• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 16, 2019, 07:43:55 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2019, 06:09:21 PM
One of my favorite student-athletes in a long time. Exciting, a great kid and played his heart out every time.

Sad to see him go but I'm rooting for him.

https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129007483706576897?s=21
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1129053101313413120?s=21

Gone because he's accepted a scholarship elsewhere?

OR

Gone because we aren't allowing him back? (Don't think it's this one, but I'm unsure)

Heard he could be PAC12 bound. Closer to home and a P5 stage.

VU2014

Just a wild thought that I'm going to throw out there is what if Valpo pursued Isaiah Brock (former OU PF/C)? Uber athletic, good rebounder, great shot blocker, tendency to foul. He was playing at the D2 level last I heard, but man would he fit on this roster. Also love the back story of being mature and a military veteran. I think he'd have one year of eligibility left. I don't think he's in the transfer portal but that is the type of guy I'd love to see land at Valpo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y27jB_a7Pdc

cornonthe

One of my favorite student-athletes in a long time. Exciting, a great kid and played his heart out every time.

OR

Gone because we aren't allowing him back? (Don't think it's this one, but I'm unsure)
Gone because he graduated...where he winds up is secondary...

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2019, 08:07:28 PMHeard he could be PAC12 bound. Closer to home and a P5 stage.

After the ankle injury Marcus looked more like a Horizon League player than one that could play PAC12. If he suddenly leaps to the big stage and delivers then somebody really needs to answer some basic questions about his injury, recovery, and maybe his attitude  ???. Nothing about his late season play made much sense if he was at full strength as he contended.

I am very close to adding Golder to my bad memory list unless someone can flesh out the mitigating factors for his decline. Somebody should step up and defend him if I am getting something wrong.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on May 16, 2019, 09:11:06 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2019, 08:07:28 PMHeard he could be PAC12 bound. Closer to home and a P5 stage.

After the ankle injury Marcus looked more like a Horizon League player than one that could play PAC12. If he suddenly leaps to the big stage and delivers then somebody really needs to answer some basic questions about his injury, recovery, and maybe his attitude  ???. Nothing about his late season play made much sense if he was at full strength as he contended.

I am very close to adding Golder to my bad memory list unless someone can flesh out the mitigating factors for his decline. Somebody should step up and defend him if I am getting something wrong.

Golder's ankle wasn't right for most of the latter half of the season. Just because people say they are healthy doesn't mean they really are. He gutted through injuries when he probably should have rested the ankle. If you remember Golder went down with the injury and they rested him and he came back too early and tweaked it again if I remember correctly

bbtds

I really think the true answer for Markus is in the phrase "has trouble playing with others." How many fast breaks do you remember that you muttered the words "Pass the ball, Markus!"
Unfortunately that attitude of not trusting your teammates is part of Markus' me-first generation but can't happen on a basketball court on a team trying to win conference tourney games.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on May 17, 2019, 04:33:38 AM
I really think the true answer for Markus is in the phrase "has trouble playing with others." How many fast breaks do you remember that you muttered the words "Pass the ball, Markus!"
Unfortunately that attitude of not trusting your teammates is part of Markus' me-first generation but can't happen on a basketball court on a team trying to win conference tourney games.

I also have that nagging feeling that he wasn't going to be the teammate that VU needed with last years roster.  He might be a good person, I'll never know.

As much as I liked his fire and athleticism, he was regressing.  Maybe his ceiling was achieved in Year 1.  We cannot forget he was not injured for the first 65% of the season.

His ability to dribble and shoot is not PAC12 and was 50% percentile in MVC.

But man alive he could energize with his dunks!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 17, 2019, 06:18:31 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 17, 2019, 04:33:38 AM

I also have that nagging feeling that he wasn't going to be the teammate that VU needed with last years roster.  He might be a good person, I'll never know.

As much as I liked his fire and athleticism, he was regressing.  Maybe his ceiling was achieved in Year 1.  We cannot forget he was not injured for the first 65% of the season.

His ability to dribble and shoot is not PAC12 and was 50% percentile in MVC.

But man alive he could energize with his dunks!!!

29% from three point
43% FG which is decent

Had something like 0.65 A/TO

Rebounding will def be missed, between Smits/Lavender/Golder we lose around 15 rpg

vuny98

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 17, 2019, 06:24:16 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 17, 2019, 06:18:31 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 17, 2019, 04:33:38 AMI really think the true answer for Markus is in the phrase "has trouble playing with others." How many fast breaks do you remember that you muttered the words "Pass the ball, Markus!" Unfortunately that attitude of not trusting your teammates is part of Markus' me-first generation but can't happen on a basketball court on a team trying to win conference tourney games.
I also have that nagging feeling that he wasn't going to be the teammate that VU needed with last years roster.  He might be a good person, I'll never know. As much as I liked his fire and athleticism, he was regressing.  Maybe his ceiling was achieved in Year 1.  We cannot forget he was not injured for the first 65% of the season. His ability to dribble and shoot is not PAC12 and was 50% percentile in MVC. But man alive he could energize with his dunks!!!
29% from three point 43% FG which is decent Had something like 0.65 A/TO Rebounding will def be missed, between Smits/Lavender/Golder we lose around 15 rpg

The main issue in my mind is we needed him to be "the guy" last year and that's not the role he plays best. He is high energy, plays well in transition, but not a take over the game, create is own shot in half court set type of player. Especially when our go to move was throw the ball into the post and wait around to see what happens. That takes Golder out of his game and rhythm. A different team dynamic/no injury and Golder could have shined again liked we expected him to. Just didn't pan out that way. I'll forgive the end of year decline because the team was a mess and he was not 100%, so can't put that all on him.

usc4valpo

He is not at the Conference of Champions level as a starter.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 17, 2019, 11:03:25 AMHe is not at the Conference of Champions level as a starter.
So you're saying he's starter material in the Pac-12?

VU2014

I'm a big fan of Markus the person and the player. Is he the perfect player? No, but he's the type of kid you want on your team. He plays hard, brings energy off the bench, good defender, athletic, can shoot well from deep (when he's right), etc. He's probably never going to be the best player on a good team but he's a very valuable bench player/6th man on a good team. I really hope lights it up next season. He's a great kid and an exciting player. He'll be playing pro ball after he finishes school somewhere in europe.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 17, 2019, 07:29:26 PM
I'm a big fan of Markus the person and the player. Is he the perfect player? No, but he's the type of kid you want on your team. He plays hard, brings energy off the bench, good defender, athletic, can shoot well from deep (when he's right), etc. He's probably never going to be the best player on a good team but he's a very valuable bench player/6th man on a good team. I really hope lights it up next season. He's a great kid and an exciting player. He'll be playing pro ball after he finishes school somewhere in europe.

I'm a big fan of players that play for Valpo.  Later Golder.

valpotx

Good luck to him.  I was also in the camp yelling 'pass the damn ball' on fast breaks when he would take it 1 on 2 or 3 with someone else open, and also got tired of his showboating/mouthing off to opponents.  Appreciate his time at Valpo, but this is for the best, in regards to team synergy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Today is graduation.  Presuming that Jaume is going to be walking across the stage (or at least will have earned his diploma), I would have to believe that we would have heard if he plans to stick around.  Perhaps someone closer to the situation knows if he, like other grads, is packing up belongings and vacating his apartment.

My hope at this point is that the coaches have some skilled giant from some far-flung locale who has decent English and has not attracted the attention of the power conferences.
Beamin' Beacons

elephtheria47

I likely missed them but didnt see Smits or sorolla name mentioned in the program. Maybe its only if they're walking?

Edit: found sorolla name mentioned in the graduation program.

wh

OR

Or both.

Just Sayin

What, no unconditional love for the administration, coach and the coaching staff Markus, just UL for the fans and community?

EddieCabot

Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 19, 2019, 12:50:41 PM
I likely missed them but didnt see Smits or sorolla name mentioned in the program. Maybe its only if they're walking?

Edit: found sorolla name mentioned in the graduation program.

I believe reading that Smits had already graduated last December.

VUBBFan

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 19, 2019, 03:02:10 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 19, 2019, 12:50:41 PMI likely missed them but didnt see Smits or sorolla name mentioned in the program. Maybe its only if they're walking? Edit: found sorolla name mentioned in the graduation program.
I believe reading that Smits had already graduated last December.
Yes, he did graduate in December and has been in post grad classes since then.

elephtheria47

Bakari was the only one who walked today, sorolla and markus didnt show up but were listed to have graduated. Glad these young men earned their valpo diploma.

VUBBFan

Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 19, 2019, 05:58:45 PMBakari was the only one who walked today, sorolla and markus didnt show up but were listed to have graduated. Glad these young men earned their valpo diploma.
One other.
https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/1130252876071153665

EddieCabot

I'm still holding out hope that Sorrolla reconsiders and comes back next season.  The grad transfer market for big guys is drying up quickly.  I hope the staff have contacted Eric Hamilton (UNCG) or Kelvin Jones (Idaho St.), as both look like they would be good additions.

VUBBFan

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 20, 2019, 12:58:28 PMI'm still holding out hope that Sorrolla reconsiders and comes back next season.  The grad transfer market for big guys is drying up quickly.  I hope the staff have contacted Eric Hamilton (UNCG) or Kelvin Jones (Idaho St.), as both look like they would be good additions.
Looking at Kelvin Jones there may be an attitude problem either with him or his father towards coaching staffs in his career (maybe not IDK).
The one transfer I think looks good for Valpo is 6'10" Sylvester Ogbonda from Georgia Tech. Seems to be of good high character. Don't know anything, but on paper looks like a good fit. Have not hear if Valpo has contacted or is interested in him.

tiny707

Yes, VUBBFan Sylvester Ogbonda is who we need. Hope coaches are on this one!