• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Video Boards

Started by valpomarketingguy, July 19, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

From my standpoint I think the video intro is amazing and a perfect length. I come from a background of going to Marquette basketball games where they have nearly a three-minute intro before games. Loyola does the same. I think maybe some people soured last night because the video board's power was inexplicably shut off and it took some time to get going. Once the kinks are worked out (exhibition games are for everyone), the intro will be seamless and will fit perfectly.

As for the stats not updating immediately, you have to understand that there is a bit of lag time from the time the play happens to the time to stat view gets refreshed and sends data to scoreboard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is how it works.

Looks amazing, but my favorite part is new shot clocks and right lights around backboard for buzzer-beaters. Already were useful last night.

letsgovu

i think the names of these should be changed to ad boards.  Seriously.  Do there need to be so many ads?  Do they need to replace the score/stats during play?  Seems like a huge increase in intrusive advertising from last year.

valporun

Quote from: letsgovu on November 04, 2011, 04:35:00 PM
i think the names of these should be changed to ad boards.  Seriously.  Do there need to be so many ads?  Do they need to replace the score/stats during play?  Seems like a huge increase in intrusive advertising from last year.

I'm sure the advertising dollars are helping offset the cost of the video board, might even provide some extra travel dollars for the basketball and volleyball teams to use, if needed. Right now, the people working the board might still be testing the capabilities and how to load up some replay video, and things, so I don't mind a lack of video replay in exhibition season.

wh

I can be as critical as anyone if I see something that seems unacceptable or 2nd rate (see my 947 sound system posts), but I will repeat what I said after the first game - I absolutely LOVE the new video boards.  In fact, I was more impressed last night than after game 1.  With no snafu's in getting the opening started, I thought it was great.  I like the theme - the connection to tradition, great moments from the past, the playground and workout scenes showing preparation, dedication to purpose, etc.  I also like the stats being displayed at different times.  Fairly early in the first half, I remember thinking that we must already have a boatload of TO's.  Next thing I know there it was for the world to see - 8 TO's in the first 7+ minutes.  I think it really adds value to the game experience.

agibson

Quote from: letsgovu on November 04, 2011, 04:35:00 PM
Seriously.  Do there need to be so many ads?

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about this either.  It's a natural enough progression, I suppose.  NCAA athletic events are pretty ad-full places.  But, there is something particularly offensive about it moving, and popping up right where you're looking, etc.

letsgovu

I should note that I'm not a season ticket holder, and I think I read that the system is designed so that those lucky folks in the chairbacks don't see as many ads?  I could be wrong.

Also volume of announcer was way up last night possibly to compensate for lack of sound in chairbacks? Not sure.

I agree that the scoreboard operation was improved last night as I'm sure will continue happening.  Overall it is a much improved experience.  I agree that ads are here to stay and appreciate the funds they bring in (have succumbed to the darn square donuts a time or two on the way home from a game) but I don't think they should detract from the experience.

humbleopinion

The square donuts shouldn't tempt you this year -- I've seen no evidence of Family Express advertising this year!
Beamin' Beacons

agibson

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 04, 2011, 09:34:02 PM
The square donuts shouldn't tempt you this year -- I've seen no evidence of Family Express advertising this year!

Shocking!  Is Homer no longer doing ads for them?

agibson

I could hear the PA loud and clear, even from section AA.

Score board operation was... a little slow.  But, they did get some replays up rather quickly.  The video quality for the replays wasn't fantastic (especially compared to the rather nice video clips of the players introducing the clips), but they were fun to see.

Ryan Broekhoff.... flush!

letsgovu

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 07:15:39 PMThe video quality for the replays wasn't fantastic (especially compared to the rather nice video clips of the players introducing the clips)

I agree.  It would be nice if there was some sound for the replays.  Even just music would be better than silence. 

valpospartan

Question for valpomarketingguy:  Is is possible to update the player info, on the video boards, a little faster?  A new player comes in and it takes a couple of plays before his name appears.  Same thing when a player scores, rebounds or fouls.  More realtime updates would be more credible.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: letsgovu on November 04, 2011, 06:31:28 PM
I should note that I'm not a season ticket holder, and I think I read that the system is designed so that those lucky folks in the chairbacks don't see as many ads?  I could be wrong.

Also volume of announcer was way up last night possibly to compensate for lack of sound in chairbacks? Not sure.

I agree that the scoreboard operation was improved last night as I'm sure will continue happening.  Overall it is a much improved experience.  I agree that ads are here to stay and appreciate the funds they bring in (have succumbed to the darn square donuts a time or two on the way home from a game) but I don't think they should detract from the experience.

overall no. but i have to say, it annoys me when the announcer yells "centier bank three!"

letsgovu

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 20, 2011, 11:32:35 PMoverall no. but i have to say, it annoys me when the announcer yells "centier bank three!"

ha!  This was on my nerves the first game.  After that I guess I kinda grew numb to it...or there just weren't that many 3 pointers, and I think that one game that there was a fill in announcer guy it wasn't said.

I can imagine that at Sundays game, it was quite frequent.  Sadly I had to watch that one at home.

vu72

All that "centier bank three" stuff means money in the pocket of the athletics department.  I am very impressed with the marketing effort overall, particularly with ticket sales efforts.  Not being able to be at the ARC, I presume we have a lot more signage from sponsors etc.

Most of this comes with an improved team and more people at games and more listeners on the radio.  As things continue to improve I would expect perhaps an added radio station or two and overall improved attendance.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2011, 08:57:16 AM
All that "centier bank three" stuff means money in the pocket of the athletics department.

Lest anyone forgets, the Athletic Dept. will have another $52,000 annual bill to pay, thanks to the newly mandated $2000 annual player "stipend" for men's and women's basketball players.  Another day, another entitlement - where is it going to end?

valpo64

We were at both the Akron and Duquesne games which was our first experience with the new scoreboard and all of the smaller boards...fantastic addition to the ARC...yes as we sit in the chairbacks we see the ads also...my only negaqtive comment is what was mentioned here earlier namely the delay of the info being posted on the big board...it's  something that I think should be corrected as another bucket or whatever can happen before the original score/update/etc is displayed...very confusing...if I remember correctly the "end" boards are posted before the big board updates for example on posting the fouls for the player. Overall the new board is terrific!!   Congrats to  the A.D. and Marketing gang!   Now lets get more concession stands and restrooms.

valpotx

Well, it's not necessarily the case with mid-majors, but just think of how much money larger schools make off of athletes.  Yes, we get paid a certain cost of attendance, but the money involved at some of these schools is just ridiculous.  This is also the case with basketball and football coach salaries.  They can be making millions of dollars to manage/recruit these kids, and dismiss the athlete for a bad season if they wanted.

Considering the video game argument alone that former athletes have made, they have not given permission for their schools to market their appearance in such a manner.  This is at least what I remember from any paperwork I signed, is that we did not give our consent to such things.

On topic, the more advertisements the better!  With more money comes more amenities, so I can stand any annoying announcements to get these sort of things. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: valpospartan on November 20, 2011, 10:51:41 PM
Question for valpomarketingguy:  Is is possible to update the player info, on the video boards, a little faster?  A new player comes in and it takes a couple of plays before his name appears.  Same thing when a player scores, rebounds or fouls.  More realtime updates would be more credible.

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that this is the only option we have right now.  I know it is a bit frustrating to have to wait for it to update, but it is far better than what we had 12 months ago!  I will continue to try and improve the fan experience using the board, so please continue to send suggestions and comments my way.

sectionee

Is the video before introductions going to be shown every game?  My dad has been to two games (Akron and Duquesne) and made a comment that he'd wouldn't mind seeing it go away or cut down.  I like it ok, really think it will be great when the house is really packed, but wouldn't mind seeing it shortened a bit as well.

I'm just being picky, love the upgrades  :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: sectionee on November 21, 2011, 03:46:03 PM
Is the video before introductions going to be shown every game?  My dad has been to two games (Akron and Duquesne) and made a comment that he'd wouldn't mind seeing it go away or cut down.  I like it ok, really think it will be great when the house is really packed, but wouldn't mind seeing it shortened a bit as well.

I'm just being picky, love the upgrades  :thumbsup:

Did the stampeding Bulls start taking a shortcut on their simulated trip to the United Center after people had seen it a thousand times?  Of course not.  It does seem a little lengthy when there is a sparse crowd like yesterday, but I think it's great with a larger crowd and better atmosphere.  In any event, we certainly don't want to change it before condescending, bandwagon Butler fans get an opportunity to criticize it on Feb. 24th - that is if there are any left by then.   ;)   

sectionee

vuweathernerd

is there any chance of getting a digital display on the front of the scorer's table, like so many other schools have? i was watching the 24 hour basketball marathon on espn last week, and i think it was college of charleston that had one, and that honestly kind of surprised me. i know they're a program on the up and up, but to this point that's almost always been a perk not really seen outside of the bcs conference programs.

valpofan56

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 21, 2011, 07:00:28 PM
is there any chance of getting a digital display on the front of the scorer's table, like so many other schools have? i was watching the 24 hour basketball marathon on espn last week, and i think it was college of charleston that had one, and that honestly kind of surprised me. i know they're a program on the up and up, but to this point that's almost always been a perk not really seen outside of the bcs conference programs.

I'm pretty sure CofC just built a brand new arena, which is probably why they have such fancy signs.

historyman

Quote from: wh on November 21, 2011, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2011, 08:57:16 AM
All that "centier bank three" stuff means money in the pocket of the athletics department.

Lest anyone forgets, the Athletic Dept. will have another $52,000 annual bill to pay, thanks to the newly mandated $2000 annual player "stipend" for men's and women's basketball players.  Another day, another entitlement - where is it going to end?

Honestly, $52,000 is not that much when you think of some of the other expenses the mens basketball team incures. Think what a flight to Tucson costs for a whole team of players, coaches and traveling party. Bus trips to Milwaukee, Green Bay, Youngstown, Dayton, Cleveland (in a snow storm), Detroit and Indianapolis are not real cheap for a whole team.

cmack

I have to say again.  I am still just not into the guys playing basketball outside during the pregame video.  I do like the idea of the video and all that.  And I have read the words to see if I got the connection, but honestly I still don't get it.  If you want to talk about tradition and building a program, how bout some true classic clips.....Redmon, Gipson, Barton, Viskovic, Grafs.  The practice jerseys just don't really show the experience I have had over the last 15 years of closely following the program.

That being said I am still a fan of the video and I am even fine with the length of it.