• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on May 28, 2019, 05:02:04 PM
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1133491935472017408?s=21

I think some people need to really reevaluate their evaluation of Golder last season. He really gutted through injuries last season. Wishing Markus well and a speedy recovery!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 28, 2019, 06:36:20 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 28, 2019, 05:02:04 PM
https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1133491935472017408?s=21

I think some people need to really reevaluate their evaluation of Golder last season. He really gutted through injuries last season. Wishing Markus well and a speedy recovery!

This is not intended as a slight, but there are two sides to all stories.  Without Valpo is he still at a junior college?  Injuries are unfortunate but how long did he actually play with an injury?  5-7 games....come on, he's an adult.  He better get used to adversity in the real world because playing with an injury hardly makes him a martyr.

Thanks Markus, but adios.  These drama queens...

Valpower

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 28, 2019, 07:30:36 PM

This is not intended as a slight, but there are two sides to all stories.  Without Valpo is he still at a junior college?  Injuries are unfortunate but how long did he actually play with an injury?  5-7 games....come on, he's an adult.  He better get used to adversity in the real world because playing with an injury hardly makes him a martyr.

Speaking of drama; in theater, Markus' tweet would be referred to as "breaking the fourth wall" and, sadly, doing so to silence a critic is counterproductive. There are many fan perspectives on his play and calling out the negative ones makes him seem thin-skinned and a touch narcissistic.  Also, and this too is not meant as a slight, but this cliché of "two sides" to a story may be the kind of thinking that makes people (including Markus) defensive rather than reflective.

wh

Golder - I played hurt, and I didn't get credit for it. They call me selfish, but I'm not. Smits - I think I played pretty well today (in a game we got blown out). The guys did a good job of getting me the ball (so I could eat up the clock making my post move). Bakari - I'm being played out of position (which explains why I can't hit a 3 to save my soul). Playing hurt?  Im the one playing hurt! 

Three yards and a cloud of excuses. I'm so ready to see new faces.

SanityLost17

Quote from: Valpower on May 29, 2019, 01:30:43 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 28, 2019, 07:30:36 PM

Speaking of drama; in theater, Markus' tweet would be referred to as "breaking the fourth wall" and, sadly, doing so to silence a critic is counterproductive. There are many fan perspectives on his play and calling out the negative ones makes him seem thin-skinned and a touch narcissistic.  Also, and this too is not meant as a slight, but this cliché of "two sides" to a story may be the kind of thinking that makes people (including Markus) defensive rather than reflective.

Golder was far from a "chucker" or "ball hog" but could be a bit selfish with the ball in key circumstances.  Specifically on fast breaks.  That says nothing about him as a person, just him as a player.  Nobody has called him a selfish person...at least I hope not.  For him to not make that distinction makes me a little sad.    I think 100% of the people on this board liked his personality.  Lottich obviously did too, as he made him the face of the program by sending him to MVC media day.   

M

If he was that injured why didn't he defer to teammates on all those 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 fast breaks instead of almost always taking it himself and messing the play up. Thanks for you efforts, but I won't be attending the pity party.

4throwfan

As an aside, I went to Golder's twitter feed to see if I could see more to the conversation as to who he felt was calling him the most selfish player, and while I didn't see anything on that front, I did see a video that he posted of some guys performing on a commuter train.  It was really kinda cool.  Suggest checking it out.

VUBBFan

Quote from: 4throwfan on May 29, 2019, 09:32:08 AMAs an aside, I went to Golder's twitter feed to see if I could see more to the conversation as to who he felt was calling him the most selfish player, and while I didn't see anything on that front, I did see a video that he posted of some guys performing on a commuter train.  It was really kinda cool.  Suggest checking it out.

I believe he probably got the idea from reading this forum. There certainly were a lot of comments on here saying that.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 29, 2019, 10:28:30 AM

Quote from: 4throwfan on May 29, 2019, 09:32:08 AMAs an aside, I went to Golder's twitter feed to see if I could see more to the conversation as to who he felt was calling him the most selfish player, and while I didn't see anything on that front, I did see a video that he posted of some guys performing on a commuter train.  It was really kinda cool.  Suggest checking it out.

I believe he probably got the idea from reading this forum. There certainly were a lot of comments on here saying that.

The minute you are compensated for _______ is the minute you go professional.  An education is an item with a dollar amount the market pays, I'm not concerned with his feelings.  I don't recall any overly harsh words about Markus.  A little criticism is expected, let this be a lesson or (heck) even a motivator for his next stop!

wh

Javon was 31-0 last year in out working his opponent. Tevonn was about 140-0 in the same category. We could be 20 points up or 20 points down, they never changed in intensity. By the time any game they played in was over, I was surprised they had enough left in the tank to get to the locker room. They seldom talked. They never bragged. Give me 13 Javon/Tevonn's, and Ill gladly live with the results every time.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 29, 2019, 10:28:30 AM

I thought that Markus always played hard and was certainly a fan favorite.  I think he at times tried to do too much or make plays more difficult than they needed to be, but I took that as poor decision making ... not selfishness or bad attitude. 

I wish him the best at his next stop.

4throwfan

I don't recall comments saying that he was "most selfish" as he seems to refer.  That's what I was curious about.  All high-level ballplayers need to be a little selfish, otherwise they're not as aggressive on offense as they need to be.  If the team is completely unselfish, then they all wait for someone else to take the shot.

I'm not sure that Markus was "most selfish".  He might have been a little "too selfish" at times, but not dramatically so.

FWalum

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 29, 2019, 02:39:53 PMI thought that Markus always played hard and was certainly a fan favorite.  I think he at times tried to do too much or make plays more difficult than they needed to be, but I took that as poor decision making ... not selfishness or bad attitude. 

I wish him the best at his next stop.
I concur with EddieCabot, Markus was a player that brought energy to the floor whenever he played.  He was our most athletic player and maybe our best finisher, so in those fastbreak situations I think he was expected to attempt to make those plays and this was not always the best option.  As EddieCabot said, bad decision making much more that than selfishness or attitude. I think that Markus normally had a very good attitude and I wish him well at his next program.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUBBFan

Looks like Bakari has received a lot of interest from several schools.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1133822720880332801

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on May 29, 2019, 03:47:41 PM
Looks like Bakari has received a lot of interest from several schools.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1133822720880332801

If he can get those ankle right he should be a nice role player.

valpolaw

Awwww poor Markus. How dare someone hurt his feelings

If you want to be the man, whether it's in a sport or job, you have to put up with criticism. If he doesn't like it, maybe he should watch from the stands. So tired of coming on here and reading about these guys transferring from valpo. Good luck to them wherever they end up but I won't be paying attention.

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

I think people don't understand that Markus was having some fun with that tweet. And yes he was taking a subtle shot at you guys who thought that he wasn't injured and was just playing poorly. I'm all for it. He is sticking up for himself and having a little fun with it. I wouldn't take it personally. He has a big heart for Valpo and Valpo fans.

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 29, 2019, 06:56:20 PM
I guess we'll know about Sorolla soon.

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1133864473121492993

I know he isn't the perfect player but he is a fit and we definitely could use him and I think Valpo could be good for him as well next season. He'd be getting a big bulk of the minutes.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on May 29, 2019, 08:00:03 PMI think people don't understand that Markus was having some fun with that tweet. And yes he was taking a subtle shot at you guys who thought that he wasn't injured and was just playing poorly.

I get that lying about the severity of injuries is an accepted part of the game. I also get that 10 weeks have passed since season end and nobody put any serious effort into cleaning things up by admitting the obvious. So he helps lure us into suspecting that maybe he was foot dragging and somehow that is supposed to be funny?
That is just about as funny as me calling him Marcus (not Markus) for just one last time.  ;)

I am actually very relieved to know that his injury hadn't properly healed. If he had been playing that badly just to spite the coach, team or program then my memory of him would have been permanently stained.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on May 29, 2019, 06:39:12 AM
Golder - I played hurt, and I didn't get credit for it. They call me selfish, but I'm not. Smits - I think I played pretty well today (in a game we got blown out). The guys did a good job of getting me the ball (so I could eat up the clock making my post move). Bakari - I'm being played out of position (which explains why I can't hit a 3 to save my soul). Playing hurt?  Im the one playing hurt! 

A local media guy agrees with your opinion on the transfers.

[tweet]1114549034465861632[/tweet]

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 30, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: wh on May 29, 2019, 06:39:12 AM

A local media guy agrees with your opinion on the transfers.

[tweet]1114549034465861632[/tweet]

Good reference.  Although I mostly agree with him, the comment about none being NBA material is hardly worth pointing out.  If that were the case then there would be zero need for 99% of the hoopla surrounding recruits and player transferring.  Sounds like he is just being a contrarian.

P.S. Javon Freeman (at the time) leaving was a major black eye for Valpo, because he was fresh off a Top 2 freshman in the MVC type of season.  But of course him leaving was a nothing burger if you think that mid-majors aren't worth following.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 29, 2019, 08:02:59 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on May 29, 2019, 06:56:20 PM
I guess we'll know about Sorolla soon.

https://twitter.com/rwweinstein/status/1133864473121492993

I know he isn't the perfect player but he is a fit and we definitely could use him and I think Valpo could be good for him as well next season. He'd be getting a big bulk of the minutes.

Completely agree VU2014, he is in a sorely needed position for us (5-fouls with size).  That is not meant as snarky, because I don't think he would ever average north of 9 ppg based on his skills around the hoop.  Somehow I feel that despite his injury heading into the non-conference part of the season, that he and Mileek were being oversold to us by ppl (regarding offensive skills and development last summer).

If we can get 10-12 ppg out of the C position this coming season that is a huge win.  I think it will take him coming back for that to happen.  But more than anything, we could easily have gotten 10-12 ppg out of Smits, but how many dunks and layups would we have to give up in order for him to be on the court long enough to establish that many ppg?

I am sure there are metrics for these things (there are metrics for everything), but what would have been Smits +/- for strictly points scored in the paint while he was on the court?  He was the anti-Vashil in sooooo many ways . . .

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 29, 2019, 12:49:03 PM
Javon was 31-0 last year in out working his opponent. Tevonn was about 140-0 in the same category. We could be 20 points up or 20 points down, they never changed in intensity. By the time any game they played in was over, I was surprised they had enough left in the tank to get to the locker room. They seldom talked. They never bragged. Give me 13 Javon/Tevonn's, and Ill gladly live with the results every time.

Great analogy (Javon vs. Tevonn). And I disagree with the media comment that includes Javon as average at best. Great motor, and the talent is there with lots of upside.

But, I would really like to see Sorolla decide to come back. He might play at Nevada because they lost of a ton of talent, but he will be a 8-10 minute per game backup at Cincinnati.

4throwfan

Right now Sorrolla is shopping for something better, and VU presumably is too.  If Sorrolla comes back, then that means that he found nothing better, and neither did VU.

My hope on Sorrolla coming back is purely conditioned on VU not finding someone at least 90% as good.  If we get Sorrolla back, and he is only equal to last year, then VU has lost something because it now has a player no better than before, but also openly doesn't want to be here.  If we get someone 85% as good as Sorrolla, I think we have to welcome Sorrolla back if he wants to come.  If we find someone 10% better, but has 2 years left, and has to sit a year, may also need to welcome Sorrolla back.

Ideally, both Sorrolla and VU find something better, and it works out well for both.