• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler goes down in the Big Least

Started by vu72, March 12, 2015, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Just finished watching Xavier bear BU in the quarter finals of their tourney.  BU is a weird bunch.  I would take Barlow (who started as a walk-on) in a heartbeat.  Then you have the shooter, like Dunham, who I would also take, but looks like he just walked off the set of "The Children of the Corn". Then you have Roosevelt Jones, who is 6'4" and plays like a bull in a china shop.

An interesting group who I would love to play.  I doubt they will make it to a 5 however.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 12, 2015, 11:16:49 PM
Just finished watching Xavier bear BU in the quarter finals of their tourney.  BU is a weird bunch.  I would take Barlow (who started as a walk-on) in a heartbeat.  Then you have the shooter, like Dunham, who I would also take, but looks like he just walked off the set of "The Children of the Corn". Then you have Roosevelt Jones, who is 6'4" and plays like a bull in a china shop.

An interesting group who I would love to play.  I doubt they will make it to a 5 however.
I watched most of this as well. Maybe I should have wanted them to win and move up to a 5 but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Watched much of ND- Miami also. Very good team but I still don't see anything that leaves my knees knocking.

Long day- Butler, ND, Providence, North Carolina, Louisville but hey its March and we got a week off. I will say that the extra speed we have this year allows us to match up better with the top tier than we ever have in the past (if we are healthy).

agibson

Quote from: justducky on March 13, 2015, 12:09:46 AMWatched much of ND- Miami also. Very good team but I still don't see anything that leaves my knees knocking.

ND scored a _lot_ of points in that first half! 

valpo64

BU has been in the Big E now for 2 years and has yet to win a post-season tourney game.  Isn't that a shame.     Poor little doggies.

VULB#62

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

I really do not understand why people from Valpo dislike Butler. If Valpo had the same success as Butler, they would have done exactly the same thing (moved up conferences the opportunity presented itself). I have plenty of family that are Butler alumns and they always support Valpo.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 17, 2015, 08:31:01 PMI really do not understand why people from Valpo dislike Butler. If Valpo had the same success as Butler, they would have done exactly the same thing (moved up conferences the opportunity presented itself). I have plenty of family that are Butler alumns and they always support Valpo.

They certainly aren't like the majority of the buhoops board that most Valpo fans have interacted with on the internet.

Talking to a large section of the Butler fans I know makes me want to barf. I have a feeling I need to bulldog this one out.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo18

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 17, 2015, 08:31:01 PM
I really do not understand why people from Valpo dislike Butler. If Valpo had the same success as Butler, they would have done exactly the same thing (moved up conferences the opportunity presented itself). I have plenty of family that are Butler alumns and they always support Valpo.

I agree, I don't get why this board continues to bash Butler so much. I grew up in the region and went to Valpo, but I too know many Butler alum and they always cheer on Valpo. I have only been on the Butler boards once or twice (when Brandon Miller took a medical leave), and they sure do have some complete idiots, but they make up a small percentage of the entire fan base (like most boards do). I don't post much, but I read a lot and it seems like 1 out of every 3 threads has Butler mentioned in it somehow. Just seems a little ridiculous that we revel in their losses and have multiple threads or posts when they lose or win a big game...

VULB#62

For many Valpo alums, it's just your basic rivalry.  However, for some on this board, that rivalry has been spiced by those 'idiots.'   I know I wince a bit every time I see Butler getting the great press coverage they do -- even when their bulldog mascot throws up on the basketball court, it gets national coverage.

Another case in point -- the back page of the USAToday Sports section today.  There's a huge picture of the Butler pregame locker room and a story about coaches (Butler included) having pre-game jitters.  Butler just falls into that kind of thing.  So I guess some of the antipathy might be couched in a measure of envy.  I know I envy their celebrity.  I don't begrudge their moves up in league stature -- all the power to them, kinda wish it was us.  And I think to myself, if only we had leveraged the 98 NCAA Sweet 16 run better, that could be us.  So if, in the next couple of years we are able to get that far again (or farther???), I certainly hope the university recognizes what a powerful tool that can be both athletically AND across the board for the university as a whole.

valpotx

My dislike of Butler is not envy.  It is from playing against them on the field and their fans.  I liked several of their players that teamed up with me on summer teams, but Butler fans are horrible.  I was tempted to bring my Buck Futler shirt to our game later today, but didn't want to potentially have some of my co-workers see me on TV with such a shirt :)
"Don't mess with Texas"