• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Football Non-Game Thread

Started by VULB#62, March 23, 2019, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

I think that's 10 OL who are not new freshmen plus the 4 recruits. So 14 if everyone shows up which is never a given. Weren't there something like 22 on the roster at one point? With injuries inevitable (and the gods have an odd way of focusing on the spots teams can least afford them) it's going to be tough to practice. I wonder if a few position changes could be in order if any of the DLmen are big enough.

Olojo I thought was going to be the next John Guilford but he just never got going. Maybe he had some injuries holding him back.

With all the injuries, who's running the ball?

usc4valpo

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 12, 2019, 10:20:08 PMNo redshirting on the o-line
You can still play in 4 games and redshirt. So my guess is that they could attempt to mix and match the freshmen but, again, that all depends on the number of injuries suffered.

The biggest problem is practicing. 14 is essentially a 2 deep plus 4. So how many are on the scout team? Players get knicked up and need to sit practice out to be ready for games.

valpofb16

O-Line is teetering towards a serious problem

Of the freshman/rfr O'Doherty, Laird, Monahan, Dixon appear to be physically ready

Sprague, Drs, London, Parrish will probably not see snaps so what that means

Outside of Lundberg, Bad, Jarnigan we return Zajac, Byrd, Russell, Biggs that group played a whopping 7 games combined last season!

With three positions held down the other two are very up for grabs next season, I expect coaches to rotate players throughout RG,RT

In terms of Running the ball I've heard on pretty good authority RFr Allison is the real deal. Boxrucker, Early, Cartales are all back but I think Allison could lead team in carries

usc4valpo

It's July and it already looks like a another noncompetitive season for the Crusader. cripes...

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 13, 2019, 07:32:35 AMIn terms of Running the ball I've heard on pretty good authority RFr Allison is the real deal. Boxrucker, Early, Cartales are all back but I think Allison could lead team in carries
Are Cartales and Boxrucker recovered from injury at this point...or expected to be? If they are, it makes things easier. Cartales can run the ball but his best ability may be as a receiver.

Wasn't Haugh looked upon at one point to be able to step in and run the ball pretty well?
As time moves on, I question the previous staff's ability to recruit and retain.

NWIGuy

Regardless of who emerges as The Guy at TB... seems to me that there is significantly more depth at that position than at WR. Will be interesting to see if new staff attempts to do some more stuff with 2 RBs in the game.

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on July 13, 2019, 01:40:41 PMRegardless of who emerges as The Guy at TB... seems to me that there is significantly more depth at that position than at WR. Will be interesting to see if new staff attempts to do some more stuff with 2 RBs in the game.
I agree regarding the WR issue but my point was that Cartales and Boxrucker were both injured fairly significantly last season and if they can't go, the RB isn't all that deep. RB is a position in which your one hit away from your #2 guy all of the time.

valpofb16

WR I think Bingham and Lopez are ready to go immediately , Brewer had a big spring. Koehler, Reese, Gessinger, Larose were rotation guys last season. We don't have a Norberg or even a Catrine but the cupboard isn't bare.  Really need 7 to play 3 here. Hopefully Stablein and Beer can provide insurance. I could see Larose having a big year here, solid impact as a freshman , battled injuries last season.

RB we have a stable essentially three coming in Saunoris, Engle, Curtis. Cartales, Boxrucker, Early, Allison, Haugh are all able bodies. That's 5 to play 2 essentially. My guess is the first four get lionshare of carries.

OL/QB are question marks. I know new staff is high on Nimz and if Jimmy isn't staying for 5 or healthy it might make sense for both parties to move directions.

usc4valpo

There season will be a learning experience for all. this season would be a challenge even for Gil Thorp!

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 14, 2019, 08:33:14 AMWR I think Bingham and Lopez are ready to go immediately , Brewer had a big spring. Koehler, Reese, Gessinger, Larose were rotation guys last season. We don't have a Norberg or even a Catrine but the cupboard isn't bare.  Really need 7 to play 3 here. 
Lopez I can see as more of a high volume WR. While Bingham may turn out to be a fantastic find at WR, I can't count on any one freshman at nearly any position to have an immediate impact. Recall the Indiana WR from a few years ago who was all state but couldn't do anything when he got to Valpo. There's just too much adjustment to make from HS to college in a lot of different areas.

valpofb16

Bingham is coming from the MIC (Top conference in Indiana) as Franz came from a Bloomington school that plays the equivalent of an Indianapolis 2A schedule competition wise.

bbtds

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 14, 2019, 08:35:44 PMa Bloomington school that plays the equivalent of an Indianapolis 2A schedule competition wise.

Bloomington Lighthouse?

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2019, 12:02:23 AM
Quote from: valpofb16 on July 14, 2019, 08:35:44 PMa Bloomington school that plays the equivalent of an Indianapolis 2A schedule competition wise.

Bloomington Lighthouse?
[/quot
Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2019, 12:02:23 AM

Bloomington Lighthouse?
No Franz played at South. Their schedule is much better than a 2A schedule playing in Conference Indiana, not the MIC but a decent 4A/5A conference.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 14, 2019, 08:35:44 PMBingham is coming from the MIC (Top conference in Indiana) as Franz came from a Bloomington school that plays the equivalent of an Indianapolis 2A schedule competition wise.
Arguments about the level of competition aside...Larose played for a team in a tough district in Florida....the issue is can a given freshman be counted on to come in and not only start but be counted on to be a significant piece of the offense. I think that's a tough ask for any freshman and probably something that shouldn't be counted on no matter the position or level of competition the player is coming from.

IndyValpo

Add to the roster DB Nate Soloman who last played at D2 West Liberty in WVA. Listed as a R-SR.

JD24

Played in 9 games with one start last year. 14 tackles.

valpofb16

Salomon certainly helps out our safety depth immediately as it stood before he transferred in:

SS: Booker SR. (2yr st, 3 yr cont), Leach RSSO. (sptm and garbage tm ly)
FS: Scarsella SO.  (1/2 yr st), Duncan (2yr cont)

I would not be surprised if him and Scarsella battled it out during camp with with the winner ending up as opening day starter

JD24

I know a bit about the West Liberty program and the level of player who typically heads there. I would hope that Scarsella would start with Salomon being a depth/ST player.

VULB#62

Me too. Scarsella was a great surprise as a freshman. He is also atypical for DBs in our conference, IMO:  he has BOTH height and range. Usually PFL DBs are shorter with range or taller with limited range. He can cover quite a lot of it ground. And for a freshman he showed some good instincts. I hope Fox's D schemes help him be even better.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 20, 2019, 05:19:45 PMMe too. Scarsella was a great surprise as a freshman. He is also atypical for DBs in our conference, IMO:  he has BOTH height and range. Usually PFL DBs are shorter with range or taller with limited range. He can cover quite a lot of it ground. And for a freshman he showed some good instincts. I hope Fox's D schemes help him be even better.
I agree with the assessment of Scarsella. Coupled with the fact that players in the WLU program are typically not as good on the whole as PFL players....Walsh is in the same league and has gotten crushed by PFL teams recently....and I would hope a player who was a rotational player only in his 4th year wouldn't be able to beat out a player making the jump from freshman to sophomore year at Valpo.

Maybe they brought the player in for inside information on Charleston University....also in the same league as WLU.

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on July 20, 2019, 09:38:15 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 20, 2019, 05:19:45 PMMe too. Scarsella was a great surprise as a freshman. He is also atypical for DBs in our conference, IMO:  he has BOTH height and range. Usually PFL DBs are shorter with range or taller with limited range. He can cover quite a lot of it ground. And for a freshman he showed some good instincts. I hope Fox's D schemes help him be even better.
I agree with the assessment of Scarsella. Coupled with the fact that players in the WLU program are typically not as good on the whole as PFL players....Walsh is in the same league and has gotten crushed by PFL teams recently....and I would hope a player who was a rotational player only in his 4th year wouldn't be able to beat out a player making the jump from freshman to sophomore year at Valpo.

Maybe they brought the player in for inside information on Charleston University....also in the same league as WLU.

I don't doubt you are correct, however West Liberty plays in the Mountain East and Walsh the GMAC. Football wise I would think the MEC is a little better.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on June 27, 2019, 09:02:36 PM
New Commit: Ben Niesner transfer from Portland State, Punter 5-11 180 JR

Roster up to 104
https://goviks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3285

I was checking to see if our new punter was also a holder. Couldn't find anything but check out his bio. Didn't play in HS and looks to be self taught. Beat out a senior last season.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 31, 2019, 11:01:41 AM
Quote from: valpofb16 on June 27, 2019, 09:02:36 PMNew Commit: Ben Niesner transfer from Portland State, Punter 5-11 180 JR Roster up to 104
https://goviks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3285 I was checking to see if our new punter has also a holder. Couldn't find anything but check out his bio. Didn't play in HS and looks to be self taught. Beat out a senior last season.
Seems to me holder's over the last regime ranged from WR's to punters to QBs. Kuramata and Morgan, Ng, Staal are names that come to mind.

VULB#62

This is just some FYI information. Think about it as you will.

[tweet]1157404069104889857[/tweet]

But to me it puts into sharp perspective one private FCS athletic program versus Valpo's. These are donations only to the Bucknell athletic program. The "Proud to be Valpo" drive gets happy over reaching $750K for ALL of Valpo's needs. Granted, PTBV is a one day burst, not an annual total, but still........

Any wonder why Cecchini jumped. I would too. BTW, on Cecchini's most recent  Twitter page he has a picture of NFL QB Ryan Fitzpatrick with him touting how good a coach Dave is. Too bad Ryan was busy the past 5 years. Oops, did I think that out loud?

[tweet]1137035507555287042[/tweet]