• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

valpotx

If that isn't a veiled shot at some of the folks that are no longer with our program, I don't know what is lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on June 24, 2019, 02:49:59 PM
If that isn't a veiled shot at some of the folks that are no longer with our program, I don't know what is lol.

Couldn't agree more, wanted someone else to say it first!!!

bbtds

Truth.

Sorry if I offended some of you by using that word.

VU2014

When Paul Oren writes a book in the future about the history of the Valpo Basketball program (I'm wishfully hoping), I expect at least a few pages explaining what the heck happened to the 18-19 team internally. The coaches and players did a hell of a job fooling fans/media that things were all kumbaya in that locker-room but in reality there seemed to be some infighting or at least angst about roles on the team. I don't know what the truth is.

VUGrad1314

How else could that team that had real talent have cratered like they did? That was embarrassing. I hope we never deal with that again.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 24, 2019, 09:41:10 PM
How else could that team that had real talent have cratered like they did? That was embarrassing. I hope we never deal with that again.
The team was filled with talented roll players with maybe one exception.  As the injuries and, still unexplained, poor production by some of the team leaders began to mount, the team without all of the proper cogs in place began to break down.  That is when the finger pointing and other attitude issues started.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on June 25, 2019, 08:38:35 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 24, 2019, 09:41:10 PM
The team was filled with talented roll players with maybe one exception.  As the injuries and, still unexplained, poor production by some of the team leaders began to mount, the team without all of the proper cogs in place began to break down.  That is when the finger pointing and other attitude issues started.

The healthy and confident team of early January could have met my 12-6 MVC expectation. Our February team condition and attitude reverted us back to maybe a 5-13 level of potential. So much of team success is just the mutual belief and trust in one another. When that goes wins are difficult to manufacture. If I live to 100 I will still be having nightmares about our February imposters pretending to be a Valpo basketball team.

valpotx

Iowa is in trouble, if they expect Evelyn to be an upgrade.  He was terrible last season, and as others have said, seemed to be extremely selfish.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on July 12, 2019, 01:27:22 AM
Iowa is in trouble, if they expect Evelyn to be an upgrade.  He was terrible last season, and as others have said, seemed to be extremely selfish.
There still seems to be things about Evelyn's frustrating performance last year that are unexplained.  I wonder whether the whole story will every be made public, it would be nice to know, as I think many of us suspect, if there were other extenuating circumstances or issues.  I will say that it was nice to see him participate and really celebrate his VU graduation unlike many of the other spring basketball graduates that did not show at graduation. Perhaps the "full" story will come out if Paul ever does another Union Street Hoops.  ;)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

humbleopinion

Perhaps we get a hint when Bakari talked about how his new coach will back his players. I would guess that Lottich tried to get him to act a bit more maturely on the court. I f that's the case, it may speak to a couple other transfers.
Beamin' Beacons

Valpower

Quote from: valpotx on July 12, 2019, 01:27:22 AM
Evelyn may flourish under a different coach, in a different system, with different teammates but the fact that this is his third team casts reasonable doubt.  Lottich's strategy, system, and personality management are by no means proven so I would imagine it was easy for certain "spirited" players (especially those with vocal and active handlers) to challenge him as if they were franchise players.  The results were predictable; discord, poor performance, and the realization that an inexperienced mid-major coach will insist on establishing his system because he'll be dependent upon it more than on finding an NBA first-round pick.  Time will tell if Lottich was inflexible or incapable, but I will say that, based on my taste for emotionally-disciplined players, I won't miss some of the departed players (while still wishing them well).  The best outcome will be that they turn out to be good players because they're playing in the right system and that Valpo does better with a less-hyped but more team-oriented squad.

vu72

Might this be a kid we could take a chance on and redshirt?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/samba-kane
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on July 13, 2019, 08:46:52 AM

Valpo has a good history of being a good landing spot for young Senegal big men

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on July 13, 2019, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 13, 2019, 08:46:52 AM

Valpo has a good history of being a good landing spot for young Senegal big men

And his first name is not Moussa! :-)

4throwfan

Unfortunately, I think the days of redshirting players for their own good are over.

SanityLost17

Quote from: humbleopinion on July 12, 2019, 10:47:23 AM
Perhaps we get a hint when Bakari talked about how his new coach will back his players. I would guess that Lottich tried to get him to act a bit more maturely on the court. I f that's the case, it may speak to a couple other transfers.

His new coach will "back his players". 

I repeat.  Lottich kept playing Bakari after every fan had given up on him, continuing to put him in key situations when all of us would have had him on the bench.   If that is not the definition of having a players back I don't know what it is.   Actions are louder than words.   Perhaps that is Lottich's fatal flaw, he backs his players with his actions and not his words, but he is a coaching a generation who needs constantly reminded with words.  It is the affirmation generation.     

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 15, 2019, 07:44:12 AM

I repeat.  Lottich kept playing Bakari after every fan had given up on him, continuing to put him in key situations when all of us would have had him on the bench.   If that is not the definition of having a players back I don't know what it is.   Actions are louder than words.   Perhaps that is Lottich's fatal flaw, he backs his players with his actions and not his words, but he is a coaching a generation who needs constantly reminded with words.  It is the affirmation generation.     

Would you please posting the link to the article where Evelyn said that?  I don't see any mention of his new coach having his back in the story linked a few posts up.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on July 15, 2019, 09:02:34 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 15, 2019, 07:44:12 AM

Would you please posting the link to the article where Evelyn said that?  I don't see any mention of his new coach having his back in the story linked a few posts up.

I really wish I could. When I posted, I had been linked to a story that talked about McCaffery's emotional style and had the quote from Evelyn about feeling good about being backed by his coach.  Now I can't find it.  Bizarre.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

Let's move on from Bakari, he's moved on from us.

valpopal

Bakari said about his new coach: "What I know for sure is that he fights for his players. He has the back of his team and his players." He is not saying anything different than those on this board have said in the past. We all want a coach who will stand up for his players. His reference may have nothing to do with Lottich; however, how many times did some of us criticize Lottich for not being more forceful with officials, especially after horrible calls against Valpo players? Lottich is entering his fourth year as head coach and, unless I missed something, we're still waiting to see his first technical foul.