• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Loyola Arch Madness in St Louis 6:05 PM 3/6/2020

Started by VUBBFan, March 06, 2020, 09:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: truth219 on March 06, 2020, 07:15:06 PMYour standards are lower than mine...i like winning Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I, too, like winning. Good thing we don't suck!  :thumbsup:

VALPO LI

As quoted from Eron Gordon
"Say What's Good"
Tonight you and the Crusaders are what's good!!!! :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

valpopal

Worth watching: [tweet]1236122707890143232[/tweet]

Chairback

Odd Loyola didn't foul on last play. They had fouls to give.  Porter screwed that up big time. 

oklahomamick

Hoops aside, towards the 14 minute mark of the 1st half the announcers praised Valpo engineering several times.    :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I would think Loyola gets a look from the NIT, so I am not sure why they are talking as if their season is done.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2020, 10:33:52 PMI would think Loyola gets a look from the NIT, so I am not sure why they are talking as if their season is done.

Think so? Their NET is right around that of the last NIT at large team last year (San Diego) actually it's a bit lower and will be even lower now that they're out and can't improve their resume anymore.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2020, 10:33:52 PM
I would think Loyola gets a look from the NIT, so I am not sure why they are talking as if their season is done.

Loyola doesn't think so. Not with UNI likely getting a bid.

Pgmado

Radio issues earlier were completely due to the internet at Enterprise Center being a disaster. Nothing to do with WVUR.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Pgmado on March 06, 2020, 10:41:09 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2020, 10:33:52 PMI would think Loyola gets a look from the NIT, so I am not sure why they are talking as if their season is done.
Loyola doesn't think so. Not with UNI likely getting a bid.

There's no "likely" in it. UNI has a bid to the NIT sewn up as the Regular Season Champion of the MVC. (They're not getting an at large. They're the last team in right now according to Lunardi's projections and there's still regular seasons to finish and lots of conference tournaments to be played. They are sure to fall out of the field.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Pgmado on March 06, 2020, 10:42:49 PMRadio issues earlier were completely due to the internet at Enterprise Center being a disaster. Nothing to do with WVUR.

Thank you for letting me know that. I was depending on that feed tonight and none too pleased that I didn't have it. I wasn't serious about not listening anymore I was just mad at the situation and the fact that things were not going very well for Valpo at the time (though I probably will buy ESPN+ just to be safe :) ). Were you doing color commentary with Todd? You did a nice job!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on March 06, 2020, 09:58:14 PM
Quote from: truth219 on March 06, 2020, 07:15:06 PMYour standards are lower than mine...i like winning Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ah a fellow fan of winning! I see you're a man of culture as well! Cheers!

vu84v2

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2020, 10:16:29 PM
Hoops aside, at the towards the 14 minute mark of the 1st half the announcers praised Valpo engineering several times.    :thumbsup:

I am on a flight for a week's vacation. I was logged on to the wifi to do some work and checked on the game (knowing Valpo was down 14 in the second half when we took off). This sure made our flight more enjoyable!

John Kiser has my vote for best engineering student-athlete in the history of Valparaiso basketball. With all due respect to Dave Leuthy and Seth Colclasure, his improvement over four years and his consistent total effort are truly remarkable.

VUGrad1314

Whoever wanted to play a team coming off a cakewalk win it looks like you'll be getting your wish. Missouri State is in total control right now and it's very late.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 06, 2020, 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2020, 10:16:29 PMHoops aside, at the towards the 14 minute mark of the 1st half the announcers praised Valpo engineering several times.    :thumbsup:
I am on a flight for a week's vacation. I was logged on to the wifi to do some work and checked on the game (knowing Valpo was down 14 in the second half when we took off). This sure made our flight more enjoyable! John Kiser has my vote for best engineering student-athlete in the history of Valparaiso basketball. With all due respect to Dave Leuthy and Seth Colclasure, his improvement over four years and his consistent total effort are truly remarkable.

It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway. We don't win this game without him. We don't even get to overtime without him. He is the example for all of the program and indeed all people in general to emulate! Work hard stay positive and dedicated and good things will happen for you! Go John! You've earned this moment and many more! Great job tonight!

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 06, 2020, 10:48:03 PM
Quote from: PlumStreetBum on March 06, 2020, 09:58:14 PM

Ah a fellow fan of winning! I see you're a man of culture as well! Cheers!

"I love winning man.... I love winning it's like..... better than losing."...Ebbi Calvin (Nuke) LaLoosh

JD24

Not a bulletin here but Kiser played a heck of a game. In the second half he out Krutwigged Krutwig. Sometimes the way you beat a body puncher is simply by punching him first and that's what he was doing.

I hope JFL has some juice left. He looked completely drained and the cumulative effect of mono and the multiple days of games is going to be hard to overcome.

craftyrighthander

Just got home from the game.  Fun to hear most of the other schools cheering for Valpo in overtime. Winning cures a lot doesn't it! 

VUBBFan

Just got back to the hotel after the games and read this thread from the beginning. The first 2 and a half pages were doom and gloom / this team is so bad, never going to follow again! Then the rest of the thread - YEA.

We fans got a little down, but never stopped cheering or believing they could win (although doubt was creeping in a little towards the end). BUT then Kiser refused YES REFUSED to let his career end with this game. The excitement and energy at the end of regulation and overtime was off the charts. This was the most heart pounding emotional game I've ever been to. Wish all of you could have been here for the excitement and watched up close the VU bench, and how the players and coaches were locked in during the time out huddles. This team was focused,, and intense and believed in themselves, even when they were down.

They were not going to go gently into the night. As a result they found a way to WIN! I LOVE this team!

oklahomamick

Another 18 point comeback.  They sure know how to do it.  Don't know how to find it but I'm will to say we lead the NCAA and have the most 16+ comebacks.   
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofamfan

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on March 06, 2020, 11:10:16 PMI hope JFL has some juice left. He looked completely drained and the cumulative effect of mono and the multiple days of games is going to be hard to overcome.

No disrespect to Javon but this team has learned to play without him and win. Always remember and never forget, Valpo beat Missouri State without JFL at the ARC. It takes great efforts from Kiser, Fazekas, Clay, Krikke, Sackey.....etc but as VUGrad1314 has everyone saying by now...........I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

bbtds

Quote from: Valpofamfan on March 07, 2020, 06:23:17 AM
Anyone know why mileek only played 14 minutes?

Fouling much too soon. Missing shots. Better play from other players.

4throwfan

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 07, 2020, 05:34:09 AM
Another 18 point comeback.  They sure know how to do it.  Don't know how to find it but I'm will to say we lead the NCAA and have the most 16+ comebacks.   

I was thinking about this in a little bit different way, and was trying to figure out what the stat would be.  It seems that if NCAA kept a stat for most cumulative points overcome in a season or conference play, Valpo would surely be leading the entire NCAA by a large margin.  It's the story of this season.  Seems that Valpo would average over 10 points overcome per game.  I can't imagine many teams come close to that.

Todd had a great opening comment to Gore to start the post-game interview, and it says it all: "When you were down by 18, you had them right where you wanted 'em."

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2020, 06:51:26 AM
Quote from: Valpofamfan on March 07, 2020, 06:23:17 AM
Anyone know why mileek only played 14 minutes?

Fouling much too soon. Missing shots. Better play from other players.

Coaching decision by ML to have Kiser as the big, as obviously matching big vs. big wasn't working for us.  Genius move that paid off!

Also, it is very cool to see all of the former players chime in on the win, and apparently watching:

https://twitter.com/RBroekhoff45/status/1236296135569965056
https://twitter.com/Doritykid/status/1236198910810603524
https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/1236161489125306368
https://twitter.com/CoachEBuggs/status/1236163206218952704

"Don't mess with Texas"