• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Football Head Coach announced

Started by T_$, December 10, 2013, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T_$

from footballscoop: Valpo (FCS): Sources tell us that Lehigh offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Dave Cecchini will be the new head coach at Valpo.

If this is true... this is a great hire. He is a proven winner and has a track record of recruiting high academic student-athletes.

historyman

http://www.lehighsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=751&path=football

Cecchini and his wife Tammy, an assistant coach for Lehigh's women's tennis team, have two sons, Evan and Will.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Sounds like a great hire, if so.

And, being a Viking, let's hope that his sons have the same effect on VHS football that a certain head coach's (coaches'!) son(s) had on VHS basketball some day soon!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

Quote from: historyman on December 10, 2013, 09:27:52 AMCecchini and his wife Tammy, an assistant coach for Lehigh's women's tennis team

Our current women's tennis coach has a record of 10-101 in 5+ seasons, that is football level results...perhaps we will be adding a second new head coach..

historyman

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2013/12/report-lehigh-offensive-coordinator-dave-cecchini-to-be-named-head-coach-at-valpraiso.html

Report: Lehigh offensive coordinator Dave Cecchini could be the next head coach at Valparaiso

success in developing qb:
The lefty-throwing Bialkowski had never thrown a pass in a game before the 2013 season, but in eight games before suffering a season-ending fractured collarbone at Bucknell on Oct. 26, he was 216-for-337 in the air for 2,647 yards (third best in the FCS).

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/story/Cecchini-possibly-Valparaiso-football-choice/D2e1J5OR6U-QCTR4ywT4OQ.cspx

Cecchini possibly Valparaiso football choice?

Footballscoop.com said sources indicate Cecchini will succeed Dale Carlson,

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

KL31NY

Announcement of new head coach at 8am Wednesday morning!!!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

I would be in favor of a coach from Lehigh.  A school at the FCS level with high academic standards.  I don't want to say anything about the women's tennis coach, but if something happened where we received two quality coaches in these sports, maybe we can have long-term success like what the Avery's have brought us! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/01/dave-cecchini-and-yale-coaching-search.html

Dave Cecchini and the Yale Coaching Search

It sounds like Cecchini needs a school to show he can turn a program around so he can step up to higher profile positions. He was certainly close to getting the Yale HFBC position in 2012.

VULB#62

Sounds like a done deal.  Glad it's happening now rather than later.   :clap:

Former OC -- that's fine.
Part of a resurgent program -- that's fine.
MY FERVENT HOPE -- he brings with him a freaking good DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

valpotx

Looking at his profile on their website, I am even more excited to see his previous OC and coaching experience at The Citadel and Harvard, in-between stops at Lehigh.  Similar-minded academic athletes are hard to get, and I imagine that he has a wealth of experience getting them to a program now!

Edit:I don't believe he would stay past 3-4 years before finding a better HC position (if he succeeds at Valpo), but at this point, we just need someone to make us respectable again.  If he stays for a long time, great, but if he positions us to find another quality coach, and keep having consistent teams, it will be a great hire.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Dave_2010

I like this hire. It's outside the box and safe to say that nobody on the board saw it coming. Lehigh has been a model program in the Patriot League. I was hoping for a defensive-minded coach, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt considering the program he was hired away from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a3uge

I don't understand this move at all.

Not from Valpo's standpoint, but from Cecchini's standpoint. One has to question his decision making ability to chose to coach a team with only a handful of wins in the past 5 years. Seems like a lot of risk for a guy that's had a lot of success doing what he does.

VULB#62

Could be the contract terms that we are not privy to.  If I were him, I'd leverage the offer to secure guarantees for things like better facilities, beginning immediately and continuing over the next 3 years to bring all aspects of the program to a D-IAA level. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: a3uge on December 10, 2013, 12:07:14 PMI don't understand this move at all.

Not from Valpo's standpoint, but from Cecchini's standpoint. One has to question his decision making ability to chose to coach a team with only a handful of wins in the past 5 years. Seems like a lot of risk for a guy that's had a lot of success doing what he does.

What type of coaches were you expecting us to get?  What kind of coaches wouldn't be taking a risk going to Valpo?

Lurking Dog

Quote from: a3uge on December 10, 2013, 12:07:14 PM
I don't understand this move at all.

Just speculating...he's been a coordinator for a long time without breaking into the small fraternity of Patriot and Ivy League head coaches.  Maybe he thought grabbing the Valparaiso position was worth the risk.  If he turns the Crusaders around, he'll be able to write his own career ticket.

And with his wife, you may have gotten a tennis coach, too.  What a deal.   ;)

willy

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2013, 12:30:09 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 10, 2013, 12:07:14 PMI don't understand this move at all. Not from Valpo's standpoint, but from Cecchini's standpoint. One has to question his decision making ability to chose to coach a team with only a handful of wins in the past 5 years. Seems like a lot of risk for a guy that's had a lot of success doing what he does.
What type of coaches were you expecting us to get? What kind of coaches wouldn't be taking a risk going to Valpo?
I think you need to look at the risk reward benefit.  If he loses that's what valpo always does, If he wins here he's a savior and will move onto a bigger better job.  I think someone with self confidence and belief in their abilities jumps at the opportunity.

covufan

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.  Time will tell.  I'm encouraged by the Lehigh record while he was OC the last 4 seasons -very impressive.  He was on Higgin's, Lembo's and Coen's staff in different stints with Lehigh.  It looks like Coen's record the last four years (8-3 this season) could be largely attributed to Cecchini. 

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/patriot/lehigh/yearly_totals.php

VULB#62

Also opens up the football-rich PA recruiting territory which is only the width of Ohio away.

a3uge

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 10, 2013, 12:30:09 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 10, 2013, 12:07:14 PMI don't understand this move at all.

What type of coaches were you expecting us to get?  What kind of coaches wouldn't be taking a risk going to Valpo?

I think it was a great hire... I was just being incredibly facetious about the state of the program.

I think it's safe to say a lot of us were expecting an NAIA coach or something like that, not an OC from a school that's been FCS ranked the past 3 or 4 years.

VUOR63

From a brown school to another brown school.  It's great to have the coach in place now.  Hopefully for the current players' sake, we can turn this thing around into a few wins next season.  Go Crusaders! 

talksalot

From the Mountain Hawk's most recent Game Notes...
Pronunciation Guide:

Cecchini - check-EE-nee

He's giving up the opportunity to coach against Lafayette... at Yankee Stadium next fall. (the 150th meeting of those two schools)

other fun things from the notes:

CALL IT A COMEBACK
Lehigh has had an unusual habit of rallying from double-digit defi cits to win football games. Since the start of the 2012 season, Lehigh has won six games in which it trailed by ten points or more, including last year's game at Lafayette when the Mountain Hawks overcame an 11 point first-half deficit.

Season Opp. Largest Defi cit
2012 Fordham 14 points, 7:24, 1st Qtr.
2012 HC 12 points, 4:05, 3rd Qtr.
2012 Lafayette 11 points, 0:11, 1st Qtr.
2013 CCSU 20 points, 10:46, 4th Qtr.
2013 Princeton 19 points, Halftime
2013 UNH 16 points, 13:54, 2nd Qtr

setshot

Hell, he lost the biggest game of the year to a down trodden Lafayette team. Miracle worker --bull poop. Still, I wish him the best although this looks like another "nepo" decision. ???

vu72

Quote from: setshot on December 10, 2013, 01:08:14 PM
Hell, he lost the biggest game of the year to a down trodden Lafayette team. Miracle worker --bull poop. Still, I wish him the best although this looks like another "nepo" decision. ???
[/b]

Let's hope so, all the others have worked out very well!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Dave_2010

Quote from: setshot on December 10, 2013, 01:08:14 PMHell, he lost the biggest game of the year to a down trodden Lafayette team. Miracle worker --bull poop. Still, I wish him the best although this looks like another "nepo" decision. ???

It's worth noting that this "downtrodden" Lafayette team finished 4-1 in league play and had won 3 of 4 headed into the game, including beating a previously unbeaten, top-10, scholarship offering Fordham team.