• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

VU2014

humbleopinion

Quote from: vok22 on March 22, 2022, 01:37:22 PMSheldon and Keyondre in the portal.

Ouch!

Sheldon was anticipated; Keyondre is a surprise.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

I want to know why. I hope they have an exit interview with the AD without the coaches in the room. Do they think they are not getting coached at an acceptable level? Not a fit for the school? Too far away from home?

It's critical for the Athletics Department to know this things.

My first thought is coaching but it may be different.

Honestly I want Lottich out of here at this point. 6 years of mediocrity and demoralizing of the fanbase. I'm sick of it. He's going to get another year but honestly I'm sick of investing emotionally into this program with him at the helm of it. I've had enough

chgovalpofan

Why in the world did Lottich red shirt young? He could have helped the team.  The little we saw of him was exciting.  Yet another poor decision by the program.  Wishing him nothing but the best.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2022, 03:20:25 PMI want to know why.

The reason for Sheldon transferring is geographical.  His family is in Florida, and he wants to be closer to them. I presume that Paul's information in The Victory Bell will support that.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: chgovalpofan on March 22, 2022, 03:21:21 PM
Why in the world did Lottich red shirt young? He could have helped the team.  The little we saw of him was exciting.  Yet another poor decision by the program.  Wishing him nothing but the best.

He had a broken thumb.  So he gets a full yearof education at a top notch school paid for and, a red-shirt so still has four years of eligibility. And we get Zilch. Thanks for playing. At least Sheldon gave us three good years. I wish him well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chgovalpofan

Sheldon only played for two years, but he truly was a meaningful player and with only two years was one of our veteran players (how sad is that).  Will be interested in where he ends up, Definitely cheering for him.

NativeCheesehead

Won't spoil the content, but Paul's piece on the transfers is very damning of this coaching staff. It's time for a change. As in, immediately.

AB

Sheldon's tweet after the road Bradley game was pretty damning.

humbleopinion

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 22, 2022, 05:41:51 PM
Won't spoil the content, but Paul's piece on the transfers is very damning of this coaching staff. It's time for a change. As in, immediately.

What a surprise that this is your interpretation of the article!
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

Please share your interpretation of the article if it differs.

mj

I had a gut feeling that Young would be leaving. I think it was his somewhat late arrival coupled with his failure to return from his injury.

The fact that Edwards is leaving is damming of Lottich. It's also concerning that it a lot of talented African-American players have left the program.

At this point, I think you have to fire Lottich and go with an interim coach for a year. I can't see the program being any worse off.

I believe that we will win.

valpolaw

This is like watching the same movie over and over.

We are long overdue for a breath of fresh air and a change

oklahomamick

Why would you fire him and pay his buyout just to have an interim coach? 
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 22, 2022, 02:37:52 PM
Quote from: vok22 on March 22, 2022, 01:37:22 PMSheldon and Keyondre in the portal.
Ouch! Sheldon was anticipated; Keyondre is a surprise.
This from me in mid - Oct when it was apparent Young was either going to not play much over the spectacular transfers or was going to redshirt.

Quote from: JD24 on October 17, 2021, 11:33:01 PM
Should I just forward Keyondre Young's name to the portal people now and get it over with?
I don't know if the guy was healthy during the year but if he was it was inexcusable to not play him.

valpotx

Young is not a surprise on my side.  When he wasn't playing while healthy, you could see his posture on the bench.  He didn't think that he should be sitting, and I don't think that he should have been sitting.  Also notice that JFL was one of those to comment on Sheldon's Tweet.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 23, 2022, 07:09:28 AM
Young is not a surprise on my side.  When he wasn't playing while healthy, you could see his posture on the bench.  He didn't think that he should be sitting, and I don't think that he should have been sitting.  Also notice that JFL was one of those to comment on Sheldon's Tweet.

JFL is close with Sheldon.

Sheldon probably saw the success JFL had and Nick Robinson and decided to move on.

Like you said, the tweet after the Bradley game was telling.

Provided we have the necessary budget and we have out in the contract, Lottich is coaching for his job next season, which is how it should be.

That interview where Coach Lottich's name was dropped and President Padilla mentioned, we can't be anyone's doormat, should be a wake up call.

vu72

Disappointing news. If it's any consolation, we aren't the only Valley team taking a hit. Illinois State loses a first teamer in Reeves and Missouri State loses two projected starters in JaMonta Black and Sharp.  Evansville loses their team leader in Shamar Givance and Indiana State is up to 4 transfers including Tyreke Key.

What we need to find is a way to get where UNI is. Zero transfers.  I'd settle for where Belmont, Murray, Southern Illinois and Bradley are with one transfer each.  That's a combination of coaching style and players chosen to begin with.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I'm gonna wait to see where we end up with either just these two or how many more if any.

I liked Edwards a lot but, as many people on this board have commented before, he didn't always play like he was working with the team (too many late shots, trying to singlehandedly win the game etc etc) if that's the type of player he wants to be than good on him for recognizing that and not trying to be a square peg in a round hole. Same for Young. Now,  I think there's something to be said for "why couldn't the coaching staff get him on board or bring him along or come up with a different scheme" and I think that warrants some consideration. Lottich seems to be pretty inflexible when it comes to his system and it's clear players get playing time based on how much they just keep their mouth shut and play.  My guess is: when yourteam wins it's easier to get player buy in, when it's not happening than players aren't going to be happy (could also speak to what has been happening on the women's team this year where many commentators indicated that Evans seems unwilling to make changes). It's clear that the soft skills of team management seem to be a weak spot for this coaching staff right now.

We also don't know if maybe there was an honest conversation between Edwards and the coaching staff where he was encouraged to look elsewhere. It wouldn't make sense to us on paper maybe, but if it's clear the fit wasn't there....

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on March 23, 2022, 09:51:38 AMWe also don't know if maybe there was an honest conversation between Edwards and the coaching staff where he was encouraged to look elsewhere. It wouldn't make sense to us on paper maybe, but if it's clear the fit wasn't there....
When some posters mention that there should be some conversation with the staff and players with some players encouraged to look elsewhere, they probably don't think that the conversation may be as above as well.

JD24

Quote from: VU2014 on March 23, 2022, 08:54:07 AMSheldon probably saw the success JFL had and Nick Robinson and decided to move on.
If Edwards saw anything comparable in a basketball sense from JFL to he, he's completely delusional.

tiny707

More transfers to come. You can book it. I still stand at my five plus Emil early graduate.

tjn2004

I don't want lame duck Mark doing the exit interviews as he was part of the problem...

If Padilla is as serious as he played in that video, he should reach out to these transfers.  It might be enlightening.

AB

Too much freedom given to some players past and present on the court.  Allowed Sackey too many mistakes etc..JFL was super high IQ, new how to play in the system and was allowed his own freedoms. Players need defined roles, how to use their talents with in the system. Sheldon improved on that this year, but lacked some basketball IQ in crucial situations. Bakari Evelyn mentioned similar thoughts on his role, positioning. He felt out of position. At Iowa he was not looked at to be the main guy, but looked comfortable on the court in his role. What was Eron Gordon's role this year? He should have been consistently 3 and D. If Young was healthy enough to play, that was an enormous mistake not playing him. He was prolly about the most athletic guy on the team. He may or may not have left this year, but he would have helped us win a game or 2 and developed as a player. Jay Wright stoped worrying about recruiting the most talented guy and focused more on recruiting guys that fit his "culture".

chgovalpofan

I agree that this is just the beginning.  It is sad situation.  How to you support a program without supporting its coach?  The boys need the love of the fans.  If fans leave them, then why would anyone come here.  But we have one or unfortunately two with our current coach because I don't think he has the grace to step down.  I am beginning to think his competitive nature (desire to personally win) is blinding him to the fact that he is just not good at this.