• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2020-2021

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2020, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 25, 2020, 11:15:26 AM
Could this be our missing link to make Valpo complete?

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1342490204326617088

I want to say Valpo is slowly getting the Type of players they want into the program. Guys coming in can really shoot or at least hopeful they can hit at 35% clip. Our latest commit really is seems to be a knock down guy

NativeCheesehead

Player acquisition, not a problem.
Player development, could be better but not a huge problem.
Player retention, huge problem.

bbtds

Palesse's Waukesha West vs Mukwonago, December 22, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Ct4m_B6Vs

The first 10 minutes or so are the ending of the Waukesha West JV game.

The Varsity game actually begins about the 28 minute mark.

Cameron wears uniform #1.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Waukesha+West+High+School/@42.9681237,-88.349454,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8805a5ab6242b265:0xe40eabca3bc580c5!8m2!3d42.9681198!4d-88.2794162

vu72

Cam is playing the point at 6'4".  Could he be the answer to our point guard issues?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 28, 2020, 08:39:07 AM
Cam is playing the point at 6'4".  Could he be the answer to our point guard issues?

Either or Darius DeAveiro. Quality PG play as a freshman is a big ask for anyone. It's my understanding that Cam is a combo guard who can play both. He's the first scoring option and primarily baller handler for his HS team. But that's how it is for many D1 talents high school.

It's my understanding that Darius is more of a traditional PG. I would say we haven't had a traditional pure PG since Lexus Williams (injuries) in 2016-17 or Keith Carter 2015-16, which is NUTS 🥜 to think about! We've had more of a combo guard running the offense or JFL. Sackey speed makes him unique but sometimes he plays a little out of control because the speed is elite. Maybe Sackey takes another step later this season or next season.

https://youtu.be/A_ZRlVIj6V0

https://youtu.be/MGTLqff5GCw

VUGrad1314

Sackey put up great numbers in high school but he doesn't have the size of either PG recruit in this class. I also doubt we'll see Palasse play much PG. I could see him as more of a secondary ball handler in the offense which every team needs.

VUBBFan

Watching the film on Palasse and DeAveiro I find some interesting differences. Palasse seems to be able to score every well while I don't see too much defense on the other side of the ball. On the other hand DeAeiro dishes out assists all over the place and then is like a pesky gnat on defense disrupting the other teams offense causing turnovers. Something we seem to be lacking now that JFL is gone.

As to how they translate that from HS to Div-1 is always the question. However it seems they could bring some good abilities to a position we are currently weak in.

VU2014

Sounds like there is an outbreak in the Athletics Department. The Women's Team is now testing positive, along with staff, and trainers.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1344063159494172672?s=21

vu72

Dang it. I'm going through basketball withdrawal and it isn't any fun.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

My guess is the women's tests have more to do with people being exposed while home over break rather than being connected to the men's team since the timing is pretty far apart as the men are gong to be exiting quarantine soon so not necessarily an outbreak but more just another testament to how  widespread the virus is now and how more exposure is going to cause risks.  I wouldn't be surprised if more teams have issues due to the holidays and the players getting to go home.

wh

I don't see a TV link for the Missouri State games on the Valpo Athletics website. Are they radio only?

vok22

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2021, 12:03:54 PM
I don't see a TV link for the Missouri State games on the Valpo Athletics website. Are they radio only?

I see the game listed on my ESPN3

valporun

The video camera link is added to the page schedule now. It's possible that Aaron waits until Gameday to add those links, in case something changes?

covufan

I'm watching on ESPN+.

Krikke looks famished. They need to feed him in second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Really not a good sign when of the team's (best) player's parents are calling out the game plan. I've been following Donovan's Dad on twitter for a while and he is as frustrated at times as we are.

Maybe I'm being overly worried but I really hope we don't experience any crushing transfers at the end of season... again...

https://twitter.com/dexterclay1977/status/1348370385939689472?s=21

vok22

Quote from: VU2014 on January 10, 2021, 02:50:53 PM
Really not a good sign when of the team's (best) player's parents are calling out the game plan. I've been following Donovan's Dad on twitter for a while and he is as frustrated at times as we are.

Maybe I'm being overly worried but I really hope we don't experience any crushing transfers at the end of season... again...

https://twitter.com/dexterclay1977/status/1348370385939689472?s=21

You can quit worrying now and start accepting it as a reality. We are going to lose multiple parts of the future this offseason. That "culture" they built last year really diminished quickly. The players don't seem happy out there or seem they are having fun. The young group has a lot of potential but I think we might lose them if things don't start to show even a glimmer of success this year.

VUGrad1314

And now we're stuck for what? Five years? We're screwed aren't we? Everything the Drews built is going to be gone... :( :'(

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 10, 2021, 06:10:07 PM
And now we're stuck for what? Five years? We're screwed aren't we? Everything the Drews built is going to be gone... :( :'(

It's not LaBarbera's style to let go of coaches before there contract is up but this hire may have tanked the school's flagship athletic program. Valpo won't fire any coaches especially in this economic climate. He'd never admit to it publicly but the Lottich hire has largely not produced results.

I know we are coming off maybe only 1 or two practices within the last month and only 8 scholarship players but I'm tired of being disappointed by this coaching staffs tenure

NativeCheesehead

Honestly, I'm not holding this year too much against Lottich. I'm sure there's things going on behind the scenes we don't even know about.

But outside of three days in St Louis last March, the program has made very few strides in the last 4 years. And the dad of your best player questioning the staff publicly is a BAD look.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JBC1824 on January 10, 2021, 06:13:23 PMLottich has to go.

We can't even afford to pay out additional scholarships for players that might want to stay an extra year due to the pandemic. You think we can afford to pay a buyout and then hire a high quality coach to pull us out of this mess? It's one thing to hire from within if it was somebody like Powell but after being rebuffed by like the top two choices the correct choice would have been to enlist a search firm. Hiring some Johnny Come Lately from the end of the bench just to "hire from within" and "be like Butler" is not the way to go. Know how to "be like Butler?" That takes money and administrative commitment and it seems like we're lacking in both.

NativeCheesehead

If we're too cheap to buy out a coach (see Dorow, Tracy) what makes you think we'll pay for a search firm?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 10, 2021, 09:18:46 PMIf we're too cheap to buy out a coach (see Dorow, Tracy) what makes you think we'll pay for a search firm?

Then we're screwed... Get ready to be the Fordham of the MVC...

JBC1824

I'm not necessarily interested in a high quality coach. A mediocre coach would be a welcome improvement at this point. The team plays without design or purpose under Lottich, which to my recollection has always been the case. Have we ever seemed to run something of an offense while he's been the coach? Could someone who knows the X's and O's of basketball comment on this please? Very curious what a more informed mind would have to say about what they see from Lottich in terms of his acumen on the court — which is now publicly being called into question by our best player's father.

You bring up great points about the money and administrative commitment — very harsh realities perhaps.

Really wish Valpo had done more to capitalize on the success of the Drews somehow. I would imagine some saw our move to the MVC as being something to that effect. Despite being on board with the move at the time, though, I would gladly return to the Horizon League now. Don't want to be the Fordham of the MVC lol.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs