• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDiaspora

Quote from: David81 on March 09, 2023, 06:57:43 PM
A school with strong, even excellent academic programs, in both the arts & sciences and professions; a good overall academic reputation; a sense of tradition, including being a place where values still count; a genuine, walkable, residential campus; and a surrounding town much more hospitable to a college campus than back in the day.

I agree! People wouldn't be fighting if there wasn't still something worth saving!!

valpo95

The landscape for private universities (especially in the Midwest) is challenging. In recent days, we have seen announcements of recent closures of campuses or programs at other small universities.

Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL) closing residential and in-person undergraduate programs, moving to fully remote/online instruction for those programs. (MDiv and Seminary stay.) https://www.tiu.edu/reimagining-the-future/
Finlandia University (Hancock, MI) closing. https://www.finlandia.edu/about/teachout/

Neither of these programs are direct competitors of VU, yet they are religiously-affiliated private universities in the region. These had reasonably well-regarded academics, yet very small endowments. Finlandia is especially interesting, as it a small Lutheran University (ELCA). We also should remember that three of the Concordia (LCMS) campuses closed in recent years, including Alabama (2018), New York (2021) and Portland (2022).

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2023, 10:45:06 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on March 06, 2023, 09:47:11 AM
You might as well do the sale now.  The PR damage has been done.
I can assure you that Padilla is aware PR damage has barely scratched the surface thus far.
When I mentioned the PR damage is still just beginning, I already knew about additional news stories concerning the special session Faculty Senate opposition vote and the forthcoming major New York Times article that appears today as a "top story" in my web browser (plus other upcoming developments):
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/10/arts/design/valparaiso-museum-paintings-sale-okeeffe.html

valpopal

The New York Times has begun to circulate its feature article about the Brauer Museum on Twitter:
[tweet]1634257821775667201[/tweet]

David81

Quote from: valpo95 on March 10, 2023, 10:45:39 AM
The landscape for private universities (especially in the Midwest) is challenging. In recent days, we have seen announcements of recent closures of campuses or programs at other small universities.

Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL) closing residential and in-person undergraduate programs, moving to fully remote/online instruction for those programs. (MDiv and Seminary stay.) https://www.tiu.edu/reimagining-the-future/
Finlandia University (Hancock, MI) closing. https://www.finlandia.edu/about/teachout/

Neither of these programs are direct competitors of VU, yet they are religiously-affiliated private universities in the region. These had reasonably well-regarded academics, yet very small endowments. Finlandia is especially interesting, as it a small Lutheran University (ELCA). We also should remember that three of the Concordia (LCMS) campuses closed in recent years, including Alabama (2018), New York (2021) and Portland (2022).

Small, insular, religiously-affiliated colleges/universities are very vulnerable right now.

Among other things, as many of us have observed, Gen Z is generally not given to identifying with specific faith traditions.

This is part of the challenging VU balance....retaining and embracing its Lutheran constituency, without messaging narrow exclusivity. I still think that appealing to the notion of values may capture a cohort of students who wish to be grounded in some aspect of deeper meaning as part of their college experience. These students may have strong vocational leanings, too, which Valpo can serve very well. Classic example would be the future nurse or engineer who is also enrolled in Christ College. Those kids are out there.

VULB#62

Thanks for the link, Pal. I get the online Times daily and saw it as well. Not unexpectedly, there's a heavy anti-sale slant, but can't call it a one-sided hit job either.  A shame we can generate national publicity like this, yet can't generate any valuable positive exposure from our basketball program.

Hopefully, calmer minds can find a win-win way out of this. If there is any upside to this, perhaps it will help to energize the alumni base to donate more to offset the reality this has exposed.

Side observation:  one student activist was interviewed and stated that she had no problems with the dorms. But, of course, she decided to come to Valpo. She doesn't get it.  It's how many qualified applicants bailed on attending because of what they assessed was inadequate housing, thus contributing to the enrollment decline.

mj

Re: selling the painting.

The Georgia O'Keeffe painting must have been the best kept secret in Valpo. Everyone I talk to was unaware that the painting was in the Brauer. The museum will remain open, we're only talking about three paintings. When you compare that to the fact that Valpo needs to attract students, it's obvious the paintings should be sold.

Instead of complaining about the leadership, those who oppose the sale need to recruit students to attend Valpo. Turn the anger into something positive. 
I believe that we will win.

David81

Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2023, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2023, 10:45:06 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on March 06, 2023, 09:47:11 AM
You might as well do the sale now.  The PR damage has been done.
I can assure you that Padilla is aware PR damage has barely scratched the surface thus far.
When I mentioned the PR damage is still just beginning, I already knew about additional news stories concerning the special session Faculty Senate opposition vote and the forthcoming major New York Times article that appears today as a "top story" in my web browser (plus other upcoming developments):
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/10/arts/design/valparaiso-museum-paintings-sale-okeeffe.html

It's very unfortunate that the most prominent coverage VU has received in the NYT during the past decade has been this piece capturing the difficult choices facing private regional universities not awash with case and the long feature about VU Law embodying the challenges facing private regional law schools during the applications nosedive.

Although I had a feeling that controversy over the art sale would generate unwanted publicity, I did not anticipate national media coverage.

crusader05

My question is: did the Times seek this out? Or did people at Valpo seek the Times out?

VULB#62

Last I looked, that line was on the boards in Vegas.  5-1 Times was alerted.

David81

Already some 290 comments to the posting of the article to the NYT Facebook page, capturing the differences of opinion here.

VULB#62

So, David, what's the uninformed commenter stream of consciousness?

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 10, 2023, 07:47:34 PM
So, David, what's the uninformed commenter stream of consciousness?

VULB#62, a lot of it isn't much different than the opinions being shared here. The article gave sufficient context for folks to take similar sides.

The good news is that, at least from what I read, people weren't denigrating the University. I think that a lot of folks understand that this is a tough time for a lot of schools.

ValpoDiaspora

Whoah. This NY times article is pretty shocking; national coverage? I admit I did not know the Georgia O'Keeffe was this big a deal.

As David81 says, the article and comments don't seem too one-sided. Now NT Times has posted it twice on FB from what I can tell, now up to 410 comments on the first and 73 on the second... but overall, no consensus.

usc4valpo

I get that selling the artwork is a bad sign. There is nothing positive about this.

If Valpo decides to keep the art, and if they are desperate for residential facility upgrades, how can this be accomplished?  Asking more cash from alums during a national economic decline and after an intense endowment fundraiser?

What happens to Valpo if they did not make upgrades in residential facilities?  62 had a interesting reply - one student thought it wasn't necessary, but does a sample of 1 response reflect what is required?

Padilla is trying to get solutions, and perhaps he is business savvy but it is a perspective Valpo desperately needs.

Also, we will see the level of desperation at Valpo. Not removing a basketball coach to prevent  a $700k buyout in a Division 1 environment is a sign of desperation. Almost every Div. 1 program would accept the buyout in their decision.

crusader05

This is why they should have done the ERIP first and why I believe Padilla has said he did not think that the way the first round of cuts was good for the university and hasn't been helpful int he long run. DePauw did a huge buyout when the pandemic hit because you can't fire tenure faculty but they are the best paid and are also what's going to keep you from hiring/keeping your new generation of "best and the brightest".

vu72

Quote from: ValpoDiaspora on March 11, 2023, 05:15:22 AM
Whoah. This NY times article is pretty shocking; national coverage? I admit I did not know the Georgia O'Keeffe was this big a deal.

As David81 says, the article and comments don't seem too one-sided. Now NT Times has posted it twice on FB from what I can tell, now up to 410 comments on the first and 73 on the second... but overall, no consensus.

I just saw the actual paper edition.  Front page, just below the fold.  Now that, is some national exposure!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

The Times article is growing more legs. This is from the PFL Fan Forum. 

https://pflfan.proboards.com/thread/4362/broke

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 11, 2023, 01:20:06 PM
The Times article is growing more legs. This is from the PFL Fan Forum. 

https://pflfan.proboards.com/thread/4362/broke

It's a shame that VU's finances are being mischaracterized. Regardless of one's views on the art sale, the University is not broke.

If there's a silver lining, it will be a boost in donations from alums. Let's see if that happens.

valpofb16

Let me start by saying I have a massive, massive amount of respect for John Ruff having had him in class and talked with him personally outside of class.

Late to party but saw times article today. Taking that interview and giving that press to Valparaiso University was downright IRRESPONSIBLE.

When you search Valparaiso University on Twitter , 10 of first 12 things on timeline are VUs art sale.

Now you go back and see the 5 year plan is linked in the article, with low wages , outdated dorms , and looking to get 10% more net revenue per student.

The only press coming out of Valparaiso University right now should be good press. Anything else could be detrimental.

Letting a 95 year old man talk on the future of a University. Irresponsible. Regardless what he had done in the previous century.

As an alum , donor, and someone trying to push forward good press about the University, I honestly can't believe this happened.

Failed decisions in the 2010s is what has hurt the University. Investing in a multi million dollar chapel before your classrooms are up to date or dorms irresponsible.

Having the second highest paid President in Indiana irresponsible.

Having a list price of 44k with the current product being offered irresponsible.

Having a 93% acceptance rate and forcing kids on campus 3 out of their 4 years. Irresponsible.

Changing a mascot to appease Muslim and Saudi Arabian students when your customer base are primarily Christian private school kids. Irresponsible.

I will continue to support the football team as I can through this 5 year plan. However a decade of terrible decisions has led to this.

And unfortunately letting this all get to The NY Times is another drop in the bucket

mj

All of this underscores how much of a mess Heckler created during his time as President. Decisions were made regarding finances and enrollment that are...baffling. It's like everyone was asleep at the wheel.

Heckler was to Valpo, like Lottich is to the basketball program.
I believe that we will win.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 12, 2023, 08:56:07 AMFailed decisions in the 2010s is what has hurt the University. Investing in a multi million dollar chapel before your classrooms are up to date or dorms irresponsible.

The chapel addition is an interesting point to bring up. First of all, it was a specifically earmarked gift. Not much could be done to divert that money to dorms and classrooms. At virtually the same time, the Welcome Center was gifted and constructed.  Of the two, one, IMO, produces an ongoing ROI as the campus gateway, the first experience for potential applicants/enrollees and it houses staff that are dedicated to recruitment as I understand.  The other is a nice new space, but what does it do to provide ROI?  Are classes taught there?  How does it contribute to improved campus life for the entire campus community or is it just for a small campus population? I don't know enough about that and would like someone on the forum to help me out.

Anyway, how does the chapel addition get into the same conversation as the O'Keeffe?  In my little mind both are examples of misaligned priorities that only focus on small elements of a much greater whole.  Holding onto the O'Keeffe in the face of the ability to offset poor past decisions is irresponsible.  Building onto the chapel for a limited population was similarly less than responsible unless the university was swimming in excess cash at the time. At the time, I recall thinking that it was nice but almost like gilding a lilly. Every effort at the time should (in 20/20 hindsight) have made to convince the chapel donors of a greater good that would result from using the gift differently — like, maybe a smaller addition and the bulk endowing well-paying faculty chairs (and taking some pressure off the operating budget).  Similarly, I hope that any art sale compromise involves a faculty chair endowment in conjunction with the needed construction.

DejaVU

To add insult to injury, Ruff is retired (according to the article at least). If that's true is even worse. Giving lessons to those on the Titanic deck from the safety of the lifeboat.

usc4valpo

Regarding the NYT article, the primary focus was on a theatre major. The dorms must be fine is she says so.

My daughter, a HS senior going to major in Chemical Engineering, went through the college search. Every college visit we went on, there was much time allotted time touring various dorms. Facilities are very important to prospective students, and according to my my and daughters, particularly women. We need to look at the needs of the current student and not base it on our experience, especially if Valpo want to boost enrollment.

Also, Valpo should focus on their strengths - engineering, business, meteorology and nursing. These majors are where students will invest extra tuition.   Liberal arts are important also, but perhaps we need to continue eliminating majors/programs accommodating only a handful of students.

- they removed secondary education, how about elementary education? Generally speaking, why would someone spend $55K a year, minus scholarship, to get an elementary education degree and start a teaching career with six figure in debt?  Why try to compete with teachers colleges like Ball St., Illinois State, and UNI?

vu72

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 12, 2023, 08:56:07 AMInvesting in a multi million dollar chapel before your classrooms are up to date or dorms irresponsible.

Not sure what you are referencing here.  The addition to the Chapel as well as the renovations were paid in full by a contribution from the Helges.  The University didn't use operating funds.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015