• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

78crusader

Drake nearly had to start from scratch last spring.  Look how things turned out for them this year.  If they did it, we can too.

Paul

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2019, 11:06:56 AM
Let me get this fantasy scenario straight. Golder wants to put his name out there, shop his services around, talk to other coaching staffs, maybe take a visit or two, discuss it with mom, then decide if he wants to stay or go?  Is that it?  In the meantime what do we do?  Wait for his decision before recruiting a replacement while all the good transfer candidates and JC players get snapped up by other programs? Or, do we make someone an offer contingent on Golder leaving?  I'm sure that would work well. Or, do we go full speed ahead and offer someone, even though Golder is still on scholarship, has elegibility left, and might want to come back?

As if current our current situation isn't unsettling enough, this would be a whole new, self-inflicted  chaotic mess. There is 1, and only 1, next step - tell Golder good bye and good luck and get someone in here who's excited to be a Crusader, has a great attitude, and fills a pressing need.

I'd amend it slightly to something like  "Marcus, we realize you need to work through this, but in fairness to Valpo, the longer this drags on the bigger predicament the BB program is placed into.  Please give us a stay or go by April 1st [5th, 15th, whatever, but soon].  At that point we will recruit to replace you unless you make a full commitment to Valpo."

JD24

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2019, 11:06:56 AMLet me get this fantasy scenario straight. Golder wants to put his name out there, shop his services around, talk to other coaching staffs, maybe take a visit or two, discuss it with mom, then decide if he wants to stay or go?  Is that it?  In the meantime what do we do?  Wait for his decision before recruiting a replacement while all the good transfer candidates and JC players get snapped up by other programs? Or, do we make someone an offer contingent on Golder leaving?  I'm sure that would work well. Or, do we go full speed ahead and offer someone, even though Golder is still on scholarship, has elegibility left, and might want to come back? As if current our current situation isn't unsettling enough, this would be a whole new, self-inflicted  chaotic mess. There is 1, and only 1, next step - tell Golder good bye and good luck and get someone in here who's excited to be a Crusader, has a great attitude, and fills a pressing need.
I hadn't thought of this but, if a player indicates he wishes to transfer without a final decision, can the school revoke his scholarship in the interim and give it to another player so that when the potential transfer comes in and says "I'm back" the school can say "see ya"?

NativeCheesehead

Guys we have no idea what was said or has been said. The piling on Marcus seems unnecessary.

VU2014

Quote from: Valpofan15 on March 24, 2019, 09:51:57 AM
Good riddance to Markus. If he doesn't want to be a valpo then leave. Why would you want to have a kid around who would rather be elsewhere.

Good riddance? Really?? A bit harsh?

Say what you want about Golder's game but he always played hard and gave effort when he was out there. He wasn't a perfect player but he always played hard.

Maybe you should think twice about your choice of words next time... I'm not happy about his transfer either but it's not like he's a bad kid.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on March 24, 2019, 01:06:33 PMI hadn't thought of this but, if a player indicates he wishes to transfer without a final decision, can the school revoke his scholarship in the interim and give it to another player so that when the potential transfer comes in and says "I'm back" the school can say "see ya"?

I think the answer is "yes".  It seems the scholarship offers are on an annual basis, not for four years.

On a side not, I wonder if we have a shot at one of the three Northwestern transfers, two of which are immediately eligible.

Jordan Ash, 6'3" 3* from Westchester IL, played for the Illinois Wolves

Barret Benson 6'10" 3.3*  from Chicago      "       "    "        "        "

Aaron Falzon 6'8" 3.7*    NOT Eligible
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2019, 01:26:54 PMI think the answer is "yes".  It seems the scholarship offers are on an annual basis, not for four years. 
This I'm aware of but is there a specific point in time that all parties would need to have their decisions made?

crusader05

My guess is that once the tournament is over you'd want to have a final idea of scholarships available with at least a few of them close to if not already filled. Right now with four available if you count Marcus my guess is you work on getting 3 people who can play at once and start looking at the transfer sit one market to have people to choose from if Marcus leaves or anyone else does. You also may work on trying to have a cohesiveness to the players you recruit. Peters was a star recruit but he was also successful because that incoming class included Lexus, Jubril and Nick. Not necessarily because of all the talent but because they became the core of the team. We have been more more focused on slotting random players vs rebuilding a core again so this could be an opportunity to do so.

The other piece is that in today's world there's not keeping anything a secret. Maybe Golder just wanted to see what was out there, knew it would get out and so that's why we got the no comment statement vs the others who are were much more definitive on leaving

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2019, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Valpofan15 on March 24, 2019, 09:51:57 AM
Good riddance to Markus. If he doesn't want to be a valpo then leave. Why would you want to have a kid around who would rather be elsewhere.

Good riddance? Really?? A bit harsh?

Say what you want about Golder's game but he always played hard and gave effort when he was out there. He wasn't a perfect player but he always played hard.

Maybe you should think twice about your choice of words next time... I'm not happy about his transfer either but it's not like he's a bad kid.

If that's their feelings then what do they have to think about?  I'd like to see Markus finish out at Valpo though.

bbtds

IDK, Bryce got away with rescinding his offer to the foreign/private Virginia school recruit when the NCAA gave Vashil Fernandez another year of eligibility.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 23, 2019, 11:47:33 AM
Just visited the MVCFans forum to see how our crisis is being discussed.  The main thread title?  "EMERGENCY: Valpo Nuclear Implosion"

I think that thread title was mostly due to the over reaction on this message board.

VULB#62

Absolutely. The original thread title was Smits Transferring and eventually morphed to this.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on March 24, 2019, 04:07:44 PM"EMERGENCY: Valpo Nuclear Implosion"

I was referring to this thread title from the MVCFans message board.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on March 24, 2019, 07:56:30 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 24, 2019, 04:07:44 PM"EMERGENCY: Valpo Nuclear Implosion"

I was referring to this thread title from the MVCFans message board.

Yes. That one MVCFans string title morphed over several days as posters changed it in their posts.

M

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 24, 2019, 04:36:41 PM
Absolutely. The original thread title was Smits Transferring and eventually morphed to this.
The original title of this thread was, and still is, "transfers". It was intended to track our guys transferring as well as potential transfer targets to replace them. I believe I started this thread right at seasons end before Smits announced anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksValpo01

Quote from: JD24 on March 24, 2019, 01:40:07 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2019, 01:26:54 PMI think the answer is "yes".  It seems the scholarship offers are on an annual basis, not for four years. 
This I'm aware of but is there a specific point in time that all parties would need to have their decisions made?

The NCAA rules allow a school to cancel a scholarship at the end of the semester that a student requests transfer (this was the part B to the new transfer rule). His aid would be in play until the end of spring and then would not be renewed for the coming year. Valpo has a policy for this - if Markus decided to stay, then Matt could decide he would give him back his roster spot and his scholarship.

RS

Regarding transfers this is a blast from the past. After the 1984-85 Valpo had 4 freshmen either quit or transfer out from an outstanding freshmen class. Larry Dougherty was a 6'4 guard from Kansas that lead the team in scoring with 14.2 pts/game. Jeff Rekeweg was a 6'6 forward from Kendallville In. who averaged 6.5 pts/gm and transferred to Nebraska. Curtis Rias was a 6'2 guard who averaged 5.8 pts/gm and played at Bishop Noll. Ron Rose was a 6'1 guard from Morton IL who only played 8 games but averaged 3.5 pts/gm before he quit. What this lead to was incoming recruit James Farr deciding not to come to VU. He was MVP of the 1984 class 2A championship game in Illinois playing for Chicago Mt. Carmel. Went on to have a decent career at Creighton. By the way the freshmen that decided to stay that year had fine careers at VU. Harry Bell, Jerome Battle and Todd Smith.

tiny707

Quote from: RS on March 25, 2019, 07:11:25 PM
Regarding transfers this is a blast from the past. After the 1984-85 Valpo had 4 freshmen either quit or transfer out from an outstanding freshmen class. Larry Dougherty was a 6'4 guard from Kansas that lead the team in scoring with 14.2 pts/game. Jeff Rekeweg was a 6'6 forward from Kendallville In. who averaged 6.5 pts/gm and transferred to Nebraska. Curtis Rias was a 6'2 guard who averaged 5.8 pts/gm and played at Bishop Noll. Ron Rose was a 6'1 guard from Morton IL who only played 8 games but averaged 3.5 pts/gm before he quit. What this lead to was incoming recruit James Farr deciding not to come to VU. He was MVP of the 1984 class 2A championship game in Illinois playing for Chicago Mt. Carmel. Went on to have a decent career at Creighton. By the way the freshmen that decided to stay that year had fine careers at VU. Harry Bell, Jerome Battle and Todd Smith.

Harry Bell was awesome! I think he played in Hungary.

valpo84

Goodman's list is now up to 350 today, and saw that Indiana State has 2 names on the list. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

Guys this is a very bad sign...

Snow isn't some random dude on the internet. This has to raise a slight alarm with the AD when things like this are mentioned by people with some form of credibility.

I hope Mark LaBarbera was able to have a private and truthful exit interview with the exiting interview to get to the bottom of it. Particularly for Golder. I could see the rational for Smits and Javon but the Golder one really is the one I'd put the most stock into.

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1110593905379012608?s=21

VUGrad1314

What do you expect him to say? This doesn't happen very often especially to programs ad established and respected as Valpo It's impossible to spin this positively. Hopefully this Spurs the changes we need in the institutional commitment/facilities department and puts needed pressure on the leadership to perform. One way or another I want this to spark a new and betterera in Valpo Athletics. If that happens all this pain and turmoil will have been worth it

truth219

Just got on twitter...#bringbrycehome is a thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

VU2014

Tim Miles is leaving Nebraska. I wonder if former Valpo recruit Nana Akenten will test the transfer market. He was suspended on March 20th from the team for undisclosed reasons. Which I know will be an automatic rule out for consideration by some on this board. Not sure if the coaching staff would be willing to take a risk at this point. He's been a bit disappointing there but has been somewhat buried on the bench at times.

My gut says they don't go after red shirt guys because the coaches are in win now mode or probably should be for their jobs sake. Whatever they do I hope they keep the future of the team in mind when filling out the roster. Maybe they'll be gun shy on going after the future upside player in favor of the lowering ceiling player that could probably help immediately. Probably best to have a healthy mix of both on the roster. They need to find unselfish guys who want to play a team oriented game.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1110617603012247552

VU2014

Quote from: truth219 on March 26, 2019, 05:59:18 PM
Just got on twitter...#bringbrycehome is a thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

emails and letters to MLB, Heckler and the board members would be more effective at getting the point across. I know I've seen people @ing Mark LaBarbera (@ValpoAD) since the Bryce news on twitter