• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

bbtds

Quote from: truth219 on March 08, 2019, 02:32:40 PM
Luckily nobody on this team is irreplaceable. We have no stars...we don't even have a fan favorite...maybe John kiaser. I love Valpo but i find it hard to support this coach and most of the players....i just want to see improvements. I want to see development. I want to see plays getting ran successfully. If our current roster returns minus Dion and we develope like we have..i see us in the lower half of the conference next season.

There you go. Lottich somehow didn't let that happen and yet was chastised for it. I know we have a big unknown team going into next season but the possibilities are so much better.

valpolaw

Don't we play Nevada next year? Would find it pretty funny if he went there and lost to valpo.

M

He's a below average rebounder, way below average on offense, decent man to man defender, not a good help defender. I'd welcome him on the opponents team.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpolaw on May 21, 2019, 07:15:22 PMDon't we play Nevada next year? Would find it pretty funny if he went there and lost to valpo.

Possibility we could play Cincinnati at the paradise jam tournament.

EddieCabot

Quote from: M on May 21, 2019, 07:56:44 PM
He's a below average rebounder, way below average on offense, decent man to man defender, not a good help defender. I'd welcome him on the opponents team.

Oren stated on Twitter that a return to Valpo is still a possibility ... comments like this make me wonder if that's a positive or a negative?

M

His experience would be a positive...I'm no expert just call it how I see it. He is good vs his man, but he did not deter teams from attacking the paint. Always was a step slow on help defense and when that guy did miss his man was left to get an offensive rebound (maybe not entirely his fault)....if he leaves no biggie if he stays that's fine too (it's only a year and we could use his 5 fouls at that position).

vu72

Right now I'd take him to give our freshman big some time to develop.  I would hope Matt et al are out looking hard for a replacement.  I would like nothing more than J deciding to come back only to find the spot filled.  Right now we are a backup plan and that doesn't sit well with me.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

I still believe if Derrik and Jaume had gone to different schools and was each's primary C for 4 years, Jay would have had a much better and more well rounded career, all else being equal.

VUBBFan

Well this one we won't get. I really would have liked him at Valpo. Don't know if we had a chance or interest. On to the next prospect.

https://twitter.com/iaresylvester/status/1131263293656580096

FWalum

I think that if Sorolla came back to VU and was healthy for the entire season we would see a big improvement to his overall game.  Remember that he had a severe ankle injury at the start of the season which obviously hampered his game for quite some time when he came back.  I didn't think he looked right until the last third of the conference season when Smits started having the back issue and Jay played a lot more. Really feel that his offensive game would improve as the main 5.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Why would those two schools be excited about someone that averaged 4 ppg and a few rebounds each game at Valpo?  He would be a backup or third string big man.  He is best going to another true mid-major, or staying at Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on May 22, 2019, 09:55:24 PM
Why would those two schools be excited about someone that averaged 4 ppg and a few rebounds each game at Valpo?  He would be a backup or third string big man.  He is best going to another true mid-major, or staying at Valpo.

You can't teach size. He's a one year commitment not tying up scholarships and there is room for the upside if he remains healthy.

The transfer market for big men is very thin and that's why all schools are willing to "reach" for players they might not normally recruit as guys coming out of HS.

vuny98

Quote from: VU2014 on May 23, 2019, 07:16:50 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 22, 2019, 09:55:24 PMWhy would those two schools be excited about someone that averaged 4 ppg and a few rebounds each game at Valpo?  He would be a backup or third string big man.  He is best going to another true mid-major, or staying at Valpo.
You can't teach size. He's a one year commitment not tying up scholarships and there is room for the upside if he remains healthy. The transfer market for big men is very thin and that's why all schools are willing to "reach" for players they might not normally recruit as guys coming out of HS.

Any one looking to have Sorolla on their team, us included, is not looking for scoring, but rather a big body in the middle that can play defense. Any points you get out of him is a bonus.

wh

Quote from: vuny98 on May 23, 2019, 08:43:20 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 22, 2019, 09:55:24 PMWhy would those two schools be excited about someone that averaged 4 ppg and a few rebounds each game at Valpo?  He would be a backup or third string big man.  He is best going to another true mid-major, or staying at Valpo.
You can't teach size. He's a one year commitment not tying up scholarships and there is room for the upside if he remains healthy. The transfer market for big men is very thin and that's why all schools are willing to "reach" for players they might not normally recruit as guys coming out of HS.

Any one looking to have Sorolla on their team, us included, is not looking for scoring, but rather a big body in the middle that can play defense. Any points you get out of him is a bonus.

Is it really too much to ask that we find someone who can make an uncontested layup, score off an offensive rebound instead of cowering with the ball directly under the basket before throwing it to someone 25 feet away, and take up a little space on defense? 

vuny98

Quote from: wh on May 23, 2019, 10:38:47 AM
Quote from: vuny98 on May 23, 2019, 08:43:20 AM
Is it really too much to ask that we find someone who can make an uncontested layup, score off an offensive rebound instead of cowering with the ball directly under the basket before throwing it to someone 25 feet away, and take up a little space on defense?

That's crazy talk. Get your fantasy land dreams off this message board.

humbleopinion

I suppose that Jethro heard that we have a scholarship open. Could there be any other explanation for him transfering?  ;)

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa-mbiya
Beamin' Beacons

VUBBFan

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 24, 2019, 03:19:34 PMI suppose that Jethro heard that we have a scholarship open. Could there be any other explanation for him transfering?  ;) http://verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa-mbiya

This would be a dream come true get. We all dream don't we and Disney says dreams do come true.

wh

The longer this open season on transfers continues, the more desperate transferees are going to be to find a new home. For one thing, some number of vacancies are being filled by high school recruits (think about the 3 we signed), others by JC players, and yet others will remain unfilled. This creates a game of musical chairs for the original transfer pool, with extra chairs being pulled all along the way. The end result is a lot of players who originally announced their intent to transfer are not going to find a place to land.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 24, 2019, 04:56:04 PM

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 24, 2019, 03:19:34 PMI suppose that Jethro heard that we have a scholarship open. Could there be any other explanation for him transfering?  ;) http://verbalcommits.com/players/jethro-tshisumpa-mbiya

This would be a dream come true get. We all dream don't we and Disney says dreams do come true.

Great shot blocker, but he wasn't a good rebounder at Arizona State, and then was on an awful defensive rebounding team last year in Mississippi State and didn't play a single minute.  Honestly I think Sorolla would be a better option as a big, but not sure how likely it is that he might come back.

humbleopinion

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 25, 2019, 01:55:44 PMand then was on an awful defensive rebounding team last year in Mississippi State and didn't play a single minute. 

Do you have any more information on that? How a player could go from being a 4-star recruit ranked the #3 center by Rivals to being glued to the bench for an entire season is a mystery. I didn't see any articles explaining it.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 25, 2019, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: IrishDawg on May 25, 2019, 01:55:44 PMand then was on an awful defensive rebounding team last year in Mississippi State and didn't play a single minute.

Do you have any more information on that? How a player could go from being a 4-star recruit ranked the #3 center by Rivals to being glued to the bench for an entire season is a mystery. I didn't see any articles explaining it.

Looks to me like he redshirted last season. It appears he is a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

IrishDawg

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 25, 2019, 04:39:55 PM

Yeah I got nothing, but it is telling that currently the only big coming back is having surgery and will be out until October and Jethro is still leaving with 2 years of eligibility left.  He did just join Twitter though in April, so someone could ask him.  https://twitter.com/j_tshisumpa