• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

wh

Another loser. Go home to mommy. We don't need you.

Clearly, he never progressed past his Freshman year. He's just a big stiff who might shoot 50% on an uncontested layup. He won't be hard to replace at all. Another good opportunity to improve our overall player quality. This is getting better by the day. Kudos to Matt for getting rid of all the deadwood.

M

It's not like the 5 we lost are world beaters...if more then 1 of them makes a major impact at their new location I will be shocked.  That said...we need some news about incoming guys very soon.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2019, 02:35:55 PM

Clearly, he never progressed past his Freshman year. He's just a big stiff who might shoot 50% on an uncontested layup. He won't be hard to replace at all. Another good opportunity to improve our overall player quality. This is getting better by the day. Kudos to Matt for getting rid of all the deadwood.

This degree of turnover is usually an indicator of poor leadership (in firms, organizations and government).

I sincerely hope that there is an influx of good talent, but I strongly doubt that will happen for two reasons: 1. if there were good players 'in waiting', Valpo would have announced at least one player with good talent and potential signing on to Valpo. They have not. 2. Any well-regarded high school player or JUCO is going to look at this degree of turnover and assume that there is something significantly wrong...and will thus not want to be a part of it.

vu84v2

Quote from: M on April 05, 2019, 02:37:51 PM
It's not like the 5 we lost are world beaters...if more then 1 of them makes a major impact at their new location I will be shocked.  That said...we need some news about incoming guys very soon.

Freeman has the best chance to have a major impact. Smits and Sorolla can be role players at the 5 at a team from the Top 8 conferences and possibly set themselves up for a career in Europe.

mj

Kudos to Matt for getting rid of all the deadwood.

Apparently the deadwood on this teams was the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th leading scorers.
I believe that we will win.

truth219

Quote from: mj on April 05, 2019, 04:49:12 PM

Apparently the deadwood on this teams was the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th leading scorers.
Thank you for saying this...some people love these kids until they transfer....this team is in trouble....the fans need answers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GoldenCrusader87

Comical to listen to... they're not the ones getting paid. They're kids. Kids on scholarship - yes. But, the buck isn't supposed to stop with unpaid college athletes. It's gotta stop with those who are well-paid employees hired to find, develop, and retain talented young athletes. And when they do that - sure you'll lose some games. Sure, you're not guaranteed a winning record. Sure, you'll still lose some guys here and there. I didn't see people upset after Parker and Marten transferred. At this point, many are starting to raise their eyebrows and ask: what's going on? Especially when you tag on the back-to-back losing seasons filled with blown leads and all sorts of ups and downs but mostly question marks.

VU2014

mj

As of right now, our returning players are: Fazekas, McMillian, Kaiser, and Sackey. That's a very very bad Division 1 team.

humbleopinion

According to Verbal Commits, Valpo is one of twenty-two D1 teams who have had five or more players transfer.  I guess it isn't as uncommon as I thought.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: truth219 on April 05, 2019, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: mj on April 05, 2019, 04:49:12 PM

Thank you for saying this...some people love these kids until they transfer....this team is in trouble....the fans need answers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's perfectly natural to think differently about a player after they quit the team. And by the way, these aren't "kids."  They're all 18-22 year old adults. If they were working instead of attending college, they would be nothing more than immature, spoiled young employees who think far more of themselves and their contributions to the workplace than they should. The boss doesn't appreciate them, management is stupid, blah, blah, blah. So they start job hopping until they finally come to the realization that maybe they didn't have it as bad as they thought, and need to let some air out of their inflated egos.

mj

It must be hard rooting for a team where you actually hate all of the players.

valpolaw

I'm not sure I'd call the players transferring immature or spoiled. If you look at it like a job with the players being the employees and ML and the AD being the boss, the players have voiced displeasure of some sort by all leaving otherwise they'd have stayed. Every job I've had with people leaving or heard of people leaving in masses was when people were not been happy with the leadership or overall structure. Rather than blaming those leaving, we need to look at why they are all leaving and fix it.

chairback

I think J has a ton of potential but we could not develop him further. He had a great freshman year and went backwards.   

I'm hearing there is 1 more transfer coming that's not Bradford which is expected.

wh

Quote from: mj on April 05, 2019, 06:49:47 PM

You nailed it, mj; it's all about hate. You're an amazingly perceptive person.

mj

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2019, 07:15:03 PMYou nailed it, mj; it's all about hate. You're an amazingly perceptive person.

Gotta thank my Valpo education for that.

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2019, 06:08:07 PMIt's perfectly natural to think differently about a player after they quit the team. And by the way, these aren't "kids."  They're all 18-22 year old adults. If they were working instead of attending college, they would be nothing more than immature, spoiled young employees who think far more of themselves and their contributions to the workplace than they should. The boss doesn't appreciate them, management is stupid, blah, blah, blah. So they start job hopping until they finally come to the realization that maybe they didn't have it as bad as they thought, and need to let some air out of their inflated egos.

Excellent rebuttal.  :thumbsup: We invested time, energy and financial resources in these guys and our payback is embarrassing. If Lottich or LaBarbera walked away from any conversations and exit interviews feeling snowed or deceived then I will excuse them in advance for whatever their responses.

Meanwhile we still need a new AD and coach. Lottich couldn't see this coming and LaBarbera couldn't or can't recognize that operating with blind spots never works.

wh

Had these players all stayed, we would be replacing 1 player this year and 6 next (nearly half the team). Instead, we're replacing 5 this year and 2 next. It's basically a wash.

Moreover, had the current group stayed in tact, I have little faith that next year would turn out much differently than the last 2, given the negativity and hard feelings exhibited by certain players. Instead, we have an opportunity to rebuild now around 3 very good veteran players, and what will hopefully be a gifted freshman. This whole development could very well get this program back on track sooner than it otherwise would have.

NativeCheesehead

Sure, we may just push up our rebuild a year, but if the underlying issues aren't addressed what's to prevent it from happening again?

And do we have faith in this coaching staff to develop and integrate the guys they do bring in.

Just Sayin

You can put lipstick and a pretty dress on a pig but it's still a pig.

M

We will probably be replacing more then 2 next year. Gotta believe at least one of these incoming players will be a senior grad transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2019, 07:15:03 PM

It must be hard living living in the world when you generalize and hate all 18-22 year olds. Two points: (1) you are wrong about your generalization of 18-22 year olds (and I guarantee that I spend more time with them than you do), (2) I really hope that you are not in any job in which you manage or work with 18-22 year olds.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 06, 2019, 07:52:31 AM
Quote from: wh on April 05, 2019, 07:15:03 PM

It must be hard living living in the world when you generalize and hate all 18-22 year olds. Two points: (1) you are wrong about your generalization of 18-22 year olds (and I guarantee that I spend more time with them than you do), (2) I really hope that you are not in any job in which you manage or work with 18-22 year olds.

Amazing how easily my response to mj went over your head. mj, in his usual effort to discredit the author of a contrary opinion, labeled me a hater because I dared to hold the players accountable for their own actions, which flew in the face of the all too predictable "its all someone else's fault (in this case Lottich's) blame shifting that's so in vogue in today's me-centered culture. Rather than defend myself against such nonsense, I simply used sarcasm.
Does that help?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2019, 07:02:18 AM
Sure, we may just push up our rebuild a year, but if the underlying issues aren't addressed what's to prevent it from happening again?

And do we have faith in this coaching staff to develop and integrate the guys they do bring in.

Bingo

mj

Quote from: wh on April 06, 2019, 08:46:05 AMI dared to hold the players accountable for their own actions, which flew in the face of the all too predictable "its all someone else's fault (in this case Lottich's) blame shifting that's so in vogue in today's me-centered culture.

IIRC, Lottich is a prime example of a "blame shifter." Team was tired, team traveled too much, team had laundry to do, blah, blah, blah.

Also, I'm not sure how bashing players online, after they leave, is holding them "accountable."