• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Former VU Asst Coach Morefield Leaving Baylor

Started by valpopal, July 18, 2011, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

No surprise but sad, former VU assistant coach Mark Morefield is apparently out the door now as Scott Drew's assistant at Baylor after recent controversial text messages:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30691885?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

wh

I'm not excusing what he did, but he got burned by a sleazy high school basketball coach working with sleazy AAU connections connected to the sleazy recruiting system that is Indiana University basketball.  His only mistake was leaving a paper trail. 

rlh

I thought this had been announced a month or so ago...maybe longer.  Sorry for Morph, but the handwriting was on the wall after this violation was disclosed.  I'm a little surprised that it took this long....I wish him the best of luck...hopefully he'll land on his feet

hoopfan22

Quote from: wh on July 18, 2011, 04:45:47 PM
I'm not excusing what he did, but he got burned by a sleazy high school basketball coach working with sleazy AAU connections connected to the sleazy recruiting system that is Indiana University basketball.  His only mistake was leaving a paper trail. 
That "sleazy" high school coach just sent us a player, is sending Purdue 2 next year. What is sleazy about current IU basketball? Nothing.

rlh

besides...you know and I know that he probably knew he was breaking the rule, or at least stepping on it....

wh

Quote from: hoopfan22 on July 18, 2011, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: wh on July 18, 2011, 04:45:47 PM
What is sleazy about current IU basketball? Nothing.

You apparently don't know what you don't know.  Do a little research on IU's SLEAZY AAU connection before you say "Nothing".

mj

I believe that we will win.

hoopfan22

I've read all that before. What part of it makes IU look sleazy? The main sleazy LOOKING part is about Perea, a guy that was brought to the US by ahemscottdrewahem. Questionable? Yes. Sleazy? Hardly.

lowposter

Once you start down that slippery slope, it gets hard to put the brakes on.

EddieCabot

Another allegation about Baylor.  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17892182/ohios-dj-cooper-said-tennessee-baylor-tried-to-get-him-to-transfer  Cooper's parents say Baylor contacted him and Drew says they're lying.  Will be interesting to see if this goes any further, but it's clear Baylor plays by their own set of rules in recruiting.

covufan

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 18, 2012, 10:37:29 PM
Another allegation about Baylor.  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17892182/ohios-dj-cooper-said-tennessee-baylor-tried-to-get-him-to-transfer  Cooper's parents say Baylor contacted him and Drew says they're lying.  Will be interesting to see if this goes any further, but it's clear Baylor plays by their own set of rules in recruiting.
I can understand the pressure to always be recruiting and getting top talent to your program, but I hope that Scott would be above this, or to at least not leave a paper or electronic trail.

vu72

Quote from: covufan on March 19, 2012, 12:46:14 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on March 18, 2012, 10:37:29 PM
I can understand the pressure to always be recruiting and getting top talent to your program, but I hope that Scott would be above this, or to at least not leave a paper or electronic trail.
[/b]

Really?  Seems any of it is not something Homer would approve of or tolerate.  I'm sure Baylor, given their recent history, would not tolerate it either any more than Valpo would.  The whole thing is wierd to me.  Some of the comments left by others after the article are indeed troubling but may be just a case of bad sour grapes given all Scott's success.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I imagine if this happened that this was done by Mark Morefield as well, not Scott?
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Yeah, it's not _too_ hard to imagine an assistant at Baylor doing it.

But the article seemed to have the family claiming it was Scott himself.  Who knows, maybe it's sort of mixed-up communication.  Referring to "Scott Drew" as synonymous with Baylor basketball, etc.

valporun

The recruiting issue being associated with Scott Drew is just like Republicans saying all the things that are killing our economy, and costing the taxpayers, are Obama's fault, when some of the stuff that we're paying for now are result of bills that President Bush 43 signed before he left office, but because President Obama is in office, he inherits the wrath of the GOP swinging the blame to the sitting president, rather than the President some of the problem is really associated. Yes, I admit I am a liberal, but I'm not a fool to let the media tell me that all of this is President Obama's fault because it makes a good soundbite. All you have to do is read some of the bills that are being used against him and find out what the original language said, and not what some researcher's translation says. Scott is getting this thrown on him because the casual college basketball fan doesn't know who the assistant coaches are, unless they went to the school or follow the team.

valpo04

Quote from: valporun on March 19, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
The recruiting issue being associated with Scott Drew is just like Republicans saying all the things that are killing our economy, and costing the taxpayers, are Obama's fault, when some of the stuff that we're paying for now are result of bills that President Bush 43 signed before he left office, but because President Obama is in office, he inherits the wrath of the GOP swinging the blame to the sitting president, rather than the President some of the problem is really associated. Yes, I admit I am a liberal, but I'm not a fool to let the media tell me that all of this is President Obama's fault because it makes a good soundbite. All you have to do is read some of the bills that are being used against him and find out what the original language said, and not what some researcher's translation says. Scott is getting this thrown on him because the casual college basketball fan doesn't know who the assistant coaches are, unless they went to the school or follow the team.

Please leave politics out of the discussion.

Thanks!

valpotx

You beat me to it Valpo04!  I was going to mention that run's post belongs in another part of the forum.  As a Republican, I can say a lot to that post, but will hold out for another thread on politics if someone creates it  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

As an independent, I have quite a bit to say about both, but will keep it to myself.

lowposter

vu72

Do twelve hail mary's and memorize Luther's explanation of the third article of the Apostles Creed and all is forgiven  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

I was only using it to draw a comparison, was not intended as passing out political opinion.

ValpoHoops

It really doesn't matter who did it in this case. The simple fact is that Scott Drew is the head men's basketball coach at Baylor, and anything that happens under his watch is ultimately on him. If this happened, and there is ANY proof that he knew or participated, then this is an extremely serious situation.

Calling a player and trying to get them to transfer is very uncommon. Calling "people" associated with the player and trying to get them to do the work is all too common, however. If this allegation (and that's all it is at this point) were to be true, it is a blatant violation of NCAA rules, and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that it was an intentional violation.

There are a lot of coaches in the Big XII (and elsewhere) who aren't particularly fond of Scott's recruiting tactics as it is...this is only going to stir the pot more. Just as one example, some may remember the Hanner Perea issue (I think it might be earlier in this thread).

If true, the guilty party(ies) should be punished and punished significantly. Yes, I'm talking about jobs lost. Blatant breaking of rules cannot be tolerated.

On a side note, the other school that was directly mentioned, Tennessee, was still under the Sleazeball Bruce regime. That doesn't surpise me a bit that they would be involved.

valporun

If Morefield was the culprit of the calls and texts to get the player to transfer, then it is tampering, and would be a fireable offense. Of course, now that he's not coaching at Baylor, that's moot, but it could still bring sanctions to the Baylor program that could get Scott fired because he did allow it to be happen. I'll let the investigation play out, but it's becoming an all too common practice in D-I basketball.

milanmiracle

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 19, 2012, 08:34:04 PM
It really doesn't matter who did it in this case. The simple fact is that Scott Drew is the head men's basketball coach at Baylor, and anything that happens under his watch is ultimately on him. If this happened, and there is ANY proof that he knew or participated, then this is an extremely serious situation.

Calling a player and trying to get them to transfer is very uncommon. Calling "people" associated with the player and trying to get them to do the work is all too common, however. If this allegation (and that's all it is at this point) were to be true, it is a blatant violation of NCAA rules, and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that it was an intentional violation.

There are a lot of coaches in the Big XII (and elsewhere) who aren't particularly fond of Scott's recruiting tactics as it is...this is only going to stir the pot more. Just as one example, some may remember the Hanner Perea issue (I think it might be earlier in this thread).

If true, the guilty party(ies) should be punished and punished significantly. Yes, I'm talking about jobs lost. Blatant breaking of rules cannot be tolerated.

On a side note, the other school that was directly mentioned, Tennessee, was still under the Sleazeball Bruce regime. That doesn't surpise me a bit that they would be involved.

I do wonder if there's something going on at Baylor. Questionable recruiting practices, the Perea issue, the association earlier with the Harricks (both of whom had a show cause slapped on them)...it does make me think...maybe it's nothing, but I am not looking at Baylor with blinders on either.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado