• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Football Team Should Be Considered for the BCS College Football Playoff

Started by a3uge, December 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I hope the Phil Knight Express, Oregon, faces and defeats Alabama in the National title game. This has been a matchup many would love to see for quite awhile. It is time for my beloved Pac12 to put up or shut and get respect. I want to hear Phyllis and Saban cry in their moonshine.

As for the rest of the Pac 12, UCLA, Arizona and ASU are building excellent teams. And USC is off sanctions, and they will be back two years as they get their scholarship allotment back.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 12, 2014, 07:09:11 AM
I hope the Phil Knight Express, Oregon, faces and defeats Alabama in the National title game. This has been a matchup many would love to see for quite awhile. It is time for my beloved Pac12 to put up or shut and get respect. I want to hear Phyllis and Saban cry in their moonshine.

As for the rest of the Pac 12, UCLA, Arizona and ASU are building excellent teams. And USC is off sanctions, and they will be back two years as they get their scholarship allotment back.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ohio State plays Florida State for the title and, when the dust settles, The Buckeyes prevail!! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on December 12, 2014, 09:09:03 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ohio State plays Florida State for the title and, when the dust settles, The Buckeyes prefail!! 

I agree, I don't think tOSU wins the title either, but I think they lose to 'Bama.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

I think Oregon or FSU to burst almost everyone's bubbles!!!

Book it!!!

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 12, 2014, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: vu72 on December 12, 2014, 09:09:03 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ohio State plays Florida State for the title and, when the dust settles, The Buckeyes prefail!! 

I agree, I don't think tOSU wins the title either, but I think they lose to 'Bama.

Very funny.  Now fixed!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Ohio State is going to be outclassed against Bama, something like 49-14 is my guess.  It's a joke that they got in over TCU and Baylor, with that fantastic home loss to VT.  I don't care that it was week 2 or 3, it still counts.  TCU lost on the road against a top 5 team on a last second FG, Baylor lost AT WVU.  All had similar SOS and top 25/50 wins when playing ranked teams at the time of the game. 

Just like this joke of a game, where ND did not deserve to be in the title game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=330070333
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx, I had a good feeling you would respond to this, and I tend to agree with you. I am sure that the decision was difficult and close, but at the end Ohio State would generate more fandom and more cash compared to Baylor or TCU.  IMO, TCU is playing out of their minds right now and I think a TCU-Bama matchup would be more intriguing than Bama against Ohio St, who let's face it, play  in a bogus Big 10 conference.  Also, I know Baylor beat TCU head to head, and I respect that.  But if I take the eye test, just I thought TCU was the best out of the three.

What is really crazy is that TCU won 56-3, and they drop 3 spots. Perhaps they needed to drop a 100 on the Clones.

regarding National title games, as a USC fan and alum I can feel the pain for Baylor and TCU. USC has been on the wrong end of that decision a couple of times in the past 12 years. Go Ducks!

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2014, 04:20:34 AMOhio State is going to be outclassed against Bama, something like 49-14 is my guess.  It's a joke that they got in over TCU and Baylor, with that fantastic home loss to VT.  I don't care that it was week 2 or 3, it still counts.  TCU lost on the road against a top 5 team on a last second FG, Baylor lost AT WVU.  All had similar SOS and top 25/50 wins when playing ranked teams at the time of the game. Just like this joke of a game, where ND did not deserve to be in the title game: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=330070333
And here I thought having an actual 4 team playoff for the NC would take all the controversy out of deciding #1. Of course if they go to an 8 team playoff that would solve all the controversy. Lord knows there's no controversy in the 68 team field that the basketball committee picks. (for the challenged--yes, that was sarcasm)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Well we're just going to have to wait and see how this plays out.  In the meantime, I watched a FCS quarter final last night--Chattanooga v. New Hampshire (ranked number 1).  Adam Amin had the call and did his normal fantastic job!  UNH won the game, played at their field, which is being remodeled to seat 11000 (16000 students) and just happens to have a track around it!

So here's a question which probably has to obvious an answer but I'll ask it anyway.  The FCS system has worked, and worked well for many years. The title game is played each year right here in a suburb of Dallas--Frisco.  The BCS system never has anybody claiming to have been screwed by "the committee".  The BCS has what? 32 teams?  So if it works for the FCS why not the FBS? Maybe 32 is to cumbersome but 16 sure wouldn't be.  Just askin...

usc4valpo

historyman - you are very much on spot!!!!!!

I remember the BCS when it stood for - boy computers suck!

usc4valpo

72 - they will not go to a playoff because of money from all these bogus corporate bowls. This has nothing to do with academics.  With bowls, they can plan, get their sponsors, get host cities engaged, and fans only have to make one trip for a game.  With a 16-team playoff, you could have up to 4 games, 4 places to travel, cities that will not be as engaged, less emphasis of floats along Colorado Boulevard, etc.  Also, the false accomplishment of a reaching a bogus bowl becomes more false. Also, there will be less tickets sales, which for major college football is a critical revenue resource.

I am overwhelmed by the number of bowls BTW.  I think it is a gen Y issue.  All teams, players and coaches have to feel great about themselves and that a 6-6 record is a great accomplishment.  They need their warm fuzzy and get a trip to Detroit.  Everyone gets their cake and ice cream at the end.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 13, 2014, 08:05:39 AM
tx, I had a good feeling you would respond to this, and I tend to agree with you. I am sure that the decision was difficult and close, but at the end Ohio State would generate more fandom and more cash compared to Baylor or TCU.  IMO, TCU is playing out of their minds right now and I think a TCU-Bama matchup would be more intriguing than Bama against Ohio St, who let's face it, play  in a bogus Big 10 conference.  Also, I know Baylor beat TCU head to head, and I respect that.  But if I take the eye test, just I thought TCU was the best out of the three.

What is really crazy is that TCU won 56-3, and they drop 3 spots. Perhaps they needed to drop a 100 on the Clones.

regarding National title games, as a USC fan and alum I can feel the pain for Baylor and TCU. USC has been on the wrong end of that decision a couple of times in the past 12 years. Go Ducks!

I just found it hilarious that some commentators were saying that OSU finished strong.  Yes, they beat the crap out of Wisconsin, but before that they had to squeak out victories AT HOME against Indiana, Michigan, at Minnesota, at Michigan State, and also took 2 OTs to beat PSU a few weeks before on the road.  I also heard that Baylor and TCU didn't play as strong of an out of conference schedule, which is true.  But that is over 3 games.  OSU had the 4th EASIEST conference schedule between ANY the Power 5 teams (8 games)!!!  The minimal out of conference games count more than 8 games (9 for TCU)??  People also say that OSUs loss was in week 2, well, TCU's loss at Baylor was in week 5.  Yes, TCU would probably be the #1 seed if they hadn't blow that 21 point lead in the 4th quarter, but don't give me these reasons.  It was about avoiding the controversy of picking TCU or Baylor, with both schools having an argument against each other.  It was a decision to take the sole conference champ, and take the easy way out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Blame Bowlsby.  If TCU or Baylor for that matter win a BIG XII championship game, this co-champion foolishness doesn't happen in the first place and it's likely that OSU and the BIG are the odd man out in that situation, IMO.

LaPorteAveApostle

Eh, you don't need a conference championship game to have a champion.  we managed to do it for decades before they were around!

i can understand not wanting the 12 teams that are needed for a title game, because i don't think you can find the members that bring enough value to offset the increased denominator.

but i can't understand compounding that problem by not breaking a tie.

oh, and being married to a bama girl will make rooting against osu PARTICULARLY fun this year.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: crusaderjoe on December 13, 2014, 02:09:51 PM
Blame Bowlsby.  If TCU or Baylor for that matter win a BIG XII championship game, this co-champion foolishness doesn't happen in the first place and it's likely that OSU and the BIG are the odd man out in that situation, IMO.
this was the message I received when I heard that OSU made it in - "you need to win a conference championship game in a big way to get into our group of four!"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2014, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on December 13, 2014, 08:05:39 AM

I just found it hilarious that some commentators were saying that OSU finished strong.  Yes, they beat the crap out of Wisconsin, but before that they had to squeak out victories AT HOME against Indiana, Michigan, at Minnesota, at Michigan State, and also took 2 OTs to beat PSU a few weeks before on the road.  I also heard that Baylor and TCU didn't play as strong of an out of conference schedule, which is true.  But that is over 3 games.  OSU had the 4th EASIEST conference schedule between ANY the Power 5 teams (8 games)!!!  The minimal out of conference games count more than 8 games (9 for TCU)??  People also say that OSUs loss was in week 2, well, TCU's loss at Baylor was in week 5.  Yes, TCU would probably be the #1 seed if they hadn't blow that 21 point lead in the 4th quarter, but don't give me these reasons.  It was about avoiding the controversy of picking TCU or Baylor, with both schools having an argument against each other.  It was a decision to take the sole conference champ, and take the easy way out.

When you really look at the record, you can see why they picked OSU and how close the decision may have been.

Let's take a deeper look at the records.  TCU did beat Minnesota 30-7 and also beat mighty teams like SMU, Texas Tech, Texas and ISU.  Wow! that's impressive.  they also  beat a mighty Kansas team by 4 and West Virginia by 1.  West Virginia was 7-5 including losses to Texas and managed to beat Texas Tech by  4!! 

Baylor managed to lose to West Virginia.

Now, the Buckeyes did lose to Va Tech in the second game with a rookie quarterback.  Who else did they beat?  Well, Michigan State went out to Oregon and lost 46-27.  Ohio State beat them at MSU, 49-37.

Wisconsin also beat Minnesota  34-24 versus TCU's 30-7.  Guys, OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0 with a third string quarterback starting his first game.

The playoffs and bowl games will be entertaining and certainly say something about conference strength with MSU playing Baylor and Wisconsin playing Auburn plus, OSU v. Alabama.  Go Buckeyes!!
[/b]

covufan

With all of this discussion on this thread, I guess we are saying that Valpo belongs in the championship talk.

Note: this is sarcasm

valpotx

Sorry 72, the Big 10 sucks at football, and it will show through the Buckeyes getting beaten down...

Beating teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin is not impressive, despite their generous rankings.  Those teams will get routed as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

The Big Ten will dominate the SEC like I dominated the Mid-Con!!!

Guess who???
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

Most of the bowl games played now are actually games created by ESPN. The San Francisco Bowl, Boca Raton Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, and some of the various early bowl games were all created by ESPN to generate revenue and interest in college football and ratings for their scads of networks. Most of those bowl games aren't attended because fans don't have reason to travel to some of these areas that have not-so-scenic areas for people to want to attend games. Watch some of those games, and see you more empty seats and terrible football. These bowl games do more for ESPN than they do the schools playing. Also, the playoff system will do more for ESPN because they'll have reason to play up their numerous preview shows they can put on about how the four teams are prepping for their semifinal games, and then the 60-minute marathon shows that talk about practice (cue Allen Iverson) and all the buildup leading to the big National Championship game that will probably have some big name entertainer for the national anthem and halftime. It will just be a money grab for the NCAA and ESPN, and not be as exciting when it always the SEC or PAC-12  getting their overhyped team playing in the NC.

Kyle321n

A few years back I was on vacation in New Orleans in the week before Christmas and the New Orleans Bowl was that weekend. I went online and got some tickets because I wanted to see the inside of the Super Dome, tickets were only $10 (Yes cheaper than that New Mexico game) and the spread was 2 points so I thought it would be an enjoyable game. I ended up in the section next to the winning team's fan section and was about 18 rows up at the 40 yard line. If I remember correctly it was a blow out, but it was a lot of fun to see the game. If you happen to be in the town for one of these meaningless bowl games, I recommend it, they are a lot of fun.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

usc4valpo

I usually go to the Texas Bowl when I see the in-laws in Space City.

New Orleans, San Diego and San Francisco are just great places to go for a visit.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on December 16, 2014, 01:31:00 PMMost of those bowl games aren't attended because fans don't have reason to travel to some of these areas that have not-so-scenic areas for people to want to attend games.
You mean people don't want to attend a bowl named "The Mouth of a Rat"?