• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Put your Football Head Coach ideas here

Started by IndyValpo, November 12, 2013, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

VU would be a step down for the Franklin College coach. :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on November 12, 2013, 09:04:25 AMVU would be a step down in pay, prestige, and success for the Franklin College coach.
improved it for you :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

He is probably too old as well.  His background is interesting as he was an offensive coordinator at small programs for several years and then was named head coach.  Clearly Franklin has a much better team, skill wise and coaching wise and that just shouldn't be the case.

Valpo offers a new coach a lot that a Franklin like position can't.  A Valpo coach can offer a better and more recognized degree in many areas where a Franklin cannot compete.  A Valpo coach can offer a program that travels like a major conference team (maybe more), not one bus ride after another.  Sure, our facilities are sub-par but there are many reasons why Valpo should be attracting good athletes.

The bigger question is: we just don't know how good our players are--they may be better athletes than, say, a Franklin has.  Why is that? I think we all know the answer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Who are some of the VU grads that are coaching in the college ranks?  How about former assistant coaches that might be in a position for head coach?

setshot

I understand that a coaching candidate will be at the Dayton game on Sat. Any other info?

VULB#62

Shopping List (not necessarily in priority order - don't have the time):

Enthusiastic motivator who doesn't need to rely on motivational quotes
Demands great practice effort of players and coaches
Has held position as recruiting coordinator; a plus if connections are the central Midwest; bonus if Chicagoland
Understands and has worked within the limitations of a non-scholarship, need-based financial aid system (D-III or Patriot, Ivy, PFL?)
Committed to tough defense - adaptable to available talent
Flexible offense approach that adapts to available talent; values the running game; is not commited to ball control via the pass
Management experience and skill -can build on off-field gains achieved in past 4 years
Program builder - can rally financial as well as emotional support to bolster the program
Willing to recruit the JUCO/Transfer universe in year one to fill talent gaps
Good person with high integrity

I invite posters to copy my starter list and add to it in their posts.

covufan

If the AD believes that the talent was upgraded during the last four years, we may need to think outside the box, and get someone that already has head coaching experience at the D-I level.  John L. Smith, Terry Bowden, Bill Lynch and others have taken less than Division I jobs to get back into coaching.  I think that someone like Mangino, DiNardo, Glen Mason, Jeff Jagodzinski or others may want the chance to reinvent themselves.  Also, Div. I coordinators that have been passed over for HC like the Mallory boys might want to take on a challenge like Valpo.  We could sell it as "Look what Harbaugh did with his opportunity in the PFL". 

As others have pointed out, it could be difficult with salary considerations, but our strategic plan states we should be competitive within the PFL (salary-wise). 

Chip Smith

Two Region Guys that are in college coaching that I can think of is Ted Karras and Phil Burnett. Both are Hobart Guys. Burnett is a Brady Hoke understudy. Was at Ball State for a long time (was there for almost 10 years.). I think he is at Morehead State as the Defensive Coordinator. Its a new staff at Morehead and they are trying to turn that program around. Just throwing a couple of names around. I'm going to look up Burnett's past and see where he's been. Ted Karras is the HFC at Walsh a Div. 2 school in Ohio and we all know what he did down at Marian University.

covufan

Quote from: Chip Smith on November 12, 2013, 12:57:50 PM
Two Region Guys that are in college coaching that I can think of is Ted Karras and Phil Burnett. Both are Hobart Guys. Burnett is a Brady Hoke understudy. Was at Ball State for a long time (was there for almost 10 years.). I think he is at Morehead State as the Defensive Coordinator. Its a new staff at Morehead and they are trying to turn that program around. Just throwing a couple of names around. I'm going to look up Burnett's past and see where he's been. Ted Karras is the HFC at Walsh a Div. 2 school in Ohio and we all know what he did down at Marian University.
I alluded to Ted Karras in another thread the other day.  I think he would do well here, just don't know if he would be interested.  I guess commuting from Miller might be the kicker.

usc4valpo

Mangino was vulgar at Kansas.  Maybe he has had a personality overhaul.  The man knows his football for sure.  But he will stay at YSU just for loyality and fun.

Maybe Kiffin needs a reality check and get straighten out his coaching skills!  I keed, I keed...

In reality, I would look at a good assistant from a solid PFL team (Drake, Butler, Dayton maybe since the regional roots canhelp recruiting).  This job is a stepping stone opportunity.

If you want to take a risk, there could be some fun candidates who would do it to refresh their skills.  An ex-NFL player who wants to make a difference with kids and get intot the coaching ranks.  Look at Leslie Frazier - he coached at Trinity in Deerfield, IL.

Valpo needs to make sure they follow their athletic charter and provide a reasonable salary.  I feel they may low ball a little...

MLB has some tough decisions regarding where we wants to go with the football program.  He certainly made the right first step...I think he learned a lesson from this and he will make the right choice.

VUOR63

I like the old GA and alums idea.  I said Chip Taylor, a ga on the 2003 team, on the other thread but I don't see how MLB doesn't call Brandon Sturman at Aurora (also 2003).  I heard Sam Benardi is still in Valpo too.

I think MLB knows how to hire a coach.  Example numero uno: Tracey Woodson.  What he did with the baseball program was simply amazing.  Now you need the football version.

covufan

Quote from: VUOR63 on November 12, 2013, 10:26:40 PMI think MLB knows how to hire a coach.  Example numero uno: Tracey Woodson.  What he did with the baseball program was simply amazing.  Now you need the football version.
ML (we have an ml and ml2 on the board, not so sure about major league baseball) has done a great job as AD, and needs to be commended for his work.  Baseball, golf, soccer, softball, volleyball and bowling are just examples of what the AD and the department have accomplished in the last few years.  I trust his judgement in selecting a new coach and leader for football. 

RevsR75

First post... here is a very good coach. He is a NAIA Trinity International in Chicago.  Look at his assistants... so NFL experience.

Kirk Wherritt

Before taking over as head coach of the Trojans, Wherritt's football career began as a student at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, when he began as a volunteer assistant and equipment manager for nearby Wisconsin Lutheran College, in 2002. After graduating, Wherritt joined the coaching staff at the University of Utah, where he worked during the undefeated season of 2004. That season, the mid-major Utes earned a trip to a BCS bowl, earning a victory in the Fiesta Bowl. Wherrit assisted with quaterbacks coach Dan Mullen, and worked with Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith during his collegiate career. Wherritt gained valuable experience working alongside a number of NCAA Division I head coaches, including Mullen (now at Mississippi State), Urban Meyer (Ohio State), Gary Anderson (Wisconsin), Mike Sanford (Indiana State), and Kyle Whittingham, who is currently the head coach at Utah.

covufan

Quote from: Chip Smith on November 12, 2013, 12:57:50 PMTwo Region Guys that are in college coaching
Quote from: VUOR63 on November 12, 2013, 10:26:40 PMI like the old GA and alums idea.
Getting someone that played or coached at Valpo or is from 'da Region', would bring someone with some skin in the game.  They would be returning 'home' to right the ship, so to speak.  Especially if they have the pedigree to use the Valpo position as a stepping stone to something bigger. 

When Purdue hired Tiller, after 16 years of mediocrity, he was a former Purdue assistant that righted the program - taking a 3-8 team and going 9-3.  In the first season, Jim Colletto (the previous Purdue HC and then ND Offensive Coordinator) said after Purdue beat ND: "See, we didn't leave the cupboard bare", trying to take credit for Tillers success.

Speaking of Purdue, what about Danny Hope for Valpo?

historyman

Quote from: covufan on November 13, 2013, 11:33:10 AMML (we have an ml and ml2 on the board, not so sure about major league baseball) has done a great job as AD, and needs to be commended for his work.  Baseball, golf, soccer, softball, volleyball and bowling are just examples of what the AD and the department have accomplished in the last few years.  I trust his judgement in selecting a new coach and leader for football.
I guess I like being negative today but ML and his search committee picked Carlson too. Football operates under a different mindset then the rest of the athletic dept when it comes to financing that program and that is exactly what many posters have stated that they think should change. If the school doesn't make a new kind of commitment to football nobody can win at Valpo.

Anyone else agree?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

78crusader

I will say this: it will be very, very difficult to win at Valparaiso University as long as Brown Field is the worst facility in the PFL.  We need a new stadium.  I've said this before on this board, but other schools have done it. Albion College up in Michigan several years ago got tired of playing its home games at a local high school (!).  They raised the money and built a new stadium for around 6.5 million.  It looks terrific. 

Paul

usc4valpo

Compared to these other schools, is Valpo strapped for cash? 

Or do we not care about football? Should Valpo adequately commit funds and energy to make this program respectable?   MLB and the administration needs to have a reality check - either you support football as needed, or bag it.

BTW, I think MLB at the end will do the right thing.  I am sure he has learned from the Carlson hiring.

a3uge

Nobody can justify spending millions on a new football stadium before the ARC is replaced or upgraded. You cant spend millions on a team that doesn't win and isn't popular and not the basketball team that does win and is very popular.

VULB#62

I spoke with Mark. The biggest lesson he has learned, as we also concluded as members of this board, is that there is a big difference between starting a program from scratch and turning a program around.  He most certainly will factor that into the search.

I'm a facilities biggot, but I agree with a3uge.  Until we are a competitive football program again, the rebuiling of the stands has to wait.  If what has been posted about the track finally going in is correct, that will improve the general atmosphere greatly.  Other cosmetic improvements (like a first rate permanent fence around the complex, nice landscaping, etc.)  would also help and not bankrupt the school.

setshot

Given the nepotism mindset at Valpo a concern of mine and of many 50's graduates is that we not go that route again. Does anyone know whether ML.the "Heck" or the Drews have relatives that are football coaches?

usc4valpo

Like I said, the is not just money or facilities but the energy and attention that is needed to make this football program work.

I agree that money and energy spent on strengths and making them stronger is the right stategy.  Thus, improving the ARC is a priority.  I would expand it on the North end and make it a 7000 seat facility.  Also, improve concessions and sell beer at games.

VULB#62

???   The Football website no longer has Carlson as Coach.  Mike Gravier is positioned as interim coach.

valpotx

She was saying to get rid of the comment that he was relieved of his duties.

I won't comment on the other portion of Laura's post, as you can tell she is related to a player, and I have made my views known about players vs. coaching and responsibility for losing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I'd guess one reason Dale was let go before the last game, was so the focus would be on the Srs and not when the coach was going to be let go.