• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lottich's Contract

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 21, 2020, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I think you gotta go with 2 years. Lottich does not multiple equivalent or better offers out there.

VUGrad1314

How about this, two years with the possibility of renegotiation for a longer term should the results continue to improve. Like if we contend for the title next year we consider adding another two years to his deal or something?

elephtheria47

But any mid-major coach who has success and stays at the school restructures for a longer contract/more money.  No need to put that as a clause.

You cant handicap him even more by offering a year or 2 year deal. Players typically commit to coaches, not to schools. Any decent recruit is not going to commit to a coach who is in limbo status and who may be gone by the time they arrive on campus or after a season. It comes down to whether Valpo/AD believes ML is still their guy. If he his, show loyalty and commitment, offer the 4 year extension (with decreasing buy outs each passing season). If you believe you can hire a person who can produce better results, then can him.

I do believe our team is young ( as is the coach), and we're going to keep improving. I think we will be locked and loaded by JFL senior year (assuming he is still here). ML can get talent, steadied the ship/cut losses after last season, and the team is still playing hard for him this season. We do have some momentum going and I dont think anyone else would have too much different results with the current affairs of the athletic dept/university right now. Not worth starting over to get same results..let's see what ML is made of in the next 2 years...extend him.

summertt

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

I like him.  Give him 3-5 years.  He can recruit, and that is most of the battle at the mid-major level.  He has shown that he is learning the X's and O's, and making adjustments, otherwise we would never come back in these games.  Some may say that he just lets the team play in those scenarios, but that is him adapting to what works best for the team, at that particular time, and I have seen some really good set plays in the last few games, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

4throwfan

Quote from: valpotx on February 25, 2020, 04:36:57 AM
I like him.  Give him 3-5 years.  He can recruit, and that is most of the battle at the mid-major level.  He has shown that he is learning the X's and O's, and making adjustments, otherwise we would never come back in these games.  Some may say that he just lets the team play in those scenarios, but that is him adapting to what works best for the team, at that particular time, and I have seen some really good set plays in the last few games, as well.

I agree that improvement is there, and is continuing.  Why change, unless you think that the improvement is not fast enough.  That impatience can be dangerous.

If Lottich is continuing to grow and learn, and he is not extended (remember, it takes two to tango), then there will likely be another setback while the next coach acclimates, and Lottich then takes his growth to a new place.  In that event, VU would rightly be considered a development school, and Lottich's next gig would rightly be considered a production school.  For the University to put itself in that position ... that makes no sense to me.

While I do think that Lottich is improving, I do not deny the fact that there are arguments to the contrary.  For example, the team's conference win percentage has gone up each year since joining the MVC.  However, remember that Evansville and IL State have tanked this year.  If they had performed similarly to last year, then many of the other teams in conference would have at least one less victory.  Assuming that VU has two less victories, then the improved performance this year is simply not there.  So, part of the W-L improvement this year could be deemed fortuitous. 

My point is that, although there are arguments that the team has not improved, or it has not improved fast enough, reasonable minds can differ, and it is a very risky maneuver to oust Lottich on the premise that the next coach would improve more or faster.  When the time comes, I think that it makes sense for the University to 'lean in', and extend.

oklahomamick

You think he would get a head coaching job somewhere else after this year?
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

A job upgrade after underperforming at his current one? Who does he think he is, Brian Wardle?     ;D

4throwfan

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 12:37:56 PM

Yes.

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 12:37:56 PM

Like him or not, Wardle will be looking at an improvement within the next 5 years, if his teams continue to improve as they did at Green Bay, and they have so far at Bradley.    In his first two years at Green Bay, Green Bay's in-conference record was 8-10, and then 10-8.  In the final two years at GB, its conference record was 14-2, and then 12-4.  In his first year at Bradley, its conference record was 3-15, and then 7-11.  Last year, its conference record was 9-9, and so far this year it is 10-6.  That is improvement at a lower level school and then a higher level school.  Unless he has another culture blemish or two, he is building a solid resume for moving up again.

I don't know his allegiances, but Bradley might not be his end goal.  Wardle played at Marquette, so he may want to end up there. 

FWalum

Quote from: 4throwfan on February 25, 2020, 01:24:28 PMIn his first year at Bradley, its conference record was 3-15, and then 7-11.  Last year, its conference record was 9-9
I know that people on this board generally don't like Wardle, but I don't think there are too many that wouldn't agree that he has been somewhat successful even if his methods are not the most ethical. Do you think that Bradley was looking to not renew his contract based upon the results of his first 3 years?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

You think Lottich could get a head coaching job somewhere else after this year?
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 02:10:21 PM
You think Lottich could get a head coaching job somewhere else after this year?

You're repeating yourself and yes, He could IF, he does what Wardle did at Green Bay--taking his team to the Conference Championship game.  Matt would have taken his team from last, to second last to playing for a title--in three years.  Yes, he would have interest.

No need for you to ask any further.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

4throwfan

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2020, 01:59:08 PM
Quote from: 4throwfan on February 25, 2020, 01:24:28 PMIn his first year at Bradley, its conference record was 3-15, and then 7-11.  Last year, its conference record was 9-9
I know that people on this board generally don't like Wardle, but I don't think there are too many that wouldn't agree that he has been somewhat successful even if his methods are not the most ethical. Do you think that Bradley was looking to not renew his contract based upon the results of his first 3 years?

I don't know.  It's not possible for me to be more uneducated on Bradley than I am right now.  From an outsider's perspective, I see him improving the record yoy, and therefore being in a position to get a raise at Bradley when the time comes, or looking somewhere else.  Outside of that, I can't predict what either party will want to do at any point in time.

oklahomamick

Welcome back VU72.  That's a big IF.  As of right now, no ifs, I don't see him getting a head coaching position at another D1 school
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

He is improving and still learning. He is worthy of 2, maybe 3 more years.

oklahomamick

Agreed he is still learning.  I think we could have gotten someone that wasn't still learning.  He's going in the right direction.

10th place
9th place
7th place?
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 08:41:20 PMAgreed he is still learning.  I think we could have gotten someone that wasn't still learning.  He's going in the right direction. 10th place 9th place 7th place?

Let's try 5th or 6th? Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

Valpower

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 08:59:35 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2020, 08:41:20 PMAgreed he is still learning.  I think we could have gotten someone that wasn't still learning.  He's going in the right direction. 10th place 9th place 7th place?

We still have a chance to win 20 games.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 25, 2020, 09:34:27 PMFour more years!

Getting hard to argue against this the way we've been playing the past 5 or 6 games. Let's get it done. We said .500 would be a success given everything that has happened. We have now clinched at least that kind of finish. It's time to justly reward the man who has made this possible even amid all of the adversity that this program has faced the past several years. Give Matt Lottich his extension and let's roll! I think some very special times are ahead! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpower on February 25, 2020, 09:41:34 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 08:59:35 PM
We still have a chance to win 20 games.

We can definitely get there if we pursue postseason play which I think we should. The way this team is growing and coming together I think some extra practices and games could be really good for them regardless of the competition. It worked wonders for Loyola. I hope that if we get an invite to play in a postseason tournament that we will accept because the benefits far outweigh the costs to the program in my opinion. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

oklahomamick

We are 1 game above .500! 

What tourney you plan on going too?  They don't have the Vegas 8 anymore. 

I'm happy the team is getting better, and they are better that's not debatable.  I'm excited that we are going in the right direction too.

But really there is only one direction from 10th place two years ago.  And that's 9th place.....Looks like we will finish better than both of those this year. 

UNK hired a proven coach not learning on the job, he won a couple league titles early in his tenure and before you know it hes promoted to coaching at Cincinnati.  We hired a 3rd assistant and took 3 years to finish 6th at best. 

I'm about being patient.  Let's finish the year out before deciding anything.  Win a game In The tournament and I think Matt should get two more years for this project. 

What I do like is the players stayed out of trouble and enjoy each other while loving their coach.  That goes a long way.  They are graduating and like the coach. 
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

Kiser is the 1st 4 year guy to graduate under Lottich and he was a walk-on.    Next year the only 4 year guy will be McMillan who was a real project.   I am curious to know how good the Valpo teams are if Lottich can start getting 2 4 year guys to graduate every year who are contributors from the start.   Think Krikke/Clay going all 4 years or Sackey/JFL going all 4 years.     That is why I am for a 4 year contract.     A legitimate knock on Lottich is that players have transferred, however, the guys this year have all but said over and over that the team is better off without them and that they are happier.

I really think Lottich has shown tremendous improvement this year as a coach.   He is twice the offense coach he was the last 3 seasons.  He is starting to figure out what he is doing and I think he might end up being a great one. 

Just Sayin

After last night's game, we are in 5th place for both offensive and defensive efficiency in conference. That's progress. I've been skeptical of Matt but there is no way he doesn't get a new four or five-year contract.  The team has made huge strides offensively and defensively and is as balanced as it has been for the entire season and the team seems to be playing its best game at the right time.  The wind is at their back and
mo-mo is on their side.  Let's shake things up with a a few more wins beginning Saturday.

mj

I've been tough on Lottich in the past but I'll give him props on this season. It's a better and younger team than last year. And it appears to be a more cohesive team. The future is looking bright.

I believe that we will win.