• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 4 San Diego Homecoming

Started by valpofb16, September 19, 2022, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

#105 San Diego heads to #116 Valparaiso. Massey is calling for a Torreros win.

I think this is a very pivotal game for Fox's iteration of this program. A win here with a 2-2 start would be quite the statement.

Player to watch on San Diego is Chris Childers who comes from the Big 10 and Iu. The starting QB is a Colorado State bounce back and the back up (who plays quite a lot/running downs) is Temple bounce back. Expect a lot of read option after Dartmouth

Beacs have a lot of talent and season has been admirable.

21-14 Beacs?

usc4valpo

Will Champ Kind be in the press box? Whammy!!

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 19, 2022, 01:50:18 PM
Will Champ Kind be in the press box? Whammy!!

This must be an inside joke. I've no idea what you are talking about.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

usc4valpo

NotBryceDrew

usc4valpo

Champ would take the under.

"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. "

valpofb16

Update

7-0 San Diego:

Horton beat deep again. Quite the talent gap between the San Diego DL and Valpo OL. Not sure how Dawson has one carry when Valpo got the ball at the 40 twice

14-0 San Diego:

Trick play but man beat deep was once again Horton. Had a 3&19 deep in San Diego territory, Childers broke free. Offense is non existent

14-7 San Diego

Great drive for Beacs. Kaplan came in and added quite a different dynamic as a running QB. Nice to see OC had a plan B

14-13 San Diego

Great job by Fleming to get the defense spread. Trick play touch down from Dawson to Labus. Really makes no sense to go for 2 there...

20-14 Valpo!

Play action touchdown from Kaplan to Labus. Fleming really opened it up with personnel. Seen 4 RBs and 2 QBs

28-14 Valpo!

Kaplan big bomb to Davis. Jernegan a catch for the 2 Pointer. Defense is outstanding. 9-2 is in play

28-21 Valpo

Blocked field goal was fine. Defense played very well. Fumbled on their own twenty with game put away. Not sure why they switched RBs hurt timing

vu72

VALPO WINS!!  Out played San Diego and other than a couple of bone head plays would have won relatively easily.  Well done!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Party time at Tino's for a victory jazz flute rendition!l

JD24

David81

I've been lurking around this board for many years, going back to seasons so bad that I wondered if VU should continue its football program.

With this win building on top of a gritty non-conference schedule, it's the first time I've felt like something truly different and special is happening here.

Way cool.  :)

usc4valpo

Great win for Valpo. They are recruiting much better and they have competent coaching. I hope the students are engaged and appreciating this success.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 24, 2022, 08:01:52 PMI hope the students are engaged and appreciating this success.

I wish I could have been at the game to see the students reactions.  The attendance was 225 more than Indiana Wesleyan but there were 1000 alumni in town. The Wesleyan team probably had 500 fans there while San Diego had about 30.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Fox really is an outstanding defensive coach. After benching Horton for Rao the defense was borderline flawless (minus the post  fumble grab)

Taking Franco with one offer as a CB then moving him to OLB and have him playing this way at 5'9 190 as a Sophomore is amazing

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 24, 2022, 08:34:58 PMFox really is an outstanding defensive coach. After benching Horton for Rao the defense was borderline flawless (minus the post  fumble grab) Taking Franco with one offer as a CB then moving him to OLB and have him playing this way at 5'9 190 as a Sophomore is amazing
I heard Fox is on the hot seat.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 24, 2022, 08:34:58 PM
Fox really is an outstanding defensive coach. After benching Horton for Rao the defense was borderline flawless (minus the post  fumble grab)

Taking Franco with one offer as a CB then moving him to OLB and have him playing this way at 5'9 190 as a Sophomore is amazing

Horton wasn't benched. He came up lame on the long touchdown. Looked like a hamstring. He was in a lot of pain on the sideline. Athletic trainers were working on it for a while.

valpotx

Fun win, and bodes well for the next month of games.  Big fan of Fox for a few seasons, and the new OC seems to be doing some interesting things, versus prior Valpo bubble screen crap
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Enjoying the replay on ESPN3.  Valpo is certainly an upper-echelon PFL team...and now it's off to our first game ever in the state of South Carolina...

usc4valpo

Fox of course is not on the hot seat unlike the mens BB coach. However, be aware Fox will likely look at bigger opportunistic in the future. this football program is a stepping stone coaches,which is OK

David81

By the way, I liked how Coach Fox, in the post-game press conference, brought up in his opening remarks the execution issues that made the end of the game more dramatic than necessary: Blocked FG att, fumbled snap, long TD pass. And the demeanor of the players who joined him was more one of satisfaction than celebration.

It speaks of a team that has expectations of itself rather than mere hope. The late game almost-meltdown may prove to be a blessing in disguise, a reminder of the sustained level of play necessary to beat other good teams and to put games away.

valpofb16

USC I'm not so sure. Fox was a D3 player, spent 12 years at non scholarship Dayton (worked for Rick Chamberlain whose a lifer there).

If you build a sustainable winning program with house + kids set (Fox has a very nice spot from what I've been told) sometimes rebuilding elsewhere can be daunting.

Maybe wishful thinking but 6 figures and a program that is yours at a school where .500 keeps you employed. Tough to walk away (for example see Dale Lindsey , Rick Chamberlain)

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 25, 2022, 11:39:14 AM
USC I'm not so sure. Fox was a D3 player, spent 12 years at non scholarship Dayton (worked for Rick Chamberlain whose a lifer there).

If you build a sustainable winning program with house + kids set (Fox has a very nice spot from what I've been told) sometimes rebuilding elsewhere can be daunting.

Maybe wishful thinking but 6 figures and a program that is yours at a school where .500 keeps you employed. Tough to walk away (for example see Dale Lindsey , Rick Chamberlain)

Great observations.

I'm going to sound like an old fart (because that's becoming an accurate characterization), but there can be a point where ambition (as in climbing to perceived higher levels) gives way to satisfaction about being in a good place, where you can do quality work and make a difference. VU's football program has been waiting for such a guy for a long time. Maybe Coach Fox is it.

usc4valpo

Fox is a young dude and he may have higher ambitions. If suitors provide offers he may take. However, he needs some winning seasons First.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 25, 2022, 05:27:13 PM
Fox is a young dude and he may have higher ambitions. If suitors provide offers he may take. However, he needs some winning seasons First.

Good point. He must be in his early 40s, so yes, he could have several more moves in him.

So...is he a program builder, i.e., a guy who wants to turn around a football program and demonstrate sustained success before considering other jobs, or a guy who will be on the active lookout after one strong season, figuring there are no assurances of continued winning seasons in non-scholarship DI?

If the former, he could be around for at least another 3-4 seasons. If the latter, we could find out as soon as after this season.

This program needs a guy who won't cut and run at the first sign of success.