• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vok22

Also, this is not a complete overhaul. We essentially lost 2 regular players...I don't understand why some people are insistent on making this a doomsday scenario when we lost 1 of our 5 main pieces (Clay, Krikke, JO, Edwards, Barrett)

bb33

I agree.  We really only had one key transfer, and that's a kid who is being told that some P5 schools are interested  - I think it would be to come off the bench but who knows.  He probably  wants to the perks of a P5 conf.  Valpo can't compete.  The others saw playing time decreasing.  Not sure Siggy would play that much given what is coming in unless he was shooting lights out.   And grad transfers don't count. nor should a walk-on.  If you were at a small school, wouldn't you use your second chance to try someone new?  Eron and Zion have already seen the other side so they are good to stay.  The future IS bright.  You have to be optimistic because the alternative will just get you down.

valpotx

Zion is staying another year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 16, 2021, 02:39:00 PMI bet the majority of the reasons for the transfers is our offensive system blows.  It's bad and the players have shown they cannot adapt to it.  It's a clueless offensive and then we panic and force shots to beat the shot clock.  Every game...

Our current offensive system allows, in my opinion, an extreme amount of latitude to the player, hence the number of 3's taken and shots taken early in the shot clock. Most young players like that kind of wide open offense were it appears that they make the decisions and too often play one on one basketball. Clay played the most minutes of any player in the MVC and had the most scoring opportunities of any player on our team. I don't think he is transferring because he wants fewer opportunities to display his talents. This is all about the "handlers" thinking the player is at the wrong level and that they would do better on another team in a different conference. How did that work out for JFL, Smits, Sorolla etc.

JFL would have easily contended with Krutwig for POY in the MVC, played in 9 more games and perhaps even had a chance to go dancing, if not this year then next. Yes he played in the Big East against really good competition but that is all he can really say that he did. Next year he will have an uncertain situation with a new coach and most likely a new offense, doubtful they contend for a spot in the bracket. He would have been better off staying put, his "handlers" blew it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 04:05:25 PM

I've not seen anything saying that. Typically PO has that scoop and he hasn't tweeted anything yet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Good move by Laravia, and he can play at that level.  Great school, too.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

Quote from: VU2014 on March 16, 2021, 04:20:44 PM
https://twitter.com/travisbranham_/status/1371876608068497409?s=21

This would be a great get for us. Experienced point guard that can score, shoot the three (36%) and rebound. All around player at the most important position that would instantly make us much better. Don't think the odds are in our favor, though.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2021, 04:14:58 PMClay played the most minutes of any player in the MVC and had the most scoring opportunities of any player on our team. I don't think he is transferring because he wants fewer opportunities to display his talents. This is all about the "handlers" thinking the player is at the wrong level and that they would do better on another team in a different conference. How did that work out for JFL, Smits, Sorolla etc.

Good "handlers' are far more uncommon than "mis handlers". We have had a pretty long list in the second category.

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2021, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 04:05:25 PM

I've not seen anything saying that. Typically PO has that scoop and he hasn't tweeted anything yet.

I see little value for him and perhaps less for the team so my best guess remains "no".

bb33

I heard somewhere Zion is staying.

bb33

Jake LaRavia from Indiana State just committed to Wake Forest.   That was a good pick up for WF

nkvu

I think a grad transfer point guard with coaching ambition would be of great benefit to help the freshman point guards develop. I suppose Gordon and Morgan could serve that role, but I don't think either are natural point guards.  Absent a transfer in I guess either Gordon or Morgan or both will get most of the minutes at the point in the beginning of the season. If so, then the team's success may depend on how quickly one of the freshmen can play their way into getting large minutes at the point.

valpotx

If Zion has any professional ambitions in basketball, he would be making a good decision in using the extra year, while furthering his education as a backup.  If Oumar Sylla can eventually play professional basketball, and the Zion of the last month shows up for a full year, he could also do so.  Guys that can confidently possess the ball and distribute have a place overseas, even if they aren't great shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTUeOqdYCE
"Don't mess with Texas"

GoldenCrusader87

Interesting point

Maybe that's part of the situation at hand. Not necessarily a matter of "falling in love" if you don't have a lot of suitors perhaps. How many of our players, like many lower to average mid-major programs, recruit players who didn't have many other D-1 offers?

Many factors at play even for highly sought after recruits but if you only have one or two or at most a handful of offers and haven't gotten much attention from the "experts" who rank prospects and such, it may be a matter of settling, being thankful for the opportunity itself, and/or figuring it's a matter of getting one's foot in the door before (at best) transferring to a bigger program with more exposure thereafter.

Not necessarily a 4 year commitment at this point. Could be related to academic degrees offered and such too obviously.

VUGrad1314

Wasn't Faulkner an original NKU commit who left when Brannen left or am I mistaken? Did he have a brother who played for NKU?

RS

Yes Faulkner was an original NKU recruit. He was a freshman the last year VU was in Horizon League and probably played against VU.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: RS on March 16, 2021, 09:51:49 PMYes Faulkner was an original NKU recruit. He was a freshman the last year VU was in Horizon League and probably played against VU.

Weird that NKU is after him now after he left them. Maybe you can go back to where you transferred from. (Not getting my hopes up for anyone in particular or anything   :) )

RS

Saw this on transfer portal today ... Xavier Casteneda a Junior transferring from South Florida. VU offered him a scholarship 3 years ago. Played along with Javon Freeman at Whitney Young. A 6'1 Point guard that shot over 35% from 3 point line and averaged 8.3 pts. 

wh

Quote from: RS on March 17, 2021, 01:07:05 PM
Saw this on transfer portal today ... Xavier Casteneda a Junior transferring from South Florida. VU offered him a scholarship 3 years ago. Played along with Javon Freeman at Whitney Young. A 6'1 Point guard that shot over 35% from 3 point line and averaged 8.3 pts. 

His best overall FG% was this season- 36%. That's all we need is another point guard that can't keep the defense honest.

valpo95

Quote from: wh on March 17, 2021, 01:36:49 PM

His best overall FG% was this season- 36%. That's all we need is another point guard that can't keep the defense honest.

That may be true, yet Daniel Sackey shot 6-41 (14.6%) from three this year, and Donovan Clay shot 20-98 (20.4%) from three this year. A 35% shooter would be a remarkable improvement on that dimension.

vuny98

Quote from: valpo95 on March 17, 2021, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: RS on March 17, 2021, 01:07:05 PMSaw this on transfer portal today ... Xavier Casteneda a Junior transferring from South Florida. VU offered him a scholarship 3 years ago. Played along with Javon Freeman at Whitney Young. A 6'1 Point guard that shot over 35% from 3 point line and averaged 8.3 pts.
That may be true, yet Daniel Sackey shot 6-41 (14.6%) from three this year, and Donovan Clay shot 20-98 (20.4%) from three this year. A 35% shooter would be a remarkable improvement on that dimension.
It's sad to think that as much as we complained about how horrible Sackey was from three... Clay, our "best" player, was only 6 percentage pts better...

RS

wh good point about his fg percentage but he shot almost 39% from 3pt range. Not saying he is the perfect fit or even a fit for the team but he would keep teams from sagging off on him which is something everyone complained about Sackey and Clay

nkvu

Quote from: vuny98 on March 17, 2021, 03:59:34 PM
Quote from: RS on March 17, 2021, 01:07:05 PMSaw this on transfer portal today ... Xavier Casteneda a Junior transferring from South Florida. VU offered him a scholarship 3 years ago. Played along with Javon Freeman at Whitney Young. A 6'1 Point guard that shot over 35% from 3 point line and averaged 8.3 pts.
It's sad to think that as much as we complained about how horrible Sackey was from three... Clay, our "best" player, was only 6 percentage pts better...

Clay's shot from three seemed to me to be off line more often than not. Shots inside the three point line often came up short. The image that came to my mind all season was a golfer with the yips. I kept waiting for him to hit a few shots and come out of his slump and get some confidence but with the exception of a game or two, he didn't.  On the other hand I had no confidence Sackey would hit a shot and he seldom disappointed me. I hated when the shot clock would wind down and too often he would end up with the ball. He was as likely to miss everything as even hit the backboard. Yes Clay's shooting percentage may not have been that much better than Sackey's this year, but at least there was hope.

wh

Daniel   42% 2PT FG  14% 3PT FG
Xavier   34% 2PT FG 39% 3PT FG

Yes, we could trade 1-dimensional Daniel for 1-dimensional Xavier, but wouldn't it be nice to find a PG that can do both for a change?