• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 28, 2021, 08:58:56 AM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1385380704146628612?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1385380704146628612%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-2130060169321337924.ampproject.net%2F2104170104001%2Fframe.html

Got to know Steven's father a bit over the winter so I guess I will have to try and catch a few games next season to see how Steven performs. I suspect he will get a fair amount of playing time. Having coached at Tech I continue to follow the program so I can say that their Head Coach Ted Albert should make Steve feel at home. Albert played and was an assistant previously at Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids. Cornerstone is a strong Christian university and I suspect that Albert's team incorporates those principles. Albert has been very successful in his 4 years at Tech and this years team ended up 22-9. They are very big with 7 players in the 6'6"-6'10' range and had no seniors, so at least one player must be transferring or the NAIA is doing something similar with the extra scholarship year.

The school, on the other hand, will be significantly different from Valpo. I hope that Steven does well and I look forward to seeing him play in person!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: VUBBFan on April 27, 2021, 09:26:31 AM
Quote from: FWalum on April 26, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on April 26, 2021, 02:28:00 PMCoach Gore lamented about this in a recent pod-cast. He expressed his frustration in not being able to connect and interact with players.
What podcast was that? Would love to listen.

It was the pod cast "jack vita show". He was interviewing coach Gore about the sweet 16. It's rather long and they don't say much about Valpo until the last 1/4 of the pod cast.

Interesting, a Valpo Alum with a Christian based sports podcast who occasionally interviews other Valpo alums and coaches. Seems to me that this should be a little more widely advertised on the forum... I also liked the interview with Paul Oren, but haven't listened to the show where Jack spends some time talking about the Valpo mascot issue. Here is his website, from which you can get the podcast info. Jack Vita website with the Podcast link
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Congrats to Helm, and appears to be the right level for him to finish his career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 28, 2021, 01:03:19 PM
Congrats to Helm, and appears to be the right level for him to finish his career.

where did you see that?  its not on verbal commits yet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 28, 2021, 01:24:12 PM

where did you see that?  its not on verbal commits yet.

@INTechMBB tweeted it out last Thursday.

FWalum

Actually feel sorry for Kpegeol and Morgan, things just aren't normal whether it be basketball or school. Both of these players have never really found a college home or team. I can't imagine that because my experience at Valpo was such a big part of my life and I don't think I would be the same if I bounced around from school to school. At least Morgan is graduating and seems to have something to fall back on. I thought that Goodnews might finally seem to fit into the scheme of things given a normal year, he was a very passionate player when he was on the floor, he just sometimes seemed lost and I had hoped a real year of being with the team and practicing might have made a difference.

Blessings, Godspeed and best of luck to both of them!

VUGrad1314

Well that's two open scholarships we can use right? Best of luck to them both! Was hoping to see what they could do next year but I think minutes would be hard for Kpegeol especially to come by. Zion was really coming on at the end of last year and his absence might be felt a bit but it'll be interesting to see how Matt chooses to use the two scholarships we have open now.

IndyValpo

I agree but let's be honest he started at Carroll in Montana transferred to Valpo, took a two year mission came back to Valpo now off to Indiana Tech theoretically still a soph if NCAA like rules apply. He still could have a couple of stops left in him.

Pgmado

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 28, 2021, 05:30:14 PM
Well that's two open scholarships we can use right? Best of luck to them both! Was hoping to see what they could do next year but I think minutes would be hard for Kpegeol especially to come by. Zion was really coming on at the end of last year and his absence might be felt a bit but it'll be interesting to see how Matt chooses to use the two scholarships we have open now.

Only one. Zion, as a senior, doesn't free up a scholarship.

valpopal

Robinson moves to the Southern Conference, ranked 10 in this past year's NET list with Missouri Valley ranked 11, but to possibly that league's weakest team.

[tweet]1387520423001219079[/tweet]

bb33

I think Zion is moving on from basketball.  He has his eye on other things now.  Good for him. 

I will miss GoodNews.  He played with a lot of heart.

justducky

That puts my count at 13 eligible scholarship players and this might be a great time to stop. OK maybe a whale jumps in our boat but other than that I think we are good. We have gotten by with 11 so why would we ever need 14? Without Morgan and Kpegeol then Woodyard and DeAveiro should at least have some opportunities to play and maybe impress. Like I asked on the girl's thread "Is too much of a good thing still a good thing?"

valpotx

I am impressed with our former players and their transfer selections.  Each made what seems like the correct decision tied to the level that they can play.  I hope that each gains the playing time that they seek, to finish out their careers.  Morgan being done is not a surprise, though it is unfortunate about Goodnews.  He did seem to play with a lot of energy, though the optics were that he and ML did not get along.  It was either that, or Goodnews was playing hurt, and ML didn't want to chance further injury.

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: justducky on April 28, 2021, 06:41:21 PM
That puts my count at 13 eligible scholarship players and this might be a great time to stop. OK maybe a whale jumps in our boat but other than that I think we are good. We have gotten by with 11 so why would we ever need 14? Without Morgan and Kpegeol then Woodyard and DeAveiro should at least have some opportunities to play and maybe impress. Like I asked on the girl's thread "Is too much of a good thing still a good thing?"

Wow, I step away from the board for the afternoon, and the roster changes yet again. Anyway, I completely agree with every point in this post. We're there (short of ducky's whale).

Chairback

Hard to accept 9 is normal for these days. 

Goodnews I believe was expected to transfer.

Pgmado

Quote from: Chairback on April 28, 2021, 08:12:11 PM

Nine is an inflated number IMO. McMillan, Morgan and Robinson weren't expected to be on the roster next year anyway. Helm is a walk-on. Takes the number down to five. Lorange couldn't get healthy and probably isn't a D1 player. Kpegeol never seemed to fit in. The three big ones hurt. Clay, Ognacevic and Sackey.

vuny98

Quote from: Pgmado on April 28, 2021, 08:23:09 PM
Quote from: Chairback on April 28, 2021, 08:12:11 PMHard to accept 9 is normal for these days. Goodnews I believe was expected to transfer.
Nine is an inflated number IMO. McMillan, Morgan and Robinson weren't expected to be on the roster next year anyway. Helm is a walk-on. Takes the number down to five. Lorange couldn't get healthy and probably isn't a D1 player. Kpegeol never seemed to fit in. The three big ones hurt. Clay, Ognacevic and Sackey.
I think you could also say Morgan and Goodnews may have stayed had they not seen the people we brought in. I said in a previous post, Goodnews and Morgan looked like they may be the odd men out of the rotation with all the transfers and promising freshmen on the roster. They may have sensed that as well and left/"retired" because they didn't want to spend another year sitting the bench.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vuny98 on April 28, 2021, 08:37:58 PM
Quote from: Chairback on April 28, 2021, 08:12:11 PMHard to accept 9 is normal for these days. Goodnews I believe was expected to transfer.
I think you could also say Morgan and Goodnews may have stayed had they not seen the people we brought in. I said in a previous post, Goodnews and Morgan looked like they may be the odd men out of the rotation with all the transfers and promising freshmen on the roster. They may have sensed that as well and left/"retired" because they didn't want to spend another year sitting the bench.

I guess that means we can retire the argument that Matt isn't honest with his players. For all of his issues that doesn't appear to be one  of them. Which makes sense because dishonesty would not square with how religious he is and also wouldn't fly at a school like Valpo.

justducky

Of our transfers out, Clay may be the only one to move upward to a stronger team or conference. Even that is arguable given the stature of our new faces.

Best of luck to each departing player. They came in as Crusaders and I will remember 20-21 as the last crusade.

wh

Quote from: Chairback on April 28, 2021, 08:12:11 PM

Of course you're right, but that doesn't support the "Matt has a problem" narrative, especially given that the average is almost 4 now.

vu72

What's up with Joe Hedstrom?  He isn't listed on the roster and no news about his signing his papers.  Some glich?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I believe he's only a verbal commit at this time but hasn't officially signed and until he does so the university cant acknowledge him