• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Indiana State 2/29 1:00PM ESPN3 WVUR 95.1

Started by VUBBFan, February 27, 2020, 11:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen and Fans. Make sure you tray tables and seats are in the upright position. We are coming in for the season ending game with Three possible landing spots for the MVC tournament. A calm smooth touch down is not expected, so fasten your seat belts and hold your breaths. Where we land is determined by the following:

Landing spot #1
We win at Indiana State and we are a 4 or 5 seed. Doesn't matter which one because they face off each other on Friday at 2:35PM.

Landing spot #2
We lose and Missouri State loses also, we are a 6 seed and play Friday at 8:35PM

Landing spot #3
We lose and Missouri State wins at home. We are tied and they win the try breaker via NET standings ( unless the are some DNC Caucus people tabulating the final NET standing numbers ). We are the #7 seed and play Thursday 8:35PM

Bad news for us is, Javon is most likely out and Indiana State has only lost once at home this year and Missouri State has only lost 4 times at home.

But in the words of VUGrad1314 - I BELIEVE !!!  GO VALPO !!!

valpopal

At the beginning of the year I mentioned that the low bar for a successful regular conference season would be a top-6 finish and avoidance of the PITS, play in Thursday session. Valpo has an opportunity to reach that minimum level.

justducky

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 27, 2020, 11:49:06 AMLanding spot #1
We win at Indiana State and we are a 4 or 5 seed.

So we lay it all on the line Sat and if victorious have to repeat the process the following Thursday against the same probable opponent.  :o I absolutely hate when this happens almost to the point where I would say no thanks.

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 27, 2020, 11:49:06 AMLanding spot #2
We lose and Missouri State loses also, we are a 6 seed and play Friday at 8:35PM

I like this (probably Bradley) better than facing ISUb twice in 5 days. This holds true even while I consider Bradley to be the better opponent.

Quote from: valpopal on February 27, 2020, 11:56:26 AMLanding spot #3
We lose and Missouri State wins at home. We are tied and they win the try breaker via NET standings

A near certainty that we we play Evansville as the 7 seed and with a win would get another shot at Loyola. :thumbsup: With UNI (our worst set of matchups) likely waiting for the 4 vs 5 winner there could be deep run MVC tourney advantages for being relagated to the 6 or 7 seed. Not that I am recommending we start Pappas, Morrill, and Freese-Vilien but a loss doesn't really spook me pertaining to our prospects in St Louis.

vu72

I watched Indiana State beat up on Southern Illinois last night--on the road.  The game before they beat UNI at home.  With Javon out we will have a really hard time keeping up with their very athletic guards. Will need guys like Zion Morgan to really step it up on the defensive end and for us to stay hot from the 3.  Possible win?  Sure. Probable win? Nope.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpower

Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2020, 02:28:20 PM
I watched Indiana State beat up on Southern Illinois last night--on the road.  The game before they beat UNI at home.  With Javon out we will have a really hard time keeping up with their very athletic guards. Will need guys like Zion Morgan to really step it up on the defensive end and for us to stay hot from the 3.  Possible win?  Sure. Probable win? Nope.
Indiana State is playing the same rotation we faced in our previous win whereas we'll have quite a new look without JFL and with Fazekas and Sackey (whom they didn't see the last time).  Fazekas and Sackey (the latter playing much better of late) will add two modes of attack at the extreme ends of the spectrum that they didn't really have to defend before. The adjustments they try to make to keep Fazekas from lighting it up from the perimeter and Sackey from speeding into the paint will open up interesting possibilities for McMikke and Clay.

The two games we have in common in most-recent play are MSU and SIU; we handily won both, at home, and they split, winning on the road, but losing at home. MSU has the athletes to deal with ISU's guards, but we didn't seem to have any problem with either team's athleticism (perhaps because we underrate our own).  What I wonder is whether our hot perimeter shooting is just a result of the comfort of home or a new normal?

justducky

Quote from: Valpower on February 27, 2020, 04:40:18 PMIndiana State is playing the same rotation we faced in our previous win whereas we'll have quite a new look without JFL and with Fazekas and Sackey (whom they didn't see the last time).

Robinson also didn't play in that game. Being 3 players short is the probable explanation for Siggy Lorange playing 6 minutes thus jeopardizing his red-shirt possibilities. On the other side Kessinger was sidelined then and is now back in the ISUb bench rotation. Net, net we might now have a slight advantage if Robinson is ready to play. On the other hand additional rest might be just what Nick needs to find his tourney mojo? With a chronic back issue should Nick go out and test it?

VUGrad1314

Here's a podcast that talks about ISUb's recent performance from their beat writer. Hat Tip: VU2014. Thanks for tweeting this out and bringing it to my attention.

https://www.tribstar.com/multimedia/down-in-the-valley-podcast-episode-hot-stuff/audio_77884e44-5937-11ea-b6e5-1b944d4ef793.html

4throwfan

Thanks 1314 for hat tipping VU2014, who has brought a lot of information to the board over the years.  Posts have tailed off recently - hope all is well.

VUGrad1314

I try to do it whenever I find something he tweeted. I hope he doesn't mind. I just think the information is good to be shared with the board. I echo your sentiments. I hope that 2014 is doing well as well.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan

Lets win one more to close out the year on a high note, of anther sweep!! And have six days of rest  ;D

M

They've been pretty hot at home. If Valpo can rebound defensively we got a good chance.

talksalot

I'll be there tomorrow.  other than the obvious reasons...with our illnesses and injuries.  it's also senior day at Hulman.  hate to think I'll be on the paying end of a standing lunch bet.

maybe the Insomnia Cookies will be a celebration for us

valpo84

As we've said the past few games, first team to 70 wins, including if game goes to OT. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

GoldenCrusader87

Should be a good one. I had a dream last night that JFL played ... so there's that.

If the guys rally like they did the last time out and Ryan shoots at a high clip with and/or Gordon or someone gets hot from the 3 point line, watch out. Especially if Donovan is involved early and often.

truth219

Gotta get going here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Giving up clean drives to the basket and offensive rebounds. Gotta be better.

truth219

Well so far they are laying a turd. Sackey needs to stop shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Not going to come back in this one without JFL's steals. Disappointing but not unexpected.

nkvu

Not a good first half but we've had worse. Much worse. If Ryan gets his stroke back in the second half we could make it a game. Going to be tough without JFL though.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 29, 2020, 01:39:51 PM
Not going to come back in this one without JFL's steals. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Not good but this team always seems to fight back. It's just so frustrating sometimes.

VUGrad1314

We can do this! All it takes is one good half! Give us the best half of the season and play like the season depends on it because in many ways it does! Come on Valpo! I BELIEVE!

NativeCheesehead

For all my issues with Lottich, his players never quit. We'll fight. Would easily be the biggest win of the ML era if they can pull it off. 

VUGrad1314

I have no idea what it is about Terre Haute but we never seem to play well there... The nice thing is that even with a loss we're not dead... We just need to hope that SIU gets a road win.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: truth219 on February 29, 2020, 01:38:10 PMWell so far they are laying a turd. Sackey needs to stop shooting. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sackey is one of the reasons we're still somewhat in this. This is a biased comment based on his difficult season (that he is beginning to improve on a great deal of late).