• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew...

Started by HutchJones, January 30, 2019, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Vandy has already hired a search firm.

valpopal

Vandy wants to keep Bryce in a different position on campus so his good class of recruits for next year don't go elsewhere and to save a buyout. However, I hear Bryce is already being considered to replace Avery Johnson at Alabama. Would be a good landing spot for him.

truth219

If there were any way to get Bryce back I would support it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2019, 09:39:21 AM
Vandy wants to keep Bryce in a different position on campus so his good class of recruits for next year don't go elsewhere and to save a buyout. However, I hear Bryce is already being considered to replace Avery Johnson at Alabama. Would be a good landing spot for him.
OMG what moron is spreading a Drew to Alabama rumor. Less than 0% of that one....

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2019, 09:39:21 AMVandy wants to keep Bryce in a different position on campus so his good class of recruits for next year don't go elsewhere and to save a buyout. However, I hear Bryce is already being considered to replace Avery Johnson at Alabama. Would be a good landing spot for him.

Fails miserably in SEC

Gets better SEC job

Makes perfect sense

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 22, 2019, 10:01:46 AM
OMG what moron is spreading a Drew to Alabama rumor. Less than 0% of that one....

[tweet]1109087885607817216[/tweet]

VU2014

I know it's not going to happen but Good Lord it would nice to have Bryce back... problem is you can't bring him back unless he's committed to Valpo for the long-term and I think he wouldn't be. I'm not sure he'd even want to come. Feels like his aspirations have always been set for higher profile jobs.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1109082950203858944?s=21

valpo64

This is getting ridiculous...

a3uge

C'mon guys, Bryce isn't coming back. If he did, and actually found success, he'd be gone in no time again.

It should be a closed door after the way he departed.

VUGrad1314

Who cares if he's committed? Give us a few years and jump again for all I care. Just give us some stability and a chance to get ourselves up and running in the MVC. If you can do that perhaps we'll be strong enough to take it from there ourselves but we need to be established in our new conference in order to survive without the Drews If that takes one last assist from the Drews so be it. I just want this program back on track.

crusader05

With the buy-out he's probably gonna get he'd have enough money to pay for the upgrades he would want at the ARC himself

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2019, 10:08:45 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on March 22, 2019, 10:01:46 AM

[tweet]1109087885607817216[/tweet]
Ok I'm the moron. I can live with that. Having said that if the AD hires Drew he might be run out of town. Alabama does not hire Vandy rejects. However, I have been wrong before...

vufan75

Remember Bryce's wife is from the south so I would doubt she would be happy coming back north again. Would love to see Bryce back on Valpo's sideline again but just can't see it happening now. He will get a new job at another high major program I'd guess. If not this year then he can still cash Vandy checks for a few more years. Alabama just doesn't seem to fit the criteria we've heard about before as in a private school. Maybe Wake Forest I could see if that job would be open someday?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bbtds

My thought is Bryce might spend a year as Scott's special asst to the head coach at Baylor and then get hired at an even lower Major (P5) than Vanderbilt for the season after next (2020-2021). He will no longer look for his perfect job but will look for a private school where he can still freely express his Christianity. He can no longer be picky with his choice of jobs. He will need to work in 2020-2021.

mj

Quote from: vufan75 on March 22, 2019, 10:51:25 AMWould love to see Bryce back on Valpo's sideline again but just can't see it happening now. He will get a new job at another high major program I'd guess.

Bryce went 0-18 in SEC conference play. Seems like his stock is down at the moment. Maybe he takes an assistant position somewhere?
I believe that we will win.

bigmosmithfan1

Look, I realize Bama is football-first but if that AD things Tide fans won't be all over him for hiring a guy who just got fired at Vandy, he thinks he's more invincible than he actually is. They'd hire a successful coach away from Vandy in a heartbeat, but one who just went winless in the SEC?

Bryce has two paths now -- go back to a midmajor and win for a few years and prove that the Vandy situation was a fluke, or go get a top assistant's gig at a P5 for a few years and continue kicking butt on the recruiting trail so that another school is willing to give him another chance with a high-major program because his ability to draw talent is undeniable.

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong on this but a fired HC with such a short track record at the P5 level is going to have a reeaallly hard time walking into another P5 job without a stopover somewhere else for a few seasons at least.

Also, y'all are nuts if you wouldn't trade him for Lottich in a heartbeat. (No, it won't happen for a number of reasons. But that still needs to be said).

vu72

I just can't see any major program's fans being excited about hiring a coach who just lost 20 in a row.  "Get excited fans, we just got a great new coach who has proven he can turn a program...into crap in three years"  I don't see it happening.  Perhaps a assistant gig or doing a Tubby Smith, moving way down to take a head coaching gig somewhere.  Hopefully Homer and Janet and Dana and family haven't got to in love with country music!  Wow, just wow.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteHe will need to work in 2020-2021.

Bryce's net worth between his Vandy contract (of which he will receive most if not all despite the firing), his NBA earnings, investments and his very respectable six-figure salary during his Valpo years is probably north of $25M. He won't "need" to work anywhere the rest of his life unless he wants to.

Valpo Joe

Have Homer come back for a year  ::) move Matt down on the bench  :thumbsup: bring back Powell  ::) tell Bruce to help Scott after Baylor tanks to the Zags :whiteflag: Oh yah fire the AD :o

VUOR63

Does this mean that the Valpo-Vandy home and home isn't happening?

justducky

Might we get a Vandy buyout check without even playing them?

If they do show I can picture dozens of us packing the first half dozen rows to watch the worst of the SEC and MVC battle for ahhhhhhhhhh  ???  "The Team Rebuild Title".

VUGrad1314

I think we'll get a buyout check Maybe we can use it for a facility upgrade or a better coach if that's the direction they decide to go

bigmosmithfan1

Yes, we will get a buyout check from Vandy unless they don't want to pay that, in which case they'll play the contractually obligated game. This was never a question -- we're getting a game from Vandy or we're getting a check.

VULB#62

Powell is out of there as well. He tied his future to Bryce. We know how that went. Is he a possible replacement candidate for Matt should MLB decide to start fresh?