• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

humbleopinion

The rift that Evelyn mentioned continues to intrigue me.
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 21, 2019, 12:10:54 PM
Paul Oren

Verified account

@NWIOren
Follow Follow @NWIOren
More
Valparaiso's Markus Golder tells @NWI that he is "exploring a grad transfer." Golder added he wouldn't be making any additional comments at this time. #MVCHoops

11:49 AM - 21 Mar 2019

No confidence in coach.  Some still are in denial. Some would support Lottich if the entire team bolted.  smdh

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 21, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
The rift that Evelyn mentioned continues to intrigue me.

I've been wondering about this as well. He mentioned something about the injuries causing a rift because certain guys were forced to play out of position? I'm not sure how seriously I take every word Bakari says because he just gives off the vibe of being a bit bitter about some things. What did he want to be the primary ballhandler and be the go to PG? I can't blame Lottich for having him play off the ball so much because Bakari doesn't have great handles for a 1. As much as I find the amount of injuries with the ankles curious but he seemed to take a shot at the training staff on the way out. I can't give a educated opinion about the trainers qualifications, but sometimes guys like him are just injury prone as is Fazekas. 3 ankle surgeries sound like a chronic injury.

If guys were mad about playing out of position with as many injuries as we had this season then Lottich might be right about a few them being selfish. It's a team sport and the world doesn't revolve around what one individual player wants to do.

M

Bakari was the worst of the bunch that are leaving and it's not even close. Idk where he's going to go and get as many opportunities after so many let downs. Maybe he bounces back...maybe not.

I'll bet he winds up at oakland or Detroit.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on March 21, 2019, 10:38:09 PMBakari was the worst of the bunch that are leaving and it's not even close. Idk where he's going to go and get as many opportunities after so many let downs. Maybe he bounces back...maybe not. I'll bet he winds up at oakland or Detroit.

And has a great season. When healthy he was a really good player.

a3uge

Quote from: M on March 21, 2019, 10:38:09 PM
Bakari was the worst of the bunch that are leaving and it's not even close. Idk where he's going to go and get as many opportunities after so many let downs. Maybe he bounces back...maybe not.

I'll bet he winds up at oakland or Detroit.
It's never good to lose 4 players at once, but it's good 3 of those were going to be seniors in what's obviously now a rebuilding year. Bakari had a terrible year - a 5.7 PER in conference. Handing the keys over to anyone not on last year's roster seems like a decent start for a rebuild.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: a3uge on March 21, 2019, 11:11:14 PM
Quote from: M on March 21, 2019, 10:38:09 PMBakari was the worst of the bunch that are leaving and it's not even close. Idk where he's going to go and get as many opportunities after so many let downs. Maybe he bounces back...maybe not. I'll bet he winds up at oakland or Detroit.
It's never good to lose 4 players at once, but it's good 3 of those were going to be seniors in what's obviously now a rebuilding year. Bakari had a terrible year - a 5.7 PER in conference. Handing the keys over to anyone not on last year's roster seems like a decent start for a rebuild.

Does that include giving the keys to the whole operation to someone other than Lottich?

VU2014

I think if Bakari gets healthy and find the right fit with a team, he could have a nice season. Needs to get that ankle right.

bigmosmithfan1

Mass transfers means there's something fundamentally wrong with the coaching staff and program. Period. Find one healthy program who has lost this many transfers in one season. You can't.

Sorry, but anything short of a full cleaning of the house at this point is a reshuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on March 21, 2019, 11:26:47 PM
I think if Bakari gets healthy and find the right fit with a team, he could have a nice season. Needs to get that ankle right.
Perhaps. His game took a major step back this year, but he was nowhere near as bad in 2017-18.   Either way, I'm not sure a NCAA tournament worthy team will find him all that intriguing with that very poor year. It's not like he'd be a strong, consistent veteran presence.

humbleopinion

Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on this board are conspiring to bring the basketball program and the university to its knees.  If a potential recruit would read their posts he (assuming we're talking about the men's bball  program) would believe that the facilities are miserable, the coach has no clue, the athletic department refuses to support the program, and the university administration has no time for athletics.  Of course, we're seeing the same few posters repeating these themes dozens of time per day.

I would like recruits to think of Valpo as a program that can show that individuals and teams can persevere in times of adversity;  a program that identifies areas for player and team (and even coaches') development; a program that has a history of consistently being in the top 100 despite its challenges; a program that values academics and moral development; and a program that values its players as individuals.

We need players who share those values and believe that they will be appreciated for their contributions.  We have a good core of players; I hope we can build on our core. No one has said that our coach isn't smart; I believe that he can identify his own challenges and, perhaps with help, determine what changes he needs to make.

I was raised Lutheran, and I was required to put much of the Small Catechism to memory.  Luther's explanation of the eighth commandment states that when we deal with another we should "speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything."  As such, I work to  believe that all of the posters at heart want what is best for the university.  Still, for the good of recruiting, the program, and the university, I would like everyone on this board to pay heed to Luther's admonition.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

I can assure you there's no collusion.

a3uge

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 22, 2019, 07:16:40 AM
Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters on this board are conspiring to bring the basketball program and the university to its knees.  If a potential recruit would read their posts he (assuming we're talking about the men's bball  program) would believe that the facilities are miserable, the coach has no clue, the athletic department refuses to support the program, and the university administration has no time for athletics.  Of course, we're seeing the same few posters repeating these themes dozens of time per day.

I can see why you think that way. It's the same 3 or 4 posts by the same posters several times a day, with nothing really added to the discussion.

oklahomamick

Our grad's transfer....Not Oakland.  All 3 coming back for 5th year.  Cleveland St. used to have this problem.  Actually, I don't think 4 teammates did it at the same time immediately after the season.

With that said, I want to announce my transfer.  I'm transferring my time, donations (little, but I do it) and care to something else.  For 20 years I was a fan.  When I was 1,000 miles away I made sure I had espn plus and would pick two games to fly too. 

In a year, when things are worse, I will come back to tell the few "followers" I told you so.  I just hope that in a year there isn't so much damage that the program can't overcome.  This program has seen a lot of success the last 2 decades, I hope it doesn't get erased and it can get back to how it was.  Until then....
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 22, 2019, 07:16:40 AM

I would like recruits to think of Valpo as a program that can show that individuals and teams can persevere in times of adversity;  a program that identifies areas for player and team (and even coaches') development; a program that has a history of consistently being in the top 100 despite its challenges; a program that values academics and moral development; and a program that values its players as individuals.

We need players who share those values and believe that they will be appreciated for their contributions.  We have a good core of players; I hope we can build on our core. No one has said that our coach isn't smart; I believe that he can identify his own challenges and, perhaps with help, determine what changes he needs to make.

I was raised Lutheran, and I was required to put much of the Small Catechism to memory.  Luther's explanation of the eighth commandment states that when we deal with another we should "speak well of him, and put the best construction on everything."  As such, I work to  believe that all of the posters at heart want what is best for the university.  Still, for the good of recruiting, the program, and the university, I would like everyone on this board to pay heed to Luther's admonition.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 19, 2019, 05:29:39 PM
A lot of us here don't see it in Lottich.  Several fans from other schools think he is bad too.  But what's more telling for you believers out there is his very own team doesn't see it. 

Exact same things were said about Homer Drew, Gene Bartow, Bill Purden, Scott Drew (2002-lost Mid-Con championship game to IUPUI---IUPUI!!!) Some players bailed on those coaches too.

crusader05

The question for me is: does anything change. That's my whole argument for a fourth year. New coach, lotta outside stuff, but obviously he missed things or recruited players that had skills but didn't fit in his style. What happens next?

AlecPeters101

Micah is next. Maybe the other big. Book it.

VULB#62

As a manager in my past life, I always told those who I worked with that id there is a problem, just don't identify the issue and walk away.  Always come armed with idas for a solution to that isue.  Here goes.

In light of all that's happened this week, and if the AD were to have brought me in as a consultant to assist in dealing with this situation, I would suggest that the first step that should be taken by the Athletic Director is to perform an in-depth, structured, root cause analysis of the current crisis and make that ONE element of developing a comprehensive "Strategic Plan for the Reinvigoration of Valpo Athletics" to be shared with the President and B of T.

The first, and most immediate step would be to perform an assessment, totally independent of the MBB program, of why the sudden exit of so many quality athletes at this crucial time in the team's history.  Essential to that assessment is a series of exhaustive (perhaps 90 minutes) and consistently presented, private exit interviews with the five departing players (including Deion as a graduating player). 

I am not talking about the typical "what did you enjoy and what are your recommendations for improvement" type of cursory sessions.  No. I am talking about a detailed script of very important questions, in several categories, that needs to be followed, in full confidence, with each transfer and Deion.  To wit (this is just a flight of ideas and, of course, it needs to be fine tuned by smarter people than me, but it serves as an example):

THE UNIVERSITY
What attracted you to Valpo in the first place?
How did you find the academic experience?
Were you able to balance BB and academic responsibilities?  Why/why not?
How was the social experience?
What were the highlights of your entire stay on campus?
What were the disappointments of your stay?

THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM
OVERALL:
What one thing attracted you to Valpo BB?

RECRUITING:
Overall, how would you assess how your recruitment went?
Were any promises (if any) made to you?  Were they kept?
What expectations did you form coming into the program?  Were they fulfilled?  If not, what do you think caused that to happen?

INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF COACHING STAFF
What is your assessment of the coaching staff as a whole?
Was the staff as a whole always on the same page?
What was your relationship with each coach, and what do you consider the strengths and weaknesses of each?
Derek Bol – S&C
Matt Bowen – Special Assistant
Rob Holloway –Assistant
Todd Townsend – Assistant
Luke Gore – Associate Head Coach
Matt Lottich – Head Coach

OFFENSE
What is your assessment of the offense employed by Valpo?
Were you satisfied with the role you were given? Why?
What can be improved?

DEFENSE:
What is your assessment of the defense employed by Valpo
What can be improved?

PRACTICES
Were in-season practices well run and specific to opponent game plans?
Was there sufficient opportunity for personal skill development?
Did practices bing out the best in you?

TEAMMATES AND TEAM ENVIRONMENT/CULTURE
On a scale of 1-5 (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how would you assess the VUBB team culture?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the team culture?
Was there a culture of comradeship among players? If not, why?
Were there cliques?

FACILITIES
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the BB locker room and support facilities for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the team facilities?
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the ARC playing facilities for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the ARC?
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you, as a player, with the game day atmosphere in the ARC?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the environment?

MVC AND SCHEDULE
How was playing in the MVC?
What is your assessment of the Out-of-Conference portion of the schedule?
Thoughts on scheduling?

TRAVEL
Considering the mid-major level of our program, on a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the travel arrangements, timing and experience for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the travel experience?

FINALLY:
If your best friend tells you he has a scholarship offer from Valpo to play basketball, what would you tell him?

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 22, 2019, 11:34:41 AM
As a manager in my past life, I always told those who I worked with that id there is a problem, just don't identify the issue and walk away.  Always come armed with idas for a solution to that isue.  Here goes.

In light of all that's happened this week, and if the AD were to have brought me in as a consultant to assist in dealing with this situation, I would suggest that the first step that should be taken by the Athletic Director is to perform an in-depth, structured, root cause analysis of the current crisis and make that ONE element of developing a comprehensive "Strategic Plan for the Reinvigoration of Valpo Athletics" to be shared with the President and B of T.

The first, and most immediate step would be to perform an assessment, totally independent of the MBB program, of why the sudden exit of so many quality athletes at this crucial time in the team's history.  Essential to that assessment is a series of exhaustive (perhaps 90 minutes) and consistently presented, private exit interviews with the five departing players (including Deion as a graduating player). 

I am not talking about the typical "what did you enjoy and what are your recommendations for improvement" type of cursory sessions.  No. I am talking about a detailed script of very important questions, in several categories, that needs to be followed, in full confidence, with each transfer and Deion.  To wit (this is just a flight of ideas and, of course, it needs to be fine tuned by smarter people than me, but it serves as an example):

THE UNIVERSITY
What attracted you to Valpo in the first place?
How did you find the academic experience?
Were you able to balance BB and academic responsibilities?  Why/why not?
How was the social experience?
What were the highlights of your entire stay on campus?
What were the disappointments of your stay?

THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM
OVERALL:
What one thing attracted you to Valpo BB?

RECRUITING:
Overall, how would you assess how your recruitment went?
Were any promises (if any) made to you?  Were they kept?
What expectations did you form coming into the program?  Were they fulfilled?  If not, what do you think caused that to happen?

INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF COACHING STAFF
What is your assessment of the coaching staff as a whole?
Was the staff as a whole always on the same page?
What was your relationship with each coach, and what do you consider the strengths and weaknesses of each?
Derek Bol – S&C
Matt Bowen – Special Assistant
Rob Holloway –Assistant
Todd Townsend – Assistant
Luke Gore – Associate Head Coach
Matt Lottich – Head Coach

OFFENSE
What is your assessment of the offense employed by Valpo?
What can be improved?

DEFENSE:
What is your assessment of the defense employed by Valpo
What can be improved?

PRACTICES
Were in-season practices well run and specific to opponent game plans?
Was there sufficient opportunity for personal skill development?
Did practices bing out the best in you?

TEAMMATES AND TEAM ENVIRONMENT/CULTURE
On a scale of 1-5 (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how would you assess the VUBB team culture?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the team culture?
Was there a culture of comradeship among players? If not, why?
Were there cliques?

FACILITIES
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the BB locker room and support facilities for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the team facilities?
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the ARC playing facilities for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the ARC?
On a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you, as a player, with the game day atmosphere in the ARC?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the environment?

MVC AND SCHEDULE
How was playing in the MVC?
What is your assessment of the Out-of-Conference portion of the schedule?
Thoughts on scheduling?

TRAVEL
Considering the mid-major level of our program, on a 1-5 rating scale  (with 1 being poor and 5 being great) how pleased were you with the travel arrangements, timing and experience for MBB?
If less than a 5, what should be done to improve the travel experience?

FINALLY:
If your best friend tells you he has a scholarship offer from Valpo to play basketball, what would you tell him?

Thank you,  ::)  no disrespect but in the Requiem thread I had already boiled down everything you said into 7 sentences and 120 words. Brevity is good,  :thumbsup: and many of our posters have short attention spans. I hope our AD will put in the weeks of inquiry that both of us have suggested.

VULB#62

Point taken Ducky, but i purposely went into excruciating detail to illustrate that in the past, IMO, there has been a lack of structure, attention to detail, and consistent discipline to address fundamental deficiencies in most aspects of the university's approach to athletics. Those characteristics have to be instituted now. And at a level of detail similar to theexample I threw out there.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 22, 2019, 12:25:50 PM
Point taken Ducky, but i purposely went into excruciating detail to illustrate that in the past, IMO, there has been a lack of structure, attention to detail, and consistent discipline to address fundamental deficiencies in most aspects of the university's approach to athletics. Those characteristics have to be instituted now. And at a level of detail similar to theexample I threw out there.

VULB#62 I hope you are sending this to Mark LaBarbera. I'm sure he has his hands full but he may very well find this interesting. This is the type of constructive things we need to be focusing on.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 22, 2019, 08:07:29 AM
Our grad's transfer....Not Oakland.  All 3 coming back for 5th year.  Cleveland St. used to have this problem.  Actually, I don't think 4 teammates did it at the same time immediately after the season.

With that said, I want to announce my transfer.  I'm transferring my time, donations (little, but I do it) and care to something else.  For 20 years I was a fan.  When I was 1,000 miles away I made sure I had espn plus and would pick two games to fly too. 

In a year, when things are worse, I will come back to tell the few "followers" I told you so.  I just hope that in a year there isn't so much damage that the program can't overcome.  This program has seen a lot of success the last 2 decades, I hope it doesn't get erased and it can get back to how it was.  Until then....

Were you hoping for a mic drop moment here?  We will be texting about Valpo well into our elder years you crazy Sooner 😉😉😉

IrishDawg

FWIW - hot chatter around Butler is that Joey Brunk will be transferring.  Actually a lot like Derrik Smits in terms of a big that is a good offensive player, but needs to improve on his ball screen defense.