• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Football Non-Game Thread

Started by VULB#62, March 23, 2019, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

#23 Gessinger has left the team. Good return guy, was his spot at slot to lose this year. Heard his back up Brewer had a huge spring, wonder if it wasn't his spot to lose anymore

Wish Bailey the best with graduation this year!

NWIGuy

Explosive return man... this is a tough loss.

JD24

Gessinger's a loss. No way to sugarcoat it. Probably not an every down guy in the slot but he was a threat to score at any point and the return game? Good luck finding a guy who can run them back at any point.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 03, 2019, 06:57:07 PM
#23 Gessinger has left the team. Good return guy, was his spot at slot to lose this year. Heard his back up Brewer had a huge spring, wonder if it wasn't his spot to lose anymore

Wish Bailey the best with graduation this year!

Anyone know why?

valpofb16

New roster Addition:

Evan Satoski 6'3 240 DLINE , flipped from Morehead st

valpotx

Does that mean that Gessinger is still at Valpo, but just not playing?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

#40 FB Martin has left the team, makes sense as Edinboro did not have FB on roster and Limbach appears to not use any 2 back sets. Would have been good special team depth.

Wish Brannen the best with graduation!

JD24

Valpo's replacing 21 of the 35 offensive and return(not counting McKeag's flukey PR) TDs from last season between graduation and players leaving team.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 02, 2019, 07:10:53 AM
New Commit: Zane Sprague OL/Center 6'2 330, Watkins Memorial High School, Pataskala OHIO.

National Rank: 4072

Roster up to 105
Has this kid shown up...not currently listed on the roster

valpofb16

Yes,

Satosky and Sprague are on campus, they may have to finish NCAA clearinghouse paperwork before they can be listed on the site. There very well could be 3 or 4 more we don't see until media day. That is by in large when we get the final roster posted.

JD24

https://philsteele.com/2019/08/07/2019-phil-steeles-fcs-preseason-all-american-and-all-conf-teams/

PFL All conference for Valpo

Offense: Jarnagin 2nd team
Defense: Petrie 1st team, Booker 2nd team, Reed 2nd team
Sp. Teams: Latsonas 3rd team.

Gessinger was listed as 2nd team as well.

VULB#62

Want to thank our forum admins for adding the 100th season logo to the Fan Forum banner.   Thanks guys :thumbsup:

valpofb16

Looking at roster it appears we will head into the season with 20 SR/5yr players. Looking back the past ten years

2010: 15
2011: 16
2012: 17
2013: 21
2014: 27
2015: 18
2016: 13
2017: 9
2018: 28
2019: 20

This is the fourth highest total in the last ten years! Is there any school with a worse attrition rate. Also if you expand it to juniors and seniors for the Cecchini era it is

2014: 45
2015: 38
2016: 23
2017: 37
2018: 37

Fox enters with 32 upperclassmen 5 of which he recruited. This also means Cecc would have gone into year 6 with 27 upper class men! I have heard it here many times but I do think we should expect an at best .500 record. We will need patience and Fox entering into a less loaded deck than Cecchini did (say what you will about Carlson but he handed Cecchini a roster with half the team being upper classmen).

Fox's main goal should be pushing to keep a roster of almost 50% upper classmen

I would not be opposed to a heavy JUCO class next year to catch him up

78crusader

The lowest total - 9 in 2017 - was the year we finished 6-5.

Paul

valpofb16

Paul while I realize this we had

QB: All conf play from a sophomore
RB: 2 year starter-Senior backed up by two sophomores
TE: 3 year starter-Senior
OL: Five upperclassmen (six rotating in)
WR: 4 upperclassmen and an all conf Freshman

DL: 4 upperclassmen
LB: 2 upperclassmen and a soph
DB: 3 juniors and a Redshirt senior (Scargle rotated)

So i stand by my statement that upperclassmen are huge in this league. I will say that season's schedule ended up being a pretty easy one hindsight 20-20

usc4valpo

Ok so there are upperclassmen, but are they any good? I think Valpo was 2-9 last year.

IndyValpo

Roster updated today. Dropped were the previously mentioned Gessinger and Martin plus LB Antoniou, RB Saunoris,
OL O'Doherty.

valpofb16

O Doherty changed numbers, Saunoris walked on during spring last year, Anoniou transferred high schools three times not shocked

Wish Antoniou and Saunoris luck!

JD24

Quote from: 78crusader on August 12, 2019, 01:17:59 PMThe lowest total - 9 in 2017 - was the year we finished 6-5. Paul
That team had a lot of 3rd year players who had played a lot mainly because the numbers from Carlson's last recruiting class and Cecchini's first recruiting class who survived were so low.

NWIGuy

Anyone have a Fall Camp update? Seen a practice?

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on August 14, 2019, 09:48:58 AMAnyone have a Fall Camp update? Seen a practice?
and/or perhaps someone is attending the end of camp scrimmage which I would guess is Saturday? After that, the team should be broken down somewhat into travel/scout and game preparation begins.

valpofb16

#3 Shannon switched to runningback
#82 Conlin switched to tight end

Freshman reps are few and far between

Jimmy the guy at QB and healthy, Cartales/Boxrucker 1-2 at back , Allison change of pace back. Reese may be most improved player on team, Lopez standing out. OL is Lundberg, Vas , Jarnigan, Russell, Byrd L-R, Parrish and Biggs will rotate in. Kluck and Bittner should get equal reps

DLine Reed Gedrys Goebel Twigg starters, Sete, Bishop rotating, Martin's, Satoski have impressed. LB look for a lot of Turner, Peifer, Messler, Poloskey in mix. Gasperoni and Saunders have impressed. DB Scarsrlla and Booker safeties, Leach Mckeag behind them Kelly, Hebda, Leandre, Sherman battling things out. Petrie, Skarecky with Helm rotating at the Cru position

JD24

The best news of valpofb's report is the health of Seewald and the two RBs.

Interesting news about Shannon's position switch. His HS highlights show some ability at RB.

I realize everyone can't play but where are guys such as Earley and Haugh who've been around a while....Earley as a 5th year guy...yet don't appear to be on the depth chart other than likely STs.

Another question I have which maybe cannot or should not be answered is are they using the TEs much. I got the impression from the little video and statistics of Limbach's offense that the TE wasn't a big part of it other than for the run game. IOW lots of 10 personnel.

valpofb16

JD24 great question let's just say don't be shocked to see Bittner as a large Target in 10 personnel split out

Haugh is LS, I could see Earley getting time in the return game

VULB#62

Thanks 16 for your observations. I only wish that VUFB would be more forthcoming with Tweets and daily communication.  They are trying but its been a few days since we have heard from the source. Say what you want, the previous staff was a bit better at getting info out to expectant fans.