• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

It is really hard to be a VU football fan

Started by IndyValpo, September 15, 2013, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

I had basically stopped paying attention to our football team. When Carlson was named coach I decided to try to follow it again.  It is incredibly hard to follow this team and I am not even talking about the wins and losses.

There was no legimate preview ever published on this years team.  I do not count the coach and a few players talking.  The weekly preview is a joke and it basically is the same each week.  Players disappear from the roster, players are missing for games at a time with never a mention. 

I actually monitor the weekly 2 deep to see who is where.  This staff can't even publish a legitimate one. It can't be that hard.  A few examples from this year.  They have listed 2 guys as #2's on the DL who by all accounts haven't played yet. For the St Joe game our punter was not listed as #1 or #2 and finally one of our starting OG's was hurt and not dressed but was proudly listed as starting.

If we can't even do this I guess it should not be too surprising the product on the field.

Mercer won again last night.  That is 2 victories in 2 games which compares to our 2 victories in 36 with Carlson.  They will be playing their third brand new football team next week and will pick up win #3.

milanmiracle

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 15, 2013, 12:22:09 PM
I had basically stopped paying attention to our football team. When Carlson was named coach I decided to try to follow it again.  It is incredibly hard to follow this team and I am not even talking about the wins and losses.

There was no legimate preview ever published on this years team.  I do not count the coach and a few players talking.  The weekly preview is a joke and it basically is the same each week.  Players disappear from the roster, players are missing for games at a time with never a mention. 

I actually monitor the weekly 2 deep to see who is where.  This staff can't even publish a legitimate one. It can't be that hard.  A few examples from this year.  They have listed 2 guys as #2's on the DL who by all accounts haven't played yet. For the St Joe game our punter was not listed as #1 or #2 and finally one of our starting OG's has hurt and not dressed but was proudly listed as starting.

If we can't even does this I guess it should not be too surprising the product on the field.

Mercer won again last night.  That is 2 victories in 2 games which compares to our 2 victories in 36 with Carlson.  They will be playing their third brand new football team next week and will pick up win #3.

Yep, I completely agree. I think that would fall under accountability. I am sure he has some motivational quote referencing accountability, but I am not bothering to look it up. I'll just follow with this..."we have to finish plays". Haha
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VU75

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 15, 2013, 02:43:36 PMMercer won again last night.  That is 2 victories in 2 games

For the record, both teams Mercer has beaten are also first year football programs. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: VU75 on September 15, 2013, 05:20:21 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on September 15, 2013, 02:43:36 PMMercer won again last night.  That is 2 victories in 2 games

For the record, both teams Mercer has beaten are also first year football programs. 

That's just smart scheduling. Nothing like giving kids who haven't been part of a college program a chance to be successful. Success breeds success.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 15, 2013, 05:31:15 PM
Quote from: VU75 on September 15, 2013, 05:20:21 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on September 15, 2013, 02:43:36 PMMercer won again last night. That is 2 victories in 2 games
That's just smart scheduling. Nothing like giving kids who haven't been part of a college program a chance to be successful. Success breeds success.
True,  but Valpo just played 2 - Div II tomato can teams, no even good Div. II teams, that they should have no trouble with.  Who knows how Valpo would have done with those starter programs.  Mercer will likely beat Valpo right now and will be a stronger program.  Mercer appears to have a strong vision, good raw talent, a beautiful stadium and a plan on where they want to be.

classof2014

I feel for many of the players on the team. Especially the seniors who will be damn lucky to win 3 games over their 4 years at VU.

Sadly, the team has turned into a joke. I honestly think a high school team can beat them. This is 100% on the coaching staff, the whole staff should be fired once this season is over unless the coaches show they can win. It's not the kids fault it's by far the coaching. Many times, I've seen a team win 1 or 2 games maybe a season or two then turn it around and at least be .500 as the kids mature. Having just 3 wins over the past 4 years (possibly 5 after this season) is absolutely pitiful. I think the best thing for the program right now might be to go away from it for a few years and bring it back. The football program needs a fresh start to say the least.

Luckily as a VU fan at least we have many other sports where we are extremely successful or at the least competitive in. 

Don't know about you guys but I'm counting down the days till the basketball season starts.

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on September 15, 2013, 06:18:21 PMThat's just smart scheduling. Nothing like giving kids who haven't been part of a college program a chance to be successful. Success breeds success.

How many times does it happen that 4 brand new football programs start up in the same year?  Mercer and Stetson are extremely lucky to have these other 2 programs starting up at the same time. It's smart to take advantage of the situation but this is a very unique situation with these 4 schools.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

We had a Valpo DFW Club event at the Rangers game yesterday, and there was a previous football player (Dominick Bellotte, '09) in attendance that had married Erin Murray (ex-women's soccer GK, '08).  Neither are from DFW, but have moved here for work at Haliburton.  Both were also very embarrassed of the direction Valpo football has gone, even with Dominick saying that Stacy Adams was a terrible coach as well (his coach for all 4 years, and he was a starter).  In short, we all know of our shortcomings in a sport that has its scores on ESPN tickers, and really need this to change soon!
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

How about a shout out to Tom Horne?   

For all the guff he took.....he had to get kicked in the teeth week after week in D-2 until we hooked up with the Pioneer League.  Then he took the same circumstances at VU that we have now and actually won titles in 2000 and 2003 (maybe I have the years wrong, but there were two titles).     He left suddenly just before the season started and we were left with Adams who was never cut out to be a head coach. 

But then,,,,,,,,,,, we got a fresh chance and just flushed it by hiring the current guy.

valpotx

Yes, the PFL title years were in 2000 and 2003.  QBs were Murrell Shields and David Macchi.  Murrell was one heck of an athlete, as when we played basketball pickup games, the dude could leap to almost touch the top of the backboard...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUOR63

No kidding.  It is hard to be a Valpo fan.  I played between '01 and '04 and the reason for going to VU was first and foremost to win a championship--nothing else.  I had gone to the Valpo-USD game in 2000 to check out the Toreros and Valpo kicked their ass.  That made my decision for me.  The first couple years were tough--similar to what the current team is going through--but the players and coaches all had a heightened intensity level about the way we took care of our business.  There is no doubt that the stars aligned in 2003 (a good offense and opportunistic defense) but we were also really good and I don't think the success was a fluke.

Hopefully this team can turn it around.  It seems like they have a really good offense--the defense needs to get maybe 5 or 6 stops a game and they can have some success.  And, hey, if they don't turn it around, then we have Midnight Madness for basketball just around the corner!  Go VU!

VUdad

I agree with VUOR63. Plenty of potential talent on offense, including a solid line this year, more downfield passes, and decent running. Plenty ofmguys not seeing reps yet looked good in the spring game. If the defense stands firmer and prevents the big plays, we have a different season.

historyman

Quote from: VUOR63 on September 19, 2013, 12:14:05 PMthen we have Midnight Madness for basketball just around the corner!

Just FYI, Valpo didn't have midnight madness last year. That kind of celebration has sort of fizzled out. They had a dinner for season ticket holders and they had an actual practice and then talked to the fans. They had held a practice earlier in the day.

If someone wants to start a new thread with any plans that VUMBB has to "kick-off" the season that might be a good idea. I have not heard of any yet.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann