• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VU2014

Could Valpo be a potential landing spot for former SLU PF Elliott Welmer? High risk (injuries) high reward potentially. One article says he probably is done playing but you never know. He has a year left of eligibility and wants to pursue his MBA. He could play closer to home and work on his MBA here and if things don't workout, maybe he becomes a grad assistant. Just a thought.

Year: 2015 (RS JR)
Position: PF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 220
Hometown: Columbus, IN
High School: Columbus North High School
AAU Team: Eric Gordon All-Stars Keeton

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/elliott-welmer-1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK298uKGQLo

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/four-foot-fractures-later-slu-s-welmer-holds-out-hope/article_90431b25-8530-57b0-a0ec-f1e1e81f2005.html

http://www.therepublic.com/2019/01/23/bad_break__north_graduate_hopes_to_return_from_fourth_foot_fracture/

VUGrad1314

If Welmer's injury concerns are that bad why would we waste our time? If he wants to walk on sure. I'm all for it. But we need somebody in the frontcourt who will actually play for the last scholarship or if it's a sit out transfer a potential impact player.

SanityLost17

Coach Gore usually works with the bigs.   He has a LONG history of bigs getting better every single year.  BTW, Smits is no exception as he improved eevery single year he was here, having a huge breakout season last year.   

Jay did not really improve.  Why? I don't know, perhaps injuries.  But again I think it is not fare to blame the coaching staff here since Gore is the go to guy for developing project bigs and he has proven himself very effective in doing so. 

I for one am very excited about how the team will operate without Smits/Sorolla.   Perhaps it will be a disaster, but it will be different, and considering how the team has looked the last 2 years, I am just ready for different.

Just watching some video on Krikke (spelling?)...   I think he might be the sorta PF that can play center and stretch the floor and really open things up. 

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on June 02, 2019, 02:48:01 PM
I am hoping that Matt has someone in mind, and he was just waiting for Jay to make up his mind before sealing the deal.

I'm wondering whether or not the departures of J and Derrik were more of a reaction to a changed philosophy on offense.  Clearly, in J's situation, if a change in offensive style wasn't in the works, why would he leave?  He didn't go to Cincy to gain additional playing time versus his existing situation at Valpo.

If, on the other hand, the offense has or will change to an uptempo run and gun, press all over the floor style, then a slow 7'er may not see the time previously allocated or see the ball constantly given to the guy in the middle with the direction to make something happen.

The new big is a Euro type and we now have guys like Robinson, Morgan and Clay--all with size and defensive prowess, to go with a guys like Freeman and Sackey.  I suspect we will see an entirely different offensive scheme.  Let's hope so!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on June 03, 2019, 08:19:45 AM
Quote from: humbleopinion on June 02, 2019, 02:48:01 PM
I am hoping that Matt has someone in mind, and he was just waiting for Jay to make up his mind before sealing the deal.

I'm wondering whether or not the departures of J and Derrik were more of a reaction to a changed philosophy on offense.  Clearly, in J's situation, if a change in offensive style wasn't in the works, why would he leave?  He didn't go to Cincy to gain additional playing time versus his existing situation at Valpo.

If, on the other hand, the offense has or will change to an uptempo run and gun, press all over the floor style, then a slow 7'er may not see the time previously allocated or see the ball constantly given to the guy in the middle with the direction to make something happen.

The new big is a Euro type and we now have guys like Robinson, Morgan and Clay--all with size and defensive prowess, to go with a guys like Freeman and Sackey.  I suspect we will see an entirely different offensive scheme.  Let's hope so!

I hope you're right about changing the style.  The roster is loaded with versatile guards and wings, so I hope the coach uses a system that exploits that talent and covers up what appears to be a lack of experience at the center position.

VU2014

I am very interested to see our new style of play. Please let us be a better 3pt shooting team this season. Even the bigs have the chance to space the floor with Mileek, Freese-Villien, and Krikke. Coach mentioned that Krikke can play some undersized center as well but I'm really corncern about foul trouble from all 3. Krikke comes with fairly high praise for his potential future on offense but I'm not sure about his defense. I'd like to see us land a solid grad transfer center who can play reliable D but is slim pickings out there

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on June 03, 2019, 12:59:13 PM
I am very interested to see our new style of play. Please let us be a better 3pt shooting team this season. Even the bigs have the chance to space the floor with Mileek, Freese-Villien, and Krikke. Coach mentioned that Krikke can play some undersized center as well but I'm really corncern about foul trouble from all 3. Krikke comes with fairly high praise for his potential future on offense but I'm not sure about his defense. I'd like to see us land a solid grad transfer center who can play reliable D but is slim pickings out there

Agree on having a grad transfer if possible but looking at our current roster, we have EIGHT guys 6'5" or taller. Four 6'7" or taller.  A combo of shooting and athleticism can more than make-up for pure size.  Butler has for many years won games with no true center or at least not one who dominates in the paint.  Think of Kelan Martin at 6'7", Andrew Chrabascz at 6'7", Tyler Wideman at 6'8" or even Rossevelt Jones at 6'4" !  Not saying our guys are that good but they may be!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I guess, but like to have someone who can hold their own against a guy like Krutwig. I don't expect a guy to be a Vashil who can can be a stud down at defense in the paint but a guy who won't get taken to school on 75% of possessions and get in foul trouble. Help defense can only help so much. I'm interested to see what the freshman bring on defense

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on June 03, 2019, 04:00:50 PM
I guess, but like to have someone who can hold their own against a guy like Krutwig. I don't expect a guy to be a Vashil who can can be a stud down at defense in the paint but a guy who won't get taken to school on 75% of possessions and get in foul trouble. Help defense can only help so much. I'm interested to see what the freshman bring on defense

I think anyone would like someone who could hold their own against the best player in the conference one on one, but it's not like the league is filled with guys like that.  I would be concerned at the lack of experience in the post, but the lack of size isn't going to be an issue all that often in league play, IMO.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on June 03, 2019, 07:18:12 PM

I think anyone would like someone who could hold their own against the best player in the conference one on one, but it's not like the league is filled with guys like that.  I would be concerned at the lack of experience in the post, but the lack of size isn't going to be an issue all that often in league play, IMO.

Solid point, though it's a different story when you are devoid of a serviceable PF/C.

Fazekas is a SF
Clay is a SF
Kiser is a SF who doesn't shoot

Belgium is a Freshman (6'10")
Canada is a Freshman (6'8")

Mileek is a football player

JD24

Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 03, 2019, 08:06:26 AMBelgium is a Freshman (6'10") Canada is a Freshman (6'8") Mileek is a football player
Freese-Vilien I'll guess will struggle defending the post early but he could make teams pay on the offensive end. His stats don't reflect a lot of 3 point production but the tape I've seen of him make it appear he has a shot in the making. Ball looks good coming out of his hand. Of course, Krikke looks awkward in almost everything he does including his 3 pointers but it goes in which is all that counts. I just think Krikke as a 6-7 freshman (unless the reports of 6-9 we saw at one point are true) is really going to have problems trying to defend a post player.

SanityLost17

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 03, 2019, 09:10:04 PM

Solid point, though it's a different story when you are devoid of a serviceable PF/C.

Fazekas is a SF
Clay is a SF

Belgium, Canada, Football Player, and Former Walk-On will be just fine as long as our 4 guard lineup lives up to defensive expectations, and most importantly, can hit a consistent above average percentage from 3.   If they don't, we are going to suck with or without a true center.   How our 1-4 play will make or break this team.   The 4 horsemen at center won't make or break us.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on June 03, 2019, 10:25:39 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 03, 2019, 09:10:04 PM

Fazekas is a SF
Clay is a SF

Belgium, Canada, Football Player, and Former Walk-On will be just fine as long as our 4 guard lineup lives up to defensive expectations, and most importantly, can hit a consistent above average percentage from 3.   If they don't, we are going to suck with or without a true center.   How our 1-4 play will make or break this team.   The 4 horsemen at center won't make or break us.

Canada (Krikke) seems slow of foot and usually the freshman indecisiveness exacerbates that.  Speed of the game could truly bewilder Canada (Krikke) and Belgium (Freese-Villien).

I see where you are coming from, but the guards we play need defense at a level where our bigs aren't required to stop dribble drive.  I fear that and pick and rolls with freshman.

So much is up in the air, could be a hair pulling non conference.  Just to be completely honest, Mileek turning the corner this year .....how likely is that?  I don't have high hopes for him as a contributor on the court.  Yes, he's not been asked to give 20 mpg but in the same breath, he hasn't made it that far without significant foul trouble.  He's got the spirit, just not the basketball awareness / IQ to not body slam his opponent.  No matter how you chalk it up, (to this point) he's just not getting it.

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on June 05, 2019, 06:31:58 PM
Golder had surgery today

https://twitter.com/jlg5297/status/1136345024109486080
https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1136392307333140480

Hopefully his insurance covered it all.  I don't remember anyone needing major surgery while I was at VU.  Were athletes covered by Valpo's insurance or were we expected to claim under our parents (under 25 years old etc)?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 05, 2019, 08:31:26 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on June 05, 2019, 06:31:58 PM
Golder had surgery today

https://twitter.com/jlg5297/status/1136345024109486080
https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1136392307333140480

Hopefully his insurance covered it all.  I don't remember anyone needing major surgery while I was at VU.  Were athletes covered by Valpo's insurance or were we expected to claim under our parents (under 25 years old etc)?

It felt like half the women's team needed ACL surgeries last season. I'm not sure how the insurance policies work with college athletics. I know AP and Lex needed some surgeries. I think I remember hearing Jay went back to Spain when he had that really bad ankle injury to start the season. Derrik also was out his whole true freshman season. Kiser had multiple broken noses while at VU

JD24

If there are any current students on the board they can confirm this has not ended but every fulltime student has as part of their student payments a health insurance policy unless they opt out of it.

tiny707

Looks like there are six centers left that could play immediately:

1.) Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9
2.) Kelvin Jones, Idaho State, 6-11
3.) Colin McManus, Penn, 6-10
4.) Demola Onifade, Delaware State, 6-9
5.) Patrick Szpir, Chicago State, 6-9
6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10

valpo64

Happy to hear that Golder's surgery went well....what was the problem? 

IndyValpo

Quote from: tiny707 on June 07, 2019, 09:12:51 AM
Looks like there are six centers left that could play immediately:

1.) Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9
6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10

Add Dusan Kovacevic 6-10 Davidson
Jalen Williams 6-8 245 Furman

Jones is easily the best however there must be a story keeping him unsigned because lots of less talented bigs have signed. His next stop will be his third.

VUBBFan

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 07, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on June 07, 2019, 09:12:51 AMLooks like there are six centers left that could play immediately: 1.) Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9 2.) Kelvin Jones, Idaho State, 6-11 3.) Colin McManus, Penn, 6-10 4.) Demola Onifade, Delaware State, 6-9 5.) Patrick Szpir, Chicago State, 6-9 6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10
Add Dusan Kovacevic 6-10 Davidson Jalen Williams 6-8 245 Furman Jones is easily the best however there must be a story keeping him unsigned because lots of less talented bigs have signed. His next stop will be his third.
Here's an article that has some info on his first transfer and his Father's role in it. This may be a factor in the transfer decision.
https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2017/10/21/kelvin-jones-departs-from-utep-basketball-program/

VUBBFan

Quote from: tiny707 on June 07, 2019, 09:12:51 AMLooks like there are six centers left that could play immediately: 1.) Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9 2.) Kelvin Jones, Idaho State, 6-11 3.) Colin McManus, Penn, 6-10 4.) Demola Onifade, Delaware State, 6-9 5.) Patrick Szpir, Chicago State, 6-9 6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10

I'll add one more to the list.
3.7 star Kerry Blackshear 6'10" from Pennsylvania

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on June 07, 2019, 01:06:34 PM

I'll add one more to the list.
3.7 star Kerry Blackshear 6'10" from Pennsylvania
Blackshear thought he was headed for the NBA but didn't get a combine invite so he is looking at major schools like UK and UNC as well as returning to VT. He is way over our head.

humbleopinion

Quote from: Just Sayin on June 07, 2019, 08:18:06 PM
1.)   Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/moustapha-diagne-2.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelvin-jones-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/collin-mcmanus-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/demola-onifade-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/patrick-szpir-1.html