• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Football Team Should Be Considered for the BCS College Football Playoff

Started by a3uge, December 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 16, 2014, 03:49:12 PM
Quote from: valporun on December 16, 2014, 01:31:00 PMMost of those bowl games aren't attended because fans don't have reason to travel to some of these areas that have not-so-scenic areas for people to want to attend games.
You mean people don't want to attend a bowl named "The Mouth of a Rat"? 

I typed in "The Mouth of a Rat bowl" into google and look what came up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800851/man-36-treated-hospital-stomach-flu-finding-rat-s-head-bowl-chili-golden-corral-restaurant.html

Man found rat head in his bowl of chili

That will teach me to do google searches without thinking about what I was actually typing.  :(

usc4valpo

very similar to the Oregon State logo

Go USC, go Ducks and go conference of champions!

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on December 15, 2014, 01:23:24 AM
Sorry 72, the Big 10 sucks at football, and it will show through the Buckeyes getting beaten down...

Beating teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin is not impressive, despite their generous rankings.  Those teams will get routed as well.

How's those "routs" going for you so far??  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: vu72 on January 01, 2015, 04:11:58 PM
Sorry 72, the Big 10 sucks at football, and it will show through the Buckeyes getting beaten down...

Beating teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin is not impressive, despite their generous rankings.  Those teams will get routed as well.

ah, seems there may be some crow to eat!   ;D   :cheers: :rotfl: :dance: :thewave:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on January 01, 2015, 04:11:58 PM

Quick, tell me what lottery numbers aren't going to win tomorrow.

usc4valpo

I think Baylor's coach Art Briles needs to learn to shut up.  For the second straight year, he whined about not being in the title hunt, and then lost in their bowl game when they were favorites. Last year, they got smoked by Blake Bortles and UCF, and this year they blew a 20 point lead to MSU.

Also, give a little love to the Pac12 who has played well in their bowl games.

Oregon vs. OSU will be a great matchup. Go Ducks!

valpo64

I would love to see  both semi-pro teams, U of O and OSU lose...is that possible?

valpotx

Actually, no crow to be eaten.  The Big 10 still blows as a football conference.  I hadn't watched Alabama until yesterday, and their offense was horrible.  It wasn't OSU doing a lot of it, as it was Sims underthrowing his WRs constantly.  TCU would kick the crap out of both Alabama and OSU, after watching those teams play.  I don't really care about Baylor or Auburn losing to Michigan State and Wisconsin.  The Big 10 is still the 5th best conference in football, nothing changed with yesterday's results.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

just curious...how many more bowl games does the Big 12 have to lose for you to see the light? 

Would've thought going 1-5 would have been enough.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

If you truly believe that the Big 10 isn't the 5th best conference, please send some of that good stuff you are smoking my way!  I won't touch it, but I want to see what is causing your delusional state ;D.  I never knew that you just throw out the ENTIRE regular season and base a conference on a bunch of one-off games, that some teams care about, while others don't. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

...ok, what are you basing your conference superiority on, then, if not the intra-conference bowl games?

Seems to me the final game is as good a test as any of a team.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Here you go ;):

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

The Big 10 played the Big 12 in one bowl game.  One in which Baylor blew a 20 point lead.  The regular season RPI is a much better indicator of conference strength...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

That's nice.  Maybe next year we'll let you into the playoff sandbox.

If you all quit getting your butts kicked, of course.

valpotx

TCU didn't get their butt kicked by anyone.  Ohio State had the 4th EASIEST CONFERENCE SCHEDULE out of the entire Power 5 conferences.  You play 8 games against conference, with only 4 outside of conference.  The Big 10 is a wasteland in football.  Very good in basketball, but absolute $h!+ in football.  It's even worse in baseball, where the Big 10 is in the lower third of all conferences.  As a matter of fact, all of your schools have to recruit the South/West to even be 5th best!  Where is JT Barrett from, Saders? ;)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Harbaugh won't be winning a national championship at Michigan, and the luck from this year's bowl season for the Big 10 will come back to earth in the next few seasons. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Wait, so is TCU and Baylor in the championship, or OSU?  I think I watched the wrong game.  OSU also throttled the team that just put Baylor back in its place, FWIW.

Keep playing bowl games and you'll win another one, one of these days.

valpotx

OSU also barely beat the mighty Hoosiers (close until the end), Nittany Lions (in OT), and amazing Wolverines (sans Harbaugh).  With a cupcake conference schedule like that, TCU would have been undefeated.  OSU will be creamed by a real Oregon team.  It's just like how ND was in the championship a few years ago, and got their @$$ handed to them, in an absolute crock of even being allowed to participate in that game.  OSU will come back to reality on 1/12.  So, a 12 point victory is throttling someone, when it was close the entire game? (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547958).  Also, how is a 42-41 victory putting someone in their place?  If Baylor hadn't taken their foot off the gas when they were up 20, it would have been very ugly. 

Your wins in the bowl season are against Boston College (woo hoo, by 1 in OT), North Carolina (whoopee, by 19), Baylor (by 1), Auburn (by 3), and Alabama (terrible offensive team, by 7).  You lost to Missouri (by 16), Louisiana Tech (hahahahaha, by 17), Tennessee (by 17), Stanford (by 24), and USC (by 3).  You will end up 5-6, when OSU loses to Oregon. 

The Big 12 lost to Arkansas (by 24), Texas A&M (by 8), UCLA (by 5), Clemson (by 34), and Michigan State (by 1), while beating Ole Miss (by 39) and soon-to-be Washington.  The Big 12 will be 2-5.  Even with Texas and Oklahoma playing like crap, the +/- is just about the same (-4.6 per game for the Big 10, -5.5 for the Big 12 before seeing Oklahoma State's win against Wash).  A vast majority of the nation agrees with me that the Big 12 is better than the Big 10, and you guys are the 5th best football conference.  Take solace in your bowl victories this season, as it will be back to being a below average conference again next season ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Here's what's particularly embarrassing about your one bowl win:  you weren't even in the playoffs.

Since y'all's best team didn't make it, you had an advantage over everyone else, and still didn't match up.

I'd take my medicine and watch the B1G in the nat'l championship.

usc4valpo

tx, you rock but I hate to say it,  the Big 12 is blowing chunks in their bowl games.  TCU was simply outstanding, no doubt.  But the rest, with the exception of OK State, are laying eggs. OU was pathetic, K-State made a nice comeback but did not have enough against UCLA, but Baylor really, really choked.  UT was an embarrassment.  West Virginia did not have enough.  OK St should win tonight.

Give Ohio State credit - they played great against Alabama and deserve to be in the title game.  I think the OSU Oregon game will be a toss up.

As for the Pac 12, perhaps it is time to give these teams some respect.

valpotx

I can't give OSU credit, because they shouldn't have been in the playoffs!  They lost at home to the 6th place team in the ACC, while TCU's loss was AT a top 10 Baylor team.  It doesn't matter that it was in the first few weeks of the season, and that it was a new QB settling in.  A loss is a loss, and Ohio State had a much worse in-conference strength of schedule than both TCU and Baylor.  The Playoff Committee took the easy way out and went with a name brand, so that they didn't have to deal with the controversy of picking between TCU and Baylor.  I don't think that I will ever get over that snub, when it is obvious how much better TCU is versus 3 of the 4 playoff teams.  I think that Oregon and TCU would have been one heck of a matchup, whereas the game on 1/12 will be over by halftime. 

I haven't denied that the Big 12 blew bowl season, but you can't discount the regular season when comparing conferences.  If the Big 10 and Big 12 were playing each other in many bowls, you could make a comparison in bowl record.  Just like in basketball, you look at conference RPI to see conference depth and comparisons, and the Big 12 had a better overall season than the 5th place Big 10.  I very much respect most of the Pac 12, and also believe that the SEC is very much over-hyped.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Think of the bright side - at least we do not have to deal with Phyllis from Mulga.

Alabama fans really need to get a life...

valpotx

Ok, I will agree with you there.  I dislike Alabama more than Ohio State, so it wasn't like I was rooting for Bama.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on January 02, 2015, 03:23:30 PM
I would love to see  both semi-pro teams, U of O and OSU lose...is that possible?

Or you could have a three way game and have Michigan lose too. Most fans would believe it.

usc4valpo

The system is imperfect. In general, I think bowl game performance has more weight in evaluating a team or conference that single games in the regular season.  I am not an OSU or a Big 10 supporter. But OSU in the last few games has played outstanding.  TCU got ripped off, and now looking at it maybe FSU was not as good as we thought. Again, how do you leave a team out that went undefeated in a power conference? Baylor can whine all they want, they need to prove they can win a significant bowl game. Then there are many who think Oregon should not be in the playoff with their perception that the Pac12 is soft.

In football, the Big 10 has been weak for awhile but give them credit in their bowl performances this year.  As for the SEC, I really dislike their incredibly wimpy out of conference schedules and they are wusses for only playing 8 conference games. I talked to a Miss. St. fan who thought it was important that they face soft non conference teams in their schedule to ensure a bowl bid and keep their national title hopes alive. Well, at the end as we know, Miss St. was a hoax - imagine if they were in the playoffs!

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on January 02, 2015, 11:33:04 PM
I can't give OSU credit, because they shouldn't have been in the playoffs!  They lost at home to the 6th place team in the ACC, while TCU's loss was AT a top 10 Baylor team.  It doesn't matter that it was in the first few weeks of the season, and that it was a new QB settling in.  A loss is a loss, and Ohio State had a much worse in-conference strength of schedule than both TCU and Baylor.  The Playoff Committee took the easy way out and went with a name brand, so that they didn't have to deal with the controversy of picking between TCU and Baylor.  I don't think that I will ever get over that snub, when it is obvious how much better TCU is versus 3 of the 4 playoff teams.  I think that Oregon and TCU would have been one heck of a matchup, me.  whereas the game on 1/12 will be over by halftime

I haven't denied that the Big 12 blew bowl season, but you can't discount the regular season when comparing conferences.  If the Big 10 and Big 12 were playing each other in many bowls, you could make a comparison in bowl record.  Just like in basketball, you look at conference RPI to see conference depth and comparisons, and the Big 12 had a better overall season than the 5th place Big 10.  I very much respect most of the Pac 12, and also believe that the SEC is very much over-hyped.

I won't take the time to highlite your other "beat down"  predictions.  The BIG's top teams just played like champions.  No quit.  If Michigan State can beat the high powered Big 12 Co-Champion Baylor offense, then OSU can probably hang in there with Oregon.  I would expect that if OSU wins it will again be total luck or some such thing! 

crusaderjoe

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 03, 2015, 08:28:23 AM
The system is imperfect. In general, I think bowl game performance has more weight in evaluating a team or conference that single games in the regular season.  I am not an OSU or a Big 10 supporter. But OSU in the last few games has played outstanding.  TCU got ripped off, and now looking at it maybe FSU was not as good as we thought. Again, how do you leave a team out that went undefeated in a power conference? Baylor can whine all they want, they need to prove they can win a significant bowl game. Then there are many who think Oregon should not be in the playoff with their perception that the Pac12 is soft.

In football, the Big 10 has been weak for awhile but give them credit in their bowl performances this year.  As for the SEC, I really dislike their incredibly wimpy out of conference schedules and they are wusses for only playing 8 conference games. I talked to a Miss. St. fan who thought it was important that they face soft non conference teams in their schedule to ensure a bowl bid and keep their national title hopes alive. Well, at the end as we know, Miss St. was a hoax - imagine if they were in the playoffs!

True, no system is perfect, but TCU didn't get ripped off, IMO.  They simply lost ground the last week of the year because the conference that they were in didn't provide them with an opportunity to keep OSU out.  If you want to talk about a rip off situation, a strong argument can be made for Miami in 2000. An 11-1 FSU team played Oklahoma over an 11-1 Miami team in the title game even though Miami had 1) beaten FSU earlier in the year and 2) was ranked higher than FSU in both the AP/Coaches Polls at the end of the regular season.  Given what OSU achieved this year, and given the fact that OSU was ranked ahead of TCU at the end of the year, comparatively you can't call what happened to TCU a rip off, at all.  And trust me, I'm no OSU apologist. I'm still not over the 2002 Fiesta Bowl.

Interesting sideline to this championship game (read this on another forum).  The first National Championship basketball game in 1939 was between Oregon and OSU.   The first football playoff title game is also between Oregon and OSU.  What would be the chances of that?