• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuneHwx

LOUDER FOR THE FOLKS IN THE BACK

Quote from: crusader05 on March 16, 2023, 09:43:28 AM
I don't think that Valpo can and should survive as a Stem school. I also don't think the sale of the art or the closure of some programs indicate that the university thinks it should or that this means the university doesn't care about liberal arts.

I have been a bit uncomfortable with some of the invective coming from the anti-sale section that seems to take what could be an ethical argument and is using it to ramp up the attacks on Padilla as a person implying some pretty intense things including now that he perhaps liked or manipulated board of directors to get this result.

We have been promised more and more but at the end it just ends up being the same article, with the same names, making the same arguments. I have seen some solutions bandied about that make me think many people have no idea what the actual situation is in higher ed. Lots of "there's got to be a better way to raise 10 million) ignoring a lot of the factors that the big driver for this is Time and Also that our alums only have so much money and at the end of the day Valpo cannot just sit there and beg a lot of our (most likely) old white men donors to fund everything. Other options that include selling something else ignore that you need a buyer for those other things and scaling down is not always good because the main things that are wrong with the dorms are probably the big money drivers (no air, old plumbing, bad windows etc) it's not sustainable. We need to use the assets we have, fundraising, and go aggressively after gov't and grant related funds as well as city partnerships to do this. They tried to lease out old buildings and they're trying to sell land. I'd imagine if they could just sell land for 10 million they would do it, the fact that they haven't might indicate it's not an option at this point.

A museum organization that we are not an official member of (because we are not a real museum) sanctioning us means less to me than a downgrade in our bond rating. I get this is existential in a lot of ways but this is starting to feel like a personal vendetta against the president and that is making me a bit more uncomfortable in this whole thing.

David81

With apologies for my broken record mantra, at schools like Valparaiso -- those categorized as "comprehensive" universities, i.e., regionally oriented schools that embrace both liberal arts and professional programs -- the two "sides" need each other. The duality itself is a core part of the school's identity. Greatly diminish one or the other, and it's questionable -- as Diaspora suggests -- that the institution can survive.

USC4valpo, c'mon now, are you really going to let one creative writing undergraduate unburdening herself get under your skin? Of course not. Even with our honest disagreements, we both know that the discussion has to take place at a higher level of analysis and engagement.

As for the theatre major dig, here's a (true) story: The daughter of one of my friends (a fellow VU grad), went to one of VU's competitors and majored in theatre while minoring in business. While her parents wondered what she had in mind, it turned out that she would open a store in Valpo with a marvelously creative and entrepreneurial spin, including theme weekends in theatrical regalia. Take a look at what that combo can do: https://www.alleykatshoppe.com

The School of Engineering has earned its reputation, and anyone who puts it down is simply wrong. It can draw on a genuine bootstrapping legacy of how students raised the money for the engineering building, to a place where it's one of the most highly regarded undergraduate engineering schools in the country.

In a higher ed world increasingly driven by extremes, VU can be among those institutions that strives for a healthier balance, including a curricular one. Liberal arts and professional training have been a part of universities going back to their "modern" origins over a half century ago. At times, this has meant resisting market forces in order to maintain that balance, to preserve a greater whole worth preserving.

If VU can find a way to embrace that duality -- like the theatre major who minors in business, or the engineering student who also is in Christ College -- then it will be all the stronger and more distinctive for it.

valpopal

I have been a bit uncomfortable with some of the invective coming from the anti-sale section that seems to take what could be an ethical argument and is using it to ramp up the attacks on Padilla as a person implying some pretty intense things including now that he perhaps liked or manipulated board of directors to get this result.
Clearly, Padilla could not be fully informative when he addressed the Board with his proposal since he unethically concealed the plan from the incoming museum director and the committee who hired him. Therefore, Padilla did not present the board with the museum director's analysis, opinions, and advice, as well as likely detrimental professional consequences for the university. Likewise, I doubt he did due diligence by chronicling for the Board details of the disastrous consequences in public relations and other areas when a similar sale was tried at three other universities in the past. Obviously, since he did not reach out to others in cooperation, he could not have guided the Board on the strong responses by faculty, students, donors, national institutions, etc. Therefore, the only conclusion can be that the Board made its decision without being fully informed, and I have heard some may now have second thoughts about this plan.

usc4valpo

David81 - well put and you need balance, but the media is unfortunately biasing these decisions at the liberal arts end and not on all sides. Maybe Valpo should not be a tech school, but without technical, professional degrees I don't think Valpo can exist, and people from ALL areas need to be heard.

I think Padilla is doing what he can with an awful situation. We would not want to be in his position, and good leaders need to make tough decisions. We don't need a Neville Chamberlain approach.

valpopal

Ironically, in 2016 when Padilla was Vice President and General Counsel at DePaul University, they published rules for sale of artworks from their university museum. Interestingly, it states: "Profits from any sale associated with deaccessioning are to be placed in the Art Endowment Fund and used for future purchases."

https://offices.depaul.edu/secretary/policies-procedures/policies/Documents/DePaul%20Art%20Museum%20Collection%20Deaccession.pdf

valpopal

Quote from: valpo22 on March 16, 2023, 11:25:25 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 16, 2023, 11:08:50 AM
Clearly, Padilla could not be fully informative when he addressed the Board with his proposal since he unethically concealed the plan from the incoming museum director and the committee who hired him. Therefore, Padilla did not present the board with the museum director's analysis, opinions, and advice, as well as likely detrimental professional consequences for the university. Likewise, I doubt he did due diligence by chronicling for the Board details of the disastrous consequences in public relations and other areas when a similar sale was tried at three other universities in the past. Obviously, since he did not reach out to others in cooperation, he could not have guided the Board on the strong responses by faculty, students, donors, national institutions, etc. Therefore, the only conclusion can be that the Board made its decision without being fully informed, and I have heard some may now have second thoughts about this plan.

Can we agree that the leadership's pattern of not consulting any of the relevant people these past couple years has been pretty dumb, but not necessarily a moral failure? there's a difference between dumb & counter-productive processes vs. vicious & duplicitous processes
I agree, but sometimes "dumb" is a result of being "duplicitous." In this case, not disclosing information concerning serious ethical issues to a hiring committee and a job applicant making a major move in his life, then continuing to conceal that information after the museum director has assumed his position, would be regarded as "duplicitous"...or "deceitful" if you prefer that word.

valpo95

I saw this article that St. Johns / St. Benedicts in Minnesota are phasing out 8 majors / minors. This is a well-regarded liberal arts institution (a merger of the men's and women's colleges). For the athletically inclined, St. Johns had one of the top D-III football programs in the USA, said to be the winningest football program in D-III history. (St. Thomas was its major sports rival.)

Incidentally, Mark Schwehn (former Dean of Christ College) had been a resident scholar and guest at St. Johns Collegeville Institute during his sabbaticals and visits.

Like VU, the majors being cut include the following:

Asian Studies
Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Classical Languages
French Studies
Gender Studies
German Studies
Peace Studies
Theater

Here is another example of an academically-focused university with a modest endowment (in this case $80M) cutting back on traditional liberal arts majors and minors due to declining enrollment.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/saint-johns-and-saint-benedicts-phasing-out-8-majors-9-minors/

ValpoDiaspora

Quote from: valpo95 on March 16, 2023, 01:20:20 PM
I saw this article that St. Johns / St. Benedicts in Minnesota are phasing out 8 majors / minors. ...

Here is another example of an academically-focused university with a modest endowment (in this case $80M) cutting back on traditional liberal arts majors and minors due to declining enrollment.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/saint-johns-and-saint-benedicts-phasing-out-8-majors-9-minors/

Gahh, another one. It's sad it seems often a matter of pre-existing wealth. It's like there's this line getting drawn across American higher ed, where the rich institutions above it are fine but everybody <$300 million endowment is selling a kidney or two. Maybe we really are returning to some Victorian era future where it is just the rich, or those who get to be beneficiaries of rich institutions, who have the chance to study the liberal arts.

usc4valpo

Folks needs to be a return out of their investments, especially with skyrocketing costs.

ValpoDiaspora

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2023, 02:33:33 PM
Folks needs to be a return out of their investments, especially with skyrocketing costs.

This board has beat this horse really dead. The same camps are just going to keep disagreeing on the extent to which university leadership is supposed to take parents' ROI market investment logic as a curricular guide or not, and whether that is a recipe for institutional survival or suicide.

vu72

Quote from: ValpoDiaspora on March 16, 2023, 02:09:21 PMMaybe we really are returning to some Victorian era future where it is just the rich, or those who get to be beneficiaries of rich institutions, who have the chance to study the liberal arts.

Perhaps as majors but as a Business college grad at Valpo I was required to have classes like English literature-- or maybe that was an elective--but i doubt I would have signed up for it deliberately! :lol:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Valpo Diaspora - be practical, it's the reality of the times. Most can't afford big dollars at a private school with the intent to explore one's passion. Maybe so 30 or 40 years ago, but not in 2023.

Another option is explore at a community college first and find what you want to do.

valpo95

As to ROI, it is clear that if you are in a STEM program, or a well-defined and in-demand major like Nursing or Accounting, there is a clear value proposition and thus an ROI. Then, it is easy to say, "you are an (engineering/science/business) major, you need to take these courses in (literature/art/history etc.) so that you are a well-rounded individual. It is more problematic for someone to be passionate about ancient Greece,  art history, or philosophy - those can be great passions, yet much harder to define the ROI.

As an Engineering and Christ College grad myself, I had a wonderful education at Valpo.

I also remember a wise engineering professor remarking to the class of freshmen or sophomores something like this: "You are studying engineering, and some of your liberal arts friends might look down on you or dismiss you for studying something practical or technical, all the while they are studying art, music, theology or philosophy, the liberal arts. You will have the opportunity to pursue any of those liberal arts topics throughout your lifetime. However, your classmates who are studying those other topics now will never have the opportunity to study engineering. Your hard work now opens up many opportunities later."  I didn't realize how true he was, and again how much I value both the engineering and humanities education I received.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2023, 03:01:41 PM
Valpo Diaspora - be practical, it's the reality of the times. Most can't afford big dollars at a private school with the intent to explore one's passion. Maybe so 30 or 40 years ago, but not in 2023.

Another option is explore at a community college first and find what you want to do.

But invoking broad statements about practicality and implying that the notion of pursuing one's passion is an indulgence overlooks a multiplicity of variables, including, but hardly limited to: (1) the actual cost of the degree, when factoring all non-loan sources of financing it; (2) the real possibility that some of these liberal arts passions are deeply intentional and can lead to viable careers (imagine that); and (3) the common pattern of following a liberal arts degree with a more "practical" professional or graduate degree, such as JD, MBA, or MD.

Furthermore, not everyone defines ROI in purely financial terms. Yes, all things being equal, having more money beats having less money, and being able to pay off student loans relatively easily beats struggling to make those payments every month. But all things aren't equal. Accordingly, some define ROI much more broadly, to include whether that degree program helped lead to a meaningful vocation that may not pay much, but brings enormous satisfaction.

crusader05

I think it's also important to remember that there are many degrees under the Liberal Arts that are required or necessary or hep in further graduate work including law school, therapists or social workers, and many many in business have a degree in some sort of Liberal Arts. Also, even some of the science based degrees will benefit from a liberal arts background while applying to medical school or working in science or other lab based work.

usc4valpo

I understand the importance of a liberal arts education, I also understand that Valparaiso is a private expensive school. Something to consider of course is the number of students in various majors. I noticed the secondary education is not available, but how many students at Valpo were majoring in secondary education before they eliminated that degree? 

If there is a market or interests for various types of study and it aligns with the identity of the university, then it is  sensible to invest in staffing and provide a quality program.

historyman

Quote from: DuneHwx on March 16, 2023, 10:41:06 AMLOUDER FOR THE FOLKS IN THE BACK

Quotethink that Valpo can and should survive as a Stem school. I also don't think the sale of the art or the closure of some programs indicate that the university thinks it should or that this means the university doesn't care about liberal arts.

We have been promised more and more but at the end it just ends up being the same article, with the same names, making the same arguments. I have seen some solutions bandied about that make me think many people have no idea what the actual situation is in higher ed. Lots of "there's got to be a better way to raise 10 million) ignoring a lot of the factors that the big driver for this is Time and Also that our alums only have so much money and at the end of the day Valpo cannot just sit there and beg a lot of our (most likely) old white men donors to fund everything. Other options that include selling something else ignore that you need a buyer for those other things and scaling down is not always good because the main things that are wrong with the dorms are probably the big money drivers (no air, old plumbing, bad windows etc) it's not sustainable. We need to use the assets we have, fundraising, and go aggressively after gov't and grant related funds as well as city partnerships to do this. They tried to lease out old buildings and they're trying to sell land. I'd imagine if they could just sell land for 10 million they would do it, the fact that they haven't might indicate it's not an option at this point.

A museum organization that we are not an official member of (because we are not a real museum) sanctioning us means less to me than a downgrade in our bond rating. I get this is existential in a lot of ways but this is starting to feel like a personal vendetta against the president and that is making me a bit more uncomfortable in this whole thing.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Padilla "...has insisted that any proceeds he raises through more traditional fundraising measures will support the creation of a new athletics center and nursing building. He believes those buildings, alongside the newly renovated dorms, will attract more students. (And yet, he also allegedly told one senior faculty member, who prefers to remain anonymous, that he will "not fundraise by asking old white guys for money." The potential donor pool for a Lutheran university in Indiana is,like the board of directors that hired Padilla, full of old, white guys.)"

How ironic that those who are so highly offended by the sale of art from the museum on ethical grounds are conspicuously silent about the blatant attempt at character assassination directed toward the president of the university you purport to care so deeply about. Unnamed sources? How convenient.

Have any of you taken the time to vet the source publication The New Republic, a militant, far left rag with an earned reputation for yellow journalism? Or, do you just glom onto anything that tickles your fancy?

With popcorn in hand, I await your replies.

https://newrepublic.com/article/171163/georgia-okeeffe-rust-red-hills-valparaiso-battle-soul-liberal-arts-college

usc4valpo

Incredibly biased article which is insanely unfair. Padilla needs some rope to make tough decisions.

crusader05

My theory is that he was probably stressing that at the end of the day just constantly asking our reliable donors( most likely older white men) for more money isn't viable as our only fundraising strategy. But the way it is cut off really allows it to sound like he has something against white men which is another one of those attacks that feels like the goal is to make people hate Padilla.

I have heard that he has been relentless in pursuing federal and state money and just will continue to ask no matter how many times he hears no.  I get people may not agree with the art decision but it seems odd to think he is working towards anything but the future relevance and success of the university.

valpo95

Given that this was a cowardly anonymous quote, I'm guessing something was lost in translation or else it was interpreted in the worst possible way.

Perhaps President Padilla said something in a one-on-one meeting something like the following, "It is very difficult for our current donor pool to support more fundraising, especially for dorm renovations. Our pool of donors is not diverse nor fantastically wealthy, and they stayed in those same dorms when they were students here. They have been very generous in the past, and have pledged a significant amount of their estates to VU in the Forever Valpo campaign... I can't keep going back to the same donors hoping they will pay for central air conditioning when there is no more they can give...Look, I know you are upset that the Theatre major was cut, yet I can't keep raising more funds from the same old donors."

valpopal

Just to supply information in regards to the use of an anonymous source, the general rules for journalism ethics as quoted from AP are:

1. The material is information and not opinion or speculation, and is vital to the report.
2. The information is not available except under the conditions of anonymity imposed by the source.
3. The source is reliable, and in a position to have direct knowledge of the information.

We have journalists on this board who can verify the ethical use of anonymous sources.

Nevertheless, curious and knowing there would be questions, I personally verified the source and that all three of the items above qualified. Therefore, there is nothing unethical in use of the quote, which was shared with Padilla, giving him an opportunity to comment. Additionally, I was informed there was nothing "lost in translation," neither in the content or the tone, which also was not out of character.

In regards to the bias of the article. I agree with those on here who say that the story leans in a certain way, but that is because this is obviously a personal essay in first person, not a news story. The author is a respected writer of various books, a VU alum, and someone who has been a guest speaker at Valpo a number of times, including being a featured speaker at this year's MLK celebration on campus. Obviously, he is highly regarded by the VU community as credible. Based upon his knowledge from evidence and experiences, the article represents his informed perception. My understanding is that he contacted Padilla with the article, and even gave him an opportunity to deny the quote under discussion or say anything he wanted about the contents. Padilla chose not to do so.

To be honest, I am less concerned about the specifics of the article or the various prominent news stories that have been published recently. I am bothered more by the fact these damaging consequences were all predictable, yet this questionable course of action was taken by the university anyway without due diligence. 

usc4valpo

so valpopal, if the article is a biased personal essay and not a news source, then in "good spirit" does it have to meet journalistic standards? Can you have it both ways? The answer is of course, look at CNN, FoxNews and MSNBC.

wh

Valpopal - Masciotra is not a journalist. He is an English major who found a way to monetize his essentially useless degree by becoming a radical left provocateur with a poison pen. His forte lies not in truth, but in the perversion of truth. He is accountable to no one but himself in adhering to journalistic standards. Any reference he makes to  an "unnamed source" is almost assuredly fabricated, despite your highly suspect claim to the contrary.

You might find the reference to Masciotra below educational:

The left's radical agenda to sexualize our public schools

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/nov/5/lefts-radical-agenda-to-sexualize-our-public-schoo/

David81

Pieces like this appear all the time in periodicals given to publishing news commentary with political slants, whether it's The New Republic on the left, The National Review on the right, and all places in-between and beyond. By their very nature -- as opinion pieces designed to persuade -- they are "biased," just as any piece favoring the art sale would be aptly tagged. The piece posted by WH is a biased opinion piece in a newspaper associated with far right points of view. Hey, it's expected that the writer has an opinion.

The unfortunate thing is that Valpo does not have enough of a national footprint for folks to be able to regard a piece like this without discomfort. If this controversy was brewing at Notre Dame or Indiana University or some other institution used to being in the news, it wouldn't be quite as unsettling to see institutional vulnerabilities and the sausage making process of academic decision making displayed for all to see.

In that sense, I'm not overly concerned about this particular national coverage. The art sale decision clearly reflects some of the challenges facing higher education today. And while representations of VU's overall financial circumstances are not fun to read, VU's challenges are shared with literally hundreds of other private colleges and universities across the U.S. (By contrast, the 2016 NYT article about the Law School basically revealed an institution bordering on a state of in extremis.)

Do these articles change many minds? Maybe not, especially when they are published in periodicals that play to the biases of their regular readers. It doesn't make the situation any more pleasant for President Padilla and the board, however. Indeed, once the sides starting lining up on this one, I knew they had boxed themselves into a difficult situation.