• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2019, 07:02:18 AM
Sure, we may just push up our rebuild a year, but if the underlying issues aren't addressed what's to prevent it from happening again?

And do we have faith in this coaching staff to develop and integrate the guys they do bring in.

A fair question.  I would answer it this way.  If the coaching staff does successfully integrate the guys they bring in, and if that integration translates into a successful season, then that says a lot about the players who left.  Conversely, if they don't successfully integrate the guys they bring in, and suffer through a third consecutive frustrating, underachieving season, then that says a lot about Matt Lottich and staff.  That's also the way I would put it to Matt if I were his boss - "You're telling me the guys who left had attitude problems and weren't coachable. Ok, next year is the final year of your 3-year contract.  I think it's only fair to give you another year to turn the program around with a roster chocked full of players that you and your staff personally recruited.  Here are my expectations for that year...  Good luck."       

VUGrad1314

Apparently he's got two years left according to Osipoff

usc4valpo

The problem with Valpo athletics is that mediocrity gets rewarded by the folks in leather chairs with furniture with mahogany smell. I want to be excellent, not competitive with near 500 records. To do that, there needs to be a plan and some calculated risk.

I really believe the university does not want to succeed in athletics, which is a shame.

GoldenCrusader87

I'd say this along with what was said if I'm MLB:

You do one of the following in order to keep your job:

1. Win the regular season
2. Win the MVC tournament
3. Get into the NCAA tournament
4. Get an NIT birth.
5. Win 25+ games

NativeCheesehead

I think it all depends on the contract length. We do not buy out contracts. If it's a five year deal he'll be here at least two more years.

crusader05

also, if we're still trying to decode random student athletes tweets this one was just retweeted by Stallings

https://twitter.com/scubasmitty/status/1114142451562950656

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 07, 2019, 10:28:27 AM
I think it all depends on the contract length. We do not buy out contracts. If it's a five year deal he'll be here at least two more years.

So Carlson's contract just happened to end after the Butler debacle? Or did his contract say that the contract would end if he lost by 70 to anybody?  :rotfl:

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on April 07, 2019, 11:22:23 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 07, 2019, 10:28:27 AM

So Carlson's contract just happened to end after the Butler debacle? Or did his contract say that the contract would end if he lost by 70 to anybody?  :rotfl:

Honestly as someone at that game his contract should have ended at half time.

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 07, 2019, 10:04:02 AMI'd say this along with what was said if I'm MLB: You do one of the following in order to keep your job: 1. Win the regular season 2. Win the MVC tournament 3. Get into the NCAA tournament 4. Get an NIT birth. 5. Win 25+ games
There probably isn't a coach in the country who could meet any of these requirements. You really think any of these is a reasonable expectation for next season?

valpolaw

The sad part is that those used to be reasonable expectations at valpo

usc4valpo

Carlson should have been let go after 2 years, and no more than 3. I think he had a 5 year contract.

JD24

Quote from: valpolaw on April 07, 2019, 12:57:31 PMThe sad part is that those used to be reasonable expectations at valpo
So after 2009-10 your reasonable expectation was amongst the listing presented? There is a sense of entitlement with this program which is far from earned.

usc4valpo

I think a goal for consistent excellence is good. At this stage, I hate to say that the Saders have a long road ahead.
I'm worried about the Tom Smith era coming back.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on April 07, 2019, 01:05:33 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on April 07, 2019, 12:57:31 PMThe sad part is that those used to be reasonable expectations at valpo
So after 2009-10 your reasonable expectation was amongst the listing presented? There is a sense of entitlement with this program which is far from earned.

Fine how about this, can we please at least not be a punching bag in EVERY SPORT including our flagship sport that got us into this great conference? Can we at least bring SOMETHING to the table on a consistent basis? If that's entitled then there's a problem. Right now we have one sport (Women's Volleyball) that performed anywhere near acceptability (maybe the soccer programs I can't remember their records off hand). We are not adding much to the MVC right now and fans on all sides are rightly getting annoyed. It's not entitlement to expect that your team finish in at least the top 4-6 of every sport and occasionally compete for and bring home a conference title while consistently adding value in the flagship sport. We are doing none of that right now. Yes I understand it's year two but in this "what have you done for me" world leashes with fanbases are incredibly short. We need to improve a bunch and in a hurry.

Valpo2013

Isn't it obvious we don't belong in this conference?
We don't have the resources or support from the administration and we certainly don't have the facilities
I yearn for the Horizon League days

VUGrad1314

Yes yearn for the days of playing in half empty gyms against apathetic fan bases who didn't travel and against irrelevant teams who got no coverage in their hometowns.

Yearn for the days of 5 win programs rolling into the ARC on a consistent basis.

Yearn for the days of one and done tournament money.

Yearn for the days of getting screwed out of an at large because our conference sucks.

If you want a program that is content to beat up on the little sisters of the poor that's fine but that's not what I signed up for and that's not the program I root for. If that's what our administration and leadership wants you can expect me to get very strident with my calls for their ouster both on this board and at events. There will be fire______________signs if necessary.

That statement is exactly what the administration and the board wants to hear. It's the same low ambition big fish in a small pond that gets teams nowhere (Don't even try me with the Gonzaga example. That's a program that should have multiple championships by now but they don't because their tomato can conference doesn't prepare them for teams with size and length who can defend and they can't recruit the athletes necessary to beat those teams because coaches use how crappy the WCC is against Gonzaga in recruiting.)

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2019, 01:51:39 PMYes yearn for the days of playing in half empty gyms against apathetic fan bases who didn't travel and against irrelevant teams who got no coverage in their hometowns. Yearn for the days of 5 win programs rolling into the ARC on a consistent basis. Yearn for the days of one and done tournament money. Yearn for the days of getting screwed out of an at large because our conference sucks. If you want a program that is content to beat up on the little sisters of the poor that's fine but that's not what I signed up for and that's not the program I root for. If that's what our administration and leadership wants you can expect me to get very strident with my calls for their ouster both on this board and at events. There will be fire______________signs if necessary. That statement is exactly what the administration and the board wants to hear. It's the same low ambition big fish in a small pond that gets teams nowhere (Don't even try me with the Gonzaga example. That's a program that should have multiple championships by now but they don't because their tomato can conference doesn't prepare them for teams with size and length who can defend and they can't recruit the athletes necessary to beat those teams because coaches use how crappy the WCC is against Gonzaga in recruiting.)
You didn't sign up for anything except, presumably, an education.

JD24

Based on his highlights, the young lad can make a layup.

Avg 4.2 pts and 2.5 reb in about 12 mins per game in Danish League. 1-14 from 3 point land. This was in 2018.

7.8 pts and 3 rebs in 18mins during U18 FIBA.

VUBBFan

Quote from: JD24 on April 07, 2019, 03:02:09 PMBased on his highlights, the young lad can make a layup. Avg 4.2 pts and 2.5 reb in about 12 mins per game. 1-14 from 3 point land.

Which some of our former 7 footers had trouble with at times.

wh

I like that we're bringing in an inexperienced big to develop and hopefully contribute down the road. That said, we still need at least 1 true center and 1 athletic PF that like to mix it up inside on both ends to round out next year's rotation.

GoldenCrusader87

Here's what I said:

"I'd say this along with what was said if I'm MLB: You do one of the following in order to keep your job: 1. Win the regular season 2. Win the MVC tournament 3. Get into the NCAA tournament 4. Get an NIT birth. 5. Win 25+ games"

I'm still trying to make sense of this comment:

"There probably isn't a coach in the country who could meet any of these requirements. You really think any of these is a reasonable expectation for next season?"

Seriously?????????

No coach in the country could do ONE of the following????

1. Win the regular season
2. Win the MVC tournament
3. Get into the NCAA tournament
4. Get an NIT birth.
5. Win 25+ games

Are you implying no coach in the country could come into Valpo and do ONE of these things???

How is that possible?

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 07, 2019, 04:22:05 PMHere's what I said: "I'd say this along with what was said if I'm MLB: You do one of the following in order to keep your job: 1. Win the regular season 2. Win the MVC tournament 3. Get into the NCAA tournament 4. Get an NIT birth. 5. Win 25+ games" I'm still trying to make sense of this comment: "There probably isn't a coach in the country who could meet any of these requirements. You really think any of these is a reasonable expectation for next season?" Seriously????????? No coach in the country could do ONE of the following???? 1. Win the regular season 2. Win the MVC tournament 3. Get into the NCAA tournament 4. Get an NIT birth. 5. Win 25+ games Are you implying no coach in the country could come into Valpo and do ONE of these things??? How is that possible?
Next season no.