• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Strategic Plan

Started by vu72, August 06, 2022, 10:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

72, not sure where you are going. I like Padilla, I just hate stupidity and a few naive folks dictating what's best for the university. The basketball program is in the right direction and Valpo made a bold move to make improvements. If Lottich were still around that would be another story.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on July 23, 2023, 06:31:15 PMit's better to have your city on your side than isolated on an island all by yourself. In fact, there's never a time when having people who have your back is a bad thing.

Good point, wh. No arguing that. And I believe all of us on this board feel that way as well.   

But we've gone through a few presidents prior to Padilla, and none have been able to bridge that gap. Why?  I certainly have no solution — just try harder?  Didn't work before.

What is the key that will unlock the secret to a true town-gown partnership?

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2023, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: wh on July 23, 2023, 06:31:15 PMit's better to have your city on your side than isolated on an island all by yourself. In fact, there's never a time when having people who have your back is a bad thing.

Good point, wh. No arguing that. And I believe all of us on this board feel that way as well.   

But we've gone through a few presidents prior to Padilla, and none have been able to bridge that gap. Why?  I certainly have no solution — just try harder?  Didn't work before.

What is the key that will unlock the secret to a true town-gown partnership?

Ok, I'll bite on this one final time. Valpo doesn't have an effort problem, it has a brand problem. Its brand has become outdated and no longer resonates with its target audience. What was engaging in times past is disengaging today. People change, and brands need to change with them. Those that do survive. Those that don't...

vu84v2

First, wh raises a valid point, but I do not think this is realistic. I have previously made the point that if Valpo were to move in a stricter religious direction, 25% or more of its donors would discontinue their donations - which would include a reduction in the endowment since it includes pledged donations. However, I think that a different 25% or so would discontinue if Valpo dropped any religious affiliation. Further, while I am a strong believer in not violating the sunk cost fallacy, Valpo wouid still need to deal with having a very large chapel in the middle of its campus. But the point that religious faiths have become very tribal and, thus, a university offends many if it adheres to any direction is an interesting and valid point.

Second (and perhaps related to the first - admittedly, I do not know), I have never quite understood why the university and the town have not recognized the value that they could (or do) get from one another.

VULB#62

WH, I'd be more comfortable with your premise if VU had just suddenly lost its identity.

But post OP Kretzmann (my president, and I have no clue how that Valpo and that community related, but at the time I thought it was pretty good) since 1969, it appears that every subsequent president never was able to or wanted to close the town/gown gap. So this is not a new thing. This is not a branding issue. Valpo has always been a Lutheran university in a small NW Indiana community an hour or so away from Chicago. That hasn't changed although the community has grown and become a bit more upscale.  This has been an issue for 50+ years, not just recently. So, IMO, it's not branding. It's a fundamental disconnect for which I place responsibility on introverted, myopic leadership (probably a little harsh) which now is coming back to haunt.

Other colleges and towns regardless of the college orientation form bonds. Valpo has not bonded that well.  Has it been because it has remained insular instead of vigorously embracing and including its host community?  Maybe.

Here is a 'touchy' example of what might be:  the Brauer Art Museum.  The more I read about it, the more I am impressed, but I barely knew it existed until the recent controversy -  very understated promotion.  Might that understatement have also been true within the community? IDK.  But that is a potential bonding vehicle — especially with high profile artists as guests. But it's  got to be aggressively promoted, not only on campus and to alums, but vigorously in the community as well.

Another:  the Chapel of the Resurrection. When I was attending, the chapel was a multi-use facility.  Great seating capacity, beautiful environment, good acoustics.  Certainly not the venue for Guns and Roses now, but how about quarterly symphonies, well known pops orchestra concerts, all open and heavily promoted to the community?  Sure.

A non-Valpo example:  UWGB is remotely located from Green Bay itself. It's an effort to get to campus. Yet, they built The Weidner Center (a 2,100 seat performing arts center) on campus. It supports the university's theater arts program, but more relevantly, it brings in national road shows, concerts and plays that are open to all of Green Bay and the surrounding counties. It draws in the community. And it also happens to make money.

A non-college example:  Here in Manitowoc (pop. about 34,000) we have the Capitol Civic Center (capacity ~2,000) . A converted classic movie theater. It is home to the Manitowoc Symphony, countless touring plays and acts, a community theater group (The Masquers).  Shows are very well attended.  It is a great point of community pride. To my knowledge, the Valpo community does not have such a venue, but a community-involved university could provide one.

Now a view to the future. President Padilla has been clear about the development of a new arena. Most of us on the forum focus on the athletic component. But designed correctly with the surrounding community's needs also in mind, this could be a major bridge to the community, offering much more than athletic events and drawing the community on to campus.

None of this has to do with religious vs. secular branding. It is changing a mindset; opening the campus more to the surrounding community.  I think Padilla gets that.

Of course this addresses only only one issue and there are others that must also be addressed, for instance, like increasing promotion and recruitment to potential Lutheran applicants nationally (heretofore, almost ignored), and so on.

........ and ain't hindsight great.  ::)

wh

5 TOP REASONS WHY BRANDS FAIL

• It becomes outdated.
• It loses relevance in the market.
• Consumers get confused about or lose faith in what it stands for.
• When companies feel their brand cachet slipping away, they often copy what successful competitors are doing. But rather than standing out from the crowd, this "me too" approach makes the brand look like everyone else.
When consumers can no longer perceive a brand's unique value proposition, its failure is inevitable.

https://blmllc.com/5-top-reasons-why-brands-fail/#:~:text=A%20failed%20brand%20manifests%20itself%20in%20many%20ways.&text=It%20loses%20relevance%20in%20the,what%20successful%20competitors%20are%20doing.

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 24, 2023, 10:32:59 PM
WH, I'd be more comfortable with your premise if VU had just suddenly lost its identity.

But post OP Kretzmann (my president, and I have no clue how that Valpo and that community related, but at the time I thought it was pretty good) since 1969, it appears that every subsequent president never was able to or wanted to close the town/gown gap. So this is not a new thing. This is not a branding issue. Valpo has always been a Lutheran university in a small NW Indiana community an hour or so away from Chicago. That hasn't changed although the community has grown and become a bit more upscale.  This has been an issue for 50+ years, not just recently. So, IMO, it's not branding. It's a fundamental disconnect for which I place responsibility on introverted, myopic leadership (probably a little harsh) which now is coming back to haunt.

Other colleges and towns regardless of the college orientation form bonds. Valpo has not bonded that well.  Has it been because it has remained insular instead of vigorously embracing and including its host community?  Maybe.

Here is a 'touchy' example of what might be:  the Brauer Art Museum.  The more I read about it, the more I am impressed, but I barely knew it existed until the recent controversy -  very understated promotion.  Might that understatement have also been true within the community? IDK.  But that is a potential bonding vehicle — especially with high profile artists as guests. But it's  got to be aggressively promoted, not only on campus and to alums, but vigorously in the community as well.

Another:  the Chapel of the Resurrection. When I was attending, the chapel was a multi-use facility.  Great seating capacity, beautiful environment, good acoustics.  Certainly not the venue for Guns and Roses now, but how about quarterly symphonies, well known pops orchestra concerts, all open and heavily promoted to the community?  Sure.

A non-Valpo example:  UWGB is remotely located from Green Bay itself. It's an effort to get to campus. Yet, they built The Weidner Center (a 2,100 seat performing arts center) on campus. It supports the university's theater arts program, but more relevantly, it brings in national road shows, concerts and plays that are open to all of Green Bay and the surrounding counties. It draws in the community. And it also happens to make money.

A non-college example:  Here in Manitowoc (pop. about 34,000) we have the Capitol Civic Center (capacity ~2,000) . A converted classic movie theater. It is home to the Manitowoc Symphony, countless touring plays and acts, a community theater group (The Masquers).  Shows are very well attended.  It is a great point of community pride. To my knowledge, the Valpo community does not have such a venue, but a community-involved university could provide one.

Now a view to the future. President Padilla has been clear about the development of a new arena. Most of us on the forum focus on the athletic component. But designed correctly with the surrounding community's needs also in mind, this could be a major bridge to the community, offering much more than athletic events and drawing the community on to campus.

None of this has to do with religious vs. secular branding. It is changing a mindset; opening the campus more to the surrounding community.  I think Padilla gets that.

Of course this addresses only only one issue and there are others that must also be addressed, for instance, like increasing promotion and recruitment to potential Lutheran applicants nationally (heretofore, almost ignored), and so on.

........ and ain't hindsight great.  ::)

These are well thought out ideas which, if implemented, may well keep Valpo paddling up stream a little longer. Like a shot of adrenaline.

crusadermoe

One note on Bradley.  WH rightly praises them for their high number of heavyweight local influencers.  That influence may be even stronger by percentage of the 17 member board.  Maybe 8-10 of the 17 are local or worked locally before retiring?  If so, that could be 50% influence or more.  I see some CAT names and OSF hospital.  Two are legal/political in central Illinois. Hard to tell the others.

I like Lutheran roots for VU board members, but I concede easily that folks outside NWI would not have their ear to the ground in NWI or be able to influence on-site events and campus visits.  I think Valpo has a much bigger board. Can anyone who knows that group take a stab at how many are local corporate or business leaders?  No need to name names.  Just looking at a percent who have local influence.

Valpo2010

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 25, 2023, 02:57:47 PMCan anyone who knows that group take a stab at how many are local corporate or business leaders?  No need to name names.  Just looking at a percent who have local influence.

https://www.valpo.edu/about/leadership/board-of-directors-of-the-lutheran-university-association-inc-dba-valparaiso-university/

Here is a current list of Valpo's Board taken from the link above:
David A. Bochnowski, Munster, IN
Cristal M. Brisco, '02 Granger, IN
Luther C. Brunette, Carmel, IN
Jeffrey H. Dobbs '77, Leawood, KS
Mark H. Duesenberg '84, Rocky River, OH
Susan Jenny Ehr '82, London, England
Carolyn Schlie Femovich '71, Hellertown, PA
Christopher Good, Larchmont, NY
Robert D. Hansen, Jr. '82, (Chair) Greensboro, GA
Mark P. Helge '71, Rockford, IL
Danielle Carter '06 Iddins, '08, (VUAA President) Indianapolis, IN
Colette J. Irwin-Knott '81, Zionsville, IN
Frederick G. Kraegel '70, Henrico, VA
Bruce R. Laning '81, St. Francis, WI
Marian J. Moon '72, Arcadia, OK
Andrew N. Nunemaker '91, Milwaukee, WI
Noe M. Ortega, Hummelstown, PA
José D. Padilla (University President), Valparaiso, IN
Christopher Petrini-Poli '95, Lake Bluff, IL
John W. Shelton '80, Frankenmuth, MI
Philip C. Spahn '95, Chicago, IL
Jon A. Steinbrecher '83, Rocky River, OH
Paul A. Strasen '78, Littleton, CO
Julie M. Winkler '96,  (Vice Chair) Naperville, IL
Susan G. Zeeb  (Guild Chair), Lake Villa, IL

Bochnowski is the only local business leader I recognize from the list.  He's the recently retired CEO of Peoples Bank (https://www.ibankpeoples.com/about-us/executive-team) where his son succeeded him as CEO. 

David81

From my concededly bird's eye view, I'll hypothesize that there's much more hope for a positive town-gown relationship than in decades past, because Valparaiso as a community is more educated and, frankly, more affluent than the one that many of us knew during our respective student days.

Valparaiso of 40/50/60 years ago was more rural Indiana than Chicago suburb/exurb. From a VU student's perspective, I thought of Valparaiso as a town abutting a university rather than as a university town. And that town square was a sleepy remnant of the 50s....even during the 70s and 80s! LOL.

That area feels very different today, and I'm guessing those committed to a robust future for Valparaiso -- merchants and public officials alike -- would be more open to entreaties from VU to work towards common interests than those who preceded them.

Again, this is based totally on look-and-feel contrasts of modern Valparaiso vs. mid/late 20th century Valparaiso.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 24, 2023, 10:32:59 PMTo my knowledge, the Valpo community does not have such a venue, but a community-involved university could provide one.

https://chicagostreet.org/

https://www.memorialoperahouse.com/theatre-info.html

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Re:  The Chicago Street Theater. A beautiful little theater that seats about 45.

Re:  The Memorial Opera house - Good range of events. Similar to the Capital Civic Center I mentioned previously. But it only holds 352 guests for events as far as I have found. Some of those productions could draw bigger audiences in a larger facility which VU could provide. For context, Manitowoc is a blue collar city of 34,000 and soidly supports its 2000+ seat Capitol Civic Center.

Both Valparaiso locations are intimate venues for limited events. They sit in a narrow niche and are intrinsically and historically valuable. But the city now has nearly 35,000 residents.  And over the past couple of decades that growing population has also gotten increasingly upscale (which generally means more culturally aware). VU has the potential for greater capacity for cultural events to serve that demographic.

I'm certainly not saying VU compete with existing community organizations and activities. I am suggesting that there may be different or larger events that could be beneficial to the community that the university could support and provide bigger and more appropriate venues. All it needs is finding a way to reach out and draw in community groups to use VU facilities to the community's greater benefit. And of course VU could also add to the mix on their own.  It'll be a big win-win.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 25, 2023, 09:19:22 PM
Re:  The Chicago Street Theater. A beautiful little theater that seats about 45.

Re:  The Memorial Opera house - Good range of events. Similar to the Capital Civic Center I mentioned previously. But it only holds 352 guests for events as far as I have found. Some of those productions could draw bigger audiences in a larger facility which VU could provide. .

Both are intimate venues for limited events. They sit in a narrow niche.  They are intrinsically valuable. But the city now has nearly 35,000 residents.  And over the past couple of decades that growing population has also gotten increasingly upscale (which generally means more culturally aware). VU has the potential for greater capacity for cultural events to serve that demographic.

I'm certainly not saying VU compete with existing community organizations and activities. I am suggesting that there may be different or larger events that could be beneficial to the community that the university could support and provide bigger and more appropriate venues. All it needs is finding a way to reach out and draw in community groups to use VU facilities to the community's greater benefit. It'll be a big win-win.

These are excellent ideas. BTW, Valpo wisely follows a conservative planned growth strategy to avoid urban sprawl and maintain property values. Including areas outside the city limits, adjacent townships, etc., total population is considerably higher. The retail sector on the east end with its multiple national brands, 4 hotels, numerous eateries, specialty stores, etc. can't be supported by 35,000 residents alone.

valpotx

Quote from: Valpo2010 on July 25, 2023, 04:29:35 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on July 25, 2023, 02:57:47 PMCan anyone who knows that group take a stab at how many are local corporate or business leaders?  No need to name names.  Just looking at a percent who have local influence.

https://www.valpo.edu/about/leadership/board-of-directors-of-the-lutheran-university-association-inc-dba-valparaiso-university/

Here is a current list of Valpo's Board taken from the link above:
David A. Bochnowski, Munster, IN
Cristal M. Brisco, '02 Granger, IN
Luther C. Brunette, Carmel, IN
Jeffrey H. Dobbs '77, Leawood, KS
Mark H. Duesenberg '84, Rocky River, OH
Susan Jenny Ehr '82, London, England
Carolyn Schlie Femovich '71, Hellertown, PA
Christopher Good, Larchmont, NY
Robert D. Hansen, Jr. '82, (Chair) Greensboro, GA
Mark P. Helge '71, Rockford, IL
Danielle Carter '06 Iddins, '08, (VUAA President) Indianapolis, IN
Colette J. Irwin-Knott '81, Zionsville, IN
Frederick G. Kraegel '70, Henrico, VA
Bruce R. Laning '81, St. Francis, WI
Marian J. Moon '72, Arcadia, OK
Andrew N. Nunemaker '91, Milwaukee, WI
Noe M. Ortega, Hummelstown, PA
José D. Padilla (University President), Valparaiso, IN
Christopher Petrini-Poli '95, Lake Bluff, IL
John W. Shelton '80, Frankenmuth, MI
Philip C. Spahn '95, Chicago, IL
Jon A. Steinbrecher '83, Rocky River, OH
Paul A. Strasen '78, Littleton, CO
Julie M. Winkler '96,  (Vice Chair) Naperville, IL
Susan G. Zeeb  (Guild Chair), Lake Villa, IL

Bochnowski is the only local business leader I recognize from the list.  He's the recently retired CEO of Peoples Bank (https://www.ibankpeoples.com/about-us/executive-team) where his son succeeded him as CEO. 

Good to see Cristal's name on here, as I didn't know any Valpo BoD folks were from my time on campus as of yet.  She was on the Crusaderettes with my ex. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Pretty impressive group!

Bochnowski--Retired CEO of a regional bank

Brisco--Indiana Superior Court Judge

Brunette--Pastor of a 3500 member Lutheran Church

Dobbs--Partner Arthur Andersen

Duesenberg--Harvard law grad

Jenny Ehr--International Banker

Femovich--Executive Director of the Patriot League

etc, etc, etc,!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

OK, I got my answer.  In its 40-mile radiuis Valpo has two board members: the businessman above and a judge from Granger.  So 1 of 30 is 3% and 2 of 30 is 6% local influence and awareness.

Look up the Bradley Univ. board on its website and see that WH comments are insightful about board make up and the Bradley  opportunity to receive Peoria businesses' endorsement and influence. 

DuneHwx

For what it's worth, if Valpo adopted the same rules and principles as Liberty I wouldn't allow my kid to go there. While I understand it may look attractive to go to the extreme, that knife cuts both ways.

crusader05

Honest question: Did the board pick and choose who to fire or did whoever recommended which programs to discontinue not do their due diligence or decide those grants were not worth maintaining the position? I ask because some of those decisions might be laid at the boards feet or it could have been due to the nature of the discontinuance process not considering those because grant funding is temporary and might not matter if you have a program that has 3 professors and 3 students total in the major in regards to cost vs benefit?

I do think we need more community investment with the university. Not just because it will help in getting larger grants or more positive relationships but because you then may not always have to rely on just your alums for donations. I know Butler has gotten sizable donations from members of the community who valued a program or experience they had because of what the university offered and NWI has many large corporations with philanthropic arms that might be open to donating somewhere other than PNW or IUN. One sign that might show a positive move is that advancement has recently hired to well known and connected members of the community in Marie Foster-Burns and another person from the Valpo community whose name is currently escaping me.

VULB#62

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 26, 2023, 10:06:09 AM
OK, I got my answer.  In its 40-mile radiuis Valpo has two board members: the businessman above and a judge from Granger.  So 1 of 30 is 3% and 2 of 30 is 6% local influence and awareness.

Look up the Bradley Univ. board on its website and see that WH comments are insightful about board make up and the Bradley  opportunity to receive Peoria businesses' endorsement and influence.

Moe, you and WH make a compelling argument. If VU is to enter into a better relationship with the city that hosts it, the citizens of that community need to feel involved on certain matters. Obviously, deeply academic decisions and matters of doctrine would be of less interest than, say, campus expansion or strategic business planning.  But by increasing local citizen presence on the BoT it should engender more community involvement, better town/gown communication and mutual cooperation.  End result:  an improved, more vibrant campus culture that adds further attractiveness for potential students.  And over time it is not improbable to visualize a billboard saying "Valparaiso, the home of Valparaiso University" compared to "Valparaiso, yeah, we have a college." 😉

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 26, 2023, 11:42:40 AM
If VU is to enter into a better relationship with the city that hosts it, the citizens of that community need to feel involved on certain matters. Obviously, deeply academic decisions and matters of doctrine would be of less interest than, say, campus expansion or strategic business planning.  But by increasing local citizen presence on the BoT it should engender more community involvement, better town/gown communication and mutual cooperation.  End result:  an improved, more vibrant campus culture that adds further attractiveness for potential students.  And over time it is not improbable to visualize a billboard saying "Valparaiso, the home of Valparaiso University" compared to "Valparaiso, yeah, we have a college." 😉
Valparaiso is a complicated city, which has been part of its appeal to me and my wife, a VU alum whose family has lived here nearly 70 years. There has always been a split between town and gown, though I am told it was less prominent decades ago when there would be such things as homecoming parades through downtown. In recent decades, some of the separation has grown more pointedly ideological. For example, in 2020 voters in Porter County supported all the Republican political candidates in a sweep across the board, with straight party ballots going to the GOP by a 54-45 margin, 1% went Libertarian. Likewise, Trump won the state by a 57-41 margin. Yet, on campus Trump's name was tacitly forbidden to be spoken unless modified by an expletive, and I wouldn't be surprised if the faculty voted 90% Democrat. In 2016, Trump won Indiana by a 20-point margin (57-37), took 60 of the state's 64 counties, and the campus was funereal the following days with some classes cancelled so that "grieving and healing sessions" could occur.

Economically, the split is evident as well. Valparaiso is regarded as an upper-income area compared to some surrounding locations, and sometimes stereotyped as snobbish. The downtown area has been wonderfully developed into a dining and entertainment center. The many restaurants are excellent, the Central Park events are well attended with overflow crowds, and the neighborhood residences are multiplying with upscale living. There are some mixed reactions to these changes. Obviously, the Republicans in office support the urban improvements. In fact, the former mayor responsible for much of the development will be returning to the office as he is coming out of retirement to run again. However, faculty from the university have vocally opposed the new construction, preferring that the city add more affordable rentals for low-income households. Many residents of the city, along with the Republicans, like the tax base brought by the new influx of higher-income individuals, but are wary of the downtown becoming an extension of Valparaiso University's more liberal population.

Yesterday, I met a couple of retired professors at a downtown coffee shop with $5 lattes, as I regularly do. With smooth jazz music playing softly in the background, conversation ranged from the hot weather and climate change to the university's enrollment situation and optimism for the basketball team. Afterward, I came home, about a half mile from downtown, and I helped a neighbor build a deck on the back of his house. My neighbor is a postal worker and he had a dozen friends or relatives assisting. Some wore Trump 2024 hats, others wore Cubs or NASCAR caps, and we listened to loud country music while working. Beer (not Bud Light) was available for drinking. A couple of the women were enjoying sunbathing and nobody spoke of climate change. The difference in atmosphere was distinct but also what I appreciate about this town.

I agree with others here that a greater connection between the university and the surrounding community is desired. I would love to see locals support VU athletics the way they do the high school sports teams. I remember fondly the following Homer with Bryce (plus Redmon, Cavanaugh, Schmidt, Jones, and other local players) brought from the community. I welcome ideas for strengthening town-gown connections without diluting the variety of experiences and perspectives the Valparaiso community offers.     

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 30, 2023, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 26, 2023, 11:42:40 AM
If VU is to enter into a better relationship with the city that hosts it, the citizens of that community need to feel involved on certain matters. Obviously, deeply academic decisions and matters of doctrine would be of less interest than, say, campus expansion or strategic business planning.  But by increasing local citizen presence on the BoT it should engender more community involvement, better town/gown communication and mutual cooperation.  End result:  an improved, more vibrant campus culture that adds further attractiveness for potential students.  And over time it is not improbable to visualize a billboard saying "Valparaiso, the home of Valparaiso University" compared to "Valparaiso, yeah, we have a college." 😉
Valparaiso is a complicated city, which has been part of its appeal to me and my wife, a VU alum whose family has lived here nearly 70 years. There has always been a split between town and gown, though I am told it was less prominent decades ago when there would be such things as homecoming parades through downtown. In recent decades, some of the separation has grown more pointedly ideological. For example, in 2020 voters in Porter County supported all the Republican political candidates in a sweep across the board, with straight party ballots going to the GOP by a 54-45 margin, 1% went Libertarian. Likewise, Trump won the state by a 57-41 margin. Yet, on campus Trump's name was tacitly forbidden to be spoken unless modified by an expletive, and I wouldn't be surprised if the faculty voted 90% Democrat. In 2016, Trump won Indiana by a 20-point margin (57-37), took 60 of the state's 64 counties, and the campus was funereal the following days with some classes cancelled so that "grieving and healing sessions" could occur.

Economically, the split is evident as well. Valparaiso is regarded as an upper-income area compared to some surrounding locations, and sometimes stereotyped as snobbish. The downtown area has been wonderfully developed into a dining and entertainment center. The many restaurants are excellent, the Central Park events are well attended with overflow crowds, and the neighborhood residences are multiplying with upscale living. There are some mixed reactions to these changes. Obviously, the Republicans in office support the urban improvements. In fact, the former mayor responsible for much of the development will be returning to the office as he is coming out of retirement to run again. However, faculty from the university have vocally opposed the new construction, preferring that the city add more affordable rentals for low-income households. Many residents of the city, along with the Republicans, like the tax base brought by the new influx of higher-income individuals, but are wary of the downtown becoming an extension of Valparaiso University's more liberal population.

Yesterday, I met a couple of retired professors at a downtown coffee shop with $5 lattes, as I regularly do. With smooth jazz music playing softly in the background, conversation ranged from the hot weather and climate change to the university's enrollment situation and optimism for the basketball team. Afterward, I came home, about a half mile from downtown, and I helped a neighbor build a deck on the back of his house. My neighbor is a postal worker and he had a dozen friends or relatives assisting. Some wore Trump 2024 hats, others wore Cubs or NASCAR caps, and we listened to loud country music while working. Beer (not Bud Light) was available for drinking. A couple of the women were enjoying sunbathing and nobody spoke of climate change. The difference in atmosphere was distinct but also what I appreciate about this town.

I agree with others here that a greater connection between the university and the surrounding community is desired. I would love to see locals support VU athletics the way they do the high school sports teams. I remember fondly the following Homer with Bryce (plus Redmon, Cavanaugh, Schmidt, Jones, and other local players) brought from the community. I welcome ideas for strengthening town-gown connections without diluting the variety of experiences and perspectives the Valparaiso community offers.     

In fairness, there has been some effort to engage with the community through United Way. In the early 2000's the UWPC President approached President Harre about selecting a representative to serve on the UW Board. Subsequently, the late Roy Austensen and Bruce Berner both served extended Board terms, including board officer positions. Fast forwarding to the present, I see that VU has a representative, Carolyn Whittier, on UW of NWI, a merger of Lake and Porter County UW's. That is a high profile BOD representing business, heavy industrial, education, government, the state-controlled RDA, NWI Forum, etc.

UW NWI BOD
https://unitedwaynwi.org/board-of-directors/

wh

Engagement is only meaningful if the community values it. Purdue University Northwest has a high value-add Leadership Institute, dedicated to developing current and future leaders in the NWI community. This is an an example of meaningful community engagement. I think a possibility exists that Valpo could partner with PNW on this.

Purdue University Northwest Leadership Institute
At the Purdue University Northwest Leadership Institute, we prepare great leaders of all ages to excel in an increasingly competitive global environment.

IN THIS SECTION
About Us
Leadership Northwest Indiana
Explorer Academy
LEAD Academy
Young Leaders Academy
Lunch and Lead
https://www.pnw.edu/leadership-institute/

REGIONAL PROFESSIONALS COMPLETE 2022-23 LEADERSHIP NORTHWEST INDIANA PROGRAM
By: Purdue University Northwest
Last Updated: May 17, 2023

https://nwi.life/article/regional-professionals-complete-2022-23-leadership-northwest-indiana-program/

usc4valpo

22 - I agree where you are going as long as there is understanding and collaboration with8n the group. We need solutions and not something representing Congress.

vu84v2

valpo22 - I was with you until your argument that everyone gets the $5 Little Caesars pizzas. People from all backgrounds need to go for better pizza than that!

usc4valpo

Ok, seriously - in 2016, Valparaiso university had to provide services for students pissed off about the election results? Are we an extension of Oberlin. Did the excess cocoa and crayons rip into our endowment? Unreal.

valpopal

22: I believe you misread my statements. I wrote: "Valparaiso is regarded as an upper-income area compared to some surrounding locations, and sometimes stereotyped as snobbish. The downtown area has been wonderfully developed into a dining and entertainment center. The many restaurants are excellent, the Central Park events are well attended with overflow crowds, and the neighborhood residences are multiplying with upscale living." I was speaking about the city as upscale and perceived as snobbish by surrounding towns, and I was not referencing the faculty there. In fact, I commented that "faculty from the university have vocally opposed the new construction, preferring that the city add more affordable rentals for low-income households." This is where a split has happened.

As for faculty living conditions, I am not surprised when you say "most of the staff & faculty I know in their 30s or 40s are renters." When I first came to Valpo I rented for 8 years, buying my first home only after securing tenure. This seemed prudent. I purchased my first house in the 90s and upgraded to a home twice as large ten years later. I wish my houses appreciated to the 4-times price you suggest. The valuation has been more like a doubling during the past three decades. In fact, I have a niece and a nephew in their mid-20s, both of whom bought nice houses in good Valpo neighborhoods within the past six months: one paid 275k and the other 295k. I don't consider that exorbitantly priced housing.