• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood to Michigan State. Official

Started by blackpantheruwm, March 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

I'm not going to jump on the If-it's-best-for-Brandon-it's-OK-bandwagon, now or ever.

Loyalty is important.  Without it, we turn into a transactional society where relationships are brief and ephemeral.  Leaving is not always the best option.  I see this more and more in the law business, where firms invest large sums of money and time into developing their young associates, only to see them leave for greener pastures.  I should say "so-called" greener pastures.  

While I agree that what is best for the student athlete is an important consideration, it seems that the flip side of the coin -- loyalty to the institution -- always takes a back seat, if indeed there is any room in the car at all for such an antiquated notion as loyalty.  In our society over the past 20 years or so the concept of "loyalty" has been degraded, it seems, into something akin to subservience and passivity.  This, of course, is wrong.  

Brandon Wood says he is a Valpo guy (or words to that effect).  What he says is important but I also go by what he does.  And what he is doing is not loyal to the university.  Sorry, that's the way I feel, and I shouldn't be derided because I place importance on loyalty.  I will pass, thank you, on watching broadcasts of the MSU games next year (if in fact that is where he is going) since there will be at least a couple references in each telecast to the fact that he left VU for another school.  We can sugar coat it all we want, but here is the truth -- VU comes out looking like a loser, a second-tier institution not worthy of a pro-caliber athlete.  

It has been pointed out, sort of in defense to the idea that he can consider a transfer, that he attended class, will graduate on time, and was a good teammate.  That's nice, but, after all, as a scholarship athlete he was supposed to do those things.  

I am sure he is a nice young man from a good family.  But what he is doing is, in my opinion anyway, disloyal to VU and Coach Drew, and I will not yield to political correctness and join those who say this is an acceptable decision on his part.  Paul

vu72

Paul,  I appreciate your viewpoint and fully understand where you are coming from. No doubt it will not reflect well on Valpo, still, to follow your thinking, isn't it a two way street?

Consider the student athlete, let's use Chris Halvorsen as an example, who comes to Valpo at the invitation of the school and coaching staff, only to find out that they aren't good enough, and, although there may not be a direct indication that leaving is required, it is abunduntly clear that the player just isn't cutting it.  Get my point?  What's the difference??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

He isn't gone....yet.
By no means am I going to try and change your opinion here.  I don't think he really owes the university anything.  He played through his graduation and is moving on.  I'm not sure I buy the whole VU doesn't have the grad program I want excuse but that is the loophole they are using.  If he leaves, I will not be watching any MSU games (but that is mainly because I don't watch much college basketball outside the HL).  If he leaves, Valpo will play with the team that Homer puts together, which will again be competitive.  If he leaves, we will mostly forget about him after the next year or so since the teams he was on during his time here never really amounted to anything.  

However, if he comes back and is able to set some scoring marks or lead this team into post season success and get himself drafted, then he will become something of a legend (I'm not sure legend is the right word, but I think you get what I'm going for).

Regardless, I hope he makes a decision soon so we can start talking about something else.

Valpo89

I think it's a big risk. He will get better practicing against better players, yes.
But, it could backfire on him in that his weaknesses will be exposed playing at a higher level.
I seem to recall that happened with Lubos Barton. He believed that his senior year hurt him as far as a potential NBA career, that he maybe would have had a better shot at the NBA after his junior year. Of course, Lubos has done quite well for himself playing in Europe.

crusaderjoe

Wow, Brandon Wood, a graduate of Valparaiso University is being disloyal to VU?

Well hell, I guess that certainly means that this guy was also disloyal, you know since he graduated from Minnesota State or wherever and abandoned the team after one year:

http://www.ardenskoglundmusic.com/index.html

Although, on this board, he'll probably get a pass because he quit basketball to focus on music and youth ministry.  I mean after all, we have to save the vitriol for those student athletes that come here and actually graduate.

I swear this board amazes me sometimes.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 03, 2011, 09:55:41 PM

Well hell, I guess that certainly means that this guy was also disloyal, you know since he graduated from Minnesota State or wherever and abandoned the team after one year:

Although, on this board, he'll probably get a pass because he quit basketball to focus on music and youth ministry.  I mean after all, we have to save the vitriol for those student athletes that come here and actually graduate.

I could not agree more. brandon is GRADUATING. how is it being disloyal to leave? he is released from commitment to the institution, since he finished his undergraduate education. i mean, are you still bound to your wife if she dies? are you disloyal to her for remarrying if she dies? obviously not. kind of starting to get into a different topic there though...

milanmiracle

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 03, 2011, 10:14:37 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 03, 2011, 09:55:41 PM

I could not agree more. brandon is GRADUATING. how is it being disloyal to leave? he is released from commitment to the institution, since he finished his undergraduate education. i mean, are you still bound to your wife if she dies? are you disloyal to her for remarrying if she dies? obviously not. kind of starting to get into a different topic there though...

I am going to agree here...Would it be better if he said "Hey, I have my degree, I am done with basketball", even though he could still go to school for free and had remaining eligibility? Hmm...

He's trying to position himself to further his career, and if his potential employeers tell him it would be easier to hire him if he practiced his craft at another institution, who are we to argue?

I wish Brandon the best, whatever that may be!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

mj

Quotei mean, are you still bound to your wife if she dies? are you disloyal to her for remarrying if she dies? obviously not. kind of starting to get into a different topic there though...

What if your wife leaves you for some other guy who has more money and is better looking?

Arden Skoglund was a terrible basketball player. That's a fact. I think he recognized it and realized he could be doing better things with his time and left. There's nothing similar going on here.

It's disloyal because when you get a scholarship you're expected to use all of your eligibility with that team. Granted sometimes there are situations where a player needs to leave (change in coaches, lack of playing time, disagreement with the coaches that can't be reconciled, issues at home, etc), but for the most part players should stay all 4 years. There's no extenuating circumstances that warrant a transfer.

Like I've said before, if Brandon goes to the NBA or Europe I'll be disappointed but I understand. Going to another Division 1 team is another story. How anyone can be ok with a Big Ten school coming in and taking our best player is beyond me.

I'm a fan of the Valpo basketball TEAM. I root for individual players because they're a part of that team. Brandon's actions are going to leave this team worse off. I can't be happy about that.
I believe that we will win.

Mjj

First of all everyone should stop assuming the team is going to be "worse off". There is a lot of talent on the team and if you are a "team" fan you will support whether Brandon is there or not. Now my thoughts on his leaving - Its selfish, point blank. When he was at another institution and didn't get playing time, or get handed the keys to do what he wanted, Valpo accepted him as a transfer and did hand him the keys. The coaching staff put him in the position to garner the notoriety and interest that he has now. Valpo gave him the outlet to become the player he is and now he wants to leave? This strikes me as someone who has decided that his talent is now bigger than the program. When you put yourself first - selfish.

I agree with another poster that if he was graduating and done with ball or had no eligibility it would be a differnet story. But he does have eligibility and is deciding that bigger is better. Its a slap in the face to the coaching staff that brought him in and allowed to grow as a player - without Valpo he wouldn't even have the option to go to a bigger school, if he did he would have done that to begin after he transferred two years ago from a school that didn't give him what he wanted.

While Brandon was definitely a contributor and good athlete, he was not the only one. Go back and look at some games... maybe if he wasn't the focal point others would have contributed more. Now they will get that chance to play as a team versus the B Wood show.

Since he is now a non factor - move on, quit talking about him and focus on the group that is now the team!

And mj - be happy that someone who doesn't want to be here is gone - this will change the chemistry and morale for the better.

lowposter

There are rules that are established by NCAA.  All parties are following the rules.  This is not this big of a deal.  He is getting a Masters Degree from an institition which will further his career, both on the court for a few years and off the court for the rest of his life.

He graduated from VU.  He has options.  He contributed to the school. 

Let it go.

lowposter

valpo95

As much as I'd like to see Brandon stay, ultimately I hope he is successful wherever he lands.  He has a VU degree, and has been an asset to the program and a credit to the university.

As I see it, his choice involves some risk.  If he stays at Valpo, he could be a senior leader and the top player in the HL.  If Valpo makes a run in the NCAA tournament (and with Wood, I like our chances next year!), he could average 20 ppg and clearly be a first round draft pick.  He'll be the guy everyone knows.

The choice to go to Michigan State or a similar program is risky because he only has 1 year.  If he has a great year in the Big 10, he'll average 13-15 ppg which would place him at or near the top 10 in conference scoring.  If he has an OK year, it is 9-10 ppg and he is a top 30 player, who will get some looks in the draft.  If he ends up as a sixth man or doesn't quite get big minutes, he'll get lost and end up going to Europe to play.

Again, it is the risk for him of what he knows versus what he doesn't know;  how he gells with his teammates, the system and the coaches in a relatively short time frame.  Plus, the level of competition is higher in the Big 10, but that cuts both ways in that he'll be better defended.  It is a tough call, though I hope for the best for him.

justducky

Quote from: lowposter on May 04, 2011, 09:33:36 AM
There are rules that are established by NCAA.  All parties are following the rules.  This is not this big of a deal.  He is getting a Masters Degree from an institition which will further his career, both on the court for a few years and off the court for the rest of his life.

He graduated from VU.  He has options.  He contributed to the school. 

Let it go.

lowposter
Once again Lowposter and I have reached the same conclusions. The only thing I will add is that for Brandon to have any kind of NBA run, he must do so from the point and we have more point guards than we know what to do with. I will also add that Brandon is unlikely to end his basketball career with anything close to set-for-life financial success, so his Masters Degree choice and plans for what he would like to do after basketball should be of critical importance.

rlh

Let's be clear about one thing, while I wish Brandon all the best if he decides to tranfer, his Masters IS NOT what is behind this.  No matter what kind of smoke screen you try to put up, this is about exposure and basketball.  My guess is he will end up no better than where he will be if he stays here and that is in Europe, but I've always regretted that I didn't take some chances when I was younger, and if he feels this is his best chance, then so be it.....I hope it works for him, but it's NOT about education.

dcvalpo

Quote from: rlh on May 04, 2011, 03:38:29 PM
Let's be clear about one thing, while I wish Brandon all the best if he decides to tranfer, his Masters IS NOT what is behind this.  No matter what kind of smoke screen you try to put up, this is about exposure and basketball.  My guess is he will end up no better than where he will be if he stays here and that is in Europe, but I've always regretted that I didn't take some chances when I was younger, and if he feels this is his best chance, then so be it.....I hope it works for him, but it's NOT about education.

Have you talked to Brandon and his father about this directly?

valpofan56

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 04, 2011, 07:03:22 PM

C'mon?  Are you serious?  I'm sorry, but I'm with rlh on this one, anybody who thinks that this transfer has anything to do with academics, other than providing a means for a loophole, is either completely ignorant or just plain dumb.

lowposter

At some point in time, probably sooner than later, the Masters Degree which he earns will come into play.  So, if he can earn that degree which will be helpful in his adult life, more power to him.

I am not ignorant, but perhaps dumb...but rules are in place.  He is well within the rules to do this.  The NCAA has generated plenty of rules to govern their body, many of which are head scratchers.  Whether this is a loop hole or not (and in my mind it will be used quite a bit going forward), this is a method for mature athletes (probably the average age of such players will be 23 years old) to transfer quickly.

Let's face it, the next school will be Brandon's fourth stop.  This is very typical of his age.  The days of cradle to grave job security are over.  Young people move quickly from one job to another...always in search of a better place.

Perhaps there is a master degree eligible player out there with another year left.  Perhaps this player is a backup center at another program with limited playing time.   In that case, what tune would we be singing?

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpofan56 on May 04, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 04, 2011, 07:03:22 PM

C'mon?  Are you serious?  I'm sorry, but I'm with rlh on this one, anybody who thinks that this transfer has anything to do with academics, other than providing a means for a loophole, is either completely ignorant or just plain dumb.

Relax.  All I'm saying is that we shouldn't talk with such certainty about things when we haven't gone straight to the source. 

Anyways, this "loophole" business is really kind of stupid.  It's a rule, not a loophole.  Brandon is graduating from the university and is not obligated to us in any way.  He is not being sneaky or underhanded (as the term loophole insinuates), he is simply taking advantage of a clearly stated rule.

dcvalpo

Maybe this has been mentioned, but why are the players held to such a standard of loyalty?  Homer is one of the rare exceptions, but how often do hot mid-major coaches abandon their programs when a better opportunity comes along?  Why is Brandon being vilified as disloyal when this is standard practice for coaches?

rlh

DCValpo....I think we are talking about two different things.  I don't question Brandon's right to transfer and if he feels Michigan State is a better place for him, more power to him as I said before.  What I said, and believe, is that it is being masked as an educational move.  I'm not that unaware, it is not educational, it is because he feels it will help him basketball-wise.  I don't think anyone really doubts that...does he owe VU anything, No, never said he did....I just question those who are trying to make this an educational situation when it is not.  As I've said many times before, I really wish him the best and hope it works for him, but I don't think it will help him in the long run, and it could really hurt him.  I'd hate to see that happen.

chairback

His decision is made and just waiting for the formality of the release to go thru.  We all need to move on.......

I wish him the best of luck.  However, he still needs to learn how to play better defense and play team ball.  Those two areas have to be better if he wants a lot of mins at State.  He lead Valpo in assists but a times was very selfish.  Even after playing at State he will not be in the NBA.  Reality is he is nowhere near NBA good.

Would you rank him in the top 10 Valpo players since the 90's?  I have (in order):
Bryce Drew
Lubos Barton
Zoran Viskovic
Anthony Allison
Raitis Grafs
Dan Oppland
Casey Schmidt
Milo Stovall
Tony Vilcinskas
Ali Beridel (we need to face it, he was good..)

DMvalpo18

Quote from: mj on May 04, 2011, 12:26:45 AM
Quotei mean, are you still bound to your wife if she dies? are you disloyal to her for remarrying if she dies? obviously not. kind of starting to get into a different topic there though...

What if your wife leaves you for some other guy who has more money and is better looking?

Arden Skoglund was a terrible basketball player. That's a fact. I think he recognized it and realized he could be doing better things with his time and left. There's nothing similar going on here.

It's disloyal because when you get a scholarship you're expected to use all of your eligibility with that team. Granted sometimes there are situations where a player needs to leave (change in coaches, lack of playing time, disagreement with the coaches that can't be reconciled, issues at home, etc), but for the most part players should stay all 4 years. There's no extenuating circumstances that warrant a transfer.

Like I've said before, if Brandon goes to the NBA or Europe I'll be disappointed but I understand. Going to another Division 1 team is another story. How anyone can be ok with a Big Ten school coming in and taking our best player is beyond me.

I'm a fan of the Valpo basketball TEAM. I root for individual players because they're a part of that team. Brandon's actions are going to leave this team worse off. I can't be happy about that.

if your wife leaves you for somebody else then she is still alive. so you are bound to her legally until you divorce or she dies. enough of that analogy though, i don't want this to get into something else! i thought the scholarships are renewed every year? he does not owe us anything as far i am concerned.

valpo84

I've probably said similar things in earlier posts on this, but this is really not an issue of being disloyal or loopholes. For Brandon, the choices about his playing role for Valpo or another school have been discussed -- either stay and be an HL POY candidate or go to a new program, new conference and have to adjust quickly to be successful. But what I'm not sure has been clearly discussed is that this is also a "master's degree" opportunity in hoops too. Brandon has learned a great deal from Homer and the coaching staff. He has excelled under that teaching and this program. He took full advantage of Valpo and its educational opportunities too. (Brandon, congratulations on earning your degree and being able to have this choice). Homer is an HOF caliber coach. Among the all-time active wins leaders in all of men's hoops. But, Brandon received an offer to play for what many argue is another HOF caliber coach and one of the best strategists in the game, someone who has been recruited to coach in the NBA (not that that is so great). Someone who has rings for Nat'l Champs. BWood has a chance to play and earn a Master's Degree in hoops from one of the top tier hoops institutions. It's like going to University of Chicago or Yale for Law School and to be taught and challenged by the most brilliant minds in that field. It's akin to many of our Valpo experiences. Valpo was a terrific opportunity for me to excel and test boundaries. But when I had a choice of post-grad education for my profession, besides Valpo, I looked at schools ranked higher for that profession and so did my buddies, and I firmly believed and wanted to test the waters against the next level of competition. But I was in that position because the outstanding professors (coaches) at Valpo prepared me for that competition. I ultimately chose that different school and I don't think many would challenge my loyalty to Valpo today. If you have that desire to want to test yourself, you logically believe that going to an MSU-level serves that purpose in hoops.

However, I will continue to lobby for him to stay and push himself to make himself and this team legendary, and that the Horizon has proved again this year that it has enough talent and ability to play with the big conference teams. But if he wants his classroom to be in East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Columbus and Madison or Cameron, Dean Dome and Maryland, it's hard to argue with that. He has earned that right to use the Rule to explore his options. Noentheless, whatever he chooses, it is a testament to Coach and the staff and Valpo that it has developed a player who now has choices. Yeah, it would hurt to lose that talent from Valpo, but is it any different from the CC scholarship student choosing to go to Northwestern Law when they could have stayed at Valpo Law. If the Valpo student succeeds at NW Law it proves how well prepared he was by that Valpo and that CC program and ishould be Exhibit A for why other students should come to Valpo. What is disappointing are the personal potshots that he is being selfish and disloyal. It's similar to saying a player who leaves early to the NBA is being selfish. It may be in their self-interest, but from the media and other personal accounts, BWood is doing this the right way -- systematically, professionally, process-focused, weighing his options. Seems like he has learned a lot from Valpo, including maturity.

And 78, the loyalty ship is a 2-way road. In the legal profession that you referred to, the ship sailed 15-20 years ago when partnerhips erected roadblocks and hurdles for young lawyers to become equity partners, meaning why stay too long if there is no golden rainbow at the end of 8-10 years, best to find what is best for your career plans and act on it sooner. In the business world, loyalty from corporations has had to give way to cost-cutting restructurings, focus on productivity, costs of legacy and worker benefit systems and portability of plans. Long-term futures at the company you hired into are uncertain and that's not a value judgment but cold facts. Last time I checked, most of us were "at will" employees. The younger generation has had to reinvent itself for survival in that world. Yes, they believe themselves free agents. It just mean they might learn earlier as to whether the grass is greener elsewhere or if they should pursue their vocation sooner?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

dcvalpo

vu72

As I've posted before, there are two Masters programs at Valpo that fit with Brandon's undergrad degree, so I'm with rlh. Clearly it is about basketball only and I understand that and wish him well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dcvalpo

Quote from: vu72 on May 05, 2011, 06:59:37 AM
As I've posted before, there are two Masters programs at Valpo that fit with Brandon's undergrad degree, so I'm with rlh. Clearly it is about basketball only and I understand that and wish him well.

That's right...you can only do a Master's degree in your college major.  I'm surprised no one has tried to take away my M.Ed since I have a BA in Theology.