• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Morehead State @ Valpo

Started by VULB#62, October 13, 2013, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Last year, after beating Campbell at Campbell and then barely losing in OT to Davidson 27-28, the Crusaders closed the season by getting thrashed at Morehead 24-76.

As FloridaFB said in the Mercer string, they are beatable this year.  Hopefully, there is a revenge factor going, and the game is at home.  On the other hand, MSU is coming off their bye week, which they won convincingly.

Morehead snapshot:
2-4, but beat Campbell and Davidson for a 2 win win streak coming into the VU game.
Lost to Pikeville (who?)
Gave up 67, 69, 56 points to YSU, Jacksonville and Eastern Kentucky respectively.  Outscored Campbell 45-36.
They start a freshman QB who  went 25-36-292 against Davidson and 26-34-334 vs. Campbell.  RB is by committee with no one getting large totals.

Looks like a match between two team who can't stop anyone.  Look for 45-42 Morehead win in regulation.

milanmiracle

I can't believe I actually bothered to look this up, but Valpo is averaging 21pts per in conference games. So going with that I'll say Valpo will hit their average. Then I figure that Morehead is worse than last year, so they won't hit 76 again...I'll say 56. Additionally, Morehead is  unlikely to borrow the Campbell uniforms, so we know Valpo won't win.

Morehead State 56 Valpo 21.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VUdad

Our running game, even without JH, has to emerge soon. This is the week. 38-31 Valpo win.
--Or--
Our running game doesn't emerge, and we lose 35-21.
I'll predict the win.

vu72

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 13, 2013, 01:53:10 PM
I can't believe I actually bothered to look this up, but Valpo is averaging 21pts per in conference games. So going with that I'll say Valpo will hit their average. Then I figure that Morehead is worse than last year, so they won't hit 76 again...I'll say 56. Additionally, Morehead is  unlikely to borrow the Campbell uniforms, so we know Valpo won't win.

Morehead State 56 Valpo 21.

If we lose 56-21 to Morehead, I will personally begin warming up the tar.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bluehorseshoe

New group of RB's will be there to help get the running game going and then lanes for Hoffman seam, skinny post and deep x routes will be there!
On D...can't get beat deep or have mix ups in basic coverages...or give the long 90+ yard drives. Need some picks, big hits and forced fumbles to slow that down ASAP.   

Kicking game is coming on. VALPO 31-28

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am wrong, but Morehead State record wise is about the same as last year.  Last year, MSU won in blowout fashion.   Why would this be any different?

MSU 48
Valpo 28

historyman

I'm thinking Morehead is closer to Valpo this season. Still Valpo's defense will give up too many points for Valpo's offense to make up.

Morehead State   31
Valpo                 24
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

You really can't use last season's game to make a score prediction for this season's game because they play the games on different fields and in front of different home fans.

I like a prediction that is much closer than last year.

Morehead State 42
Valparaiso 34

VULB#62

Actually, I was at the MSU game 2 years ago at Brown Field.  It was kind of competitive until the 4th qtr.  Final was 14-38.  Starting there, and assuming Hoffman is more mature and the MSU freshman QB still needs seasoning, I'll revise my prediction:  MSU 38 - VU 31.

covufan

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 13, 2013, 01:53:10 PMAdditionally, Morehead is  unlikely to borrow the Campbell uniforms, so we know Valpo won't win.
Maybe this is the new way to win home games!  Steal their uni's and leave Campbell uniforms in the visiting lockerroom!  There might actually be some merit in this approach!

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on October 14, 2013, 11:15:18 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on October 13, 2013, 01:53:10 PMAdditionally, Morehead is  unlikely to borrow the Campbell uniforms, so we know Valpo won't win.
Maybe this is the new way to win home games!  Steal their uni's and leave Campbell uniforms in the visiting lockerroom!  There might actually be some merit in this approach!

Speaking of Campbell.  I would have thought that in their first year under Minter's firey leadership they'd be better than they've shown.

Valposter

Quote from: vu72 on October 13, 2013, 05:45:34 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on October 13, 2013, 01:53:10 PMI can't believe I actually bothered to look this up, but Valpo is averaging 21pts per in conference games. So going with that I'll say Valpo will hit their average. Then I figure that Morehead is worse than last year, so they won't hit 76 again...I'll say 56. Additionally, Morehead is unlikely to borrow the Campbell uniforms, so we know Valpo won't win. Morehead State 56 Valpo 21.
If we lose 56-21 to Morehead, I will personally begin warming up the tar.

VU72, I think you are too late with the tar.  The tar is already hot, the feathers have been collected and the villagers have been amassed and awaiting the formal ceremony. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valporun

Valposter, maybe it's time to warm up the 'tar'-mac, and send this coaching staff all on a one-way ticket to anywhere, and their inflight entertainment would be reading this message board, or watching Joel Osteen read DC's Twitter feed full of his quotes, as long as that plane doesn't get hijacked, they can go off into the sunset where we won't hear from any of them again.

valpotx

I predict that this one will be closer than last year as well. 

Morehead State 42
Valpo 24
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: bluehorseshoe on October 13, 2013, 05:51:00 PM
On D...can't get beat deep or have mix ups in basic coverages...or give the long 90+ yard drives. Need some picks, big hits and forced fumbles to slow that down ASAP.   

There just has been no improvement in the defense in these areas since Carlson became coach except the defensive line this year. I just don't see it happening soon.

I really believe the only way to win is to outscore the opponent. Until Hoffman manages to get the offense fine tuned enough to overcome the lapses on defense Valpo doesn't win while Carlson is head coach.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

willy

The defense is giving up an average of 487 yards a game.  Our opponents are averaging 230 yards a game rushing while we are averaging 77. I Don't see another victory on the schedule with the other team being able to control the ball and us being so one dimensional.

Morehead State 45
Valpo 21

IndyValpo

Great first half....keep the offense going!!

VULB#62

Loss -- 28-42

VU ahead 28-19 at the half.  Shut out in 2nd half while giving up 23 unanswered points

MSU QB goes 41/52/458  that's a completion %age of 78.8%   :o

No adjustments.  Derbak and Green had 26 tackles between them.  But the secondary gave up big gainers to a different 2nd half MSU team.

milanmiracle

And...kerplunk.

Morehead State 42 Valpo 28

I guess giving up 627 yards of offense isn't a recipe for success? Hmm...who knew? On a positive note, the halftime score was 28 to 19 in favor of Valpo. I gues those halftime adjustments didn't really help since they were outscored 23-0 in the second half. And the debacle continues. In fairness, in the first two years of Joel Osteen, the games were over by halftime. At least now they can randomly be in games, sometimes even in the second half. I guess new players for Morehead State means only scoring 42 instead of 76. "You can see them finding their rhythm on offense as they replaced the majority of their offense from last year." Eh, nevermind, what does it matter.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 13, 2013, 08:51:13 PMCorrect me if I am wrong, but Morehead State record wise is about the same as last year. Last year, MSU won in blowout fashion. Why would this be any different? MSU 48 Valpo 28
I was closest to the pin this week!   First time!

What a choke job.   Valpo was up by 9 at half, 28-19, and took advantage of 3 MSU turnovers.  And then...depression set in.

LaPorteAveApostle

So I visited FoxSports between Masses and found, to my FIRST surprise, VU on the first six scores listed on the bar. 

My SECOND surprise was that we were up 28-19 at half.

My NON surprise was going back after the next Mass and finding the final score.

But I wish I'd taken a screenshot, because the stats were ALL whacked out.

For one, it had Jake Hutson as 76 carries for 313 yards, and Morehead had thrown for nearly 800 yards, etc., etc.

OK, well, ONE of those things surprised me :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

I listened to the game on WVUR.  It was evident that Iclow's enthusiasm was dropping throughout the game, particularly after Valpo was up 14-0.  My feeling is that Morehead State was turning the ball over in the first half and Valpo take advantage of the opportunities.  In the second half, the MSU offense took complete control.

Iclow mentioned that VU's defensive line has been "outstanding" this year.  I think he listens too much to Lou Holtz.  Improved yes, but outstanding?

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on October 14, 2013, 12:28:29 PMI predict that this one will be closer than last year as well.  Morehead State 42 Valpo 24

I believe valpotx was only off by 4 points while you were off by 6 points.

[/size]
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 19, 2013, 05:09:22 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 13, 2013, 08:51:13 PM Correct me if I am wrong, but Morehead State record wise is about the same as last year. Last year, MSU won in blowout fashion. Why would this be any different? MSU 48 Valpo 28
I was closest to the pin this week!   First time! What a choke job.   Valpo was up by 9 at half, 28-19, and took advantage of 3 MSU turnovers.  And then...depression set in[size=78%][/size].[size=78%][/size]

usc4valpo

valpopal

As everyone else has suggested, the first half of the game was entertaining with a number of big plays that energized the team. Therefore, despite the history of this season, the complete turnaround in the second half seemed somewhat of a surprise and disappointing.

Below are some of my photos from the game, and I invite everyone to view a set of 21 photos containing most of the Valpo highlights at the following: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157636741176233/