• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on March 23, 2019, 10:22:48 AM
FWIW - hot chatter around Butler is that Joey Brunk will be transferring.  Actually a lot like Derrik Smits in terms of a big that is a good offensive player, but needs to improve on his ball screen defense.

If Butler fans are anything like ours I would think they would be calling for the coaches head!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

They probably are... LaVall hasn't done much for Butler in his tenure. One thing they aren't complaining about however is facilities and administrative commitment. They'll be fine. One transfer isn't going to sink them. Ultimately that's true of Valpo too. Losing JFL hurts more than anything else but hopefully they can rally soon.

VULB#62

Just visited the MVCFans forum to see how our crisis is being discussed.  The main thread title?  "EMERGENCY: Valpo Nuclear Implosion"

VUGrad1314

It's not an unfair title especially from outside sources who only see how this looks to them and may not know much about the me first vs we first struggle this team seems to be facing according to Coach Lottich.

VUGrad1314

I'm now back on board with giving him another season. After reflecting on some of your (and my) comments I reached the conclusion that there is enough reasonable doubt as to who is at fault for the team's struggles to warrant giving him another year. He deserves a one year referendum on whether it's his coaching or lousy attitudes/mental midgets on the roster. Maybe it's just resignation maybe I'm just grasping at straws but why not play this out. IF he's right there is still hope for the program. If he's not and this team still sucks then he must go. No young team excuse No tough transition allowances Not injuries scheduling or travel. Nothing. Though if it is something like injuries then we really need to look at strength and conditioning as the problem and make changes there or look at what in our facilities is causing these injuries if anything.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 23, 2019, 12:48:24 PM
I'm now back on board with giving him another season. After reflecting on some of your (and my) comments I reached the conclusion that there is enough reasonable doubt as to who is at fault for the team's struggles to warrant giving him another year. He deserves a one year referendum on whether it's his coaching or lousy attitudes/mental midgets on the roster. Maybe it's just resignation maybe I'm just grasping at straws but why not play this out. IF he's right there is still hope for the program. If he's not and this team still sucks then he must go. No young team excuse No tough transition allowances Not injuries scheduling or travel. Nothing. Though if it is something like injuries then we really need to look at strength and conditioning as the problem and make changes there or look at what in our facilities is causing these injuries if anything.

Welcome back, my friend.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on March 23, 2019, 01:12:01 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 23, 2019, 12:48:24 PM

Welcome back, my friend.

...To the show that never ends (for older members with a nod to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

VUBBFan

Well it looks like Golder is still hanging around VU right now at least.

https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1109517691210121216

NativeCheesehead

I do not think he should have one more year but I know he'll have at least that so I'm rooting hard for him to have a great summer of recruiting.

The next 3 years of this program will likely be determined before we even take the floor next year.

I do hope MLB does what was suggested and begins to really take stock of the program as a whole. One way or another the next 12 months will go a long way to defining his legacy.

usc4valpo

I was never on the fire Lottich bandwagon. There are bigger problems at Valpo that are not being addressed.

elephtheria47

From the outside, who wouldn't think valpo is exploding? Especially if they come to our board to learn more information and see over half the people here completely against Lottich. While he is the HC, a lot of things HAVE been, and still are, out of his control. I'm hoping it's addition by subtraction so far, and he can grab a solid player or two this offseason, and we can be a solid team next year. Valpo is STILL a name most players are familiar with and Loyola just went to the Final 4 last year...grad players want to play and the MVC was a complete toss up this year...playing time is available and NCAA bid is not completely unattainable. Time to strike.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 23, 2019, 01:26:00 PM
Well it looks like Golder is still hanging around VU right now at least.

Is this correct?  Marcus has never formally stated he IS FOR SURE transferring. His only statement was that he was "exploring" tranferring and had no further comment.

So..... is there still a remote chance he will stay?

Valpofan15

It's not like guys who are transferring just pack up and leave school. Still have to go to class and graduate.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 23, 2019, 02:11:30 PM
Is this correct?  Marcus has never formally stated he IS FOR SURE transferring. His only statement was that he was "exploring" tranferring and had no further comment.

ML and staff should be pulling out all the stops to "re-recruit" Markus to Valpo.  I hope that once he see's who else has interest in him, he decides to return. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 23, 2019, 02:22:57 PM

ML and staff should be pulling out all the stops to "re-recruit" Markus to Valpo.  I hope that once he see's who else has interest in him, he decides to return.

Per NCAA rule if you transfer to another 4-year school and do not practice or compete you can use an exception to compete immediately at your first school.......for what it's worth.  Basically it must mean that if these guys enter the transfer portal it's akin to testing the NBA waters.

I don't think most of these guys are even considering taking their name off the transfer market, but it would not appear final until we fill their vacant (last) scholarship or they practice/compete with the 2nd school.  Again, for what it's worth.

wh

It feels like it's been forever since Micah last played. I don't know where he's at in his recovery or overall development, but he should have a golden opportunity to be a difference-maker next year.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on March 23, 2019, 06:41:44 PM
It feels like it's been forever since Micah last played. I don't know where he's at in his recovery or overall development, but he should have a golden opportunity to be a difference-maker next year.

He may never be the Steph Curry-espe style type player we hoped he could be when he was an incoming freshman but if he can run the offense efficiently and be a stabilizing force on the court he could be a difference maker. He had a really good connection with Sorolla when they were on the court together. He was a solid distributor the 2nd half of that season. He just needed to fix his free throw shooting and develop a consistent jump shot to keep defenders honest.

valpotx

If Bradford and Golder stayed, they'd have all of the opportunity in the world to help run this team.  However, I imagine that both end up transferring.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2019, 10:06:43 PM
If Bradford and Golder stayed, they'd have all of the opportunity in the world to help run this team.  However, I imagine that both end up transferring.

Yeah I don't see Golder coming back. Micah I'm not so sure about.

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 23, 2019, 04:32:06 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on March 23, 2019, 02:22:57 PM

Per NCAA rule if you transfer to another 4-year school and do not practice or compete you can use an exception to compete immediately at your first school.......for what it's worth.  Basically it must mean that if these guys enter the transfer portal it's akin to testing the NBA waters.

I don't think most of these guys are even considering taking their name off the transfer market, but it would not appear final until we fill their vacant (last) scholarship or they practice/compete with the 2nd school.  Again, for what it's worth.

Hard not to be excited about Micah's return after watching that video!  :thewave:

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on March 23, 2019, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2019, 10:06:43 PMIf Bradford and Golder stayed, they'd have all of the opportunity in the world to help run this team.  However, I imagine that both end up transferring.
Yeah I don't see Golder coming back. Micah I'm not so sure about.
As I said before, I thought that if either Evelyn or Golder left the other would follow suit. Right now I see Golder as testing the waters first before officially transferring. I believe he wants to play somewhere nearer his home town and family. It seems, at least to me, he is leaving the door open to remain at Valpo and maybe taking some extra time to think about it.

If he doesn't find the right fit he still has the option of staying. I would love for him to be here next year but I'm not very optimistic of that happening. 

I see this like sending out resumes to test the waters. You may not really be totally upset with your current job but first want to see if there is something better before giving your formal resignatiion

M

Hopefully the coaches are recruiting to replace him...if they find someone they like and he hasn't made up his mind they will have to make it for him. If they can't or maybe they'd rather recruit him to stay.

Valpofan15

Good riddance to Markus. If he doesn't want to be a valpo then leave. Why would you want to have a kid around who would rather be elsewhere.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2019, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on March 23, 2019, 10:22:48 AM
FWIW - hot chatter around Butler is that Joey Brunk will be transferring.  Actually a lot like Derrik Smits in terms of a big that is a good offensive player, but needs to improve on his ball screen defense.

If Butler fans are anything like ours I would think they would be calling for the coaches head!

You might be surprised. It ain't that bad. Jordan seems to get kinda of a pass, not from everybody, because he was schooled in the Butler Way and doesn't have a mental disease.

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/big-east-coaches-aka-lj-is-better-than-you-think.2452/

wh

Let me get this fantasy scenario straight. Golder wants to put his name out there, shop his services around, talk to other coaching staffs, maybe take a visit or two, discuss it with mom, then decide if he wants to stay or go?  Is that it?  In the meantime what do we do?  Wait for his decision before recruiting a replacement while all the good transfer candidates and JC players get snapped up by other programs? Or, do we make someone an offer contingent on Golder leaving?  I'm sure that would work well. Or, do we go full speed ahead and offer someone, even though Golder is still on scholarship, has elegibility left, and might want to come back?

As if current our current situation isn't unsettling enough, this would be a whole new, self-inflicted  chaotic mess. There is 1, and only 1, next step - tell Golder good bye and good luck and get someone in here who's excited to be a Crusader, has a great attitude, and fills a pressing need.