• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2022, 09:14:42 AM

What we need to find is a way to get where UNI is. Zero transfers. 

Noah Carter of UNI is transferring per Verbal Commits as of today (3/23).

In the long run,  winning fixes much of the transfer issue. If players know they are likely to win, it makes it much easier to stay. Of course, some will still transfer to be closer to home, to get more playing time, or to play in a power conference. The big problem is if VU is seeing more than average transfers as compared to its peers over time. Remember that players like Casey Schmidt and Brandon Wood began their careers elsewhere.

valpotx

This is for PO -

It's a generational thing.  Gen Z has commitment issues :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

I'm not sure what Edwards is looking for in a transfer. If he wants to be closer to home I can understand it. If he transfers to another mid-major outside Florida/Georgia/Alabama then what's the point.  I don't see his skill level as one that would star at a P5 school so if he wants to be a bench player like so many guys that have transferred up from Valpo over the years (I'm talking to you Smits, Sorolla etc.) well, ok. That would tell me it's a coaching/program issue and a continuation of the reasons we had mass transfers last year. Same for Young whom I was really looking forward to watching next year. If he transfers to a school closer to Oklahoma, I'd chalk it up to homesickness, and that's not on the coaches. But if he ends up outside the southwest, then it is. The only way this program can move out of, at best, mediocrity is to keep it's best players together for more than one-two years. We are not Kentucky. We can't bring in an almost new team of 4/5 star players every year who can get by on talent alone and make the NCAA tournament almost every year. We need a program that instills loyalty in it's players so they can build towards success over time. We can't be successful rebuilding a team from scratch every year.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpo95 on March 23, 2022, 07:53:36 PMNoah Carter of UNI is transferring per Verbal Commits as of today (3/23).

In the long run,  winning fixes much of the transfer issue. If players know they are likely to win, it makes it much easier to stay

These two comments don't seem to fit together.  Noah Carter's transfer sends notice that even starters on teams that are in the top tier of the MVC can be malcontented with their current situation.  Carter entered the portal for a few days last year as well; I guess that he didn't get the attention that he wanted last year. Maybe he can find the equivalent of DePaul near Dubuque.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

The new reality of college basketball is you're going to deal with transfers each and every year. Some going in, some going out. Where we run into trouble is each year 3-5 of our top 8 players head out. You have to have some continuity on the mid major level. For example, current tourney darling St Peters: Top six scorers are either juniors or seniors.

valpo95

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 24, 2022, 06:07:06 AM
Quote from: valpo95 on March 23, 2022, 07:53:36 PMNoah Carter of UNI is transferring per Verbal Commits as of today (3/23).

In the long run,  winning fixes much of the transfer issue. If players know they are likely to win, it makes it much easier to stay

These two comments don't seem to fit together.  Noah Carter's transfer sends notice that even starters on teams that are in the top tier of the MVC can be malcontented with their current situation.  Carter entered the portal for a few days last year as well; I guess that he didn't get the attention that he wanted last year. Maybe he can find the equivalent of DePaul near Dubuque.

Perhaps they don't entirely fit together.

I have no knowledge of the Noah Carter situation, just was responding to the previous post that said, "What we need to find way to get to where UNI is. Zero transfers." Now it is one transfer of a very good player for UNI. At least in recent years, UNI has done a better job keeping players than has Valpo. Part of that is due to UNI's winning record over that time.

The bottom line is that transfers happen for many reasons. I agree with NativeCheesehead's post that mid majors need continuity, keeping most of their best players to remain competitive.

vu72

The portal is red hot, now up to 726 and the latest is Micah Thomas, a part time starter at Indiana State.  ISU now up to 5 in the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

You can add Trey Woodyard now.

VUBBFan

Quote from: nkvu on March 23, 2022, 10:16:05 PMI'm not sure what Edwards is looking for in a transfer. If he wants to be closer to home I can understand it. If he transfers to another mid-major outside Florida/Georgia/Alabama then what's the point.  I don't see his skill level as one that would star at a P5 school so if he wants to be a bench player like so many guys that have transferred up from Valpo over the years (I'm talking to you Smits, Sorolla etc.) well, ok. That would tell me it's a coaching/program issue and a continuation of the reasons we had mass transfers last year. Same for Young whom I was really looking forward to watching next year. If he transfers to a school closer to Oklahoma, I'd chalk it up to homesickness, and that's not on the coaches. But if he ends up outside the southwest, then it is. The only way this program can move out of, at best, mediocrity is to keep it's best players together for more than one-two years. We are not Kentucky. We can't bring in an almost new team of 4/5 star players every year who can get by on talent alone and make the NCAA tournament almost every year. We need a program that instills loyalty in it's players so they can build towards success over time. We can't be successful rebuilding a team from scratch every year.

The Paul Oren's Victory Bell interviews ( if you want to keep up with VU sports subscribe to his site. It's worth it) are very telling why they transferred. Seems Sheldon was uncomfortable with the system as it pertained to him and not allowing him to play his game, along with how he was subbed in and out. Per Vivtory Bell he wants to "be somewhere that I can play my game". Said being closer to home not a factor in leaving. There for I take it he was not happy with Matt's scheme of play calling/system and how he was used.

To me it seems Young felt the same as Sheldon. He stated in the same interview "I see my game being a lot like Shell and seeing how the subbing was going, I didn't really see it changing with me". Sounds like he wants to be a main starter and focus on a team. Being closer to home doesn't seem to be a priority either. Shame he couldn't play more and maybe he would have had a different view. I think if he had stayed he might have become a main cog and go to guy, but we will never know now. To me his leaving was bigger than Sheldon. One year with essentially no playing time and the potential to be an impact player for us.

Both players said they liked the school along with the other players and coaches. I take it they didn't like the system and it's results of losing (a winning record may have changed their minds). So until we start having winning seasons I see the transfer portal as an big open avenue for players to exit the team.

VU2014

vu72

Woodyard isn't a loss and should move down a level.  Such a great shooter who couldn't ever get his shot off.  My guess is that if Conner makes it back that the handwriting was on the wall regarding playing time.  He made 5 3's in 27 game appearances.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2022, 11:23:34 AM
Woodyard isn't a loss and should move down a level.  Such a great shooter who couldn't ever get his shot off.  My guess is that if Conner makes it back that the handwriting was on the wall regarding playing time.  He made 5 3's in 27 game appearances.

When I saw his name, I thought that he could be counted as a player counseled into the portal by the coaching staff.  In addition to his struggles on offense, he just couldn't guard his man in our conference.  I hope he lands in a spot where he can shine.
Beamin' Beacons

humbleopinion

I don't think this was mentioned; Murray State's coach, Matt McMahon, has transferred to LSU.  I wonder if the team will stick around when the new coach is named
Beamin' Beacons

chgovalpofan

I thought Woodward was young and had a lot of potential. This year, the league was filled with players who had played for 6 years.  Trevor was 24.  A huge difference.   I think he could have been a contributor with some extra muscle.  The game is so much faster than HS.  For some, it takes a few years to adjust. But we need the administration to identify and fix the problems.  We obviously have a leak or two.  We can only speculate on its location, although it appears quite obvious.

I am a little disappointed that someone actually posted so many specifics from Paul's article.    Let Paul have his little domain of information that he gets paid to reveal.  He certainly works for it.

chgovalpofan

Not that this has anything definitively to do with the transfers, but it probably didn't help.  There were A LOT of students whose One Cards were disabled on Sunday for not have the covid booster. This denied them access to the dorms, classrooms and food service. I am  pro vaccine, but given the current state of the virus, this was probably not the appropriate way to ensure compliance. If I was on the bubble, and they locked me out my dorm, it would definitely push me over. 

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2022, 11:23:34 AM

He's a freshman. You can't expect much but I really like his potential. He's a D1 player for sure. He's the type a guy you'd love stay and develop but wouldn't get instant minutes

JD24

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 24, 2022, 11:04:23 AM"be somewhere that I can play my game". Said being closer to home not a factor in leaving. There for I take it he was not happy with Matt's scheme of play calling/system and how he was used
He didn't like how he was used when there were times, particularly early in the year, when I was thinking to myself "get his ass out of there"?

I'm all for a coaching change however some of these guys really need a dose of reality.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2022, 02:00:10 PMHe's a freshman. You can't expect much but I really like his potential

Tell it to the non-scholarship guy who ended up being a starter.  There are lots of freshman who are productive and not just the Alec Peters of the world.  I agree that freshman typically need development but I really think a kid like Darius has a much higher ceiling.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2022, 02:28:14 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2022, 02:00:10 PMHe's a freshman. You can't expect much but I really like his potential

Tell it to the non-scholarship guy who ended up being a starter.  There are lots of freshman who are productive and not just the Alec Peters of the world.  I agree that freshman typically need development but I really think a kid like Darius has a much higher ceiling.

Yes, Preston was impressive but guys instantly contributing as freshman probably isn't the best standard.

Maybe it should be because so many guys transfer these days, that you want guys who have experience and can instantly contribute because there is so much risk of guys not stuck around 4 years, but look at a guy like Howard Little who barely saw the court his freshman year and ended up being a key player in his upperclassmen years . I get it, it's a different era and guys don't stick around for quite as long.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/howard-little-1.html

valpotx

Trey would do well at a low mid-major in D1.  I echo being too slow at this point in his development, both in footwork and in shot release.
"Don't mess with Texas"

tiny707

I hope we are all over Matthew Mors who is transferring from WI.

crusader05

We are at 3 open then right?

Max and Trevor are stepping in for Trevor/Kevion so these 3 transfers are 3 open spots?

Be interesting to see if they go for an underrecruited high school senior, a DII move up or something else.

VU2014

Wouldn't shock me if the coaches go heavy on experience in terms of recruiting. The writing is on the wall and this is as hot as a seat can get at Valpo with a new AD coming in and a new President who has seen Matt's teams play for the last 1.5 years and has openly stated he doesn't want to be a doormat.

If there is an out in the contract after next season it will likely be used to fire him.

Matt Lottich will try to recruit guys who are instant contributors this offseason. Self preservation mode and make himself look as best as possible for the next job.

Piledriver

"I hope we are all over Matthew Mors who is transferring from WI."

____

No chance. He's homesick and heading home to S. Dakota. He's made that pretty clear.

chgovalpofan

Given Matt's inabilities, he would be wise to continue the trend of experienced contributors. The portal is actually our friend. Look for D2 standouts looking for fifth year like Kevion or even the JC standout. Bradley did well here.  Valpo has a lot to offer.  It seems like most of the boys who come to play here, even if they do leave, still have a close connection with the university, or at least theirteammates.  Look at JFL, Sacky, and even Donavon.  We need to build on that.