• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vu72

It's getting lonely at DePaul as Charlie Moore their stud point guard is now in the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

isn't the new coach bringing a couple of players from Oregon or did I just make that up in my head?

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2021, 02:41:42 PM
It's getting lonely at DePaul as Charlie Moore their stud point guard is now in the portal.

Maybe he'd do better with better coaching, but he (and frankly a lot of the DePaul roster under Leitao) has had a lot of empty calorie production in his collegiate career.  With the talent they have on that roster, they certainly should have been better than they were, even with their Covid issues to start the year.

DePaul literally has 3 guys returning from last year and they're still waiting to hear if the 2 HS players that signed LOIs in the fall are still coming.  So there's always someone who's worse off.

bb33

New Orleans could be a great fit for Sacky.  I think  his playing time was going down.  This is one situation where i think the transfer portal is a good thing for everyone.  I wish him the best. 

valpotx

Good choice by Sackey.  He will get the playing time at a lower level program, that he would have lost at Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I'm glad Sackey was able to stay D1 and find a better fit. He is a really good person it just didn't work out here on the court. I'm rooting for him and wish him the bet of luck!

elephtheria47

Besides, playing in New Orleans for free while a college student? I can think of worse places to be playing. Good for him.

NativeCheesehead

I think we can micro analyze each transfer in or out and make our cases for and against this coaching staff. Ultimately, the record doesn't lie. We finished outside the bottom four for the first time last season. It's small progress, but it's progress nonetheless. Now it's time for a top 4 finish. If we're there, great. If we're back on Thursday it's time for the HC and AD to go.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 13, 2021, 08:59:51 PMI think we can micro analyze each transfer in or out and make our cases for and against this coaching staff. Ultimately, the record doesn't lie. We finished outside the bottom four for the first time last season. It's small progress, but it's progress nonetheless. Now it's time for a top 4 finish. If we're there, great. If we're back on Thursday it's time for the HC and AD to go.

Even with his checkered record of success in hiring coaches I would be very leery of making a change at the AD position. MLB is the best AD we've had by a good margin and we might be thinking the grass is greener on the other side but it actually isn't especially when so many of us question the school's overall commitment to athletics. We might not truly know how good MLB is because he is hamstrung and constrained in some way(s) by the administration. He did a great job with the women's basketball hire I think he would deserve another chance at choosing the next leader for the basketball program if Lottich ultimately doesn't work out.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 13, 2021, 11:04:47 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 13, 2021, 08:59:51 PMI think we can micro analyze each transfer in or out and make our cases for and against this coaching staff. Ultimately, the record doesn't lie. We finished outside the bottom four for the first time last season. It's small progress, but it's progress nonetheless. Now it's time for a top 4 finish. If we're there, great. If we're back on Thursday it's time for the HC and AD to go.

Even with his checkered record of success in hiring coaches I would be very leery of making a change at the AD position. MLB is the best AD we've had by a good margin and we might be thinking the grass is greener on the other side but it actually isn't especially when so many of us question the school's overall commitment to athletics. We might not truly know how good MLB is because he is hamstrung and constrained in some way(s) by the administration. He did a great job with the women's basketball hire I think he would deserve another chance at choosing the next leader for the basketball program if Lottich ultimately doesn't work out.

I like MLB, but found this comment funny.  MLB is the best AD we've had...out of 2 total in the last 30-35 years :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 13, 2021, 11:34:44 PMI like MLB, but found this comment funny.  MLB is the best AD we've had...out of 2 total in the last 30-35 years

Actually it's 2 in the last 42 years and only 3 in the last 64 years!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: nkvu on April 09, 2021, 11:29:48 AM
I also hope we can get a big through the portal. I'm really getting tired of getting out rebounded constantly.
I understand this is a priority, and I am expecting it to be addressed in the near future.

VUSWIM08-12

Who is this Trevor Anderson guy that transferred from Wisconsin ? Seems like a good get, but I know nothing about him!

VUSWIM08-12

Did a little research , UWGB commit , got injured , transferred to UW. Played 12 minutes a game. Old senior lol. He could definitely produce for us!

valpotx

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 14, 2021, 04:44:42 PM
The sit-a-year rule for MBB and football officially gone.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31258180/ncaa-allow-transfers-play-college-football-basketball-sitting-season-report-says

Honestly, it seemed like this was already the case for mid-majors a few years back.  If you transferred up to a P5, you were likely to get a 'hardship waiver.'  This just makes it official. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Quote from: valpotx on April 14, 2021, 07:29:08 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 14, 2021, 04:44:42 PM
The sit-a-year rule for MBB and football officially gone.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31258180/ncaa-allow-transfers-play-college-football-basketball-sitting-season-report-says

Honestly, it seemed like this was already the case for mid-majors a few years back.  If you transferred up to a P5, you were likely to get a 'hardship waiver.'  This just makes it official. 

I fear we have entered a world where if we somehow recruit an exceptional talent, we can only expect to have him for one, maybe two years before he  "moves up" to a P5 team where he can play immediately. So maybe our strategy should be to recruit freshman projects who might be more content to sit while they are coached up to contribute as juniors/seniors, while filling the roster with P5 players who want to "move down" for playing time, or D2 players who want to move up.  I suppose that could lead to some decent teams, particularly if the other MVC teams have the same experience, but I fear the days of following a Rowdy or an Alec for four years, guys who potentially could lead the team to the dance may be over. 

vuny98

Quote from: valpotx on April 14, 2021, 07:29:08 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 14, 2021, 04:44:42 PMThe sit-a-year rule for MBB and football officially gone. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31258180/ncaa-allow-transfers-play-college-football-basketball-sitting-season-report-says
As a Valpo fan I don't like it, but I actually agree with it. If a kid is in a bad situation or has a chance to better himself or whatever the reason they have, they should have the freedom to move without the punishment of sitting a year and having that force their hand. Now the flip side is that this will be abused by both other schools and the student athletes and create a mess, but freedom can be messy. It will work itself out in time.

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on April 12, 2021, 10:35:15 PMJust because a wrong statement is said over and over does not make it true,

There's a certain ex-president and his political cronies who I wish could recognize this. They can't.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on April 14, 2021, 09:44:15 AM
Quote from: valpotx on April 13, 2021, 11:34:44 PMI like MLB, but found this comment funny.  MLB is the best AD we've had...out of 2 total in the last 30-35 years

Does anybody remember when John Krause was AD? I do.

humbleopinion

Quote from: bbtds on April 14, 2021, 11:15:58 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 14, 2021, 09:44:15 AM

Does anybody remember when John Krause was AD? I do.

I only go as far back as when Bill Steinbrecher and his family lived in Wehrenberg Hall. In exchange for serving a faculty member on site they were given free lodging -- an important supplement to his meager salary. 
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on April 14, 2021, 05:25:40 PM
Who is this Trevor Anderson guy that transferred from Wisconsin ? Seems like a good get, but I know nothing about him!

The press release say he was Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin for 2016.  I know Bryce was a Mr. Basketball but have we had any others?

RS

Good to see the transfers have signed their letters of intent. Should be an improvement over last years 3 point shooting along with the incoming freshmen. But still very concerned about rebounding and interior defense. With only Ben a proven inside presence and only Emil being the only backup we could  have a very serious problem. I know some have posted that hopefully a transfer or two will solve that problem but i wonder if the athletic department will go along with 2 more scholarship players since we already have 13. True that Gordon and Morgan do not count towards the scholarship allotment but will the athletic department go along with the money for the extra players. Oh to have JO change his mind. i Wonder if some of the issues that JO was concerned about have left the program. Its still early in the signing period but quality big men are moving along fast and there was no hint in Matt's statement yesterday that they are pursuing any more players.

crusader05

From what i've understood from those closer to the program they're still out there looking. Also JO was the last one to declare so my thought is that if there was a singular individual or individuals he didn't like they're still on the team. Also we don't know exactly what the main reason for him leaving was and just because one or two things change doesn't mean that's the one that's gonna sway him to come back.