• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014 Football Roster

Started by IndyValpo, July 24, 2014, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Some disappointments today....the football roster has been updated and we apparently lost 4 more recruits:

QB Conner Smith from Indianapolis
DB Javonta Swinton from Florida (Stetson)
DE Zac Wright from Tennessee
WR Patrick Zeller from San Diego

All these guys looked to have potential.

An update on the two recruits we lost earlier:
DB Christian Coleman is going to run track at Tennessee
OL Brendan Weis is at Arkansas State

VULB#62

:(

All programs experience 'some' recruit attrition.  It just happens.  Yet, this may or may not be a valid thought: until our program proves it is competitive and wins games, we will be subject to a higher attrition rate than most.  But I am confident that the new staff can turn this around.

usc4valpo

Welcome to non-scholarship football.  For these players, it is a huge monetary commitment.  They may get some scholarship money but finances are a concern, especially for a football program working to gain credibility.

Things will get better I believe, and it will take time.

BTW, I saw the coaching roster and Teegarden is gone.

valpopal

It appears we will be getting some help on the defensive line from a 6'3" 230 lb. UNC grad!

[tweet]492328962538741760[/tweet]

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 24, 2014, 11:49:04 AM
BTW, I saw the coaching roster and Teegarden is gone.

Yes, he left quite a while ago for IU.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on July 24, 2014, 12:12:03 PM
It appears we will be getting some help on the defensive line from a 6'3" 230 lb. UNC grad!

[tweet]492328962538741760[/tweet]

Scraped this from the UNC Football Website from last year's beginning of the season roster:

Joined the team as a walk-on as a defensive end prior to the 2010 season • Saw his first career action in the Independence Bowl vs. Missouri • Played for coach Michael Jalazo at Clearwater Central Catholic in Madeira Beach, Fla. • 2008 Pinellas County honorable-mention as a junior, 2009 Pinellas County second team as a senior • Voted to the Palms of Pinellas Senior All-Star Game in 2009 • Also was a four-year letterwinner in weightlifting • Earned second place in sub-sectionals as a junior and fourth place as a senior • Also played basketball • Favorite NFL team is the Green Bay Packers • Born Alec Robert Petrocelli on April 11, 1991 • Nickname is "Petro" • Son of Robert and Suzanne Petrocelli • Majoring in exercise and sport science.

LaPorteAveApostle

It might seem like a lot of transfers, but consider the size of the roster.

1 transfer in basketball (with which we are all familiar, and by all i mean "everyone in D1"), with 13 scholarship players, is equivalent to 7 transfers from a 91-member FB roster, so it's unfortunate but not unexpected!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 24, 2014, 10:25:38 AMSome disappointments today....the football roster has been updated and we apparently lost 4 more recruits:

QB Conner Smith from Indianapolis

I've heard that Conner Smith from Perry Meridian will be at IU also. I've heard that he will be a walk-on but even if he doesn't make the team he will stay at IU.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on July 25, 2014, 01:10:59 PM
I've heard that Conner Smith from Perry Meridian will be at IU also. I've heard that he will be a walk-on but even if he doesn't make the team he will stay at IU.

Could be a combination of cost combined with an IU invitation to walk on -- Former VU coach Teegarten is now on their staff and he knows Smith.  The cost would possibly keep him at IU, but if FB means that much to him, how long could taht last.  Wish him well.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on July 25, 2014, 01:10:59 PMI've heard that Conner Smith from Perry Meridian will be at IU also. I've heard that he will be a walk-on but even if he doesn't make the team he will stay at IU.

It is a good time to be a QB walk-on at IU.  QB's #2 and #3 last year transferred out.  Their scholarship QB's total three, two of which are true freshmen.  One of these was a HS back-up from Louisiana named Cameron. His dad, the current OC at LSU, a one time head coach in the NFL is an IU grad. I would think Smith, given his size and ability should make it easily.  Will he play, doubtful. QB #4 last year was a walk-on would actually got into the first two blow outs.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 25, 2014, 02:49:27 PMOne of these was a HS back-up from Louisiana named Cameron. His dad, the current OC at LSU, a one time head coach in the NFL is an IU grad.
And former IU Football Head Coach.  And played for (while at IU) two talking heads on ESPN.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 25, 2014, 02:32:08 PMThe cost would possibly keep him at IU, but if FB means that much to him, how long could taht last.  Wish him well.
He might possibly be ahead of the game here.  If football does mean that much to him, and his long term goal is to coach football, being a walk-on at IU (or even a football manager) might gain him more opportunities to coach HS football in Indiana after graduation than playing at VU.  Just a guess.

IndyValpo

The class continues to shrink:
LB Colton Keene apparently did not enroll.
OL Troy Bottom, OL Nick Eder, WR Stephen Kelly are also no longer on the roster.

VULB#62

Yep.  By my count they are now down to a class of 20.

We've lost the following so far:

Colton Keene   LB   6-1   205      FL
Zac Wright       DE    6-2   240      Tenn
Christian Coleman   DB   5-9   155      GA
Patrick Zeller   WR   5-11   185      CA
Brenden Weis    OL   6-3   290      MO
Conner Smith   QB   6-3   220      IN
Javonte Swinton   DB   6-0   175      FL
Troy Bottom    OL   6-1   260   FL
Nick Eder    OL   6-1   250       IN
Steven Kelly    WR   6-3   190       MD

LaPorteAveApostle

Bottom's out?  Oh boy...guess some weren't too keene on Valpo...that doesn't make them wright, though.  Word to the weis:  what doesn't kelly'll make you stronger.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Any of these have to do with Teegarden leaving?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

3 out of the 10 who we lost were from Florida, 1 from Georgia and 2 from Indiana -- Teegardin's old recruiting territories.  But there may not be a direct link -- none of those kids would be playing for IU (except maybe QB Conner Smith).

usc4valpo

I doubt it.  Do you really think a bunch of players are going to change their minds and not go to Valpo because an assistant coach of a non-scholarship football team left?   It takes a huge financial commitment  to go to Valpo.  I am sure there a lot of personal reasons these students decided not to attend.

VULB#62

So do I.  The kid from GA went to U of Tenn on a track scholarship. We do know Smith is going to IU and will walk on.  Eder was a late signee but was from the same HS as Smith (Perry Meridian). Kelley was coming and even had an assigned number.  He was a great pickup at 6'3 and had great leaping ability as a WR.  That was my biggest disappointment.  Maybe the 3 kids from FL discovered that it snows in Indiana in the winter and they got cold feet.    ::)  But I'm sure there is a story behind each one that we'll likely never know.

VULB#62

Apparently there is a reaction to the fact that some of the commits uncommitted.  Here's to the 21 in the class of 2014.  Be sure to click on the Instagram link embedded in the tweet.

https://twitter.com/realcoachvince/status/497531584342683648

This could be a "chip on the shoulder" kind of thing.  That's good.

valpotx

Wasn't it the QB from FL that was our best QB signing? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on August 10, 2014, 12:09:13 AM

Dalton Stokes (6-0, 185) from Florida, who stuck with his commitment, and Conner Smith (6-3, 220) from Indiana, who did not, were the two most talked about QB recruits early on.  I asked about the two and was told that Smith was the classic pocket passer, much like Eric Hoffman.  Stokes was more versatile and mobile. At the time the New Jersey QB, Ryan Clark (6-4, 225) had not signed, so I don't know how he fits in.  But back to Smith vs. Stokes, the football staff did not say which of the two was best, only that both were good and each brought a different game to the field.

Pgmado

Was Smith the one that was in the car accident?

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 10, 2014, 07:34:14 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 10, 2014, 12:09:13 AM

Dalton Stokes (6-0, 185) from Florida, who stuck with his commitment, and Conner Smith (6-3, 220) from Indiana,who dis not, were the two most talked about QB recruits early on.  I asked about the two and was told that Smith was the classic pocket passer, much like Eric Hoffman.  Stokes was more versatile and mobile. At the time the New Jersey QB, Ryan Clark (6-4, 225) had not signed, so I don't know how he fits in.  But back to Smith vs. Stokes, the football staff did not say which of the two was best, only that both were good and each brought a different game to the field.

Speaking of Conner Smith, I've now heard that two weeks or so ago he didn't like the walk-on situation with Coach Wilson at IU and is now looking for a different school. I wish there was some way that his family could find the money for Conner to attend Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

He could play for Russ Radtke, and they could call the new school "Conner Prairie"