• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Grand Canyon Basketball

Started by Just Sayin, April 17, 2021, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

What's next for Grand Canyon's men's basketball team after breakthrough season?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/gcu/2021/03/23/whats-next-gcu-basketball-after-break-through-season/6972811002/

"Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin begins play in the WAC next school year."

valpotx

The conference will definitely be an improvement, but I don't see a multiple bid WAC.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

You can't see Chicago State getting an at-large bid?

valpotx

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 17, 2021, 08:01:47 PM
You can't see Chicago State getting an at-large bid?

I can't see Chicago State with a conference for a few years. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

With New Mexico State Grand Canyon Cal Baptist and now Stephen F Austin the WAC has a nice upper tier core of schools. I don't know if I see multiple bids in the conference's future but if that core 4 plays at their best and the rest of the league isn't too bad I suppose it could be possible. It's nice to see other leagues building so that more strong basketball schools coalesce together. I hope that trend continues at our level because that will help us fight the bigger conferences for the last few at large bids. EDIT: I made a glaring omission in not including Abeline Christian among those schools that are strong for WAC basketball.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 18, 2021, 07:52:27 PM
With New Mexico State Grand Canyon Cal Baptist and now Stephen F Austin the WAC has a nice upper tier core of schools. I don't know if I see multiple bids in the conference's future but if that core 4 plays at their best and the rest of the league isn't too bad I suppose it could be possible. It's nice to see other leagues building so that more strong basketball schools coalesce together. I hope that trend continues at our level because that will help us fight the bigger conferences for the last few at large bids. EDIT: I made a glaring omission in not including Abeline Christian among those schools that are strong for WAC basketball.

ACU lost their coach, and I wouldn't include them as 'strong' traditionally.  They had a few good years, but that is not commonplace for ACU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

ACU is still relatively new to Division 1, so their history at D-1 has a small sample size, but they will bring a better profile to the WAC than Chicago St. ever did for any conference it has  been a part of.

Pokitren

Basketball is a cool game, cooler than soccer for many. I used to love running basketball 10 years ago too, but today I'm more on PS4/5 https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/nba-2k20/
Do well or do not do at all.

bbtds

Quote from: Pokitren on September 20, 2021, 07:30:17 AM
Basketball is a cool game, cooler than soccer for many. I used to love running basketball 10 years ago too, but today I'm more on PS4/5 https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/nba-2k20/

I take it you're a Ryan Broekhoff fan from down under that loves PS games?

Pokitren

Quote from: bbtds on September 21, 2021, 06:00:02 AMI take it you're a Ryan Broekhoff fan from down under that loves PS games?
No way. I'm not a fan :) Some I like, some I don't.
Do well or do not do at all.