• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2020-2021

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2020, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 28, 2021, 10:27:38 AM
After last night, Jacob Ognacevic is fourth in the nation in three point shooting percentage at 51.7% (30 of 58).

...and top 3-point shooter in the MVC. ...and, he has the highest 2-pt shooting pct of all the top 3-pt shooters, suggesting that he is the top inside/outside shooting threat in the MVC.

Note: Not to pour cold water on my own post, but despite having the top 3-pt shooter in the league, we are still dead last as a team.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2021, 11:46:00 AMwe are still dead last as a team.

I wonder what happened to Donovan this year. I don't know how much of a drop he had, but I'm sure his percentage was much better in 19-20.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 28, 2021, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: wh on February 28, 2021, 11:46:00 AMwe are still dead last as a team.

I wonder what happened to Donovan this year. I don't know how much of a drop he had, but I'm sure his percentage was much better in 19-20.

STATS
2020-21
2019-20
GP   MIN   FG%   3P%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
27   32.3   39.8   20.9   68.1   5.5   2.2   1.3   0.8   2.7   2.4   10.1
35   28.7   45.2   28.6   64.7   4.6   1.7   1.0   0.6   1.9   1.1   9.4

Last year when the offense broke down we looked to JFL to bale us out. Donovan does not have that same ability, yet he has been put in that position many times due to our youth and inexperience. He can score in multiple ways, but it's one thing to do it in the flow of the offense and another with the shot clock counting down. It isn't going to be any easier next year. The way JO and Goodnews have improved, it's going to be a dog fight for minutes and starting positions. I'm a big Donovan fan. I'll always be pulling for him.

M

Perhaps he is more of a Robin then a Batman...nothing wrong with that as long you realize it and play within your capabilities.

vuny98

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2021, 11:46:00 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 28, 2021, 10:27:38 AMAfter last night, Jacob Ognacevic is fourth in the nation in three point shooting percentage at 51.7% (30 of 58).
...and top 3-point shooter in the MVC. ...and, he has the highest 2-pt shooting pct of all the top 3-pt shooters, suggesting that he is the top inside/outside shooting threat in the MVC. Note: Not to pour cold water on my own post, but despite having the top 3-pt shooter in the league, we are still dead last as a team.
Despite JO having the highest 3 pt %, he ranks 5th on the team in terms of 3 pt attempts. His playing time, especially earlier in the season plays a role there, but when he is that good of a 3 pot shooter, he should have more than 58 attempts for a whole season.

BTW, our other two freshman have 110 (Edwards) and 78 (Barrett) attempts each.

nkvu

Barrett and JO have both demonstrated the ability to knockdown open 3 looks, but I don't think either can create their own shot. So the offense must be designed to create open 3 looks for them. I don't really understand how the motion offense works but it doesn't seem to create that many wide open looks for spot up shooters. In the last game State was double teaming the guard when JO set high screens, leaving him open from the 3 point line. Once our guards figured out how to get him the ball, he got open looks which he knocked down. Barrett may need to occasionally move through multiple picks on the perimeter without the ball to find enough space to get those open looks, but I don't think that fits a motion offense, but I don't know. It will be interesting to see how the offense progresses next year to see if it can get the guys who can knock down the three enough looks.

wh

I will be shocked if JO doesn't start next year and play heavy minutes. He simply has to be on the court. It took him awhile to adjust to the college game, but he has shown repeatedly that those days are far in the rear view mirror.

Freshman year:

• AP averaged 12.7 PPG in 30 MPG. That's 17 PP40. JO is averaging 6.5 PPG in 12.9 minutes. That's 20.2/40.

• AP shot .383 from 3. JO is shooting .517 from 3.

He had better get heavy minutes in the tournament. He and Zion (for the most part) are all that stand between us and 7 minute scoring droughts. If those 2 guys are on, we can compete with anyone.

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2021, 12:51:39 PM
I will be shocked if JO doesn't start next year and play heavy minutes. He simply has to be on the court. It took him awhile to adjust to the college game, but he has shown repeatedly that those days are far in the rear view mirror.

Freshman year:

• AP averaged 12.7 PPG in 30 MPG. That's 17 PP40. JO is averaging 6.5 PPG in 12.9 minutes. That's 20.2/40.

He had better get heavy minutes in the tournament. He and Zion (for the most part) are all that stand between us and 7 minute scoring droughts. If those 2 guys are on, we can compete with anyone.

Agreed.  They difference now versus when we played them early in the year is that Zion and JO are playing and getting heavy minutes.  Zion didn't play at all and JO averaged about 10 minutes over the two games. The minutes will come from a reduced Sackey presence and the 30  plus average of minutes which Barrett got.  Eron needs to step it up and we can hope that Sheldon plays his best, not his ill timed shot taking self.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 01, 2021, 01:38:20 PM
Quote from: wh on March 01, 2021, 12:51:39 PM

Freshman year:

Agreed.  They difference now versus when we played them early in the year is that Zion and JO are playing and getting heavy minutes.  Zion didn't play at all and JO averaged about 10 minutes over the two games. The minutes will come from a reduced Sackey presence and the 30  plus average of minutes which Barrett got.  Eron needs to step it up and we can hope that Sheldon plays his best, not his ill timed shot taking self.

...and, Goodnews didn't play in either regular season game. Another possible X-factor.

justducky

Quote from: nkvu on March 01, 2021, 10:44:56 AMBarrett and JO have both demonstrated the ability to knockdown open 3 looks, but I don't think either can create their own shot. So the offense must be designed to create open 3 looks for them.

True, but the more that works the easier it works. Sackey playing less means more shooters are on the floor.  :thumbsup: Krikke seems to be improving his 3 point stroke thus spreading the defense.  :thumbsup: Morgan and Kpegeol are hitting shots, rapidly moving the ball and selectively attacking the basket.  :thumbsup: Suddenly drives and back cuts are opening and if doubles come then shooters are open.

Quote from: nkvu on March 01, 2021, 10:44:56 AMI don't really understand how the motion offense works but it doesn't seem to create that many wide open looks for spot up shooters.

In a perfect positionless motion everybody can drive, everybody can shoot and everybody can and should switch on defense. Both Barrett and JO should become better dribble attackers and back door cutters as they develop and as respect for their 3 point shooting grows. A good motion offense can beat you outside if you give them room or beat you inside with drives and passes to cutters. Granted that we are getting impatient waiting for this to evolve but just maybe we will be a well oiled machine by next March!

One possible caveat against the motion offense---- Any team with position less size, speed and shooting should be good and with enough talent even a bad offense will win a lot of games.  ::)

valpotx

JO has made huge strides within his first college season.  He seemed much slower and lost at the beginning of the season, which is why he received limited playing time.  He now seems much more comfortable moving around on both offense AND defense (where he was completely lost prior).  He also seems to be pulling the trigger quicker.  I had commented on how slow his release was in the early games, and he has already made an adjustment to 'load' his cannon (that is what it looks like to me) much quicker, so that he can shoot when someone is just a few feet away.  He has also shown more of an inside game, so I very much look forward to seeing how he continues his development.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

The progress JO has made was evident in the final possession of Saturday's game against ISU. He received the pass beyond the 3-point line, the D converged, he pumped faked, took it to the lane and took the short jumper (I think he missed and had the put back).  That's a scorer mentality and recognizing time and situation.  I immediately thought of AP and Rowdy.  The motion and triangle will create the space and gaps (with proper picks) to open up 3s.  JO is also rolling better, which frees space on the perimeter.  He will be a tough match up, especially if you hit the post, allow the double on Krikke (which is happening more and more), then kick back out to the perimeter.  If not at that spot, swing the perimeter, or reset with the post.  But, seeing JO create options for himself on a final possession of the half was very encouraging.

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

Following the weekend games against Indiana State and with a lull until the tournament action, I thought some might find this footage of a game between Valpo and ISU at Hilltop Gym in January 1953 a bit interesting. Enjoy!

valpotx

Ah yes, the days of one-legged and single-handed shooting!  It also looks like people wrapped their arm around the ball a bit more when passing, as if trying to get some type of curl on the ball.  What's interesting nowadays, and I don't mean this in any way to disrespect folks that played decades ago, is that when you are playing open gym sessions, it is always the most unathletic and uncoordinated guy, that is still shooting in the manner on this video. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

A lot of running baby hooks, bunches of 2-3 zone and Valpo even  set up a picket fence.  :o

JD24

One thing similar to today is the cardboard fans in the stands.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on March 01, 2021, 10:57:18 PM

I'm pretty sure this was a time that InSU was blowing Valpo out and nobody was very happy about the result. I had a relative at this game but he has since passed a few years ago. I found it interesting when a group of fans kicked out another fan out of his seat there wasn't much conversation about blocking many fans views. Two underhand FTs made by Valpo!!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/valparaiso/1953-schedule.html

Unfortunately the Indiana State game at Hilltop Gym was not listed. I could not find my relative's 1953 Beacon (yearbook) but I did find the 1954 Beacon and Valpo did beat InSU twice. At Terre Haute the Brown and Gold did beat InSU 66-65.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on March 02, 2021, 10:07:32 AM
Quote from: JD24 on March 01, 2021, 10:57:18 PM

I'm pretty sure this was a time that InSU was blowing Valpo out and nobody was very happy about the result.

Final score was a respectable 75-67.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 02, 2021, 10:25:44 AMFinal score was a respectable 75-67.

Thank you for reporting the score.

The most interesting thing about Valpo's 1952-53 season is that Villanova was rated #19 in the country in the AP poll during the week of February 16, 1953. Valpo beat Villanova 64-62 on March 7, 1953 at Villanova Field House.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/1953-polls.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/valparaiso/1953-schedule.html

valpotx

For those that complain about lack of movement in our offense, they would be glad to see that it is just a little bit quicker pace than our team of 1952-1953.  Seeing two guys literally passing it back-and-forth at the top of the key without a dribble, waiting to see if 1 specific cut opens up, and then trying again, and again, and again... 
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

The team avoided Thursday...does that make the season a success in your opinion?

NativeCheesehead

Making it out of the bottom four is progress, albeit in a weird year. But as I've said all along, success this year is getting no impact underclassmen transferring once the year is done.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on March 03, 2021, 09:32:46 AMThe team avoided Thursday...does that make the season a success in your opinion?

Yes although I want to see a leap next year. If we keep everyone together we should be top 2-4 in the conference.

valpotx

Yes, but I agree with the comment that it depends on if the team stays together.  If we have to keep resetting each season, it wouldn't have been a success.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuny98

Quote from: M on March 03, 2021, 09:32:46 AMThe team avoided Thursday...does that make the season a success in your opinion?
I wouldn't call it a success. We had a losing record, lost OOC games we should have won, and were very inconsistent throughout the conference season. But we also had bright spots. If this season were a swimming competition, we were the ones doggy paddling to the finish line, but we didn't drown.

As others said, the future is bright if we can keep the youth on this team together and the Freshman next year can play up to this classes level. Given the playing time that the three freshman got this year, I'd like to think they are happy with their role on the team and stay. Same for Krikke. Clay is a question mark given how outspoken his father has been, but he also didn't exactly shine this year, so his transfer options may be limited (especially in a year when everyone is given an extra eligibility year limiting opportunities).