• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 12, 2018, 06:34:02 AM
Tried to learn more but only saw the Illinois Wolves est 1999.  Fill the rest of us in, how do the IL Wolves compare to other IL AAU teams?

What's the pecking order?

The Illinois Wolves are one of the better AAU programs in Illinois. They attract a lot of more rural/suburban kids and they are less high profile than Meanstreets and MacIrvin Fire, which attract more urban kids. MeanStreets & MIF consistently send kids to Power Conference schools. For the elite kids things can get political in recruitment of kids (ex: Talen Horton-Tucker & Ayo Dosunmu recruitment) and also shoe companies play a HUGE role in where elite kids play their college ball (ex: Romeo Langford to IU. If Vandy was an Adidas school they might have landed him).

The Top AAU programs in the state are: Meanstreets (JFL played for them), MacIrvin Fire, Illinois Wolves, All-In, Young & Reckless (we've recruited them pretty consistently and I know the coaches like one kid in particular from their 2020 class), Illinois Irish (AP played for them), Team Rose, etc.

It's important to have coaches that are respected and who can navigate the CPL circuit and Chicago AAU scene to successfully recruit Chicago. Coach Powell was very important to our programs success during Bryce's era and Coach Dildy was big for us last year. I'm not sure we'd land JFL without Coach Dildy. Hopefully with Coach Lottich, Coach Holloway and Coach Townsend we'll still be able to tap into the strong talent in Chicago.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 12, 2018, 11:01:34 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 12, 2018, 06:34:02 AM
Tried to learn more but only saw the Illinois Wolves est 1999.  Fill the rest of us in, how do the IL Wolves compare to other IL AAU teams?

What's the pecking order?

The Illinois Wolves are one of the better AAU programs in Illinois. They attract a lot of more rural/suburban kids and they are less high profile than Meanstreets and MacIrvin Fire, which attract more urban kids. MeanStreets & MIF consistently send kids to Power Conference schools. For the elite kids things can get political in recruitment of kids (ex: Talen Horton-Tucker & Ayo Dosunmu recruitment) and also shoe companies play a HUGE role in where elite kids play their college ball (ex: Romeo Langford to IU. If Vandy was an Adidas school they might have landed him).

The Top AAU programs in the state are: Meanstreets (JFL played for them), MacIrvin Fire, Illinois Wolves, All-In, Young & Reckless (we've recruited them pretty consistently and I know the coaches like one kid in particular from their 2020 class), Illinois Irish (AP played for them), Team Rose, etc.

It's important to have coaches that are respected and who can navigate the CPL circuit and Chicago AAU scene to successfully recruit Chicago. Coach Powell was very important to our programs success during Bryce's era and Coach Dildy was big for us last year. I'm not sure we'd land JFL without Coach Dildy. Hopefully with Coach Lottich, Coach Holloway and Coach Townsend we'll still be able to tap into the strong talent in Chicago.

Thanks for clarifying the big picture of ILL recruiting/AAU. 

ValpoDad89

FG05, the 3 Elite AAU / EYBL teams around Chicago are obviously Illinois Wolves, Meanstreets and Mac Irvin Fire. Meanstreets and The Fire focus on the CPL as well as top regional and downstate talent. The Wolves focus, it seems, is the Catholic schools, suburban and downstate kids. There are always exceptions but roster makeup is somewhat consistent to this approach.

I'd say as of recent it is Mac Irvin Fire getting some of the more elite recruits going forward. Started by the patriarch of the Irvin clan, Mac, they've been around since the late '90's. They are tied in tight with Morgan Park (obviously as Lance was most recent HC there), Simeon and more of the Southside CPL teams. While they always got top local and regional talent, it seems their scope is going nationally a bit more. They just had Khalil Whitney out of NJ sign with Kentucky. Saw his ranking skyrocket over the summer. He's a top 20 kid. Jabari Parker (Simeon), Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young),Hardaway Jr. (HS in FL)

Meanstreets was the home for Javon Freeman Liberty and Xavier Castanedas (Whitney Young) to name a few. They have and some serious players come through like Derrick Rose (Simeon) and Anthony Davis (Perspectives Chicago). Webster Slaughter HC of Whitney Young has close ties to the program. I believe Tai Streets who played for the 49'ers and Michigan was an all-State basketball and football player at Thornton HS started the program in the early 2000's while still playing in the NFL.

Dan Mullins ran some successful summer camps before AAU took of and started his program in 1999like you said. His focus was primarily on suburban and Catholic kids and gets some quality downstate Is kids as well. As we've seen he has Tom Welch (Naperville North),Marquise Kennedy (Brother Rice) and Frank Jakubisec (Cary Grove) as current members. Some notable alumni I can recall are Bobby Fraser (Brother Rice), Frank kaminsky (Benet Academy), Evan Turner (St. Joe's Westchester) and Keita Bates Diop (University HS Normal, IL).

As far as local schools of interest / P6 schools. Obviously Loyola has a direct line to the Wolves. I think Mullins has a decent relationship with both Illinois and NU as well. I know JORDAN Ash and Barret Benson played under Mullins and are at NU. NU has had some success with Meanstreets getting Vic Law and I think Scottie Lindsey from them in recent years. Illinois is hit or miss with Meanstreets and the Fire. It all depends on who is hired as HC and even asssitants. Moreso with the Fire but if they don't like an Illinois hire within the coaching staff they will try and blacklist them with their kids. It works on some I must say. Seems Underwood may be making some inroads with both. DePaul has a BAD relationship with all but most with the Fire and the Wolves. Meanstreets kids will at least glance at them. The rest of the smaller local school staff get fair shakes at the remaining kids that don't garner major or high interest.

IrishDawg

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on August 12, 2018, 11:40:34 AM
FG05, the 3 Elite AAU / EYBL teams around Chicago are obviously Illinois Wolves, Meanstreets and Mac Irvin Fire. Meanstreets and The Fire focus on the CPL as well as top regional and downstate talent. The Wolves focus, it seems, is the Catholic schools, suburban and downstate kids. There are always exceptions but roster makeup is somewhat consistent to this approach.

I'd say as of recent it is Mac Irvin Fire getting some of the more elite recruits going forward. Started by the patriarch of the Irvin clan, Mac, they've been around since the late '90's. They are tied in tight with Morgan Park (obviously as Lance was most recent HC there), Simeon and more of the Southside CPL teams. While they always got top local and regional talent, it seems their scope is going nationally a bit more. They just had Khalil Whitney out of NJ sign with Kentucky. Saw his ranking skyrocket over the summer. He's a top 20 kid. Jabari Parker (Simeon), Jahlil Okafor (Whitney Young),Hardaway Jr. (HS in FL)

Meanstreets was the home for Javon Freeman Liberty and Xavier Castanedas (Whitney Young) to name a few. They have and some serious players come through like Derrick Rose (Simeon) and Anthony Davis (Perspectives Chicago). Webster Slaughter HC of Whitney Young has close ties to the program. I believe Tai Streets who played for the 49'ers and Michigan was an all-State basketball and football player at Thornton HS started the program in the early 2000's while still playing in the NFL.

Dan Mullins ran some successful summer camps before AAU took of and started his program in 1999like you said. His focus was primarily on suburban and Catholic kids and gets some quality downstate Is kids as well. As we've seen he has Tom Welch (Naperville North),Marquise Kennedy (Brother Rice) and Frank Jakubisec (Cary Grove) as current members. Some notable alumni I can recall are Bobby Fraser (Brother Rice), Frank kaminsky (Benet Academy), Evan Turner (St. Joe's Westchester) and Keita Bates Diop (University HS Normal, IL).

As far as local schools of interest / P6 schools. Obviously Loyola has a direct line to the Wolves. I think Mullins has a decent relationship with both Illinois and NU as well. I know JORDAN Ash and Barret Benson played under Mullins and are at NU. NU has had some success with Meanstreets getting Vic Law and I think Scottie Lindsey from them in recent years. Illinois is hit or miss with Meanstreets and the Fire. It all depends on who is hired as HC and even asssitants. Moreso with the Fire but if they don't like an Illinois hire within the coaching staff they will try and blacklist them with their kids. It works on some I must say. Seems Underwood may be making some inroads with both. DePaul has a BAD relationship with all but most with the Fire and the Wolves. Meanstreets kids will at least glance at them. The rest of the smaller local school staff get fair shakes at the remaining kids that don't garner major or high interest.

Oddly enough, DePaul got a commitment today from 2019 Mac Irvin Fire Top 100 Terrance Shannon.

VUGrad1314

Per a Drake fan on MVCFans Drake has secured a 2019 commitment from Issa Samake a 6-7 forward from Mali who went to high school in Des Moines. He has a 7-5 wingspan and is developing good touch from 3 point range. Looks like a solid get for the Bulldogs. He was rumored to have an offer from Iowa State and also had an offer from Tulsa.

VUGrad1314

A piece on Aher Uguak of Loyola who may well play a big role for the Ramblers starting this coming season.

https://www.portersjacket.com/single-post/2018/07/08/Aher-Uguak-The-Ramblers-Best-Kept-Secret

VUGrad1314

I am amazed at how down SIU fans seem to be on their team which should be very good and finish in the top 3. Even more amazing is how bullish they appear to be on Valpo. I don't think many of us have them rated as highly as many Saluki fans do. I guess in the current  hyper competitive MVC few fanbases want to step out on a limb and pronounce their team too highly for fear of being wrong.

https://saluki-insider.com/index.php/community/mbb-mbb/mvc-predictions/paged/2/#post-2855

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 11:30:23 PM
I am amazed at how down SIU fans seem to be on their team which should be very good and finish in the top 3. Even more amazing is how bullish they appear to be on Valpo. I don't think many of us have them rated as highly as many Saluki fans do. I guess in the current  hyper competitive MVC few fanbases want to step out on a limb and pronounce their team too highly for fear of being wrong.

https://saluki-insider.com/index.php/community/mbb-mbb/mvc-predictions/paged/2/#post-2855

Need to take a macro view point of where they are coming from. SIU just 10 years was seen as a mid-major powerhouse and they have went through some considerable rough times since their peak. A lot of SIU fans have been down on the program for a while. Something also to consider is that SIU's enrollment has taken a hit the last few years, which might have their overall morale down about the University.

SIU enrollment 1991: 24,869
SIU enrollment 2014: 17,989
SIU enrollment 2016: 15,987
SIU enrollment 2017: 14,636
SIU Spring 2018: 13,350
https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/siu-s-spring-enrollment-mirrors-fall-decline-student-population-drops/article_e1d5691f-c404-5a2b-bfc5-500d2e14e221.html
https://thesouthern.com/news/local/communities/carbondale/siu-enrollment-drop-leads-to-m-loss/article_9bf0ace9-fe20-5aeb-ab0f-15ef9de0d308.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/illinois/articles/2018-02-02/southern-illinois-university-sees-drop-in-spring-enrollment

I thought Hinson did a heck of a job last season with all the injury and they should be pretty good this season as well. I think the x-factor for them will be Bol's health.

VUGrad1314

Nice analysis. Bol is definitely the key to their season. Agreed on Hinson's good work last year as well.

VU2014

Wow. They actually landed Cunliffe. Huge get for UE. This could be a catalyst type player for them in this new era. He'll have to sit one but will have two years of eligibility remaining.

https://twitter.com/patmhickey/status/1029448344287019008

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 14, 2018, 03:11:46 PM
Wow. They actually landed Cunliffe. Huge get for UE. This could be a catalyst type player for them in this new era. He'll have to sit one but will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Getting a talented player from Seattle Washington to come to Evansville is a huge get.  If they keep this up (and McCarty shows himself a good in-game coach), Evansville is going to be scary good in a couple years.

VUGrad1314

Amazing. This is huge for McCarty and his staff and for Evansville's immediate and mid-term future. Never would have thought that they would land him over Lorenzo Romar at Pepperdine  and also Xavier. So, the Aces score a big recruiting  victory over the Musketeers. Now, let's see if they can do the same on the court this year.

VUGrad1314

Article on Indiana State: Their backcourt should be really good, the frontcourt is a question.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/sycamores-growing-toughness/

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 14, 2018, 03:11:46 PM

Seems like he's a classic example of an indecisive young 20-something...3-colleges (Arizona State, Kansas and UE).  That being said, I'm hoping he finds UE is a good landing spot.

Seems odd that he quickky transferred from ASU saying he was home sick and then lands at Kansas.  Is that not similar distance from home or maybe worse?

Possibly a snap decision to transfer and when he (potentially) finds out that there is no good option out west then he goes to Kansas?

Some may know better, but can a "potential" transfer use any form of communication within the rules to see if a potential school he likes is open to his transfer (before declaring a transfer)?  Or is this process so screwed up that this poor kid makes a judgment that ASU isn't to his liking and had to actual declare transferring before testing the waters?  Thereby getting sorta screwed over by being a mid-season transfer?

VUGrad1314

SIU's nonconference schedule is pretty good provided all of the opponents play as expected.

Home:
Winthrop
Murray State
SLU
Buffalo
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Howard

Road:
SEMO
SIUE
Colorado State
Buffalo

Neutral:
UMASS
Nevada\Tulsa

One more game TBD

https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/ ... 6e537.html

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 15, 2018, 02:08:28 AM
SIU's nonconference schedule is pretty good provided all of the opponents play as expected.

Home:
Winthrop
Murray State
SLU
Buffalo
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Howard

Road:
SEMO
SIUE
Colorado State
Buffalo

Neutral:
UMASS
Nevada\Tulsa

One more game TBD

https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/ ... 6e537.html

So this is their entire OOC schedule, meaning no non D-1 opponents (unless it's the TBD game)? 

underdawg

College basketballs Top 144 is now up to #84--St. Mary's who was 30-6 and went to NIT

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on August 15, 2018, 06:09:10 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 15, 2018, 02:08:28 AMSIU's nonconference schedule is pretty good provided all of the opponents play as expected. Home: Winthrop Murray State SLU Buffalo Arkansas-Pine Bluff Howard Road: SEMO SIUE Colorado State Buffalo Neutral: UMASS Nevada\Tulsa One more game TBD https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/ ... 6e537.html
So this is their entire OOC schedule, meaning no non D-1 opponents (unless it's the TBD game)?

Yes. There are 4 easy games but I see 4-5 potential Q1s as well if everyone plays to their potential.

VU2014

Indiana State has back to back in-state recruits in two days. Both are pretty good recruits. Barnes was getting high major interest last year but it tailed off. He sounds like a he a under radar prospect.

https://twitter.com/INPrep/status/1029763908746260482

VUGrad1314

Love it. Just makes for better games and a better league. Hopefully better results out of conference too. That will make all the in-conference cannibalization matter less.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 15, 2018, 11:36:56 AM
Indiana State has back to back in-state recruits in two days. Both are pretty good recruits. Barnes was getting high major interest last year but it tailed off. He sounds like a he a under radar prospect.

https://twitter.com/INPrep/status/1029763908746260482

I think Barnes could be a solid player for them, but I think to be under the radar, you have to have been off of the high major program's radar (like Hankins), which Barnes really wasn't, even though none of them offered him.  Especially in a state like Indiana that is so ridiculously over-recruited by every league, if you play AAU, it's really hard to go unnoticed.

Personally I think this is more of the same in terms of the level of recruits for Indiana State, but it's really hard for the coaching staff to have a ton of success given their tiny budget (IUPUI and IPFW aren't far behind them), but I would be more than happy to be wrong.

may know

ISUb has by far the lowest MBB budget in the MVC. It's actually more in-line with the OVC. They've increased their FB budget considerably in recent years which is bizarre. AD has things backwards over there.

VU2014

Quote from: may know on August 15, 2018, 03:39:00 PM
ISUb has by far the lowest MBB budget in the MVC. It's actually more in-line with the OVC. They've increased their FB budget considerably in recent years which is bizarre. AD has things backwards over there.

I remember reading that their AD didn't pick up Lansing's option last season, so they aren't fully committed to the HC going forward.

I think ISUb is considerably underrated. They may not be a Top 5 contender this season because some of their key players will be young but they have recruited some nice under the radar players the last two years. Cooper Neese is going to be a stud and their PG already is. They also beat out VU for Deavion Washington's commitment. He was initially recruited by Coach Ragland while he was at ISUb way back. He's going to be a offensive stud in the MVC.

Really weird that ISUb would invest more $ in football. The MVC is a obviously basketball conference.

VUGrad1314

Yeah why invest in a sport where a school like ISU has no hope whatsoever of finishing higher than sixth let alone beating out NDSU. They should pivot toward basketball before the new dominant powers of the MVC (whoever they are) emerge. That would be their best path forward for them by far. Besides, Lansing has shown that he is a decent coach that can get wins. I think he'd do very well if he were properly supported.