• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Video Boards

Started by valpomarketingguy, July 19, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpomarketingguy

Video Boards to Be Installed In Athletics-Recreation Center

The Athletics-Recreation Center will be getting an upgrade this summer, as a YESCO four-sided ceiling hung display sign, featuring video boards on all four sides, will be installed above center court in the arena, home of Valparaiso's men's and women's basketball and volleyball teams.

"We are excited about the opportunity to enhance our fans' experience at basketball and volleyball games by adding video boards in the ARC," said Valparaiso director of athletics Mark LaBarbera.  "It also marks another step forward in our commitment to continued improvements to all of our athletic facilities."

The fixture will feature four 10MM full color video boards, with each board's active area measuring 13' wide by 7'7" tall (fans can right-click on the image to the right and select 'View Image' to see the board's full dimensions).  In addition, the corners will contain four back-lit display panels for advertising, while there will also be an additional illuminated sign panel on the underside of the display with McDonald's messaging.  Also as part of the project, modifications will be made to improve the sound system in the arena.

About YESCO: YESCO is a family-owned provider of a full spectrum of sign and lighting products and services. YESCO Electronics manufacturers versatile, color LED signs and is a leading supplier of digital billboards in North America. YESCO Outdoor Media has approximately 1,700 billboards strategically located on major thoroughfares across 10 western states. The company has been in business since 1920.  For more information visit www.yesco.com.

KL31NY

Pretty big news. Plus, I'm sure everyone's going to like the fact that the sound system will be worked on. Looking forward to seeing it all in action this September at the Volley Brawl!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

Just saw this on the website as well, pretty sweet!  I think that this is well worth a major announcement, as that just brings our athletics program closer to the others out there in amenities.  Is this a video board where it displays where people's points/foul totals are as well?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: valpotx on July 19, 2011, 04:42:10 PM
Just saw this on the website as well, pretty sweet!  I think that this is well worth a major announcement, as that just brings our athletics program closer to the others out there in amenities.  Is this a video board where it displays where people's points/foul totals are as well?

Point/Foul totals will be displayed in some capacity on the board.  We will have to figure out exactly how and when certain information will be displayed.

valpopal

I had heard this was coming, and I am pleased by the details included. I'm also glad to learn the problems with the sound system will finally be addressed. Kudos!

wh

As someone who has *itched and moaned for years about our awful sound system, I'm almost as excited about it as I am the new video screens - almost! In all seriousness, these are really good upgrades.  Congratulations to the Athletic Department.   

DMvalpo18

this is great! finally some news specifically about the arc. thank you athletic department!

cornonthe

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vuweathernerd

i'm so excited!! just wish i was going to be able to take advantage of it. maybe now i have an excuse to get back for a game or two.

vufan75

8) Great news. I'm excited for this improvement to the ARC!! Can't wait to see the new video board in person this coming season.   :clap:

:deadhorse:
I hope the next ARC enhancement sometime within the next couple years is more chairback seating to provide a lower level "arena" feel. Also, more rest rooms and more and better concession areas would be a nice improvement. But this certainly is a great start to revitalizing the ARC. 

setshot

:) A"big" MacDonald's logo. Is this another Schrage enhancement to the ARC? Dear ole Theta Chi!

FWalum

This is a great new addition to the ARC. This will also spur some improvements on the video broadcast side I am guessing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

rlh

I think this was the "big" announcement that was said to be coming, and I think it really is a big announcement.  Welcome to the 21st Century VU....this will certainly enhance the ARC experience.

okinawatyphoon

It shouldn't be a big announcement since it is almost an embarrassment to not have them in the first place, but I am ecstatic that we are finally getting video boards. Anyone have a pricetag on this? Was there a major donor?

sectionee

I believe they were purchased with money leftover from the floor.

valpospartan

Quote from: wh on July 19, 2011, 05:05:27 PM
As someone who has *itched and moaned for years about our awful sound system, I'm almost as excited about it as I am the new video screens - almost! In all seriousness, these are really good upgrades.  Congratulations to the Athletic Department.   

Yeah, what he said!

Crusader03

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 20, 2011, 09:08:57 PM
It shouldn't be a big announcement since it is almost an embarrassment to not have them in the first place, but I am ecstatic that we are finally getting video boards. Anyone have a pricetag on this? Was there a major donor?

I'm thinking the major donor was Mr. McDonald.

milanmiracle

I have to say I am very please with this. I think it will be a great and long overdue addition to the ARC. Thanks to whoever spearheaded this project!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

DMvalpo18

i don't see it as being a huge embarrassment to us not having them already, since our venue for playing basketball isn't too huge. however, when compared against the other horizon league facilities that we go and play in on the road, yeah, then i would agree. we are still really behind. i'm excited for this though! i'm not bothered by the fact that we don't have a state of the art 10k plus seat arena.

valpopal

Removal of the old scoreboard (click on the photo for a larger image):

vu72

Thanks for this and other pics you have posted!  :thumbsup:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Great update! Thanks valpopal!

vu72

If you blow it up a little you can see the score:  Valpo 85 Visitors 79.  Interesting, I think it foretells things to come...Hummm   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

Looks like the new video boards just arrived and per ML's comment on twitter earlier today they should be installed this week.  

@ValpoADMark LaBarbera

"Just watched the new video boards arrive. Installation will be done by end of week."