• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brandon Wood to play on an aircraft carrier?

Started by valpotx, July 22, 2011, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoopfan22

Quote from: 78crusader on November 30, 2011, 10:19:27 PM
I am in a minority of one on this issue, that much is clear.

I felt earlier this year this guy was disloyal to VU in leaving.  I still feel that way, and I don't care how many times he plays on an aircraft carrier, or shakes the president's hand, or gets to play on ESPN.  As noted on Nov. 13 on this board by pgmado, when asked what graduate program he was going to pursue at MSU -- which of course is the reason he could leave the Crusaders in the first place -- he said he did not know.  This despite the fact we were all assured that he was leaving VU to pursue a graduate degree.  So what if VU gets mentioned on TV -- it's always in the context of a very good player leaving the program.  Am I the only one in the world who thinks that puts VU in a bad light?  And I don't care how many nice things he says about Valpo -- actions speak louder than words. 

Loyalty matters.

I think we should talk about our current players, not one who was disloyal to VU and no longer plays here.  Let me paraphrase what Norman Dale said in Hoosiers: You should cheer for the guys who went out for the team, not for the guys who didn't. 

Paul

Agreed.

Crusader03

Quote from: hoopfan22 on December 01, 2011, 09:41:51 AM

I felt earlier this year this guy was disloyal to VU in leaving.  I still feel that way, and I don't care how many times he plays on an aircraft carrier, or shakes the president's hand, or gets to play on ESPN.  As noted on Nov. 13 on this board by pgmado, when asked what graduate program he was going to pursue at MSU -- which of course is the reason he could leave the Crusaders in the first place -- he said he did not know.  This despite the fact we were all assured that he was leaving VU to pursue a graduate degree.  So what if VU gets mentioned on TV -- it's always in the context of a very good player leaving the program.  Am I the only one in the world who thinks that puts VU in a bad light?  And I don't care how many nice things he says about Valpo -- actions speak louder than words. 

Loyalty matters.

I think we should talk about our current players, not one who was disloyal to VU and no longer plays here.  Let me paraphrase what Norman Dale said in Hoosiers: You should cheer for the guys who went out for the team, not for the guys who didn't. 

Paul

Agreed.

Agreed x 2.

We hear players talk all the time about their team as a family or brothers...he had an opportunity to stay with VU and stick with his alma mater and his family, but he chose to go somewhere "better."  It remains to be seen if this will play off for him in the longrun.  I do wish him the best, but he left Valpo.  We need to move on and talk Valpo hoops.

hoopfan22

agibson

No reason to delete it. As we discussed earlier, it could well be moved to "Sports Talk".  Or we could argue that it belongs here, just the same as if we started a Shawn Huff or, heck, a Sam Haanpaa or Bryan Bouchie thread.

hoopfan22

Shawn Huff ended his career here. He used all his college eligibility here. It's not just the same. Those other two names I may as well be German to me.

valpofan56

No one made any of you open this thread and read it. There are plenty of people on here that would like this thread right where it is, if you're not one of those people don't read it.

valpotx

Quote from: valpofan56 on December 01, 2011, 03:18:44 PM
No one made any of you open this thread and read it. There are plenty of people on here that would like this thread right where it is, if you're not one of those people don't read it.

Agreed :).  It surprises me how some people feel Brandon owes us anything past his graduation.  Athletes are brought to universities to get their degrees, and he received his.  If he feels that MSU presents a better opportunity to his preferred destination of the NBA, so be it.  It's kind of funny, here you have a conservative Texan supporting the rights of an individual over the 'company,' whereas I imagine there may be a few Liberals here who are supporting the 'company' over the individual. :lol:
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

1.  The off topic part that tweaked 04 was about my rant about abbreviations, not whether or not we should talk about Brandon Wood (right?).  I think his judgment is absolutely correct on that one.
2.  I'm a liberal, and I support the rights of an individual (Brandon Wood) over the 'company' (VU) ;)

IndyValpo

Loyalty matters.

Paul

What is your take on Bogan?  I assume you hope he fails here or is this a one way street.  I don't remember but I assume you were against Boggs and Capabianco coming as they were disloyal as well.  I also don't remember your indignation when Brandon transferred here.  He was disloyal to SIU after all.

lowposter

What he did was within the rules.  No one, other than a few on this board are complaining.  How loyal are college programs to their athletes, their communities, their students, etc? 

lowposter

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 01, 2011, 11:07:19 PM

Loyalty matters.

Paul

What is your take on Bogan?  I assume you hope he fails here or is this a one way street.  I don't remember but I assume you were against Boggs and Capabianco coming as they were disloyal as well.  I also don't remember your indignation when Brandon transferred here.  He was disloyal to SIU after all.

That's ridiculous.  Bogan, Boggs and Capabianco play for VU.  Wood left.  I'm not necessarily saying Wood is disloyal, but he is no longer in the same category as those other three guys. 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 02, 2011, 08:15:42 AM

Loyalty matters.

Paul

That's ridiculous.  Bogan, Boggs and Capabianco play for VU.  Wood left.  I'm not necessarily saying Wood is disloyal, but he is no longer in the same category as those other three guys. 

now you guys are starting to compare apples and oranges. the only one in the same situation as bwood is will bogan, who left ole miss after completing his undergraduate studies, had eligibility left, and opted to use his last year while working towards an advanced degree. boggs and capobianco transferred in as undergrads. they have their reasons for having left their respective schools, but should not be brought up in this debate.

the fact is, brandon gave us two incredible years. he graduated, wanted to use his last year of eligibility, and chose a highly visible program. per the spartan media guide online, he's going after a master's degree in advertising, which i'm pretty sure vu doesn't offer. whether that's still the case or not, i have no idea. but in any case, enjoy the time that he gave us and be grateful that we got him in the first place. he made the team a lot better, which has been used to generate further improvements.

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on December 02, 2011, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 02, 2011, 08:15:42 AM

Loyalty matters.

Paul

now you guys are starting to compare apples and oranges. the only one in the same situation as bwood is will bogan, who left ole miss after completing his undergraduate studies, had eligibility left, and opted to use his last year while working towards an advanced degree. boggs and capobianco transferred in as undergrads. they have their reasons for having left their respective schools, but should not be brought up in this debate.

the fact is, brandon gave us two incredible years. he graduated, wanted to use his last year of eligibility, and chose a highly visible program. per the spartan media guide online, he's going after a master's degree in advertising, which i'm pretty sure vu doesn't offer. whether that's still the case or not, i have no idea. but in any case, enjoy the time that he gave us and be grateful that we got him in the first place. he made the team a lot better, which has been used to generate further improvements.
In the past, 78crusader has also mentioned his dislike of VU accepting transfers, both JUCO and from other 4-year institutions.  So, the Boggs, and Capabianco transfers would be compared to Wood transferring away from SIU, and to VU from a JUCO.  If Wood is disloyal (not my opinion), then everyone else that transferred into VU from 4-year schools would be disloyal to their original school.  It is a slippery slope, but the comparison is just.

Where would VU basketball be without transfers - Redmon, Schmidt, Wood, Johnson, just to name a few - have all been assets to VU basketball.  Wood was an asset, both on the court and in the classroom.  Homer helped Wood in the process.  Is Homer then also disloyal?  Not in my opinion. 

I wish Wood the best.  I also wish he were still in a VU uniform. 

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on December 01, 2011, 05:14:54 PM

Agreed :).  It surprises me how some people feel Brandon owes us anything past his graduation.  Athletes are brought to universities to get their degrees, and he received his.  If he feels that MSU presents a better opportunity to his preferred destination of the NBA, so be it.  It's kind of funny, here you have a conservative Texan supporting the rights of an individual over the 'company,' whereas I imagine there may be a few Liberals here who are supporting the 'company' over the individual. :lol:
I agree that this should be all about the student.  Have we forgotten that these are suppose to be STUDENT athletes?  My proudest moments as a coach were when a young man with marginal academics dedicated himself to the classroom so that he could play ball... and succeeded.  There is nothing better than watching a mother cry her eyes out as she sees her son become the first person in the family to graduate from college.  As Dan Dakich said the other night, this is about the only NCAA rule that actually benefits the academically motivated athlete.  While I am not sure all the evidence is in when it comes to what level of programs this rule hurts or helps, I am for any rule that would be a motivation for academic achievement.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on December 02, 2011, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: valpotx on December 01, 2011, 05:14:54 PM

I agree that this should be all about the student.  Have we forgotten that these are suppose to be STUDENT athletes?  My proudest moments as a coach were when a young man with marginal academics dedicated himself to the classroom so that he could play ball... and succeeded.  There is nothing better than watching a mother cry her eyes out as she sees her son become the first person in the family to graduate from college.  As Dan Dakich said the other night, this is about the only NCAA rule that actually benefits the academically motivated athlete.  While I am not sure all the evidence is in when it comes to what level of programs this rule hurts or helps, I am for any rule that would be a motivation for academic achievement.

Until this very moment I have never stopped to consider his point.  I'm still not completely sold on it being a good rule, but it is interesting food for thought.

rlh

Isn't it time for this thread to end.....most of us wish Brandon all the best, but lets concentrate on what we do have, not what we don't.....

Crusader03

Quote from: rlh on December 02, 2011, 06:28:53 PM
Isn't it time for this thread to end.....most of us wish Brandon all the best, but lets concentrate on what we do have, not what we don't.....

:thumbsup:

cmack

I agree that this post should end.  Brandon is gone. He had a couple good years here. (I think incredible is a bit much.)  I don't keep up on him now just as I never looked up Oumar Sylla, Paul Guede, Kareem Jr., or any of the rest after they left.  Let the Spartan fans cheer him on. I have my own team to root for. 

To any player who choose to transfers in, welcome to the team and let's go to battle.  To all those who choose to leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

bbtds

Yeahhhhhhhh! Let it end! Stop posting to this thread now!!!!

Is this a good time to bring up Logan Jones?

Oooops!

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpospartan

Quote from: crusaderdad on February 10, 2012, 05:15:25 PM
Now this would be an interesting match-up.  ;D
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Personally I don't like it when MSU & VU play one another.  It happened a few years ago, and it wasn't fun for me.

valporun

Quote from: crusaderdad on February 10, 2012, 05:15:25 PM
Now this would be an interesting match-up.  ;D
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

This would be an almost odd case of deja vu. It was only in the 2000 NCAA tournament that we went to Cleveland to play the Spartans at the Wolstein/Convocation Center.

valpotx

While getting our butt kicked 65-38 or so that year
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on February 10, 2012, 10:00:04 PM
While getting our butt kicked 65-38 or so that year

Yes, and at that, we were the only team to hold Michigan St. under 70 points on their way to the National Championship.