• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

valpopal

Barret Benson making a visit to SIU today:

[tweet]1121834412138815488[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on April 25, 2019, 12:31:30 PM
The landing of Zion is a good and hopeful sign. But let's be clear, there are no excuses left for Lottich. This is now entirely his roster. NCAA tourney or bust next year. Win and win now, or make a change before we are fully dragged into the muck of long-term mediocrity.

From worst to 1st in 1 year?  Sounds like a good stretch goal, but not an either/or else ultimatum.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 26, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

Seeing how quickly open spots have been filled, its fairly obvious that Lottich was planning to clean house at the end of the season.  Out with the malcontents and guys recruited for the Horizon League and in with some MVC level talent.

We're the spots filled that quickly? I seem to remember that several posters here we're getting impatient that there were still spots open and Lottich was not announcing anything. I think it might have been that announcements, once they were made, came quickly but I don't think the spots were filled that quickly.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on April 27, 2019, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on April 26, 2019, 09:24:02 AMSeeing how quickly open spots have been filled, its fairly obvious that Lottich was planning to clean house at the end of the season.  Out with the malcontents and guys recruited for the Horizon League and in with some MVC level talent.
We're the spots filled that quickly? I seem to remember that several posters here we're getting impatient that there were still spots open and Lottich was not announcing anything. I think it might have been that announcements, once they were made, came quickly but I don't think the spots were filled that quickly.
I wouldn't use this board of a barometer of patience.

To me, it appeared the slots were filled fairly quickly. I thought it obvious that some preliminary work was done which would tie in to the original point about Lottich preparing for an exodus of some sort.

VU2014

Assuming Micah is likely no longer with the program it frees up another scholarship. That leaves 2 scholarships. What type of player would you guys like the staff to pursue with these scholarships?

My opinion:
I'm holding out hope that Jay returns and offers VU an experienced defensive minded big man and frees up a scholarship for the 2020 class. For the final scholarship I'd like us to pursue a high impact red-shirt transfer or hold onto the scholarship for a high impact mid-season transfer. What do you guys think? The only glaring hole I see is the Center position right now. I think we need to let Sackey and Siggy get the chunk of the minutes at PG and we could play Zion at the 1 in a pinch but he'll most likely play the 2. We're pretty set in the backcourt.

Roster: (no particular order of the depth chart)
1: Sackey (So), Siggy (Fr)
2: Gordon (Jr), Z Morgan (Jr), Stalling (WO So)
3: Fazekas (Sr), Robinson ((Jr) can defend multiple positions & play with multiple lineups), Clay Donovan (Fr)
4: Mileek (Jr), Krikke (Fr), Kiser ((Sr) is more of a SF but Lottich has been forced to play him at PF in the past)
5: Freese-Vilien (Fr)

edited: added Clay Donovan

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on April 28, 2019, 02:34:13 PM
Assuming Micah is likely no longer with the program it frees up another scholarship. That leaves 2 scholarships. What type of player would you guys like the staff to pursue with these scholarships?

My opinion:
I'm holding out hope that Jay returns and offers VU an experienced defensive minded big man and frees up a scholarship for the 2020 class. For the final scholarship I'd like us to pursue a high impact red-shirt transfer or hold onto the scholarship for a high impact mid-season transfer. What do you guys think? The only glaring hole I see is the Center position right now. I think we need to like Sackey and Siggy get the chunk of the minutes at PG and we could play Zion at the 1 in a pinch but he'll most likely play the 2. We're pretty set in the backcourt.

3: Fazekas (Sr), Robinson ((Jr) can defend multiple positions & play with multiple lineups)
4: Mileek (Jr), Krikke (Fr), Kiser ((Sr) is more of a SF but Lottich has been forced to play him at PF in the past)

Unless we find a quality big (no project) like the Northwestern kid or even Skogman, Matt will hold it for the right fit, probably at mid-season.  There are still hundreds of kids who haven't found a home.  Right now the total transfer list is at 731 and I would guess at least half are homeless.  Failing a good big, I would think Matt has to go with Mileek at the 5 coupled with the freshman.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on April 28, 2019, 02:50:04 PM

My opinion:
I'm holding out hope that Jay returns and offers VU an experienced defensive minded big man and frees up a scholarship for the 2020 class. For the final scholarship I'd like us to pursue a high impact red-shirt transfer or hold onto the scholarship for a high impact mid-season transfer. What do you guys think? The only glaring hole I see is the Center position right now. I think we need to like Sackey and Siggy get the chunk of the minutes at PG and we could play Zion at the 1 in a pinch but he'll most likely play the 2. We're pretty set in the backcourt.

3: Fazekas (Sr), Robinson ((Jr) can defend multiple positions & play with multiple lineups)

Unless we find a quality big (no project) like the Northwestern kid or even Skogman, Matt will hold it for the right fit, probably at mid-season.  There are still hundreds of kids who haven't found a home.  Right now the total transfer list is at 731 and I would guess at least half are homeless.  Failing a good big, I would think Matt has to go with Mileek at the 5 coupled with the freshman.

Mileek at the 5 isn't a good solution, imo. He should probably should only be defending the 5 when in a pinch. Interestingly Lottich has said that Krikke could be played as undersized 5 in some of his comments. I just don't like relying so heavily on these freshman bigs as much as we might need to. McMillan badly needs to take the next step in his development. He can't foul guys like he has in the past. Maybe he takes that next step this offseason. I really think the best solution is holding out hope Sorolla doesn't leave. There aren't many quality grad-transfer bigs on the market and competition for them is very high. even high major programs are recruiting many of these lackluster grad-transfer big men because there aren't many big bodies out there.

humbleopinion

My opinion:
I'm holding out hope that Jay returns and offers VU an experienced defensive minded big man and frees up a scholarship for the 2020 class. For the final scholarship I'd like us to pursue a high impact red-shirt transfer or hold onto the scholarship for a high impact mid-season transfer. What do you guys think? The only glaring hole I see is the Center position right now. I think we need to let Sackey and Siggy get the chunk of the minutes at PG and we could play Zion at the 1 in a pinch but he'll most likely play the 2. We're pretty set in the backcourt.

I don't see Clay listed.  If he is indeed a Javonn with more size, that puts all sorts of depth at the 3/4 position.

As I've mentioned before, I believe that Mileek can play the 4 without getting into foul trouble but not the 5.  Finding someone 6'10" or taller who can defend a center is the glaring need.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 28, 2019, 03:24:24 PM

My opinion:

I don't see Clay listed.  If he is indeed a Javonn with more size, that puts all sorts of depth at the 3/4 position.

As I've mentioned before, I believe that Mileek can play the 4 without getting into foul trouble but not the 5.  Finding someone 6'10" or taller who can defend a center is the glaring need.

Just added Clay to my original post. If Clay has much of a impact as Javon had his freshman season it would be a huge plus. Is Donovan as polished as Javon was coming out high school?

humbleopinion

Donovan Clay was Class 4A all-state pick.  He is supposed to be a great sign. Max preps has him ranked 198 nationally and 10 in Illinois.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 28, 2019, 03:57:47 PM
Donovan Clay was Class 4A all-state pick.  He is supposed to be a great sign. Max preps has him ranked 198 nationally and 10 in Illinois.

Many of those rankings seem to be based on future potential. It sounds like he has a bright future and was a nice recruiting get but is he ready to immediately make an impact? I just don't think we can hold him to the same standard as what Javon brought to the table last season. It's pretty rare for a freshman to be as impact from the get-go as Javon was. Hopefully he can be, but I just tend to have low expectations from freshman even if I think they can be pretty good players one day.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on April 28, 2019, 02:59:22 PMMileek at the 5 isn't a good solution, imo

Totally agree but, we may not have a very good option.  Remember that at the beginning of last season Matt saw enough from Mileek to start him over Jay and that Butler kid. Given as you have said, how difficult it will be to find a big at this point, we need to be very grateful for Matt's recruiting chops if in fact they can land one.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AlecPeters101

I'm annoyed with people continuing to have high hopes for mileek this upcoming season. The only reason people do that is because there's been some rumors that he has the highest ceiling by chef imo. He is literally the worst player on this team. He cant even stay in the game, he does absolutely nothing. Why people put that fact aside and continue to act like he will produce is beyond me. I'd throw a party if he transferred. There is no reason to believe he will magically turn from the worst player to a stud in the next two years. He is another bust by lottich. Our 4 and 5 spots are the biggest issue by far. If we don't find a PF or center before next season, we will struggle big time.

M

I'm annoyed that the only thing you've brought the table here in 26ish months is 12 posts of complaining.

NativeCheesehead

Mileek could be a very good contributor on this team....IF he learned how to play without fouling. That hasn't happened yet.

valpolaw

Mileek has shown potential. I recall a few games where he was doing really well when he stayed out of foul trouble. Unfortunately, it hasn't been often that he's stayed out of foul trouble.

nkvu

Mileek couldn't guard without fouling his first two years, but he showed some ability to step out and hit the three.  Vashil couldn't touch the ball without turning it over his first two years but he showed some ability to block shots. In year three, Vashil learned to at least hang on to the ball. Maybe Mileek will learn to defend a bit without fouling in year three. If he does we might have something. If he doesn't and we don't add a defensive minded 5 we will struggle.

VU2014

Quote from: nkvu on April 28, 2019, 10:14:50 PM
Mileek couldn't guard without fouling his first two years, but he showed some ability to step out and hit the three.  Vashil couldn't touch the ball without turning it over his first two years but he showed some ability to block shots. In year three, Vashil learned to at least hang on to the ball. Maybe Mileek will learn to defend a bit without fouling in year three. If he does we might have something. If he doesn't and we don't add a defensive minded 5 we will struggle.

Well said NKVU. I'm not giving up on Mileek. It's not uncommon for guys to turn the corner their Junior year. He definitely has shown the potential. To say he hasn't shown any potential is dumb. It really just comes down to not fouling as much as he has his first two seasons

vuny98

Quote from: VU2014 on April 28, 2019, 10:33:37 PM
Quote from: nkvu on April 28, 2019, 10:14:50 PMMileek couldn't guard without fouling his first two years, but he showed some ability to step out and hit the three.  Vashil couldn't touch the ball without turning it over his first two years but he showed some ability to block shots. In year three, Vashil learned to at least hang on to the ball. Maybe Mileek will learn to defend a bit without fouling in year three. If he does we might have something. If he doesn't and we don't add a defensive minded 5 we will struggle.
Well said NKVU. I'm not giving up on Mileek. It's not uncommon for guys to turn the corner their Junior year. He definitely has shown the potential. To say he hasn't shown any potential is dumb. It really just comes down to not fouling as much as he has his first two seasons

Vashil was a freakish athlete with very little experience playing basketball growing up. Mileek is a big body, with a decent shot that one would have to assume has played basketball most of his life. I hope he makes some strides, but expecting to do what Vashil did or even comparing them is a bit of a stretch. Mileek is a good role player that may shine here or there in games, but I don't expect him to be a key piece of the puzzle.

valpo64

There have been many good D-1 teams that play successfully without a big/5 guy. There is no reason we cannot do the same without Mileek playing in the middle.

bbtds

Quote from: AlecPeters101 on April 28, 2019, 09:04:34 PM
I'm annoyed with people continuing to have high hopes for mileek this upcoming season. The only reason people do that is because there's been some rumors that he has the highest ceiling by chef imo. He is literally the worst player on this team. He cant even stay in the game, he does absolutely nothing. Why people put that fact aside and continue to act like he will produce is beyond me. I'd throw a party if he transferred. There is no reason to believe he will magically turn from the worst player to a stud in the next two years. He is another bust by lottich. Our 4 and 5 spots are the biggest issue by far. If we don't find a PF or center before next season, we will struggle big time.

I think your chef tank is mileeking. I believe McMillan has a foul problem but if he can cure that he will be an explosive guy who can turn games with unexpected production.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 29, 2019, 11:13:33 AM
Quote from: AlecPeters101 on April 28, 2019, 09:04:34 PM

I think your chef tank is mileeking. I believe McMillan has a foul problem but if he can cure that he will be an explosive guy who can turn games with unexpected production.

The problem is evidence doesn't show that he has a better handle on how to stay out of foul trouble at the end of year-2 than he did at the beginning of year-1. 

M

Neither did Vashil....Mileek was also playing a different position for much of year 2 which probably didn't help.

AlecPeters101

Sorry, I don't post a lot. So when I do it tends to be something that gets on my nerves. That's the only thing that motivates me to post. Besides, isn't that what a forum is for? I obviously hit a soft spot for mileek.

valpopal

Barret Benson has committed to Southern Illinois.