• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference games 2019-2020 season

Started by tiny707, March 13, 2019, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

200K is a drop in the bucket in MBB these days.
If we want decent home and home out of conference games, we need to clean up the ARC.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VALPO LI on July 28, 2019, 08:32:04 AM
If true what if we (take a portion) of the $$$ and buy a home game with a good midmajor like Vermont, Dayton, Davidson.  DePaul or Marquette would be great at home but may be to pricey.  I read UNI bought Stony Brook to come into Cedar Falls last December.

Stony Brook isn't anywhere near the level of those schools you mentioned.  Vermont might do a home and home with Valpo, but I would be surprised if they would do a guarantee game considering how good they've been as a program.  If Valpo can consistently make the tourney, then Davidson for a H&H in the future (Vandy is doing a H&H with Davidson starting this season).  The others to even be an option in the future, a lot will have to change.

vufan75

Agreed USC. Even though the atmosphere is great when the ARC is filled and rocking, it definitely needs to be brought up to current standards. That will help the "fan experience" overall and maybe help attract other programs who are used to playing in more modern venues (if that matters).  Probably not P6 schools but at least decent mid-majors. We need decent mids on the schedule more than ever with dwindling chances to play P6 schools outside of preseason tournaments. We need to get away from playing non D1 schools to fill in the schedule. Just my 2 cents.
I'm hoping the powers that be and decision makers heard the fans who responded back to the survey last spring. I'd love to hear what the results were...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

justducky

If our departed seniors had all returned healthy and with the right attitudes then this Vandy act of cowardice would be greatly resented. With all the uncertainty surrounding our rebuild I just find their decision to be baffling. In my mind Vandy could have come here early with a 65+% chance of leaving with a win and maybe a BIG win. But no -Coach Gutless will take no chances and wants out to make sure his ass is fully protected. Besides, Bryce was obviously a mistake and any memory of past mistakes must be eliminated!  :banghead: Him pissing on Bryce like that just adds insult to injury!

usc4valpo

Bryce or any coach not winning a conference game will lead to a departure - except maybe at  Bryce Drew getting fired at Vanderbilt was not at all surprising or unjustified.

VU2014

I don't think Coach Lottich needs to win the conference to keep his job this up coming season. Just be competitive and make his bosses believe that we're headed in the right direction. The team needs to show that there is potential to compete for a Conference title in the following season or two.

Many fans won't be believers in Lottich till he wins and proves it to them, which is fair to a degree. I'm just a little worn out from the #firelottich crowd, which some are almost to the point of rooting for his demise. We haven't seen this new squad play one minute, so it's way too early for that amount of negativity in my book.

M

AD is quoted saying an sEC team is coming...is he going to look silly? Is one still coming? Will anybody even really care?

valpospartan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 27, 2019, 09:53:33 AM
The money should immediately go toward the ARC, 200k doesn't fix everything but it's a good chunk toward the LED lighting so the court doesn't look awful on TV.
FIX THE DARN PA SYSTEM FIRST.

valpo64

FWalum

I know that PA system has been a long time problem, it really doesn't bother me that much.  For the over arching production (both TV and in house), atmosphere and actual shooting accuracy the LED lighting would have to be higher on my list. We could resume doing the black out team introductions and other special lighting things I have seen at other arenas.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

Valpo needs to either consider a total facility rework or quit being so damn cheap and provide proper lighting, PA and AC. It is ridiculous a $57K tuition plus room-and-board a year university cannot afford this. Be a player and lets move forward!

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on July 26, 2019, 10:00:34 PM
If true what a shame. I was looking forward to us playing even though Bryce was gone. Another bad part of this scenario is that to fill up the date do we stoop to going low mid major or non D1 because timing has given us few options?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1154918524843749378

Can they use the money for ARC Air Conditioning? That would be a nice start towards getting the money needed to cool of that place.

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on July 29, 2019, 10:51:45 AM
I know that PA system has been a long time problem, it really doesn't bother me that much.  For the over arching production (both TV and in house), atmosphere and actual shooting accuracy the LED lighting would have to be higher on my list. We could resume doing the black out team introductions and other special lighting things I have seen at other arenas.
I agree FWAlum; lighting first.  The overhead court lights are so dim that either the lighted sideline signs have to be overexposed or the court has to be underexposed.  It looks bad.  Really dark-skinned players lack facial details everywhere on the court and everybody else is slightly silhouetted when the scorer's table is behind them.  If I'm not mistaken, it seems that when the broadcasting pros came in, they would have the sideline lighting dimmed so that the court could be properly exposed.  Was I imagining that?

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpower on July 29, 2019, 01:07:15 PM
Quote from: FWalum on July 29, 2019, 10:51:45 AM
I agree FWAlum; lighting first.  The overhead court lights are so dim that either the lighted sideline signs have to be overexposed or the court has to be underexposed.  It looks bad.  Really dark-skinned players lack facial details everywhere on the court and everybody else is slightly silhouetted when the scorer's table is behind them.  If I'm not mistaken, it seems that when the broadcasting pros came in, they would have the sideline lighting dimmed so that the court could be properly exposed.  Was I imagining that?

Totally agree on the lighting (but wouldn't mind it being bundled with a new sound system).  I mentioned this once before, but I'll repeat myself. Installing LED fixtures is a  very smart investment, because they pay for themselves in a very short time. Lambeau Field replaced all their field lighting last summer. It will be paid for in 1.5 years from the savings they are realizing.

VU2014

every thread leads back to facilities at one point or another.

VALPO LI

Quote from: IrishDawg on July 28, 2019, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on July 28, 2019, 08:32:04 AM
If true what if we (take a portion) of the $$$ and buy a home game with a good midmajor like Vermont, Dayton, Davidson.  DePaul or Marquette would be great at home but may be to pricey.  I read UNI bought Stony Brook to come into Cedar Falls last December.

Stony Brook isn't anywhere near the level of those schools you mentioned.  Vermont might do a home and home with Valpo, but I would be surprised if they would do a guarantee game considering how good they've been as a program.  If Valpo can consistently make the tourney, then Davidson for a H&H in the future (Vandy is doing a H&H with Davidson starting this season).  The others to even be an option in the future, a lot will have to change.

Quote from: VU2014 on July 29, 2019, 07:47:43 PM
every thread leads back to facilities at one point or another.

Not promoting a game against Stony Brook (24-9) second in the American East behind Vermont,  with a Net ranking of 155, (which is 1 spot lower than Vanderbilt). ;)
But rather to just take the money and buy a good home game on a Saturday night when students are on campus. Yes we have been reading about the poor quality sound system, lack of good lighting, sub par facilities for a long, long, long time now.  That probably will not change by November.  Soon our schedule will be released and we as fans will be frustrated with the lack of good quality home games (although I feel we have 2 great ones already).  Take the money and buy a good home game!!!!! My  :twocents:
Shine on Vu

IrishDawg

Quote from: VALPO LI on July 29, 2019, 08:58:31 PM

Not promoting a game against Stony Brook (24-9) second in the American East behind Vermont,  with a Net ranking of 155, (which is 1 spot lower than Vanderbilt). ;)
But rather to just take the money and buy a good home game on a Saturday night when students are on campus. Yes we have been reading about the poor quality sound system, lack of good lighting, sub par facilities for a long, long, long time now.  That probably will not change by November.  Soon our schedule will be released and we as fans will be frustrated with the lack of good quality home games (although I feel we have 2 great ones already).  Take the money and buy a good home game!!!!! My  :twocents:

Improving facilities is a much better investment of those funds than a buy game, IMO. Should be interesting to see who winds up on the schedule. Usually released in late August.

VALPO LI

Improving facilities is a much better investment of those funds than a buy game, IMO. Should be interesting to see who winds up on the schedule. Usually released in late August.

[/quote]
Ok now it's time to promote Stony Brook :dance: :)
If we get a H and H I'll throw a big Valpo Tailgating party in the Seawolf parking lot and we can talk about facilities over many many beers :cheers:
Shine on Vu

usc4valpo

Valpo should be able to accommodate improved lighting and a PA system. It is embarrassing.

VUGrad1314

Here's the problem we have with Lottich: he is in year 4 of a 5 year contract which means this is the year we have to decide on an extension (it is awkward to have a coach go into a lame duck year and is not good for recruiting either so a decision really has to be made this year, I actually do think he needs to win the conference or at least come within like 2 games of winning the conference and finish in the top 3 to keep his job. If we only improve to say 5th-7th place we can obviously say that progress is being shown but the problem is would that really be enough to justify an extension? This year is going to be a test of what the administration is willing to accept from this basketball program and the kind of program we want to be in the MVC. Will we strive for excellence and to become a top member or are we content with also-ran status for the foreseeable future? All eyes are on ML and MLB at this critical moment because this will likely impact the fanbase's attitude towards the team as well and future attendance.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 01, 2019, 12:50:54 AM
Here's the problem we have with Lottich: he is in year 4 of a 5 year contract which means this is the year we have to decide on an extension (it is awkward to have a coach go into a lame duck year and is not good for recruiting either so a decision really has to be made this year, I actually do think he needs to win the conference or at least come within like 2 games of winning the conference and finish in the top 3 to keep his job. If we only improve to say 5th-7th place we can obviously say that progress is being shown but the problem is would that really be enough to justify an extension? This year is going to be a test of what the administration is willing to accept from this basketball program and the kind of program we want to be in the MVC. Will we strive for excellence and to become a top member or are we content with also-ran status for the foreseeable future? All eyes are on ML and MLB at this critical moment because this will likely impact the fanbase's attitude towards the team as well and future attendance.

What's our budget for a HC?  If it's under $400k then attracting a future coach has a lot of limitations.

Flat out, we don't have a track record of paying up for athletics so how is more turmoil by firing Lottich going to help our program?  Sometimes stability in a small program like ours is the best we can ask for.  Top 4 and he stays.  5-6 and he's on the hot seat.  7-10 and he's gone.

usc4valpo

applying a demand to win the MVC or get fired is a little ridiculas. Lottich has issues, but there are worse coaches out there. Look at the DePaul situation.

At a high level, Valpo needs to act like a player in the MVC and quit pretending or assuming to be one.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 01, 2019, 05:33:48 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 01, 2019, 12:50:54 AM

What's our budget for a HC?  If it's under $400k then attracting a future coach has a lot of limitations.

Flat out, we don't have a track record of paying up for athletics so how is more turmoil by firing Lottich going to help our program?  Sometimes stability in a small program like ours is the best we can ask for.  Top 4 and he stays.  5-6 and he's on the hot seat.  7-10 and he's gone.

I should add that if we start poorly-mediocre but finish strong that's expected of a young team and in that case I'd be ok with 5th or 6th with a win in St Louis.  Either way your passion is contagious VUGrad1314, don't go so long without posting!  Seems like it's been awhile...

IrishDawg

Lottich was paid $257k in the 16-17 season (latest info available), so my guess is it's nowhere near $400k. Bryce was paid just over $500k in his final season, so my guess is that's about where the ceiling would be as things stand now.

EddieCabot

Quote from: M on July 28, 2019, 09:57:56 PM
AD is quoted saying an sEC team is coming...is he going to look silly? Is one still coming? Will anybody even really care?

Where was it stated that an SEC team was coming to the ARC?  I've looked on the Valpo website and can't find anything like this.  I'm sure if what the AD said was no longer true that he would have corrected his earlier statement.