• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 2 @ North Dakota State

Started by valpofb16, September 05, 2021, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

North Dakota State is coming off a 28-6 win against Albany. These games traditionally have had about a 45 point spread for the program (closest was Montana 2017). Really after seeing how much more money is put into a program like IWU, makes me realize players are sold on dreams of playing these teams and the school gets paid to risk their safety.

Hoping for health for the entire team. Final prediction

62-3

usc4valpo

Obviously, if NDSU wants to, they can run 100 points with ease on Valpo. Who knows what the score will be.

NDSU 77, Valpo 6

vu72

44-10.  Let's get a reality check here.  Our defense played well, other than the reverse run for a touchdown. Ex that 50 yard run we gave up about 100 yards on the ground. If we are going to get killed it will be through the air. Other than about three boneheaded interceptions, a blow punt return and the aforementioned reverse, we out played them for 3/4 of the game. They were 1 of 12 on third down conversions.

Without desparaging the IWU players, remember that they have 24 full ride scholarships and, I would presume, some are split so there were many others on some sort of grant.  I can't find what their majors might be but doubt very seriously that they have the number of engineering, business and nursing majors that are represented on Valpo's roster.

We will ALWAYS struggles against teams with scholarships, be they NAIA, D2 or certainly D1.  Having written all that, I expect a better showing as a matter of pride if nothing else.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

We struggle with all teams vu72. With our street cred, we should have no problem beating a team like IWU. Too many excuses and not enough performance by all those involved.
The good news is that Valpo is gaining revenue by providing football and keeping out of the red.

valpofb16

I agree VU, think 34 point spread a little optimistic with our level of offense.

I've always wondered why we don't schedule a Manchester/Anderson.

I know we played Franklin in basement of Carlson days and lost twice. This team is no where near that bad.

Yes if we scheduled Wabash/Franklin/Depauw game would probably be closer than we'd like to admit, but get some positive momentum.

Why does every year have to be 3 scholarship oppenent? If it's for money, the football program sure isn't seeing it.

usc4valpo

I will never understand the Div 1 non scholarship status.

NWIGuy

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 05, 2021, 06:43:09 PM
NCAA rules since the early 90s mandate that all sports (hockey is only exception) play at the same Div. level. So, if university-wide athletic program wants to stay D1, only choices are dropping football or moving to non-scholarship. One can argue the merits of either choice, but that's the deal.

usc4valpo

Thanks NWIGuy. I presume that Valpo keeps football to improve male enrollment. If Valpo stopped football, how much revenue would be lost?

usc4valpo

How much is the cash payout to play in scenic Fargo? Does it cover expenses and more to keep the team afloat?

David81

Wondering out loud if Div. 1 non-scholarship football schools could form a formal alliance with its own mini-playoff structure. I don't know how many schools fall into this category, but you had 35-40 schools that agreed to be in such an alliance, at least they would share an identity and championship structure.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 06, 2021, 10:31:25 AMHow much is the cash payout to play in scenic Fargo? Does it cover expenses and more to keep the team afloat?
I've heard that it funds the entirety of the football program plus.

Whether I've heard correctly or not I don't know but I've heard the same tale numerous times since the question routinely comes up during the "we're playing WHO?" moments.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

NWIGuy

Quote from: David81 on September 06, 2021, 11:24:22 AMWondering out loud if Div. 1 non-scholarship football schools could form a formal alliance with its own mini-playoff structure. I don't know how many schools fall into this category, but you had 35-40 schools that agreed to be in such an alliance, at least they would share an identity and championship structure.
Right now only the PFL and the Ivy League are FCS non-scholarship conferences.

usc4valpo

The idea of a athletic non scholarship league fro Div. 1 teams is interesting, unfortunately based on performance and university commitment, the issue is Valpo would still be at the bottom of whatever conference they would compete.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on September 06, 2021, 12:26:03 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 06, 2021, 10:31:25 AMHow much is the cash payout to play in scenic Fargo? Does it cover expenses and more to keep the team afloat?
I've heard that it funds the entirety of the football program plus.

Whether I've heard correctly or not I don't know but I've heard the same tale numerous times since the question routinely comes up during the "we're playing WHO?" moments.

The payout is $240,000.  It doesn't go only to football but into the general athletic fund supporting all sports.

https://fbschedules.com/north-dakota-state-to-host-ualbany-and-valparaiso-in-2021/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

2 Deep interesting notes

QB- Berry 4 picks and still the guy
RB- Washington #1 presumably healthy
OL- Files listed limped off last game
TE- Wake xfer gets start
LB- No Peifer this week. Tough loss. Twigg starting
DB- Chilton gets start after last week

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 06, 2021, 05:41:31 PM
The idea of a athletic non scholarship league fro Div. 1 teams is interesting, unfortunately based on performance and university commitment, the issue is Valpo would still be at the bottom of whatever conference they would compete.
Quote from: NWIGuy on September 06, 2021, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: David81 on September 06, 2021, 11:24:22 AMWondering out loud if Div. 1 non-scholarship football schools could form a formal alliance with its own mini-playoff structure. I don't know how many schools fall into this category, but you had 35-40 schools that agreed to be in such an alliance, at least they would share an identity and championship structure.
Right now only the PFL and the Ivy League are FCS non-scholarship conferences.

I didn't know it was that small a group.

Well, I guess my fallback is for the NCAA to return to allowing DI schools to play in a lower division for football. I'm sure VU could be fully competitive playing at a DIII football level.

Anyway, back to VU vs. North Dakota State....

IndyValpo

Quote from: NWIGuy on September 05, 2021, 07:53:03 PM
NCAA rules since the early 90s mandate that all sports (hockey is only exception) play at the same Div. level. So, if university-wide athletic program wants to stay D1, only choices are dropping football or moving to non-scholarship. One can argue the merits of either choice, but that's the deal.
There must be some other exceptions as Dallas Baptist is D1 in baseball only.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 07, 2021, 06:28:26 PM

I think the restriction has to do with Men's basketball and the big payouts. If you want to be D1 in Men's basketball then you must be D1 in all sports.  That would allow for schools wanting to be D1 in baseball, soccer or hockey as examples.

vu84v2

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 07, 2021, 06:28:26 PM

I believe that if the university is in a lower division, it can play at a higher level for one sport. That is the case for Dallas Baptist in baseball and for numerous schools in hockey.

In regarding to non-scholarship football, I believe that was tried years ago with 1-AAA (and Valpo was part of it). Not sure why that was dissolved, nor do I remember that division having their own championship.

Brandon

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 08, 2021, 08:42:19 AMI believe that if the university is in a lower division, it can play at a higher level for one sport. That is the case for Dallas Baptist in baseball and for numerous schools in hockey.

DBU was grandfathered in for baseball as are most of the other programs that have one D1 sport. After 2010-11, no additional schools can do this.

crusadermoe

Well at least Carson Wentz and Trey Lance have moved on....    :o

covufan

Won't be pretty. 

49 - 3 we lose.

JD24

It could be worse than ugly. Albany couldn't run the ball vs. NDSU 22 yards on 18 carries. That's Valpo's bread and butter which won't be there. I'm not sure how Valpo throws the ball when we couldn't get open vs. Indiana Wesleyan.

This type of game has been trouble in the past with long term injury. Let's hope we don't see this again.

valpofb16

If running is going to be our bread and butter need to hope IWU's defensive front is better than most of the PFL