• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

tiny707

How about getting these transfers:

1.) SG, Garrett Covington from Youngstown State, Carmel, IN, Bosco Institute.
2.) SG, Tyre Eady, ND State, from Middleton, WI.
3.) SG, De Andre Gholston, Milwaukee University, Gary, IN.
4.) SG, Courvoisier McCauley, De Paul University, from Indy, Redemption Christian Academy.
5.) SG, Zion Young, Oakland University, Simeon High School, Chicago, IL

valpotx

North Dakota State has something going on, as they have like 5-6 transfers.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2022, 05:47:50 PM

My supposition is that transferring is easy it is Fargo, ND in the winter and they finished 2-16 dead last in the Summit.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: historyman on March 25, 2022, 08:10:50 PM

My supposition is that transferring is easy it is Grand Forks, ND in the winter and they finished 2-16 dead last in the Summit.

That was the University of North Dakota.  NDSU was second in the Summit League at 23-10 (13-5)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2022, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 25, 2022, 08:10:50 PM

My supposition is that transferring is easy it is Grand Forks, ND in the winter and they finished 2-16 dead last in the Summit.

That was the University of North Dakota.  NDSU was second in the Summit League at 23-10 (13-5)

You are correct. I did confuse North Dakota State with North Dakota.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

humbleopinion

The MVC New-Comer of the Year wants to have the chance to win that honor again in a different conference; Bradley's Terry Roberts is in the portal.

I wonder if the NCAA will review this rule.  It has to have shifted how coaches look at building a team.  There is really no reason for a mid-major to recruit a high schooler with a strong upside that needs development.  All players recruited need to be able to contribute immediately, because in the longer term it can be presumed that they will be gone.

The Peacocks' win last night was important for demonstrating to players that there is a route to success outside of the P5.  Still, the money to be made through NIL may tempt athletes to larger markets or to teams who have supporters willing to attract high performers.
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

Steve Prohm returns to coach Murray State.

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 24, 2022, 11:49:08 AM
I don't think this was mentioned; Murray State's coach, Matt McMahon, has transferred to LSU.  I wonder if the team will stick around when the new coach is named

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on March 26, 2022, 08:43:08 AM

I don't think this was mentioned; Murray State's coach, Matt McMahon, has transferred to LSU.  I wonder if the team will stick around when the new coach is named

Prohm is another example of a very successful mid-major coach who struggled at the high major level.  It's just a different level and different pressures from wealthy alumni.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

It is time for some of us to quit bashing Valpo like we are one of only a few schools in the on-going movement of players in the transfer portal.  It happens every year to many, many schools, and the
players move for a variety of reasons.  The rule is ridiculous and should be eliminated.  It doesn't seem to matter if the respective school has a good winning record,  mediocre record or a poor won and loss record.  It is time to quit kissing these players --- and get on with a good rule/rules for transfer.  Example: Charlie Moore, guard for Miami, is now at his 4th or 5th school.  It's a joke.  Somed schools benefit in getting transfers while others suffer when new players transfer in.  It is another whole new coaching dimension that today's coaches have to deal with.  Could we really have expected a better season outcome this past year when at times we started 4 or maybe even 5 players who never played together before and they all came from different schools and systems?  Some coaches handled this problem better than others but many couldn't get the job done...Matt was one of those having trouble getting it put together but he sure wasn't alone in dealing with it.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2022, 09:22:56 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 26, 2022, 08:43:08 AM

Prohm is another example of a very successful mid-major coach who struggled at the high major level.  It's just a different level and different pressures from wealthy alumni.

I think we have a 3-0 record against Prohm but I'm not expecting that dominance to continue.  :(

David81

The transfer portal is making a mockery of the idea of the student-athlete. This is becoming complete free agency, with no obligation to a school beyond the current year. It's an annual blend of trade-up and musical chairs.

Let's not forget that a full scholarship is part of the deal, too...the kind of money that serious students from modest backgrounds would bleed to get.

And I'm sorry, but the endless array of tweets about consulting God and family as explanation for transferring leave me cold -- unless, of course, God pointed them to School A and then a year or two later to School B, in which case I missed that piece in Sunday School.  ;D

Just venting a bit.

valpotx

Exactly, the people that say that the cost of a free education is not worth it, have no desire to actually use their education.  Every other student would love to have that full ride.  You can say that the NCAA makes a ton of money from Football and Men's Basketball, but those revenue sports support all other NCAA sports.  Unless you are a P5 raking in money, it isn't like these are huge profit centers, either.  All of it gets reinvested back to students and athletes, outside of the very highly paid coaches out there. 

With this current system, you get guys that view low and mid-major schools as their Juco, stay 1-2 years, and hope for better.  They never really buy into the program, as they already have this plan in mind.  If it doesn't work out for them personally, they sour the mood in the team room, and burn the program on the way out (Clay).
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2022, 04:08:12 PM
Exactly, the people that say that the cost of a free education is not worth it, have no desire to actually use their education.  Every other student would love to have that full ride.  You can say that the NCAA makes a ton of money from Football and Men's Basketball, but those revenue sports support all other NCAA sports.  Unless you are a P5 raking in money, it isn't like these are huge profit centers, either.  All of it gets reinvested back to students and athletes, outside of the very highly paid coaches out there. 

With this current system, you get guys that view low and mid-major schools as their Juco, stay 1-2 years, and hope for better.  They never really buy into the program, as they already have this plan in mind.  If it doesn't work out for them personally, they sour the mood in the team room, and burn the program on the way out (Clay).

It would be one of the manifestations of the way Missouri State handled the transfers if Keaton Hervey transferred to Valpo. They are very vulnerable but I don't think in any way Hervey will come to Valpo.  Of course Valpo is vulnerable too but our team didn't deserve the Clay traitorous decision and it's now extremely clear why a lot of conferences won't allow transfers within a conference.

usc4valpo

Really good comments and the transfer rule needs to be reevaluated.
A few things:
The term student-athlete, particularly at the P5 schools, is an oxymoron. No player at Duke, USC or Stanford would ever make general admission standards.
I would propose if a coach leaves, the player can transfer without waiting a year.
64 is right, the transfer dilemma is happening at all schools. That being said, this should not prevent the discussion that head coach and the team needs to be held accountable to perform better.

valpo64

usc4valpo, I agree on the accountability thing w/o a doubt.

humbleopinion

By this time last year, all of our transfers had entered the portal.  Let's hope that this year's team has followed that model.

If that's the case, then this thread can shift to replacing players rather than lamenting their loss.
Beamin' Beacons

mj

According to Twitter, Young has heard from: Oral Roberts, Jacksonville State, Omaha, Southern Indiana, and Louisiana Monroe

Edwards has interest from: FAU, FIU, USF, Stetson, Grand Canyon, Santa Clara, Loyola Chicago, BYU, App State, Duquesne, Charlotte, Loyola Marymount, Indiana State, Georgia State.

I believe that we will win.

valpopal

Quote from: mj on March 28, 2022, 10:21:13 AM
According to Twitter, Young has heard from: Oral Roberts, Jacksonville State, Omaha, Southern Indiana, and Louisiana Monroe

Edwards has interest from: FAU, FIU, USF, Stetson, Grand Canyon, Santa Clara, Loyola Chicago, BYU, App State, Duquesne, Charlotte, Loyola Marymount, Indiana State, Georgia State.

None of those programs mentioned so far would be a step up for Young, but a step down. It would be interesting if Edwards wound up at Loyola or we got to see how he would do coached by Bryce at Grand Canyon.

oklahomamick

What are you talking about.  More than half of those mentioned are a step up.  You living in the past. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Yeah Jacksonville made it to the NCAA tournament this year

vok22

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 28, 2022, 01:40:06 PMWhat are you talking about.  More than half of those mentioned are a step up.  You living in the past.

For young ??? No. Oral Robets the past 3 years maybe but far from sustained. This isn't just about what team had the better record last year. It's about competition and exposure. All of those conferences are steps down as far as competition and expose.

Quote from: 96 on March 28, 2022, 02:01:35 PM[size=78%] Yeah Jacksonville made it to the NCAA tournament this year [/size]

[/size]
[/size][size=78%]They also lost to us. [/size]

humbleopinion

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 28, 2022, 01:40:06 PMMore than half of those mentioned are a step up.

I'll give you Oral Roberts and Jacksonville State were rated higher than VU at the end of the season (though their conferences certainly weren't, and Keyondre was concerned about that), but what would be the third?  Southern Indiana, which hasn't played a game in D1 yet?
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

Maybe D2 Southern Indiana may be better than Valpo right now. I would guarantee Northwest Missouri State would defeat Valpo by double digits.

valpotx

I think that FAU, FIU, or Stetson, make sense for Sheldon.  As much as I hate to say it, Young should go to ORU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

There all a better school if it comes with game time