• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball in the Dominican Republic this week during Thanksgiving break!!

Started by Valposter, November 25, 2013, 10:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valposter

Valpo Baseball is in the Dominican Republic this week for Thanksgiving break.  They left Saturday, 11/23 and are scheduled to return Friday, 11/29.  Playing games against MLB-sponsored Dominican baseball academy teams (Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals).  Also charity work planned; visiting an orphanage and holding a youth camp and donating baseball equipment to Domincan youth.  Some fun in the sun and beach time planned as well.  A great life experience and lasting memories for the Valpo Boys of Summer!!!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2013-14/13180/baseball-heads-to-dominican-republic---for-work-and-play/
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

It will definitely be an eye opener for them to see the conditions of where most DR kids play sports.  Outside of Punta Cana, the DR is very impoverished.  Just like Cancun and Cozymel in Mexico, the only reason Punta Cana looks nice is because of the foreign investment/tourist dollars, which typically don't support the local population much anyways.  A great life event to see how lucky they are, and how we can help others!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Valpotx, good insight and observation.  Like most Americans, I have never been to a third world or under-developed county so I can't really comprehend the level of poverty.  I am sure it is an eye-openning experience for the Valpo baseball team.  The players and coaches funded the trip themselves with fundrasier activities so they really should be commended for their hard work and sacrifice to help others less fortunate. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

They are definitely to be commended for this trip and experience, Valposter!

I have been to many of the Caribbean islands/Mexico, and it is amazing the perception we have as Americans of such places (beach, fantastic accomodations, happy people, etc), vs. the areas surrounding the ports/hotels on the beaches.  Everywhere you stay as a tourist is absolutely fantastic, but if you go even a few hundred yards outside of such areas, it is very depressing to see the conditions of the local populace.  Especially with cruises, you would think that the locals gain prosperity from all of the passengers.  It is actually the opposite, as you spend your money in the shops owned by foreign companies, and worked/run most often by ex-Indian nationals or other people from outside the specific island.  Therefore, you actually are hurting the locals by not purchasing their products, or dining in their establishments away from the tourist areas.  I try to make a point of buying/eating in local joints, outside of the mainstream, just for this reason.  Every single Caribbean island is this way, with the nice resort areas, and third world living conditions outside of these areas.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Concur with you TX. To get to some of the great resorts in PR you drive through some really poor and seedy  neighborhoods, then you go through the gate to the resort and it's paradise.  Same in the USVI.  DR and Haiti, even more so.  Because I spend most of my Caribbean time sailing down there rather than staying at resorts, I get to a lot of local stores and  eatting spots -- they are sometimes the highlights of trips. Glad the BB team is doing this.

bbtds

Quote from: Valposter on November 25, 2013, 10:39:14 AM
Valpo Baseball is in the Dominican Republic this week for Thanksgiving break.  They left Saturday, 11/23 and are scheduled to return Friday, 11/29.  Playing games against MLB-sponsored Dominican baseball academy teams (Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals).  Also charity work planned; visiting an orphanage and holding a youth camp and donating baseball equipment to Domincan youth.  Some fun in the sun and beach time planned as well.  A great life experience and lasting memories for the Valpo Boys of Summer!!!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2013-14/13180/baseball-heads-to-dominican-republic---for-work-and-play/

Is that the Dominican Baseball Academy run by Carlos Beltran, formerly with the Cardinals, but now a free agent? I saw where one of the graduates of his academy got drafted in the last MLB draft.

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on November 25, 2013, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Valposter on November 25, 2013, 10:39:14 AM

Is that the Dominican Baseball Academy run by Carlos Beltran, formerly with the Cardinals, but now a free agent? I saw where one of the graduates of his academy got drafted in the last MLB draft.

I thought this sounded weird, since Beltran is from Puerto Rico, so I Googled :).  His academy is in PR.  The DR academy is a shared space for several MLB teams, and I believe that there are several throughout the country.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/st-louis-cardinals-slugger-carlos-beltran-shares-world-series-moment-with-red-sox-scout?ymd=20131025&content_id=63345498
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 25, 2013, 03:43:44 PMI thought this sounded weird, since Beltran is from Puerto Rico, so I Googled .  His academy is in PR.  The DR academy is a shared space for several MLB teams, and I believe that there are several throughout the country.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/st-louis-cardinals-slugger-carlos-beltran-shares-world-series-moment-with-red-sox-scout?ymd=20131025&content_id=63345498

Okay, thanks for checking that out. I obviously got Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic mixed up. My mistake. I assume the Domican Republic's baseball academy has a lot more major leaguers as graduates than the new Carlos Beltran baseball academy in Puerto Rico.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 25, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
Concur with you TX. To get to some of the great resorts in PR you drive through some really poor and seedy  neighborhoods, then you go through the gate to the resort and it's paradise.  Same in the USVI.  DR and Haiti, even more so.
Brings to mind the parable of the Rich man (Dives in the Latin, I think?) and Lazerus