• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021-2022 Valpo Women's Basketball

Started by justducky, July 18, 2021, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuneHwx

Well, I could provide you quotes and data on the impact of body shaming on young women but I won't bother. Here's hoping that you take some time for some good old fashioned soul searching, though not optimistic.

[/size][size=78%]PS: These girls are strong and admirable athletes who work hard to make the university proud. Kudos.[/size]

NativeCheesehead

valpotx

Quote from: DuneHwx on February 16, 2022, 09:25:04 PM
Well, I could provide you quotes and data on the impact of body shaming on young women but I won't bother. Here's hoping that you take some time for some good old fashioned soul searching, though not optimistic.

[/size][size=78%]PS: These girls are strong and admirable athletes who work hard to make the university proud. Kudos.[/size]

You don't know me, so you can think all that you want with your 'soul searching' comment.  You obviously have a personal tie, so you are taking it personally.  I get it.  However, why would you think that talking about weight in a female athlete is any different than a male athlete?  All of the data is focused on women and weight because of traditional views between men and women and advertising in the media, but that doesn't mean male athletes take it any easier.  Unlike female athletes, our weight was always posted on a public website.  Saying someone has gained weight is not body shaming to me.  If I would have said that someone is fat or out-of-shape, that is different. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

DuneHwx

Nope, no personal ties just hoping to present another perspective.

You used your coach's attention to your weight as justification. That was in private. This is a public forum.

valpotx

This is less public than the Valpo athletics page, where my college weight is still displayed to this day :).  Also, our body fat % tests were done in an open training room, where we all went in line to get it taken as part of our physicals.  Not very private lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Good OT win at Evansville, after getting to and blowing an 11 point lead in the 3rd.  Shay, Carrie, and Grace were solid.  I still don't understand what Dunson gives us, to play 28 minutes with limited production.  I get that Pitts provides a jolt of energy and defense, but why not switch out her and Maya's minutes?  Pitts doesn't really shoot, but when she does, it has to be better than 29% overall and above the Mendoza Line from 3...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 18, 2022, 09:07:56 PM
Good OT win at Evansville, after getting to and blowing an 11 point lead in the 3rd.  Shay, Carrie, and Grace were solid.  I still don't understand what Dunson gives us, to play 28 minutes with limited production.  I get that Pitts provides a jolt of energy and defense, but why not switch out her and Maya's minutes?  Pitts doesn't really shoot, but when she does, it has to be better than 29% overall and above the Mendoza Line from 3...

Probably a few rebounds and a break for our "bigs". What surprises me is VanKempen who starts and really adds very little with another zero on the score card yesterday.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Piledriver

Apparently there is a lot of discord on the women's team these days. Many disgruntled players. Who's playing and how much seems to be a big part of it. I talked to a parent who said "there are going to be players leaving that they didn't expect to leave."

There are about 6 subs and redshirts that never play, so maybe some of them are leaving. Brown and Dunson have already transferred once. Weinman, Morrison and White are graduating. That leaves Frederick, Pitts, Ernest, Gunn and VanKempen. Pitts has a baby and 1 year of eligibility left, so I doubt she is heading elsewhere.

Frederick might be pondering a grad year elsewhere. It's a very popular move these days. Ernest and Gunn have had wild swings in playing time. They may have had enough and are moving on.

I guess we'll see soon. Only a few games left.

IndyValpo

Well Dunson showed us, 13 and 7 today!!

valpotx

Good road win at an improved Indiana State program.  I have to give credit where it is due that Dunson and Shay played very well.  I remember that when Maya first started playing for Valpo, she appeared to have a good shot at that time.  I am not sure what happened at the end of last year or most of this year, but her shooting today was more like what I remember from her in her first few Valpo games. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Piledriver

Great performance by Dunson today. That's the way to silence the critics.

Coach had them ready to play today. Lots of good performances. The best I have seem them play this year, and against a team that has a lot of tough matchups for them and hammered them in the ARC last month.

Two big wins on the weekend, after getting stuck on their team bus all day Wednesday in the snow. I'm sure it was a long weekend, but it will be a happier bus ride home.

valpotx

I mean, it silences our view for one game, but she is still shooting 31.8% overall, and 21.6% from 3, with a decent volume of shots.  If she keeps it up, sure, I will eat crow, but this doesn't change the overall view of her season so far
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: Piledriver on February 20, 2022, 09:41:32 AM
Apparently there is a lot of discord on the women's team these days. Many disgruntled players. Who's playing and how much seems to be a big part of it. I talked to a parent who said "there are going to be players leaving that they didn't expect to leave."

There are about 6 subs and redshirts that never play, so maybe some of them are leaving. Brown and Dunson have already transferred once. Weinman, Morrison and White are graduating. That leaves Frederick, Pitts, Ernest, Gunn and VanKempen. Pitts has a baby and 1 year of eligibility left, so I doubt she is heading elsewhere.

Frederick might be pondering a grad year elsewhere. It's a very popular move these days. Ernest and Gunn have had wild swings in playing time. They may have had enough and are moving on.

I guess we'll see soon. Only a few games left.
I hadn't thought about Frederick taking a Grad transfer but she can handle the ball and make free throws. She might find something.
With those 3 graduating we currently look to really struggle next year. Evans, though spotty recruiting freshmen, has been successful in the transfer portal. I see us working that.

valpotx

Darn.  We get it to 3 in the 4th quarter, and then mass turnovers ensue, leading to being down 15, all over a 3-4 minute period of time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

But we learned the difference between Coach Evans and Juwan Howard...
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

If we beat either Missouri State or SIU in the next 2 games, we will end up at 9-9 in conference.  To me, that would be another step forward for the program, even with the 2-9 non-conference record.  Obviously, both would be a major upset, as each is slated to be in the NCAA tourney, per current bracketology. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I just don't see Mary's team getting to the top of the conference with this five out strategy.  We consistently are out-rebounded and I don't see any size being added.  Next year, with the loss of three starters and the two seniors coming off the bench, we should be picked last and that won't sit well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2022, 07:47:40 AM
If we beat either Missouri State or SIU in the next 2 games, we will end up at 9-9 in conference.  To me, that would be another step forward for the program, even with the 2-9 non-conference record.  Obviously, both would be a major upset, as each is slated to be in the NCAA tourney, per current bracketology. 
Throwing out Evans' first year we have been 9-9 7-9 and 8-8 in conference. We took a big step forward in year 2 but have plateaued.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2022, 08:43:01 AM
I just don't see Mary's team getting to the top of the conference with this five out strategy.  We consistently are out-rebounded and I don't see any size being added.  Next year, with the loss of three starters and the two seniors coming off the bench, we should be picked last and that won't sit well.
I tend agree I think we have seen where this approach can go. We play 5 out because we can recruit bigs. Or we can't recruit bigs so we play 5 out.

IndyValpo

I just will never understand. Tonight's game was over by the end of 3, yet under 3 minutes remaining we put 3 starters back in the game down 17. Then with 1:15 left we cleared the bench, sort of.

Piledriver

"I just will never understand. Tonight's game was over by the end of 3, yet under 3 minutes remaining we put 3 starters back in the game down 17. Then with 1:15 left we cleared the bench, sort of."

Agreed. There a lot of things about their team I don't understand. Mostly their offense. Been into basketball my entire life and never seen anybody run that offense. I feel for the players trying to run that. It would be very difficult to score. 44 points last night... they'd be so much better off if they just spread the floor and played motion. They have some nice offensive players, but that offense is so bad. I guarantee if any of the players ever go coach their own team, they won't be using that offense.

valpotx

Wow, big home win to end the conference season at 9-9, beating an SIU team that was 15-2 in conference.  I did not expect such a thing, but congrats!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 05, 2022, 03:19:47 PM
Wow, big home win to end the conference season at 9-9, beating an SIU team that was 15-2 in conference.  I did not expect such a thing, but congrats!

Great game indeed! So hard to predict what Valpo team will show up.  SIU will have the #1 seed for their tournament.

valpotx

It also gave us the 6 seed, as we went 2-0 against Drake, which has the same 9-9 conference record.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

A very pleasant surprise! Haven't watched yet but the teams were even on rebounds and VU shot 10-21 from 3 while SIU struggled at 2-19. We outscored them every quarter.  :o