• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021-2022 Valpo Women's Basketball

Started by justducky, July 18, 2021, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

I just looked there are over 500 players in the transfer portal. Surely we can find some size. The only one I am aware we are looking at is a guard from the region and St Johns.

Piledriver

I saw that Loyola fired its women's coach after going 18-12 this year. Don't know anything, just thought it was interesting.

VUSupport

I think riding the coattails of Coach Boldon is going to catch up with Mary soon.

justducky

Quote from: VUSupport on March 28, 2022, 01:11:30 PM
I think riding the coattails of Coach Boldon is going to catch up with Mary soon.

Bob Bolden has obviously been a very successful MAC coach at Ohio University. His 3 point shooting reliance has certainly influenced coach Evans. Even with slightly above average ball handling the 3 is a "live by the sword, die by the sword" tool if you have no inside game. The 2021-22 team and coach hit this ceiling pretty hard and I'm very worried about their recovery.

DuneHwx

Creighton seems to be doing just fine running five out so I'm not sure the universal condemnation that the scheme has received on this board is justified.

Piledriver

Lauren Gunn is in the transfer portal. Apparently doesn't want to play basketball anymore. Not sure why she entered her name in the portal if she's done with basketball.

Good athlete. Very low skill level. Obviously didn't love the game that much.

Another example of why recruiting "ballers" -- kids who love the game and will work as hard as they can -- is so important.

BeaconManiaNap

This person is ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about Lauren Gunn. I KNOW that she loves the game of basketball, and wishes to continue to play.

Also, her skill level is HIGH, just like her athleticism, however Valpo's absolutely horrendous offense does not capitalize on any of her strengths such as mid-range jump shots, actually running the floor (majority of the lady Crusaders are SLOW AS MOLASSES  and/or TOO SHORT to actually run a fast break).

NativeCheesehead

justducky

Quote from: BeaconManiaNap on March 31, 2022, 12:51:02 PMAlso, her skill level is HIGH, just like her athleticism, however Valpo's absolutely horrendous offense does not capitalize on any of her strengths such as mid-range jump shots, actually running the floor (majority of the lady Crusaders are SLOW AS MOLASSES  and/or TOO SHORT to actually run a fast break).

Her freshman minutes were almost double her sophomore minutes and the quality of her offensive play seemed to decline in the process. Obviously her game has some limitations but a transfer away from the Evans system makes perfect sense to me. If she can find a fit that complements her strengths I can imagine her numbers exploding.

Best of luck to Lauren but sorry to see her go.

BeaconManiaNap

This person is ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about Lauren Gunn. I KNOW that she loves the game of basketball, and wishes to continue to play.

Also, her skill level is HIGH, just like her athleticism, however Valpo's absolutely horrendous offense does not capitalize on any of her strengths such as mid-range jump shots, actually running the floor (majority of the lady Crusaders are SLOW AS MOLASSES  and/or TOO SHORT to actually run a fast break).

valpotx

Yes, obviously a personal connection to her.  I wish her well, but don't view her as a top 10 conference RPI player.  I hope that she finds success in a lower level conference. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSupport

Piledriver

VU walk-on Syria Butler is now in the transfer portal. Guessing she's looking for a school she can get some minutes.

Valpo also signed a transfer, Olivia Simms of Oakland. Left the team after 1 semester. 5-9 shooting guard from Holland, OH. Was off to a pretty good start to her career, but didn't stick around long.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2021-22/21234/olivia-sims-signs-with-womens-basketball-program/

If my math is right, that's 12 on the current roster, so there should be 3 open roster spots.

VUSupport

IndyValpo

Quote from: Piledriver on April 06, 2022, 08:24:42 AM
VU walk-on Syria Butler is now in the transfer portal. Guessing she's looking for a school she can get some minutes.

Valpo also signed a transfer, Olivia Simms of Oakland. Left the team after 1 semester. 5-9 shooting guard from Holland, OH. Was off to a pretty good start to her career, but didn't stick around long.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2021-22/21234/olivia-sims-signs-with-womens-basketball-program/

If my math is right, that's 12 on the current roster, so there should be 3 open roster spots.
I was wondering why Simms had only played 12 games last year.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Piledriver on April 06, 2022, 08:24:42 AM

God bless the walk-on! 2 years given to the team. 2 games, 4 minutes played.

iluvvalpo

Quote from: VUSupport on April 06, 2022, 10:46:54 AM
She's not a big loss, honestly.
Have you ever seen her play? How would you know what she can do or not. I heard she kills the players in practice but the coach just doesn't play walk-ons.

vu72

Quote from: iluvvalpo on April 06, 2022, 10:37:53 PM
Quote from: VUSupport on April 06, 2022, 10:46:54 AM
She's not a big loss, honestly.
Have you ever seen her play? How would you know what she can do or not. I heard she kills the players in practice but the coach just doesn't play walk-ons.

Ah yes, a new poster!  What makes zero sense is if the coach actually doesn't want to play the best players.  The idea that she "just doesn't play walk-ons" is just silly on its face.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUSupport

Wasn't saying that Mary doesn't play walk ons. I'm saying Syria wasn't good enough to get any quality minutes and isn't a big loss for the team.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Piledriver on March 16, 2022, 11:43:07 AM
Shay Frederick announced today she is transferring.

I don't think she'll be the last one to go.

Going to Butler. I honestly thought she would land at a contender as a backup PG. Wish her the best.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 15, 2022, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Piledriver on March 16, 2022, 11:43:07 AM
Shay Frederick announced today she is transferring.

I don't think she'll be the last one to go.

Going to Butler. I honestly thought she would land at a contender as a backup PG. Wish her the best.

Kind of a strange sideways move.  The Big East is ranked slightly higher than the Valley but BU is terrible.  Might be a grad degree thing, who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

Butler has a new women's coach who is coming from IUPUI. It's been in the news in the area b/c Crown Point's Jessica Carrother's, who was runner up Ms Indiana Basketball, followed him to Butler
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/04/16/butler-womens-basketball-jessica-carrothers-flips-iupui-recruit-crown-point/7343828001/

valpotx

More power to her and wish her luck.  She did her time at Valpo, and it seems that Butler overall is a fit for her new direction.  Buck Futler Forever, however.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2022, 10:48:01 PM
Yes, Cara was a starter, but Coach Evans went with a strategy in bringing Weinman and sometimes White off the bench, so I wouldn't view Cara as a top 5 starter.  She could probably play at a low mid-major program, D-2, or NAIA, but is not MVC caliber. 

Shay's transfer makes sense for her.  She is probably graduating, has played for 4 years, and still has 1 season left to try her hand at a P5 program (Wisconsin?).  She can definitely make the move up, and maybe she will recapture her playing form from last year, in not having to be the go-to player.
Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2022, 10:48:01 PM
Yes, Cara was a starter, but Coach Evans went with a strategy in bringing Weinman and sometimes White off the bench, so I wouldn't view Cara as a top 5 starter.  She could probably play at a low mid-major program, D-2, or NAIA, but is not MVC caliber. 

Shay's transfer makes sense for her.  She is probably graduating, has played for 4 years, and still has 1 season left to try her hand at a P5 program (Wisconsin?).  She can definitely make the move up, and maybe she will recapture her playing form from last year, in not having to be the go-to player.
Transferring to Wright State....didn't that one coming.

valpotx

Wish her luck, but this does match a low mid-major conference, whereas the MVC is a top mid-major conference in Women's Basketball
"Don't mess with Texas"