• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on July 15, 2019, 03:46:08 PM
Bakari said about his new coach: "What I know for sure is that he fights for his players. He has the back of his team and his players." He is not saying anything different than those on this board have said in the past. We all want a coach who will stand up for his players. His reference may have nothing to do with Lottich; however, how many times did some of us criticize Lottich for not being more forceful with officials, especially after horrible calls against Valpo players? Lottich is entering his fourth year as head coach and, unless I missed something, we're still waiting to see his first technical foul.

I don't dislike Bakari at all, but it's tough for a coach to argue for every foul-(no)call Bakari complained about the last 2 years. Lottich would lose all credibility if he did that. I think Lottich was way too apprehensive when it came to disagreeing with the refs his 1st season in the MVC but less so last year. It is pretty surprising that a guy as competitive as Lottich hasn't got T'd up yet. But to be honest, a lot of people are so "fed up" (non-believers) in Lottich that we're close to people start knit picking the guy for neck-tie selections on game night. The pendulum has swung to being way too overly critical from some fans, imo.

Side note: It's been interesting to see how the narrative about Lottich around the league among other fan-bases has largely been influenced by the negativity on this board and by some people on twitter.

I'm not defending Lottich, but he's had some tough breaks that many are quick to forget about or don't want to acknowledge. Bottomline, he and the team need to be better, but I don't think he's the lost cause many seem to believe he is. It certainly should be a make or break year. He doesn't need to win the league to keep his job, but the program sure as hell better point in the right direction or else he will become a sad foot-note in Valpo Basketball history.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on July 15, 2019, 05:12:27 PM
Bakari said about his new coach: "What I know for sure is that he fights for his players. He has the back of his team and his players." He is not saying anything different than those on this board have said in the past. We all want a coach who will stand up for his players. His reference may have nothing to do with Lottich; however, how many times did some of us criticize Lottich for not being more forceful with officials, especially after horrible calls against Valpo players? Lottich is entering his fourth year as head coach and, unless I missed something, we're still waiting to see his first technical foul.

I don't dislike Bakari at all, but it's tough for a coach to argue for every foul-(no)call Bakari complained about the last 2 years. Lottich would lose all credibility if he did that. I think Lottich was way too apprehensive when it came to disagreeing with the refs his 1st season in the MVC but less so last year. It is pretty surprising that a guy as competitive as Lottich hasn't got T'd up yet. But to be honest, a lot of people are so "fed up" (non-believers) in Lottich that we're close to people start knit picking the guy for neck-tie selections on game night. The pendulum has swung to being way too overly critical from some fans, imo.

Side note: It's been interesting to see how the narrative about Lottich around the league among other fan-bases has largely been influenced by the negativity on this board and by some people on twitter.

I'm not defending Lottich, but he's had some tough breaks that many are quick to forget about or don't want to acknowledge. Bottomline, he and the team need to be better, but I don't think he's the lost cause many seem to believe he is. It certainly should be a make or break year. He doesn't need to win the league to keep his job, but the program sure as hell better point in the right direction or else he will become a sad foot-note in Valpo Basketball history.

He's also only likely in the $250k range (made $225k his first season) for salary, and Bryce was making less than $500k in his last year, so it's not like Valpo's going to break the bank for a head coach.  I think patience is definitely needed.  JFL is going to be a stud, and Donovan Clay certainly has the athleticism to turn some heads as well.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on July 15, 2019, 05:12:27 PM

I don't dislike Bakari at all, but it's tough for a coach to argue for every foul-(no)call Bakari complained about the last 2 years. Lottich would lose all credibility if he did that.

Nobody expected Lottich to argue every bad call to the extent of a technical...but at least once in three years would have been nice, and it didn't have to be Bakari, backing any of the players would have been fine.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 15, 2019, 10:21:17 AM
Let's move on from Bakari, he's moved on from us.

Backaree who?

vusupporter

Give me Lottich any day over a coach who gets suspended for chasing down a referee and cursing him out after a game is over.

valpopal

Quote from: vusupporter on July 16, 2019, 09:17:53 AM
Give me Lottich any day over a coach who gets suspended for chasing down a referee and cursing him out after a game is over.

There is a middle ground between a milquetoast and a madman. Plus the idea of backing players goes beyond arguing with officials to receive a technical foul. Let's not have short memories. How many times last season did folks on this board criticize Lottich's lack of fire or support for players in post-game conferences?

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on July 16, 2019, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: vusupporter on July 16, 2019, 09:17:53 AM

There is a middle ground between a milquetoast and a madman. Plus the idea of backing players goes beyond arguing with officials to receive a technical foul. Let's not have short memories. How many times last season did folks on this board criticize Lottich's lack of fire or support for players in post-game conferences?

To come full circle. Bakari's new HC can be a madman. He throws tantrums on the court.

I don't think Bakari know Fran yet. You don't get to know who people really are after 1-2 times talking to them in an office setting. I think anyone can attest to this but you find a persons true stripes when $hit hits the fan.

talksalot

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUBBFan on June 27, 2019, 05:28:32 PM

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 27, 2019, 09:03:49 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on June 07, 2019, 08:18:06 PM1.)   Moustaphan Diadne, Western Kentucky University, 6-9 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/moustapha-diagne-2.html 2.) Kelvin Jones, Idaho State, 6-11 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelvin-jones-1.html 3.) Colin McManus, Penn, 6-10 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/collin-mcmanus-1.html 4.) Demola Onifade, Delaware State, 6-9 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/demola-onifade-1.html 5.) Patrick Szpir, Chicago State, 6-9 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/patrick-szpir-1.html 6.) Jethro Shusuwpa Mbiya, Mississippi State, 6-10 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jethro-tshisumpa-1.html 7.) Dusan Kovacevic 6-10 Davidson https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dusan-kovacevic-1.html 8.) Jalen Williams 6-8 245 Furman Jones https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-williams-1.html 9. ) 3.7 star Kerry Blackshear 6'10" from Pennsylvania https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kerry-blackshearjr-1.html
#8 to Cleveland State, #9 to Florida
And # 2 to Creighton.
#3 to Farleigh Dickinson
Note that #8 is available, he like several others have bailed on Cleveland State after Felton was fired.

vu72

-As the start of the pre-season trip nears, it looks increasingly that we won't be adding another player--opting instead to hold the scholarship for a possible mid-season transfer, who knows.

I did want to address the whole transfer thing, which is happening at an alarming rate and continues even at this writing.  I just checked Verbal Commits and the total for this year is now up to 952!!!!!  That is an increase of 200 over just 5 years ago.  There are 351 D1 teams with 13 scholarships.  That totals 4,563 possible players so 952 equals over 20%.  That is chaos pure and simple.  The redshirt year is a thing of the past, particularly at the mid and low-major level.  We need a rule change.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

4throwfan

If a team is losing 2-3 players per year to graduation, and 2-3 players per year to transfer (which may go up if there are several graduate transfers in a given year), then that is quite an attrition rate per year.  With that kind of rate of transfer, it suggests that a majority of students would not graduate with the school that they started with. 

I wonder if the transfer rate is high in mid-major and low-major conferences?  I also wonder what the transfer percentage rate was for the MVC this year.

I have two reasons for asking those two questions.  First, VU lost 5 players (almost 6) players to transfer.  Most are graduate transfers.  If that is average in relation to VU's peers, then I'm not sure that we can say that the number transfers this year was a valid knock against VU coaches.  Second, this may further upset the balance of power between power conferences and lower conferences.  Lower conferences have always relied on seasoned seniors to compete against P5 schools.  If it cannot develop seniors, then it will be at a disadvantage.  Plus, a larger part of an already smaller budget must be used on recruiting.

I agree, there needs to be a rule change.  Otherwise, I could see non-P5 college basketball being in trouble.

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on July 26, 2019, 01:17:01 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 26, 2019, 01:17:01 PM-As the start of the pre-season trip nears, it looks increasingly that we won't be adding another player--opting instead to hold the scholarship for a possible mid-season transfer, who knows. I did want to address the whole transfer thing, which is happening at an alarming rate and continues even at this writing.  I just checked Verbal Commits and the total for this year is now up to 952!!!!!  That is an increase of 200 over just 5 years ago.  There are 351 D1 teams with 13 scholarships.  That totals 4,563 possible players so 952 equals over 20%.  That is chaos pure and simple.  The redshirt year is a thing of the past, particularly at the mid and low-major level.  We need a rule change.

Correction: There are 353 D1 teams.

vu72

I don't think we really need another 6'1" shooting guard.  That would really surprise me if we actually offered.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on September 06, 2019, 01:06:41 PMI don't think we really need another 6'1" shooting guard.  That would really surprise me if we actually offered.

Looks like he is going to ul-lafayette

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on July 27, 2019, 10:43:07 AM

Quote from: vu72 on July 26, 2019, 01:17:01 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 26, 2019, 01:17:01 PM-As the start of the pre-season trip nears, it looks increasingly that we won't be adding another player--opting instead to hold the scholarship for a possible mid-season transfer, who knows. I did want to address the whole transfer thing, which is happening at an alarming rate and continues even at this writing.  I just checked Verbal Commits and the total for this year is now up to 952!!!!!  That is an increase of 200 over just 5 years ago.  There are 351 D1 teams with 13 scholarships.  That totals 4,563 possible players so 952 equals over 20%.  That is chaos pure and simple.  The redshirt year is a thing of the past, particularly at the mid and low-major level.  We need a rule change.

Correction: There are 353 D1 teams.

Update:  353 D1 teams time 13 players equals 4,589 players.  The Verbal Commits site now has 1,002 transfers so that is almost 22%  or almost 3 per team.  Something has to change.  Crazy stuff.  An increase of 250 players (so far) in five years.

VU2014

vu72

Glad they have a lot of players who can go off every night.  I'm also glad we finally have the same situation.

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu72 on November 02, 2019, 07:22:21 PM
Glad they have a lot of players who can go off every night.  I'm also glad we finally have the same situation.

Eh, not really based on the exhibition results (for Butler).

valpotx

Can someone post the article?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

NativeCheesehead

It will be an interesting exercise to look back at the end of the year at the players that left vs how we did as a team. Until then, I don't give a s*** about anyone not wearing a Crusader jersey.

VU2014

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2019, 07:17:44 PM
Comments from D Smits about his role at Valpo.
https://twitter.com/indystar/status/1185272698697650176?s=20

Found this on Derrik's play during their two exhibition games in the Indy newspaper.  Sound familiar?

Starting with Derrik Smits, the 7-foot-1 graduate transfer from Valparaiso showed some flashes of his skill but was limited to just 17 total minutes due to foul trouble and inconsistency. He was the only player on the roster to record a negative plus-minus in both contests. This is definitely concerning considering the Dawgs will need their true center to play significant minutes against bigger opponents. With that said, though, his performances should not send the fanbase into a negative frenzy.

Several roster members praised Smits for his leadership and attitude during a preseason media session and that should not be overlooked simply by two poor exhibition games. He is a veteran collegiate player that will not be dissuaded by a small sample size of struggle. Smits clearly wasn't a major offensive threat in the preseason but his post scoring should be a very minor worry. The biggest keys for him will be continued defensive development and improving his willingness to pass.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2019, 08:28:11 AM7-foot-1 graduate transfer from Valparaiso showed some flashes of his skill but was limited to just 17 total minutes due to foul trouble and inconsistency. He was the only player on the roster to record a negative plus-minus in both contests. This is definitely concerning considering the Dawgs will need their true center to play significant minutes against bigger opponents. With that said, though, his performances should not send the fanbase into a negative frenzy.

Several roster members praised Smits for his leadership and attitude during a preseason media session and that should not be overlooked simply by two poor exhibition games. He is a veteran collegiate player that will not be dissuaded by a small sample size of struggle. Smits clearly wasn't a major offensive threat in the preseason but his post scoring should be a very minor worry. The biggest keys for him will be continued defensive development and improving his willingness to pass.

I think that quote did a great job of pretty much summing up Derek's complete Valparaiso career. Not sure why Butler would think they were getting anything different.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show